2020 V167 GLE - Page 79 - MBWorld.org Forums

Notices

2020 V167 GLE

 
Old 01-14-2019, 12:07 PM
  #1951  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,345
Thanked 71 Times in 58 Posts
17 GLS 550
How the MBUX Voice Assistant was developed:

https://blog.daimler.com/en/2018/12/...-hey-mercedes/
JoeMa is online now  
Old 01-14-2019, 04:35 PM
  #1952  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 76
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
2011 ML350
Originally Posted by JoeMa View Post


I always thought Ford ripped off the C-pillar look of the ML/GLE. Anyone agree?
The Chevy Equinox through 2017 was also a rip-off of the C-pillar.

schroedinger is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 11:44 AM
  #1953  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 26
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2018 GLS 450, 2018 GLE 4matic
website

This is a website new to me. It has some very good close up pics of interior of gle450:

https://www.automotiveaddicts.com/67...iew-test-drive

beth22 is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 11:46 AM
  #1954  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,140
Thanked 79 Times in 66 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Auto show

Originally Posted by JoeMa View Post
The Philadelphia Auto Show is coming up Feb. 2 – 10. I'm hoping MB will have a 2020 GLE 450 on display like they did for the LA Auto Show.
Doesn't look like it. Sounds like it's under wraps until they have some at the dealers. Here is MBUSA's response to whether one would be at the Portland Auto Show next week:

"Thank you for your patience.

As the launch of the 2020 GLE starts late in Quarter 1 (timeframe's are always subject to change), this model will not be displayed at the Portland Auto Show. Once the vehicle has launched, we welcome you to visit your local Mercedes-Benz dealership for a test drive, and further details.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind Regards,

Dana B.
Mercedes Benz USA
(800) 367-6372"


GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 12:14 PM
  #1955  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,140
Thanked 79 Times in 66 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
automotiveaddicts.com review

Originally Posted by beth22 View Post
This is a website new to me. It has some very good close up pics of interior of gle450:

https://www.automotiveaddicts.com/67...iew-test-drive
Good pics of Espresso Brown/Magmagrey, beth22. Also shows the Black Ash trim. The test vehicle had the powered second row seats without the third row, which is not currently a US option. Did not see a draw bar/ball mount in the spare tire well for the receiver hitch, but it was probably removed so reviewers didn't try towing things. The reviewer's cost estimate of $74-78k is a few thou low - I calculate over $80k as equipped.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 03:17 PM
  #1956  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,345
Thanked 71 Times in 58 Posts
17 GLS 550
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Good pics of Espresso Brown/Magmagrey, beth22. Also shows the Black Ash trim. The test vehicle had the powered second row seats without the third row, which is not currently a US option. Did not see a draw bar/ball mount in the spare tire well for the receiver hitch, but it was probably removed so reviewers didn't try towing things. The reviewer's cost estimate of $74-78k is a few thou low - I calculate over $80k as equipped.
And his observed MPG is lower than several other reviews have stated:

"When a mad dash to 60 mph isn’t being performed, the new GLE 450 4MATIC looks to get a respectable 25 to 26 mpg on the highway as I observed. City fuel consumption numbers come in around 18 to 19 mpg leaving me with an average of about 21 to 22 to mpg as an estimated combined figure."

https://www.automotiveaddicts.com/67...iew-test-drive
JoeMa is online now  
Old 01-15-2019, 03:21 PM
  #1957  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,345
Thanked 71 Times in 58 Posts
17 GLS 550
[QUOTE=GregW / Oregon;7654722]Doesn't look like it. Sounds like it's under wraps until they have some at the dealers. Here is MBUSA's response to whether one would be at the Portland Auto Show next week:
/QUOTE]

Thanks for checking with MBUSA Greg, you saved me a trip to Philly. Besides, we might very well take delivery of our own GLE 450 a few weeks later.
JoeMa is online now  
Old 01-15-2019, 06:12 PM
  #1958  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 26
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2018 GLS 450, 2018 GLE 4matic
I think I like the Black Ash trim as well as the natural walnut. Maybe even better.
beth22 is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 06:14 PM
  #1959  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 26
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2018 GLS 450, 2018 GLE 4matic
GregW my build is up to 77500 and change so far. But, I am only getting Air Suspension
beth22 is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 07:32 PM
  #1960  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,140
Thanked 79 Times in 66 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Wood trims

Originally Posted by beth22 View Post
I think I like the Black Ash trim as well as the natural walnut. Maybe even better.
Yeah, but the Black Ash is over 5x the cost of Walnut because it is labeled "designo®!" Speaking as an architect that has some sense of design, I think if you are going with the Espresso leather the Walnut would be better.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 01-15-2019, 09:14 PM
  #1961  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 26
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2018 GLS 450, 2018 GLE 4matic
Yes, I think the interior is going to look pretty spiffy!
beth22 is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 10:05 AM
  #1962  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2010 Lexus ES350
Hi guys. I have been following this thread for over 7 months now and I had a lot of fun reading all of your comments.

I will buy a GLE 450 and as per the authorised dealer in my country I can receive it in April. The cars we receive here are all pre-build with specific options and when my salesman showed them to me I was surprised that we will only get the lowered suspension with steel spring and 20" rims as I thought we are going to get the Airmatic. Anyway can someone tell me how is the ride on the lowered suspension. Currently I own 2010 Lexus ES350 and I drove a 2008 Mercedes S350 & 2016 Lexus LX570 many times, how are they compared to a GLE in regard of suspension.

Last edited by Fir_230; 01-16-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Fir_230 is online now  
Old 01-16-2019, 11:16 AM
  #1963  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,140
Thanked 79 Times in 66 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Steel suspension

Originally Posted by Fir_230 View Post
Hi guys. I have been following this thread for over 7 months now and I had a lot of fun reading all of your comments.

I will buy a GLE 450 and as per the authorised dealer in my country I can receive it in April. The cars we receive here are all pre-build with specific options and when my salesman showed them to me I was surprised that we will only get the lowered suspension with steel spring and 20" rims as I thought we are going to get the Airmatic. Anyway can someone tell me how is the ride on the lowered suspension. Currently I own 2010 Lexus ES350 and I drove a 2008 Mercedes S350 & 2016 Lexus LX570 many times, how are they compared to a GLE in regard of suspension.
Where are you located? I did read somewhere the steel spring suspension is 15mm lower (than Airmatic?). Likely it will be a little firmer than what's in an ES. The only descriptions of the steel suspension I've seen are these quotes:

"If you don’t want to spend the money on the electronics, the air suspension is also smooth and offers the ability to raise and lower the GLE. For those who have an eye on the bottom line, the basic suspension is perfectly good. You’ll never feel like you put yourself in a penalty box if you go with the base GLE." – Car & Driver

"The GLE can be had with three suspensions. The first GLE 350 we sampled had good ol’ steel springs, which provide a nice balance: The ride is firmer than we expected (a nod, we assume, to BMW drivers who find traditional Mercedes SUVs too softly sprung) but nowhere near punishing. Grip was impressive and likely aided by the wider tires fitted to our test cars. In the curves, the steel-sprung GLE 350 we drove felt more responsive and eager than Mercedes SUVs of yore, though calling it fun-to-drive might be stretching the truth. Next, we drove a GLE 450 with the Airmatic suspension, which reminded us of why we’re so fond of air springs. The ride is glass-smooth with excellent body control in the curves. It’s the perfect setup that should please enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike." - Automobile
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 11:25 AM
  #1964  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2010 Lexus ES350
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Where are you located? I did read somewhere the steel spring suspension is 15mm lower (than Airmatic?). Likely it will be a little firmer than what's in an ES. The only descriptions of the steel suspension I've seen are these quotes:

"If you don’t want to spend the money on the electronics, the air suspension is also smooth and offers the ability to raise and lower the GLE. For those who have an eye on the bottom line, the basic suspension is perfectly good. You’ll never feel like you put yourself in a penalty box if you go with the base GLE." – Car & Driver

"The GLE can be had with three suspensions. The first GLE 350 we sampled had good ol’ steel springs, which provide a nice balance: The ride is firmer than we expected (a nod, we assume, to BMW drivers who find traditional Mercedes SUVs too softly sprung) but nowhere near punishing. Grip was impressive and likely aided by the wider tires fitted to our test cars. In the curves, the steel-sprung GLE 350 we drove felt more responsive and eager than Mercedes SUVs of yore, though calling it fun-to-drive might be stretching the truth. Next, we drove a GLE 450 with the Airmatic suspension, which reminded us of why we’re so fond of air springs. The ride is glass-smooth with excellent body control in the curves. It’s the perfect setup that should please enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike." - Automobile
Thanks Greg for the above. I hope I like it. The salesman told me I can special order a GLE 450 with an air suspension but I have to wait for extra 6 months which I feel is a long period of time.
I am from a GCC country called Oman. Usually Mercedes ME orders the cars with most of the options but they told me for SUVs they only order the GLS with Airmatic as standard.
Fir_230 is online now  
Old 01-16-2019, 01:03 PM
  #1965  
Member
 
tiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 76
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
2016 GLE350d 4Matic; 2001 BMW 740i Sport
Originally Posted by JoeMa View Post
And his observed MPG is lower than several other reviews have stated:

"When a mad dash to 60 mph isn’t being performed, the new GLE 450 4MATIC looks to get a respectable 25 to 26 mpg on the highway as I observed. City fuel consumption numbers come in around 18 to 19 mpg leaving me with an average of about 21 to 22 to mpg as an estimated combined figure."

https://www.automotiveaddicts.com/67...iew-test-drive
That Emerald Green finish looks pretty nice. Can't wait to get it this summer.
tiri is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 02:13 PM
  #1966  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mercedes, Lexus
2020 GLE 450 4 Matic ordered

Hi all,

I just placed an order for the 2020 GLE with Fletcher Jones MB in Newport Beach, Ca. Although I live in Rocklin, Ca (near Sacramento) I have bought cars from them before and like doing business with them. Here is my order (I can't seem to find a way to provide it to you like others in this thread):

Costs have changed so don't use these for reference. i got these from the configurator that was provided to me when it first came out. I see that the 450 is now $62k as an example.
GLE 450 4Matic $61,150
E-Active Body Control $8100
Driver Assistant Package $2250
Exterior Color Selenite Grey $720
Interior Leather $1620 .
21" inch wheels with black accents (I think these are around $1k)
Interior Trim (H64 metal weave ($600)
Premium Package $1800
Parking Assistant Package $800
Advanced Lighting Package $900
AMG Line Exterior
Warmth and Comfort Package $1050
Acoustic Comfort Package $1050
I wanted a wood/Leather steering wheel but I can't get that with the interior I wanted. Tried to get perforated AMG SW and couldn't either. I don't understand why I can't get the SW I desire.
Heated Cooled Cup Holder $180
Active MultiContour Massaging Seats $1100
Heated Ventilated Front Seats $450 (is this part of another package)
Panorama Sliding Roof $1000
Heated Steering Wheel $250
Illuminated Running Boards $650
Heated Rear Seats $580
Roof Spoiler I think this is $600
Load Sill Protector —needed? cost?
I did order at the last moment the MBUX Technology Package as well.

I think this is going to be around $93k and change. Ouch! I didn't expect to spend that much but do like what I have seen about this car so I can live with it. This new way (for me anyway) of ordering from MB is not user friendly and mimics Porsche in many ways. The steering wheel issue bothers me. I was told by the dealership that a heated steering wheel is additional costs and doesn't come in the packages I have ordered. This doesn't makes sense but obviously not enough for me to cancel my order. It is scheduled to be build early in April so I expect to receive it mid-May if all goes well. Any advice on anything I am missing? Was also told that there is probably little change of getting this below MSRP given the "newness' of this SUV. Maybe I can get a year or two of free warranty instead...might be a good trade-off. Since I am paying cash I hate paying MSRP...UGH. Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback.
DaveSol is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 05:12 PM
  #1967  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,140
Thanked 79 Times in 66 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Configuration comments

Originally Posted by DaveSol View Post
Hi all,

I just placed an order for the 2020 GLE with Fletcher Jones MB in Newport Beach, Ca. Although I live in Rocklin, Ca (near Sacramento) I have bought cars from them before and like doing business with them. Here is my order (I can't seem to find a way to provide it to you like others in this thread):

Costs have changed so don't use these for reference. i got these from the configurator that was provided to me when it first came out. I see that the 450 is now $62k as an example.
GLE 450 4Matic $61,150
E-Active Body Control $8100
Driver Assistant Package $2250
Exterior Color Selenite Grey $720
Interior Leather $1620 .
21" inch wheels with black accents (I think these are around $1k)
Interior Trim (H64 metal weave ($600)
Premium Package $1800
Parking Assistant Package $800
Advanced Lighting Package $900
AMG Line Exterior
Warmth and Comfort Package $1050
Acoustic Comfort Package $1050
I wanted a wood/Leather steering wheel but I can't get that with the interior I wanted. Tried to get perforated AMG SW and couldn't either. I don't understand why I can't get the SW I desire.
Heated Cooled Cup Holder $180
Active MultiContour Massaging Seats $1100
Heated Ventilated Front Seats $450 (is this part of another package)
Panorama Sliding Roof $1000
Heated Steering Wheel $250
Illuminated Running Boards $650
Heated Rear Seats $580
Roof Spoiler I think this is $600
Load Sill Protector —needed? cost?
I did order at the last moment the MBUX Technology Package as well.

I think this is going to be around $93k and change. Ouch! I didn't expect to spend that much but do like what I have seen about this car so I can live with it. This new way (for me anyway) of ordering from MB is not user friendly and mimics Porsche in many ways. The steering wheel issue bothers me. I was told by the dealership that a heated steering wheel is additional costs and doesn't come in the packages I have ordered. This doesn't makes sense but obviously not enough for me to cancel my order. It is scheduled to be build early in April so I expect to receive it mid-May if all goes well. Any advice on anything I am missing? Was also told that there is probably little change of getting this below MSRP given the "newness' of this SUV. Maybe I can get a year or two of free warranty instead...might be a good trade-off. Since I am paying cash I hate paying MSRP...UGH. Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback.
  • The wood/leather steering wheel is coordinated with certain wood trims. You need to get the AMG Line Interior to get the Sport steering wheel due to packaging. Keeping the heated steering wheel as standalone allows more flexibility, though it seems it ought to be in Warmth & Comfort.
  • Heated and ventilated seats can be had with the DB8 Energizing Package Plus in addition to standalone.
  • At this price level I would definitely get either the U09 MB-Tex or U38 Leather dash & door beltlines - makes a huge aesthetic difference.
  • I would not get an SUV without the trailer hitch. And, yes, I think the load sill protector is a good idea (~$150), though you can add that later yourself.
Here, I've put your order into my spreadsheet:



Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 01-16-2019 at 06:55 PM.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 06:47 PM
  #1968  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mercedes, Lexus
Greg,

Thank you for putting this in a spreadsheet! It is much easier to understand...weird how what I got from the dealership was so difficult to read. I did get the Energizing Package...forgot to add that one to my original message. How much is the leather dash (I think you said code U38). I've gotta watch price creep or my wife of 40 years might not allow us to celebrate our 41st. Seriously, pretty soon I am in Cayenne S territory although I wouldn't be getting near enough of the options I am getting with this GLE. One positive for buying a Porsche is it does depreciate less than a MB. I have a 2016 S550 with a MSRP of around $120k and I would be lucky to sell it for $65k today. It is in perfect condition with only 26k miles. That is just shocking to me. Anyway, a man and his toys, right? Thanks again for helping out. It is much appreciated. I owe you.

Dave
DaveSol is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 06:58 PM
  #1969  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,140
Thanked 79 Times in 66 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Originally Posted by DaveSol View Post
Greg,

Thank you for putting this in a spreadsheet! It is much easier to understand...weird how what I got from the dealership was so difficult to read. I did get the Energizing Package...forgot to add that one to my original message. How much is the leather dash (I think you said code U38). I've gotta watch price creep or my wife of 40 years might not allow us to celebrate our 41st. Seriously, pretty soon I am in Cayenne S territory although I wouldn't be getting near enough of the options I am getting with this GLE. One positive for buying a Porsche is it does depreciate less than a MB. I have a 2016 S550 with a MSRP of around $120k and I would be lucky to sell it for $65k today. It is in perfect condition with only 26k miles. That is just shocking to me. Anyway, a man and his toys, right? Thanks again for helping out. It is much appreciated. I owe you.

Dave
I have added the Energizing Package Plus to the spreadsheets in my previous post. The upgraded stitched dash is $450 in MB-Tex and $700 in leather. Cheers!
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 09:42 AM
  #1970  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2010 Lexus ES350
For who was discussing about the breaking pads, here is a link that has some info for the sizes of the breaking pads on each version:

https://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.c...torisierungen/
Fir_230 is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fir_230 For This Useful Post:
GregW / Oregon (01-17-2019), JoeMa (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 11:42 AM
  #1971  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,140
Thanked 79 Times in 66 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
Brake sizes

Originally Posted by Fir_230 View Post
For who was discussing about the breaking pads, here is a link that has some info for the sizes of the breaking pads on each version:
https://blog.mercedes-benz-passion.c...torisierungen/
Translation:

"GLE 450

The GLE 450 is equipped with a 2-piston floating caliper with 375 x 36 brake discs on the front axle and a 1-piston caliper with a 345 x 22 mm brake disc on the rear axle. In conjunction with the AMG Line, the model receives a 400 x 36 mm front brake disk.

WITH TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE OR AMG LINE DIFFERENT BRAKE DISC SIZE

In conjunction with the technology package, the vehicle receives a 400 x 38 mm brake system on the front axle, with AMG Line conformation perforated brake discs. Basically, always - regardless of the engine - a 2-piston front caliper (this aluminum) and a 1-piston floating caliper installed."

There is a minor discrepancy in the AMG front rotor thickness in these descriptions. As previously discovered, we do not get the large fixed calipers that are part of the Technology Package in Germany (at a cost of €4,210 over E-ABC alone).


Base 450 front - 375x36 solid rotors, 2 piston floating calipers


AMG Line - 400x36 vented rotors, 2 piston floating calipers


Euro Tech Pkg. - Adds large (4-piston?) fixed calipers


This caliper looks different than others?

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 01-17-2019 at 12:34 PM.
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 02:57 PM
  #1972  
Member
 
tiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 76
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
2016 GLE350d 4Matic; 2001 BMW 740i Sport
Looks like the 2020 GLE will be at the Montreal International Auto Show as per MB Canada.
tiri is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 02:59 PM
  #1973  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lake Oswego, OR
Posts: 3,140
Thanked 79 Times in 66 Posts
2020 GLE 450 (on order); 2012 ML350; 2015 M4 Coupe
GLE @ Montreal

Originally Posted by tiri View Post
Looks like the 2020 GLE will be at the Montreal International Auto Show as per MB Canada.
Must be the Canadian reveal, like LA was for the US. Enjoy!
GregW / Oregon is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 03:16 PM
  #1974  
Member
 
tiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 76
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
2016 GLE350d 4Matic; 2001 BMW 740i Sport
I'll be sure to take photos and sharing them here.
tiri is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 03:40 PM
  #1975  
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 2000 ft over the Fl coast in a B-17
Posts: 5,222
Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by tiri View Post
I'll be sure to take photos and sharing them here.
Wonder if Canada will get the 22" option like euroland?
RJC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2020 V167 GLE


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: