GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 06:51 PM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
Originally Posted by namhoonk
I got an indication message regarding "service A".
It has been only two months with around 1500 miles after purchasing.
Is it already a service A due ?
or
Is it a wrong message?

This message is on and gone after 1-2 seconds.
Does anyone experience the same or similar issue?
There have been a few posts with the same issue. The dealer was able to change the service date to the correct date.
The following users liked this post:
namhoonk (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 12:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Partial List of 2020 GLE 450 Issues to Date

Just saw this thread so reposting here, thx!

- Cruise control: Will randomly lose power and just stop allowing CC to work. I have to manually turn it off (while not working) then back on and it often still does not operate correctly until I'm past the trouble spot. For instance, in Houston there is a stretch of 99/Grand Pkwy between 249 and 45 (on way to airport which I do 2X every other week) where it completely powers off (while still engaged and saying it's on) and won't really work again until close to 45. I can't determine any trigger except the location (and maybe certain curves in highway? - I hope not!) These glitches are unrelated to speed limit signs as the ones below are.
- Speed limit assist: Does not always work right. On Harris County toll road to airport, there are no speed limit signs when I get on and for quite some time. Parts of that road it thinks SL is 75 and others it thinks it's 35. Also, often misreads or calculates SL of feeder road instead of highway I am on. Honestly, would be nice if there was an easy/quick way to report incorrect limit readings because I've noticed they can't all be sign triggered, some must be GPS triggered. Not gonna lie, when CC and SL aren't working right, it can be downright scary/dangerous. It's often a sudden switch and brakes suddenly slow car down unexpectedly. I don't appreciate it and have learned to be ready to suddenly switch CC off when this happens to avoid a dangerous situation. Should not have to do this.
- Driver Assist Safety cameras: On the upside, the driver assist safety cameras did save me from a potential accident. Cars in front slammed brakes at highway merger right as I was doing a sideview headcheck for merging cars to my right. Beeping went crazy and car braked to a stop itself. In the split second after the beeping started, I would have hit by time I saw, but car stopped for me so I just continued with hard braking but it would have done it all for me I think. That's absolutely wonderful!
- That pesky key!!!! WHY oh WHY can't they fix the auto unlock yet? It worked fine in older models. Now I will have hands full and it only works about 30% of the time. I really just want it to work! Getting stalled outside car to open door in rain is not what I paid for. Worse: Rain and wrangling 2 dogs in/out of car at vet. P.S. If it has gate kick-to-open option (unsure), it has never worked. I tried!
- GPS directions: UGH! Is better with typed addresses but when I am already driving and want to find a Chevron, can't even make that simple/easy. Also misses locations (newer ones) a lot. I'd say at least 2 year delay. Once set to destination, works great. Do wish it gave several route options w/ time like Google Maps does so brilliantly. Getting destination via voice or even typing names instead of addresses - huge PITA. Needs a major fix. In this day and age, the tech should be easier to update and keep up with. Our phones do. No excuse. ALSO-I'd love a quick and easy way to drop a destination from my phone to my car nav. I do love the augmented reality nav (though sometimes it places the aug too late for me to get over in time with traffic).
- Audio glitch: My audio just stopped working randomly a week or two ago while driving and nothing I could figure out fixed it. No sound whatsoever including radio and satellite. Volume controls (all) non-responsive. Turned off/on and didn't work. Only came back after leaving car off overnight. Next morning was going to call dealer but it was back on. I had tried off, let it sit 10 min, turn on again several times day before. Strange gremlins.
- "Instrument cluster" dash menu: Still haven't figured out (no time really!) but seems the dash menu changes what options are available even on a single theme. For instance, I'll be looking for one set of options in center "instrument cluster" screen and it's in my regular theme and drive mode but options in center are completely different/new to me. It randomly went back to the one I'm familiar with but when it happens again, I'll have no clue what's happening. LOL.
- EQ Boost: Can this be disabled permanently/long term? Or at least the engine shut off while stopped? Currently, I have to manually disable it every time I get in the car and it engages. I've found I don't care for it much.
-Random glitches: Occasionally my new GLE randomly glitches and then I never see that particular glitch again. I kinda expected that. Price of being the guinea pig.

Previously, also had it shut down at a stop sign while son (new driver) was driving. Had to turn off and back on to get it to run again. Lots of gremlins. Still love the car, but so glad I leased this first year model.

Last edited by tjobi; 01-14-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml350
Broken hood latch lever

1,300 miles info ownership, wife wants to take a look under the hood of her new car and the hood latch release lever breaks in her hand. Thought she was joking at first or she didn't know what she was doing, but she was right. Now we have to wait two weeks for the part to be delivered to our dealer so they can replace the latch.
The is a perfect example of a bad cost cutting measure. Not sure who thought cheap plastic next to a hot engine was a good idea.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,174 Likes on 845 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by MrSeyiA
1,300 miles info ownership, wife wants to take a look under the hood of her new car and the hood latch release lever breaks in her hand. Thought she was joking at first or she didn't know what she was doing, but she was right. Now we have to wait two weeks for the part to be delivered to our dealer so they can replace the latch.
The is a perfect example of a bad cost cutting measure. Not sure who thought cheap plastic next to a hot engine was a good idea.
Congrats on having a wife that wa tA to look under the hood! The issue is first I’ve seen.
The following 2 users liked this post by GregW / Oregon:
bad habit (01-15-2020), user 7208224 (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 11:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 MB GLE350, 2015.5 Volvo XC60 T5
Bleh... got Check Engine Light on my GLE350 yesterday evening. Tried shutting down and restarted a few times. Still there. (The car seems to be driving normally, otherwise.) Going to let it sit until I can take it to the dealer on Saturday. (Only 8,880 miles.)
Old 01-15-2020, 06:03 PM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
Having trouble with the front passenger reading lamp coming on automatically at sporadic intervals for no discernible reason. I couldn’t find anything in the manual, but it’s difficult to search on my phone. Any advice?

EDIT: I think I figured it out. It was the switch on the underside of the mirror.

Last edited by bigpern23; 01-15-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLE 350
Question Middle seat belt buckle issue?

Anyone else facing an issue of a the middle seat belt buckle continually playing "turtle" and hiding under the seat? Ironically, the fabric designed to keep it from falling into the Netherworld is also the same obstacle that prevents putting your hand down to retrieve it.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:29 PM

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
2023 GLC 300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by carneykjnc
Anyone else facing an issue of a the middle seat belt buckle continually playing "turtle" and hiding under the seat? Ironically, the fabric designed to keep it from falling into the Netherworld is also the same obstacle that prevents putting your hand down to retrieve it.
YES! Mine dropped down a few weeks ago. Gonna have to get a coat hanger and fish it out. Hum, we only have those plastic ones though. Need an old fashioned one to do the trick.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:04 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 MB GLE350, 2015.5 Volvo XC60 T5
Originally Posted by tjinn
Bleh... got Check Engine Light on my GLE350 yesterday evening. Tried shutting down and restarted a few times. Still there. (The car seems to be driving normally, otherwise.) Going to let it sit until I can take it to the dealer on Saturday. (Only 8,880 miles.)
Apparently an Evap Canister issue. Needs to be replaced. Thankfully, not a serious issue...
Old 01-18-2020, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 776 Likes on 501 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by MrSeyiA
The same thing happened on my 2018 E63S.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:29 PM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
Alrighty then, here be me tale of woe, mateys.

December 19, 2019, I dropped my car off at the dealer to address several issues that I had documented (photo & video).
I retook possession of the vehicle nearly one month later on January 15th.
To my dismay, most of the issues have resurfaced all over again. Here are the ones that have:
  • Car does not start while using either push button or Mercedes me app;
  • 115V Power outlet does not work;
  • When switching between profiles, only the steering wheel moves, not the seat. Now it is the opposite: the seat moves, but not the wheel;
  • "Radar Sensors Dirty" message keeps appearing, even in clear weather, light mist, light rain, light snow, etc. whereas it was never an issue with the 2016 W166;
  • At full rest, left wiper blade touches the right wiper blade;
  • Check engine light came on;
  • Carplay connects but does not respond. Must unplug and replug with original Apple cables. Or, exit Carplay and return to MBUX, wait a minute or two, and return to Carplay;
  • Head Up Display settings change randomly;
  • Headlights will sometimes stay lit for an hour (or until I return) once the car is locked;
  • 360 Degree cameras display complete black as though there is no signal.

I'll assume they followed through with the potentially pinched AC drain hose recall.
I did get the FRU2 MBUX update so there is that at least.
Issues that have not resurfaced (yet) :
  • Left sunshade hasn't frozen in place again, so hooray?;
  • Touchpad and all center console controls lost complete responsiveness;
  • MBUX Navigation did not use an optimized route, sending me on ridiculous alternate routes instead;
  • Center cluster (left screen) freezes;
  • Right screen reboots constantly after displaying the M-B logo;

I pray this gets resolved. The whole point of buying (especially leasing) a new car is for reliability. This car fails in the software department, even though mechanically the car is supremely smooth, and the interior materials fit and finish are top notch.

I'm losing sleep over this. My wife always bought new cars in Venezuela (back when it was still a decent place to live) for her security because if your car broke down, there was a high probability you would get robbed, raped or killed (in no particular order). Here in Canada, your survival depends on a reliable car to protect you from the cold.

Unfortunately, the province of Québec does not have a lemon law. The only recourse we would have would be to terminate the lease early, and pay any penalties and move on. sad.y that would force us to downgrade to a lesser vehicle for a certain amount of time.

/RANT

Last edited by tiri; 01-20-2020 at 12:34 PM.
galret (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,025 Likes on 696 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by tiri
Unfortunately, the province of Québec does not have a lemon law. The only recourse we would have would be to terminate the lease early, and pay any penalties and move on. sad.y that would force us to downgrade to a lesser vehicle for a certain amount of time.

/RANT
I would think there are other options besides Lemon Laws but don’t know Canada Law. It’s also possible that Mercedes would stand behind their product....eventually. It might be worth writing a letter to Mercedes and a copy to your dealer outlining your issues and repair history and asking for a replacement vehicle. That should at least force the dealer to make another attempt. Then if that didn’t work I would consider consulting with an attorney to write the a letter making the same request. You should have legal remedies besides the Lemon Law, we do in the US.
tiri (01-21-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 04:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Now: Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Maserati Quattroporte (formerly Alfa Romeo Giulia and 911)
Originally Posted by tiri

December 19, 2019, I dropped my car off at the dealer to address several issues that I had documented (photo & video).
I retook possession of the vehicle nearly one month later on January 15th.
To my dismay, most of the issues have resurfaced all over again. Here are the ones that have:
  • Car does not start while using either push button or Mercedes me app;
  • 115V Power outlet does not work;
  • When switching between profiles, only the steering wheel moves, not the seat. Now it is the opposite: the seat moves, but not the wheel;
  • "Radar Sensors Dirty" message keeps appearing, even in clear weather, light mist, light rain, light snow, etc. whereas it was never an issue with the 2016 W166;
  • At full rest, left wiper blade touches the right wiper blade;
  • Check engine light came on;
  • Carplay connects but does not respond. Must unplug and replug with original Apple cables. Or, exit Carplay and return to MBUX, wait a minute or two, and return to Carplay;
  • Head Up Display settings change randomly;
  • Headlights will sometimes stay lit for an hour (or until I return) once the car is locked;
  • 360 Degree cameras display complete black as though there is no signal.

I'll assume they followed through with the potentially pinched AC drain hose recall.
I did get the FRU2 MBUX update so there is that at least.
Issues that have not resurfaced (yet) :
  • Left sunshade hasn't frozen in place again, so hooray?;
  • Touchpad and all center console controls lost complete responsiveness;
  • MBUX Navigation did not use an optimized route, sending me on ridiculous alternate routes instead;
  • Center cluster (left screen) freezes;
  • Right screen reboots constantly after displaying the M-B logo;

I pray this gets resolved. The whole point of buying (especially leasing) a new car is for reliability. This car fails in the software department, even though mechanically the car is supremely smooth, and the interior materials fit and finish are top notch.

I'm losing sleep over this. My wife always bought new cars in Venezuela (back when it was still a decent place to live) for her security because if your car broke down, there was a high probability you would get robbed, raped or killed (in no particular order). Here in Canada, your survival depends on a reliable car to protect you from the cold.

/RANT
I live in the United States and am familiar with the Lemon Law. Just so you know, one has to go through quite a bit of inconvenience and, some would say suffering, before one gets relief under that law. We bought a new vehicle last year from another manufacturer, and we went though almost exactly what you describe, except that after keeping it for five weeks, returning it with the exact same issues as when it went in, the dealer also delivered it back with a dent. This was a European "niche" sports car with less than 3000 miles on it. The dealer refused to take responsibility despite my having pictures of the car as we dropped it off without a dent. The manufacturer also refused to help. Since the car wasn't reliable, and the brand lacked plentiful, trained service departments in the United States, I traded it in a couple of months ago and lost my shirt on the depreciation.

I think Mercedes is different and stands behind their vehicles.

If you haven't tried it already, something simple to try is to disconnect the battery for a few moments, to get things to "reset." There are several comments on that on this forum. Otherwise, I'd start a communication with Mercedes and then even try another dealer, letting them know you've contacted Mercedes.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:45 PM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
Yes, I’m quite familiar with the whole “disconnect the battery” solution. The problem is my wife will not do that. She shouldn’t have to and neither should I, especially in the dead of winter.

There are things you tolerate in your twenties, that you question through your thirties and flat out refuse in your forties. I can’t imagine what we will be like.

bad habit (01-22-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLE 450
My challenge is lane keeping assist. In my 2013 ML when the white lane marking was exceeded after the vibrating steering wheel the car would be nudged back into the lane. Now after the vibrating wheel the car is thrown back into the lane. The brakes really come on hard. As a result I travel with it turned off. The only thing the dealer said was that they could check to make sure the software was up to date, which it is.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by frtdog
My challenge is lane keeping assist. In my 2013 ML when the white lane marking was exceeded after the vibrating steering wheel the car would be nudged back into the lane. Now after the vibrating wheel the car is thrown back into the lane. The brakes really come on hard. As a result I travel with it turned off. The only thing the dealer said was that they could check to make sure the software was up to date, which it is.
You can adjust the sensitivity of this in the settings.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,025 Likes on 696 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
I agree and on ice it could cause an accident. Ironically, the Distronic works differently by steering you back into the lane. I wonder what genius came up with the idea of using braking correction for Lane Keep!!!
Old 01-21-2020, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
I agree and on ice it could cause an accident. Ironically, the Distronic works differently by steering you back into the lane. I wonder what genius came up with the idea of using braking correction for Lane Keep!!!
Apparently it is even worse on the new X5.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:23 PM

2020 GLE 450
I read that in the manual but unless I missed it, it says nothing about reducing the amount of braking applied.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
I read that in the manual but unless I missed it, it says nothing about reducing the amount of braking applied.
I believe it is the sensitivity of what triggers it.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
I believe it is the sensitivity of what triggers it. check in the car for settings
Old 01-21-2020, 02:57 PM

2020 GLE 450
I looked in the settings section and there is no sensitivity selection. The Owners manual does say the setting is not available in all countries so I guess the US is one of those countries. Perhaps someday it will be added in a software update.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
I looked in the settings section and there is no sensitivity selection. The Owners manual does say the setting is not available in all countries so I guess the US is one of those countries. Perhaps someday it will be added in a software update.
This is one of my complaints with the Mercedes manuals (I am a first time MB owner). There are quite a few things that say "not available in all countries" and then you are left guessing whether you have it or not.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Most manufacturers are the same, they provide a generic handbook for cost, e.g. in UK handbook describes heated steering wheel operation but it isn't available in UK.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:06 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
GLC63S

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE issues