GLC63s, GLC63, GLC43 AMG SUV and Coupe (X253, C253) 2015 - Present

Full Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 04:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
soon-to-be 2018 glc43
Full Audio Upgrade

Figured i'd share here as well. Here's part of my build. Have some scan speak 12m midrange speakers in the pillars with scan speak r3004 tweets in the sails. Also used the Navtv module to decode the MOST150 optical signal which then goes into the Helix dsp pro mkii. From there it goes optical to my focal FDP 6.900 amps. Don't have a good picture of the Audio Development w800neo 8" midbass speakers mounted in the stock firewall location. For the sub, I have an illusion carbon c12xl. I didn't want to have to move the fuse boxes around in the trunk, thus the sub is located off to the side. I wanted to still be able to make full use of the trunk as well. All OEM controls still work as usual. Tuning is everything, sounds pretty good right now.

The following 3 users liked this post by eling23:
benzdude (05-02-2020), MrKWP (03-26-2020), scotchy (12-07-2019)
Old 12-06-2019, 01:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
GLC63
Nice to see someone else upgrading the audio in the GLC. I couldn't find much resource for inspiration on audio upgrades in the GLC so I went ahead and got to work.

Car's stock system was the Burmester in the GLC63.

The system ending up looking like this:

Morel Hybrid 402 Components in front and rear - (this was not an easy task in the rear doors, couldn't get the depth needed - mods to door panel and top mounting was the solution)
Eton MB195 8" Midranges for front footwells - (plug and play)
Helix DSP3 Sound Processor
2 x JL Audio 13TW5v2 (fiberglassed enclosure hidden beneath the floor)
JL Audio HD1200/1 (powering subs)
JL Audio XD600/6v2 (powering components and front Eton mids)

I used the 'CT10MC03 Parrot Harness' for tapping into the outputs of the factory amplifier to enable easy revert to factory specs.

Eling23 - How does the 'MOST150 optical signal' work for you? Did you take this direct signal input into the Helix DSP? How about the Sirius XM optical signal which also goes into the factory amp, does this feed into your Helix also? Nice amp rack, how did you build this - it looks completely OEM.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:08 PM

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts
AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by eling23
Figured i'd share here as well. Here's part of my build. Have some scan speak 12m midrange speakers in the pillars with scan speak r3004 tweets in the sails. Also used the Navtv module to decode the MOST150 optical signal which then goes into the Helix dsp pro mkii. From there it goes optical to my focal FDP 6.900 amps. Don't have a good picture of the Audio Development w800neo 8" midbass speakers mounted in the stock firewall location. For the sub, I have an illusion carbon c12xl. I didn't want to have to move the fuse boxes around in the trunk, thus the sub is located off to the side. I wanted to still be able to make full use of the trunk as well. All OEM controls still work as usual. Tuning is everything, sounds pretty good right now.

I can't tell exactly where you have the amps mounted. Where are they?
Old 12-06-2019, 02:14 PM

GLC63
Not the OP but I can tell you they're mounted under the trunk floor, there's a deep well just behind the rear seats. This is where I built an enclosure for 2 subs, I spent many hours there!!!
Old 12-06-2019, 04:33 PM

soon-to-be 2018 glc43
[QUOTE=roo_doo;7920928

Eling23 - How does the 'MOST150 optical signal' work for you? Did you take this direct signal input into the Helix DSP? How about the Sirius XM optical signal which also goes into the factory amp, does this feed into your Helix also? Nice amp rack, how did you build this - it looks completely OEM.[/QUOTE]

I got the Navtv module ZEN-M https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT871/zen-m.html
It's great and is an easy install. There is zero floor noise. The optical signal which outputs from the OEM HU is routed to this module. There's instructions and a diagram of this on the product website. From there an optical cable connects the Navtv module to my helix DSP. The helix dsp is able to output optical too so I have an optical signal running from the helix dsp to my focal amps. On a side note, I also ran a set of analog RCAs from the navtv module to the helix dsp (but i mainly use the optical input). Also i did not have the burmeister stock system so i had to purchase their re-programmer which enables the OEM HU to output an optical signal and changes it to function as a burmeister HU. Everything works like normal even the backup and forward beeps. I didn't renew my Sirius/XM subscription so I have not tested to see if i get any output. Let me try tonight and i'll snap a few more pics of my trunk setup.

Last edited by eling23; 12-06-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:42 PM

soon-to-be 2018 glc43
Originally Posted by roo_doo
Morel Hybrid 402 Components in front and rear - (this was not an easy task in the rear doors, couldn't get the depth needed - mods to door panel and top mounting was the solution)
Eton MB195 8" Midranges for front footwells - (plug and play)
Helix DSP3 Sound Processor
2 x JL Audio 13TW5v2 (fiberglassed enclosure hidden beneath the floor)
JL Audio HD1200/1 (powering subs)
JL Audio XD600/6v2 (powering components and front Eton mids)
Nice components. The morels 402 were on my list of midranges too. Hows the Etons? Are they able to play low? I found the frequency response for the driver's side footwell to not go as low probably due to the lack of airspace on that side of the footwell. For some reason it seemed different.
None the less, please share some pics if you have them! I too was trying to look for inspirations but didn't find many.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:55 PM

GLC63
It's great and is an easy install. There is zero floor noise. The optical signal which outputs from the OEM HU is routed to this module. There's instructions and a diagram of this on the product website. From there an optical cable connects the Navtv module to my helix DSP. The helix dsp is able to output optical too so I have an optical signal running from the helix dsp to my focal amps. On a side note, I also ran a set of analog RCAs from the navtv module to the helix dsp (but i mainly use the optical input). Also i did not have the burmeister stock system so i had to purchase their re-programmer which enables the OEM HU to output an optical signal and changes it to function as a burmeister HU. Everything works like normal even the backup and forward beeps. I didn't renew my Sirius/XM subscription so I have not tested to see if i get any output. Let me try tonight and i'll snap a few more pics of my trunk setup.
So when you're feeding the amplified signal back to your speakers are you tapping into the factory wiring or have you done separate runs to each speaker?

What have you done with your center speaker? Did you disable it or how have you tuned this on the DSP?

Do the Audio Development w800neo's fit in the factory locations without mods?
Old 12-06-2019, 05:05 PM

GLC63
Nice components. The morels 402 were on my list of midranges too. Hows the Etons? Are they able to play low? I found the frequency response for the driver's side footwell to not go as low probably due to the lack of airspace on that side of the footwell. For some reason it seemed different.
None the less, please share some pics if you have them! I too was trying to look for inspirations but didn't find many.
The Morels are so nice, they're so composed and clarity is great. The Eton's aren't bad at all, I've crossed them at 80-200hz so not relying on them for sub-bass. The 13TW5v2's really hit hard, so I dedicate the Eton's to giving the lower fill that the 4" Morels just can't physically provide.

I shall share some pics, cars currently in service for misfire issues! lol

I had such a fight getting the Morels to fit in the factory locations, I was amazed when I saw the effort you had gone to - nice work - did you do the fiberglass work yourself?
Old 12-09-2019, 12:40 AM

soon-to-be 2018 glc43
New speaker wiring was ran to all the speakers. The only shortcut if you would call it that was the stock wiring for the tweeter was tapped near the front because it would have been a pain to run wiring through to the doors. The center speaker actually doesn't play any music in the stock system (i don't believe). It's only used when you hit the emergency call button and used for the call. If you goto the navtv site, they have a diagram which shows you how to reconnect the center speaker so you don't lose this function. I'm not running a center channel but still get a center image (from the driver's seat) using time alignment and matching levels. The w800neo's fit.. barely. lol. You have to definitely create a speaker adapter and attach it to the existing. I'll try to dig up some pictures. I am happy to report the sirius/xm audio still works.

Last edited by eling23; 12-09-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 451 Likes on 347 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport

Nice work! Can you share your helix DSP tune file? I am going to do the NAV-TV MOST150 + Helix V Eight MK2 soon. I need a reference.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:01 PM

soon-to-be 2018 glc43
Originally Posted by benzdude
Nice work! Can you share your helix DSP tune file? I am going to do the NAV-TV MOST150 + Helix V Eight MK2 soon. I need a reference.
Tuning file won't help you in the least bit unless the speaker components are the same and are installed in the same location. Even then would be hard because your amp levels for each speakers will be set different. Message me and i can give you my settings for crossovers, which can be a "starting point" but again depends on your speaker selection and their freq response. One of the most important things i've come to realize is setting the correct delays and level matching each speaker is just as important as doing the eq.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 451 Likes on 347 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Tuning file won't help you in the least bit unless the speaker components are the same and are installed in the same location. Even then would be hard because your amp levels for each speakers will be set different. Message me and i can give you my settings for crossovers, which can be a "starting point" but again depends on your speaker selection and their freq response. One of the most important things i've come to realize is setting the correct delays and level matching each speaker is just as important as doing the eq.
I realize your speakers and setup are different, I just wanted to take a look at all the things.

I currently have a JL Audio Fix 82 + Audison AP8.9 Bit DSP amplifier installed and tuned in my W205.

The Fix 82 is feeding the Audison via optical. It will be an easy swap when I get the NAV-TV ZEN-M (just ordered)

I am excited to hear the difference between the two setups and will be happy to get the Factory AMP and Fix 82 out of way.

After that I will install the Helix V EIGHT and add the rear surrounds to the setup (no center channel)

I assume you selected DownMix ON and these settings on the Zen-m dip switches? :

Old 09-25-2020, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C180 W205 2019
Thumbs up

Just like you I also do not have the Burmester sound system and I have ordered the NAV-TV ZEN-M. I imagine that perhaps I would have to enable the fiberoptic port on my head unit as well? Could you tell me which re-programmer you purchased to enable an optical signal? My car is a 2019 Mercedes Benz C180 W205. I eagerly await your reply. Thanks very much
Old 09-25-2020, 11:41 AM

soon-to-be 2018 glc43
Originally Posted by Salman Kazim
Just like you I also do not have the Burmester sound system and I have ordered the NAV-TV ZEN-M. I imagine that perhaps I would have to enable the fiberoptic port on my head unit as well? Could you tell me which re-programmer you purchased to enable an optical signal? My car is a 2019 Mercedes Benz C180 W205. I eagerly await your reply. Thanks very much
I used the Zen-M-PRG. Best if you emailed them to confirm as yours is a 2019 and its not on the list. I emailed them before and they are very responsive so I'd do that to make sure.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C180 W205 2019
great, thanks very much
Old 05-20-2021, 10:19 AM
Muu

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2020 C63S Wagon
loving that install