GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE 350 4Matic
I had the same thing happened, they had to replace the whole screen. The left one kept on blacking out even when I was driving one time. But mostly when I start the car. There has to be something wrong with the screen, so they replaced mine and it's been good so far.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:33 PM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
Originally Posted by Henry Stark

My suspension error message turned out to be a blown strut. Do you hear any strange sounds going over bumps?
Old 01-23-2020, 02:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE450
Originally Posted by tinman831
My suspension error message turned out to be a blown strut. Do you hear any strange sounds going over bumps?
Do you have E-Active body control, air suspension or standard springs?
Old 01-23-2020, 03:21 PM

2020 GLE
Originally Posted by killagram
I have the e-abc.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:31 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 450 / E450 Cabriolet
Well, kiss of death two has happened! Took the 450 in for a "B" service (yes 20,000 in 9 months is a lot) and they can't get the software to load. They have had the car for three days and keep saying we will try again tomorrow. This is my fifth and last Mercedes.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:10 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
GLC63S
Originally Posted by tinman831
For the time being the light went out after restart. Don’t hear any noises yet.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:32 PM

2020 GLE
Originally Posted by Henry Stark
For the time being the light went out after restart. Don’t hear any noises yet.
My light would disappear after restart and always come back after driving a mile or so. Hopefully your light was just a fluke.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:08 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
GLC63S
Originally Posted by killagram

AMG RIDE CONTROL+ air suspension
489 AIRMATIC Dual Control/Semi-Active Air Suspension

AMG 465 Active Roll Stabilisation

Last edited by Henry Stark; 01-23-2020 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:08 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 450 / E450 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by DaveD9
Well, kiss of death two has happened! Took the 450 in for a "B" service (yes 20,000 in 9 months is a lot) and they can't get the software to load. They have had the car for three days and keep saying we will try again tomorrow. This is my fifth and last Mercedes.

Took 4 days but I have the car back. The old software glitch excuse.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by DaveD9
Took 4 days but I have the car back. The old software glitch excuse.
I hope I’m wrong but this may be the “new normal’ for Tech laden cars. Even Google and Apple have glitches with their huge development staff and lots of testing. Mercedes is under new leadership and pulled back their electric car a year. That might be an indication that they will slow things down but it could also just be a component supply issue.
Audi has a discount program for the new e tron electric SUV through Costco, a very rare deal for Audi to discount a new intro in the first year.
I'm so impressed with my GLE that I plan to buy a 53 or 63 in a year or two but not before they are bug free. In the interim I just disconnect the battery every few months.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:32 AM

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Hi all, new to MB forum, and to Mercedes in general. I'm looking to purchase either a loaded 2020 GLE or rather base GLS in the Mar - Apr time frame. First let me say what an awesome forum you have, the best I've come across. This site is extremely helpful and informative, thanks to all who take the time to post.

After reading all the issues above, I have the impression that most of the more serious issues that require a 10mm wrench involve the GLE 450 vice the GLE 350? Is that accurate assessment, or do owners of the GLE 350 also need to carry a 10mm wrench? Sounds like this is more of an issue with 48 Volt mild hybrid system in the GLE 450, and I've notice there aren't a lot of 450s on dealer lots here in national capital region -- I was previously assuming this was due to price.

Also, for any owners of the GLE 350, does the auto start feature use a traditional starter motor to start the engine (i.e., you can hear the starter engage like on a tradition vehicle); or is it integrated like on the GLE 450 and motor generator simply spins the engine to turn it on?
Old 01-26-2020, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Questions

Originally Posted by TexAg91
Hi all, new to MB forum, and to Mercedes in general. I'm looking to purchase either a loaded 2020 GLE or rather base GLS in the Mar - Apr time frame. First let me say what an awesome forum you have, the best I've come across. This site is extremely helpful and informative, thanks to all who take the time to post.

After reading all the issues above, I have the impression that most of the more serious issues that require a 10mm wrench involve the GLE 450 vice the GLE 350? Is that accurate assessment, or do owners of the GLE 350 also need to carry a 10mm wrench? Sounds like this is more of an issue with 48 Volt mild hybrid system in the GLE 450, and I've notice there aren't a lot of 450s on dealer lots here in national capital region -- I was previously assuming this was due to price.

Also, for any owners of the GLE 350, does the auto start feature use a traditional starter motor to start the engine (i.e., you can hear the starter engage like on a tradition vehicle); or is it integrated like on the GLE 450 and motor generator simply spins the engine to turn it on?
I have not quantified 350s vs 450s with these types of issues, but they all use basically the same software, so I assume an equal distribution (350 owners speak up). And, mine has been perfect the last almost 5 months after software upgrades, so I'm hoping new production is getting bugs ironed out. There has been much more production of 350s than 450s; saleability is probably part of it, but there could be some production limitations on the six as well.

Since the 350 does not have the motor/generator, it does use a more traditional 12V starter and accessories are belt-driven instead of electrically like on the 450.

Good that you're doing your research.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Since the 350 does not have the motor/generator, it does use a more traditional 12V starter and accessories are belt-driven instead of electrically like on the 450.

Good that you're doing your research.
Greg thank you for the reply. That’s what I was afraid of and that’s disappointing to read. Seems like the use of a traditional starter motor for the start and stop function will put a lot of wear and tear on it and consequently it will require replacement probably five times sooner than it otherwise would. So I assume that also means that when you run the air conditioning the start stop function rarely engages when the vehicle stops as the engine has to run the air conditioning compressor...negating the fuel consumption benefit of the start/stop function? I assume on the GLE 450 the air conditioning compressor is electric so you do get A fuel consumption benefit out of the start stop feature...the 48 V system will power the air conditioning compressor for a short period of time when stopped in traffic?

The reason I ask is I own an Infiniti QX60 hybrid. It is a mild hybrid also and has an integrated electric motor to start stop the engine. My one disappointment with the design is although it has an electric power steering pump, the air conditioning compressor runs off an engine driven accessory belt. So when you’re running the air conditioning compressor the engine rarely turns off at a stop. When it does the electric motor quickly spins the engine to restart it with no fuss.

The reason auto makers do this is because they are not required to run the air conditioning compressor for the EPA city mileage test loop. They are required to run the air conditioning compressor on the highway test loop. A less expensive way to get good EPA city MPG test results.

Old 01-26-2020, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Greg thank you for the reply. That’s what I was afraid of and that’s disappointing to read. Seems like the use of a traditional starter motor for the start and stop function will put a lot of wear and tear on it and consequently it will require replacement probably five times sooner than it otherwise would. So I assume that also means that when you run the air conditioning the start stop function rarely engages when the vehicle stops as the engine has to run the air conditioning compressor...negating the fuel consumption benefit of the start/stop function? I assume on the GLE 450 the air conditioning compressor is electric so you do get A fuel consumption benefit out of the start stop feature...the 48 V system will power the air conditioning compressor for a short period of time when stopped in traffic?

The reason I ask is I own an Infiniti QX60 hybrid. It is a mild hybrid also and has an integrated electric motor to start stop the engine. My one disappointment with the design is although it has an electric power steering pump, the air conditioning compressor runs off an engine driven accessory belt. So when you’re running the air conditioning compressor the engine rarely turns off at a stop. When it does the electric motor quickly spins the engine to restart it with no fuss.

The reason auto makers do this is because they are not required to run the air conditioning compressor for the EPA city mileage test loop. They are required to run the air conditioning compressor on the highway test loop. A less expensive way to get good EPA city MPG test results.
Choice is personal and obviously cost-related, but the 450 is just a more refined powerplant. BTW, I have been running the 12V stop-start on my M4 for 5 1/2 years and no issues.
Old 01-26-2020, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
Does anyone have this weird pattern form on the inside of their headlights? It looks like hard water dried off, only on the Driver's side so far.

Old 01-26-2020, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Headlight issue

Originally Posted by bad habit
Does anyone have this weird pattern form on the inside of their headlights? It looks like hard water dried off, only on the Driver's side so far.
Several have reported moisture in the headlight assembly.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:03 PM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior

GregW already answered your question, but I just wanted chime in to say that I moved up from a QX60 and, good god, is the GLE a massive step up in comfort, luxury and performance. I didn't hate the QX60, but it always felt very functional, without any fun to it. And wasn't particularly comfortable. the GLE has it beat in every way.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by bigpern23
GregW already answered your question, but I just wanted chime in to say that I moved up from a QX60 and, good god, is the GLE a massive step up in comfort, luxury and performance. I didn't hate the QX60, but it always felt very functional, without any fun to it. And wasn't particularly comfortable. the GLE has it beat in every way.
Thanks for the comment, Im keeping my QX60 so I’m looking to get a GLE or GLS as a new primary car-will let the wife drive it and I’ll drive the Infiniti. Glad to hear it is a step up. Did you get the GLE450 or 350? I’m on my cell so can’t see you model type by your name.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:11 PM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
Thanks for the comment, Im keeping my QX60 so I’m looking to get a GLE or GLS as a new primary car-will let the wife drive it and I’ll drive the Infiniti. Glad to hear it is a step up. Did you get the GLE450 or 350? I’m on my cell so can’t see you model type by your name.
I got the 450 with AMG exterior and 21-inch multispoke wheels (among other options). Absolutely love it.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Get the 450. Resale value might make up some or all of the difference and mine gets excellent mileage. I drove a 350 loaner for several days and while nice .... as Greg said, it’s not nearly as refined.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:26 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2018 AMG S63 Cabriolet

You're making the mistake of assuming the use of the traditional starter hasn't been accounted for. The starter is beefed up from what is necessary in a non-start/stop vehicle and should be fine. The tech has been out for many years now with cars well over 100k mi by now. Automakers haven't been seeing the need for mass starter replacements so I think you can put those worries to rest.
The following 3 users liked this post by Prago:
bad habit (01-28-2020), GregW / Oregon (01-27-2020), user 7208224 (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Prago
You're making the mistake of assuming the use of the traditional starter hasn't been accounted for. The starter is beefed up from what is necessary in a non-start/stop vehicle and should be fine. The tech has been out for many years now with cars well over 100k mi by now. Automakers haven't been seeing the need for mass starter replacements so I think you can put those worries to rest.
Thanks for the comment—you are correct that I am assuming. Glad to hear the starters used in this application have been reliable—one would certainly expect them to be. A little concerning to read about rough auto on/off starts on the GLE 350–I wonder how it compares to the auto start function in my QX60 which also has a 4 cylinder. I don’t consider it rough, but you do hear and feel a slight vibration when it starts...so rough is probably relative. Only way to find out is to go test drive a GLE 350 for myself, which I will when I’m ready make a decision in March. For now I’m in the research phase...so I sincerely appreciate any and all responses to my questions.

Do you know if the air conditioning compressor and power steering pump are electrically driven on the GLE 350, or they powered by an engine driven assessory belt? I’m under the impression it’s the latter, but I’m not positive. Ideally they would be electrically driven as on the GLE 450, but I’m assuming that requires the 48v system which the GLE 350 does not have.

For now, I’m leaning towards a GLE 450 based on the feedback above, but I’m keeping an open mind.

Last edited by TexAg91; 01-27-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)

This link explains how it all works... I had it wrong, I didn't think it used the starter at all but it does...

https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaS...ml?oid=9361921

Last edited by mrmotoguzzi00; 01-27-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Thanks for the comment—you are correct that I am assuming. Glad to hear the starters used in this application have been reliable—one would certainly expect them to be. A little concerning to read about rough auto on/off starts on the GLE 350–I wonder how it compares to the auto start function in my QX60 which also has a 4 cylinder. I don’t consider it rough, but you do hear and feel a slight vibration when it starts...so rough is probably relative. Only way to find out is to go test drive a GLE 350 for myself, which I will when I’m ready make a decision in March. For now I’m in the research phase...so I sincerely appreciate any and all responses to my questions.

Do you know if the air conditioning compressor and power steering pump are electrically driven on the GLE 350, or they powered by an engine driven assessory belt? I’m under the impression it’s the latter, but I’m not positive. Ideally they would be electrically driven as on the GLE 450, but I’m assuming that requires the 48v system which the GLE 350 does not have.

For now, I’m leaning towards a GLE 450 based on the feedback above, but I’m keeping an open mind.
On the 350 the AC is driven by a belt connected to the engine. Power Steering has been electric in MB for many years now so I don't see why it wouldn't be electric in the GLE350.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00
This link explains how it all works... I had it wrong, I didn't think it used the starter at all but it does...

https://media.daimler.com/marsMediaS...ml?oid=9361921
Very helpful link, thanks. I see the starter has been designed for 8 times as many start/stops cycles as a typical starter without start/stop tech. Good to know.

Last edited by TexAg91; 01-27-2020 at 05:05 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE issues