GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

GLE issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 05:05 PM

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y
Originally Posted by thenew3
On the 350 the AC is driven by a belt connected to the engine. Power Steering has been electric in MB for many years now so I don't see why it wouldn't be electric in the GLE350.
That’s what I thought—thank you for the info. For any GLE 350 driver out there, when you run the A/C with the start/stop function on, will it regularly stop the engine at a light, or is it a rare event due to the demands of the A/C system (i.e., frequent compressor cycling) to maintain the air temp?
Old 01-27-2020, 05:25 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
2018 AMG S63 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by TexAg91
Thanks for the comment—you are correct that I am assuming. Glad to hear the starters used in this application have been reliable—one would certainly expect them to be. A little concerning to read about rough auto on/off starts on the GLE 350–I wonder how it compares to the auto start function in my QX60 which also has a 4 cylinder. I don’t consider it rough, but you do hear and feel a slight vibration when it starts...so rough is probably relative. Only way to find out is to go test drive a GLE 350 for myself, which I will when I’m ready make a decision in March. For now I’m in the research phase...so I sincerely appreciate any and all responses to my questions.

Do you know if the air conditioning compressor and power steering pump are electrically driven on the GLE 350, or they powered by an engine driven assessory belt? I’m under the impression it’s the latter, but I’m not positive. Ideally they would be electrically driven as on the GLE 450, but I’m assuming that requires the 48v system which the GLE 350 does not have.

For now, I’m leaning towards a GLE 450 based on the feedback above, but I’m keeping an open mind.
Do you have the QX60 hybrid? I know the regular model has a V6. I'd imagine your hybrid turns on and off more smoothly. Just based on my test drive I'd get a GLE450 overall.
The following users liked this post:
rrayborn38 (01-30-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
Originally Posted by TexAg91
That’s what I thought—thank you for the info. For any GLE 350 driver out there, when you run the A/C with the start/stop function on, will it regularly stop the engine at a light, or is it a rare event due to the demands of the A/C system (i.e., frequent compressor cycling) to maintain the air temp?
I have a 350 and I found that the engine would stop at a light however it would start again much sooner with the A/C running. I have grown use to it, however, most people who ride with me find it quite annoying!!! Now that Winter is here, the engine stays off much longer at a light than in the Summer.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Prago
Do you have the QX60 hybrid? I know the regular model has a V6. I'd imagine your hybrid turns on and off more smoothly. Just based on my test drive I'd get a GLE450 overall.
Yes, I have a QX60 Hybrid that I plan to keep. It has a supercharged 4-cylinder with a 20 HP electric motor located between the engine and transmission. Infiniti has set it up more for performance (torque assist to the engine) than for fuel efficiency.

My one gripe is the A/C compressor is driven by an engine assessory belt, vice being driven electrically, so when you operate the climate system, the engine doesn't shut off, even at stop lights. So the charge in the batteries is mainly used to assist the engine when accelerating, so the 4 cylinder has the performance of the 6 cylinder.

If I turn the climate system off, no A/C demand, it will turn the engine off at stop lights and sail as much as possible while in motion...I can easily get 27 MPG...but only with the climate system off. With the A/C on I get about 21 MPG in city driving, and 25 MPG Hwy at 75 MPH. Not too bad for a 3-row SUV.

Last edited by TexAg91; 01-28-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Prago (01-30-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by WA3CUJ
I have a 350 and I found that the engine would stop at a light however it would start again much sooner with the A/C running. I have grown use to it, however, most people who ride with me find it quite annoying!!! Now that Winter is here, the engine stays off much longer at a light than in the Summer.
Thank you for taking time to answer my question. Sounds like my Infiniti QX60 Hybrid operates very similar to the GLE 350...at a traffic light.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
ECO starter is not foolproof though... my 2012 ML63 had only 29kmiles when i purchased and needed a starter.... it was a Sarasota vehicle guessing it spent a lot of time in stop and go traffic in the city... at 52k miles i had no issue with the new starter...
Old 01-28-2020, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Eco Start/Stop

Originally Posted by mrmotoguzzi00
ECO starter is not foolproof though... my 2012 ML63 had only 29kmiles when i purchased and needed a starter.... it was a Sarasota vehicle guessing it spent a lot of time in stop and go traffic in the city... at 52k miles i had no issue with the new starter...
Yeah, but in 2012 the technology was pretty new - I'm sure they've learned some things in the interim.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLE 350 4Matic SUV
WiFi Weirdness and Door Lock Weirdness

I too am having the intermittent GLE 350 doesn't lock when pressing the square on the outside of the handle. I am able to press the lock on the key fob and all works well. It appears to happen more when its wet at the moment, and I am wondering if the fact that my fingers may be cold is having anything to do with it as well.
My other weird thing is that I have to connect my iPhone to the wifi in the vehicle every time. Either by manually inputting the password or using the QR code. Shouldn't the mobile device automatically connect if I have "auto-on" setup on the device? Other than that, I am really enjoying the vehicle! This is my first Mercedes after having an Audi, and I will say, I love the way it feels!
Old 01-28-2020, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Originally Posted by Sgroovez
I too am having the intermittent GLE 350 doesn't lock when pressing the square on the outside of the handle. I am able to press the lock on the key fob and all works well. It appears to happen more when its wet at the moment, and I am wondering if the fact that my fingers may be cold is having anything to do with it as well.
My other weird thing is that I have to connect my iPhone to the wifi in the vehicle every time. Either by manually inputting the password or using the QR code. Shouldn't the mobile device automatically connect if I have "auto-on" setup on the device? Other than that, I am really enjoying the vehicle! This is my first Mercedes after having an Audi, and I will say, I love the way it feels!
Try shaking the key fob to see if it will then lock the car by touching the handle, it is a known fault on the GLE and hopefully MB will come up with a fix for it.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Like Phil said....also I found that the Fob also has something to do with the kick to open the rear hatch on mine. If I shake the Fob my hatch kick works most of the time. Other than that the Fob works for everything else. It’s puzzling how it woks to start the vehicle yet won’t lock it. As I posted on another thread there are new Fobs due out soon. I assume they are going to new production first.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:23 PM

2020 GLE 350 4Matic SUV
Thanks! I will give it a shot. If I have the fob in my pocket and get out of the drivers seat (if the key is in my pants pocket, or jacket pocket) I would think that make the fob "wake up" but who knows! I will give it a try tho! Thanks!
Old 01-29-2020, 05:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Thanks! I will give it a shot. If I have the fob in my pocket and get out of the drivers seat (if the key is in my pants pocket, or jacket pocket) I would think that make the fob "wake up" but who knows! I will give it a try tho! Thanks!
Logically you are correct but the wake up isn't sensitive enough, you don't have to take the key out of your pocket, just "wiggle" it about, let us know how you get on.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:05 PM

2020 GLE 350 4Matic SUV
Well, that certainly did the trick! I literally parked my car, got out, and pressed the square to lock and nothing. I then reached into my pocket, shook the key fob, and then pressed the square again. This time, the vehicle locked! Thank you! Not my favorite way to lock the car, but at least I know what to do in future!
Old 01-29-2020, 04:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE450W4
"Well, that certainly did the trick! I literally parked my car, got out, and pressed the square to lock and nothing. I then reached into my pocket, shook the key fob, and then pressed the square again. This time, the vehicle locked! Thank you! Not my favorite way to lock the car, but at least I know what to do in future!"

Next time it won't lock by touching the door handle, press the LOCK button on the key fob, and you won't have to 'shake it'!
Sgroovez (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Originally Posted by Hurricane1938
"Well, that certainly did the trick! I literally parked my car, got out, and pressed the square to lock and nothing. I then reached into my pocket, shook the key fob, and then pressed the square again. This time, the vehicle locked! Thank you! Not my favorite way to lock the car, but at least I know what to do in future!"

Next time it won't lock by touching the door handle, press the LOCK button on the key fob, and you won't have to 'shake it'!
But you have to get the key out of your pocket, you don't have to shake it just move it about no big deal..

Last edited by Philamg; 01-29-2020 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Well, that certainly did the trick! I literally parked my car, got out, and pressed the square to lock and nothing. I then reached into my pocket, shook the key fob, and then pressed the square again. This time, the vehicle locked! Thank you! Not my favorite way to lock the car, but at least I know what to do in future!
That's the thing about forums, they provide a wealth of information.
Sgroovez (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Originally Posted by Hurricane1938

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of "Keyless" entry system if you have to reach for the key?
The following 3 users liked this post by thenew3:
killagram (01-29-2020), Sgroovez (01-29-2020), user 7208224 (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 05:19 PM

2020 GLE 350
GLE Engine Loses Power

Anyone else had this experience? I have a new 2020 GLE 350. Issue is that I pulled out of a parking lot and attempted to accelerate onto a busy road except nothing happened. Car did NOT accelerate but, instead, went as fast as if it was rolling without power. I was able to very slowly pull over to the side of the road and turned the car off then restarted. Car was fine. This was the third time this had happened in the past two weeks....to say it's scary is an under statement. Fast forward...Just got a call from my Mercedes service rep telling me that they could not figure out what the issues was after multiple road tests and because there was nothing showing any problems in the cars computer system. So I am going to pick up my car hoping it doesn't stall out as I pull out of the dealership or drive anywhere else, for that matter. Any insight at all would be helpful.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE450
Originally Posted by Philamg
Logically you are correct but the wake up isn't sensitive enough, you don't have to take the key out of your pocket, just "wiggle" it about, let us know how you get on.
So just to set things straight - Mercedes makes their customers wiggle their key fob inside their pockets, which in-turn makes onlookers think we're playing with ourselves in order to lock/unlock the doors. Thankfully I keep my keys in my jacket pocket. Got it. Thanks Mercedes!
Sgroovez (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 450
Unhappy

Originally Posted by killagram
So just to set things straight - Mercedes makes their customers wiggle their key fob inside their pockets, which in-turn makes onlookers think we're playing with ourselves in order to lock/unlock the doors. Thankfully I keep my keys in my jacket pocket. Got it. Thanks Mercedes!
Don't worry killagram, I have only been arrested twice in 6 months.
The following 2 users liked this post by Philamg:
killagram (01-29-2020), TxT858 (01-30-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Car losing power

Originally Posted by janegeddes5
Anyone else had this experience? I have a new 2020 GLE 350. Issue is that I pulled out of a parking lot and attempted to accelerate onto a busy road except nothing happened. Car did NOT accelerate but, instead, went as fast as if it was rolling without power. I was able to very slowly pull over to the side of the road and turned the car off then restarted. Car was fine. This was the third time this had happened in the past two weeks....to say it's scary is an under statement. Fast forward...Just got a call from my Mercedes service rep telling me that they could not figure out what the issues was after multiple road tests and because there was nothing showing any problems in the cars computer system. So I am going to pick up my car hoping it doesn't stall out as I pull out of the dealership or drive anywhere else, for that matter. Any insight at all would be helpful.
Someone on here had a similar issue a few months ago - lost power on the freeway. I'll try to find it.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
Wow!! Three times in two weeks!! I feel so lucky that I have not had the problems that you and others are having. However, I do feel your pain. I traded a 2018 Yukon Denali for my GLE because the dealership nor GMC could make it right. I was made to feel like I was nuts! So I took the loss and moved on. I hope you get things resolved. You should not have to feel uneasy every time you get behind the wheel!!!
Old 01-30-2020, 09:16 AM

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 GLS580, 2020 Corvette Z51
limp mode?

This sounds like it is going into limp mode. When you shut it off it resets. I had to drive to the dealer with this issue on my old w166 and not shut it off for the dealer to finally see the problem because there was no check eng light or codes in the computer after the reset. Very inconvenient.
Old 01-30-2020, 12:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
'14 E550, '14 911 C4S Cab, '12 ML350
Originally Posted by marchgroupinc
This sounds like it is going into limp mode. When you shut it off it resets. I had to drive to the dealer with this issue on my old w166 and not shut it off for the dealer to finally see the problem because there was no check eng light or codes in the computer after the reset. Very inconvenient.
Did the dealer find anything?
Old 01-30-2020, 06:06 PM

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 GLE350 4matic
Well lovely. We were all set to take delivery of our 450 today when the dealer called to say that the pre-delivery inspection turned up a defective headlight module. They are ordering a headlight and some module that is supposedly VIN specific. The headlight they can get from Alabama, but the module has to come from Germany.

Anyone heard of this before?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE issues