GLE issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,168 Likes on 839 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by audi40
Diagnosed as a "random misfire" - said they cleared the code and it's all fixed.

Going to pick it up shortly - fingers crossed, but was not fun to see this earlier today:
Mine ran fine after rebooting it, so different issue than yours. Disconcerting. You should post that photo on M-B’s Instagram feed!
Old 06-22-2019, 08:38 PM

Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
2021 GLE53 AMG
I had a weird one happen to me...my wife, son and I jumped into my new GLE and being 92 degrees here in FL we were waiting for the AC to cool down. It was blowing hot air only. I had to turn off the AC and then turn it back on and it then worked. Weird...
Old 06-23-2019, 06:41 AM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
I suspect software fixes will be needed to address many of these issues. With the computerized complexity of this vehicle there are surely lots of bugs in the programming.
Hopefully MB engineers and programmers are going to address those soon although with so few vehicles on the road the amount of diagnostic data they are working with is probably limited.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:26 AM

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts
2023 GLE450
Originally Posted by Tim Hatton
I'm havig a ton of issues with keyless go not "locking" doors. After a service call they think the keys are going to sleep and not waking up. Sure enough, if I just up and down before I try to lock the doors at the handle IT WORKS. So, how many of you out there are having to jump up and down to lock your doors!? This is rediculous.
I just wrote about this in a new post....didn't see anything mentioned but now I see this. I"m having the SAME EXACT problem.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,019 Likes on 692 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by bkushner
I just wrote about this in a new post....didn't see anything mentioned but now I see this. I"m having the SAME EXACT problem.
I have been using my wife's Key Fob for a few days and it does it too, yet other people aren't having the problem. If you shake the Fob it works every time but then just pushing lock is faster.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes GLe
Hi Greg, any update on your GLE, was it fixed?
Old 06-26-2019, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

New GLE is down

Originally Posted by attardtony
Hi Greg, any update on your GLE, was it fixed?
Not yet. As of yesterday,

"Good afternoon,

We heard back from Mercedes Benz concerning the repairs on your vehicle. They have us doing some further inspections and road testing. At this point we are still diagnosing the concern. My shop foreman is going to drive the vehicle some more to see if we can reproduce the problem. I will give you an update tomorrow as to where we are on completing the repairs. Thank you for your continued patience!"
Old 06-26-2019, 01:40 PM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
Not yet. As of yesterday,

"Good afternoon,

We heard back from Mercedes Benz concerning the repairs on your vehicle. They have us doing some further inspections and road testing. At this point we are still diagnosing the concern. My shop foreman is going to drive the vehicle some more to see if we can reproduce the problem. I will give you an update tomorrow as to where we are on completing the repairs. Thank you for your continued patience!"
That's the worst when an issue pops up intermittently and doesn't happen for the service technicians. Hopefully they figure it out soon. It's crazy they haven't even been able to diagnose the issue yet.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
S550 4Matic
This sounds like a problem that is highly intermittent and is therefore rare. If the service people and the factory people are not able to repeat it you can continue to use the car and it will probably never happen again. If it does, try and write down the conditions that led up to the problem.

I had a Mercury once that was having engine problems. It would happen every couple of months but was getting more frequent. The service people could never get it to happen when they were looking at it. Eventually the problem became more frequent and it repeated for a technician when he had a monitor hooked up and he diagnosed it immediately as an intermittent oxygen sensor. Problem solved.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

New GLE is down

Originally Posted by Bubba3
This sounds like a problem that is highly intermittent and is therefore rare. If the service people and the factory people are not able to repeat it you can continue to use the car and it will probably never happen again. If it does, try and write down the conditions that led up to the problem.

I had a Mercury once that was having engine problems. It would happen every couple of months but was getting more frequent. The service people could never get it to happen when they were looking at it. Eventually the problem became more frequent and it repeated for a technician when he had a monitor hooked up and he diagnosed it immediately as an intermittent oxygen sensor. Problem solved.
From the dealer today:

"Good afternoon, We have performed all testing and photo updates requested by Mercedes Benz. We are now awaiting news from them on the next step in the procedure to complete the repair. I expect to hear from them tomorrow. I will continue to update you as I am getting the information."

I hope they come up with something definitive, because having an $84k car that may strand you at any point is not comforting.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

New GLE is down

Pulled over to make a call and car won’t restart. Multiple error messages. Tried key in emergency position. Roadside coming. Grrr.
So car would turn on, but not start. MBUX working. Multiple error messages - "Blind Spot Assist inoperative," "Parking brake," "Malfunction - see Owner's manual." Jump start did nothing. Disconnecting and reconnecting battery got it started again (when in doubt, reboot!). At the dealer now; will report back. Hopefully, just a software issue.
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon;
Update 6/19: "Voltage issue - they're working on it." Did get a brand new bare bones GLE 350 as a loaner. The 350 is not as bad as I imagined. Reasonable pickup and steel spring suspension firm, but not too much. Engine sounds a little coarse compared to the six, naturally.
Update 6/20: They're still doing diagnostics. They've opened a case to work with the MB engineers. Adviser says it's related to voltage and continues to think it's something minor.
Update from dealer 6/21: "We have gone as far as we can with it. Mercedes Benz will advise us on the next steps. We are awaiting information from Mercedes Benz on how to proceed with the repair. There is an open “PTSS” case which involves Mercedes Benz repair team. I am sure we will have the vehicle for most of next week. As soon as I get anymore information I will update you. I am sorry for the inconvenience this has called. Please continue to use the loaner as your own. Have a great weekend!" Grrr,....
Not yet. As of yesterday. "We heard back from Mercedes Benz concerning the repairs on your vehicle. They have us doing some further inspections and road testing. At this point we are still diagnosing the concern. My shop foreman is going to drive the vehicle some more to see if we can reproduce the problem. I will give you an update tomorrow as to where we are on completing the repairs. Thank you for your continued patience!"
From the dealer today: "We have performed all testing and photo updates requested by Mercedes Benz. We are now awaiting news from them on the next step in the procedure to complete the repair. I expect to hear from them tomorrow. I will continue to update you as I am getting the information."
I hope they come up with something definitive, because having an $84k car that may strand you at any point is not comforting.
Today, 6/28. Sounds sketchy but I'll take it until proven wrong:
"We have found that cause for the concern is due to a high resistance because of paint on the GND (terminal). We should be able to have your vehicle completed by Monday 7/1/19. Thank you to you and your wife for your continued patience in this matter. I will contact you as soon as completed. Have a great weekend!!" The service adviser has been great about keeping me informed.
The following 2 users liked this post by GregW / Oregon:
rominl (06-29-2019), ShrimpKing (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 12:17 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
16 GL550
Hope for the best Greg!
Old 06-29-2019, 08:50 PM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
"We have found that cause for the concern is due to a high resistance because of paint on the GND (terminal). We should be able to have your vehicle completed by Monday 7/1/19. Thank you to you and your wife for your continued patience in this matter. I will contact you as soon as completed. Have a great weekend!!" The service adviser has been great about keeping me informed.
It's specific enough that it sounds like it's legit, at least. Hopefully it is and they get you back on the road on Monday. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2019, 09:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 MB GLE350, 2015.5 Volvo XC60 T5
Started car earlier today and pulled away. Took a few seconds to realize I was getting messages that various drivers assistance features were “inoperable” (I believe lane assist, braking, etc.) At a stop light I put it in park, shut down car and started back up. Everything back to normal. Hopefully, that was just a glitch.

-Terry
Old 06-30-2019, 09:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A220
Originally Posted by tjinn
Started car earlier today and pulled away. Took a few seconds to realize I was getting messages that various drivers assistance features were “inoperable” (I believe lane assist, braking, etc.) At a stop light I put it in park, shut down car and started back up. Everything back to normal. Hopefully, that was just a glitch.

-Terry
Brave of you to try that at a stop light. I've seen too many "car won't start" posts to try it myself without pulling over somewhere that a tow truck can easily get to me.
The following users liked this post:
guitarplayer (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 10:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 MB GLE350, 2015.5 Volvo XC60 T5
Originally Posted by Roger8
Brave of you to try that at a stop light. I've seen too many "car won't start" posts to try it myself without pulling over somewhere that a tow truck can easily get to me.
In hindsight, it might have been foolish, but I felt like it would clear up after a restart. Thankfully, it did!

-Terry
Old 07-01-2019, 04:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 Mercedes S550 4Matic, 2020 Mercedes GLE 450 4Matic

I posted the following on a non Mercedes forum:

So I ordered a custom built 2020 Mercedes GLE 450 4Matic for my wife which is a brand new model which came out this spring. It has the latest and greatest technology with 2 huge video screens, semi-autonomous driving, and all kinds of high tech stuff. But BEWARE of Quality!!!!

After 3 weeks of ownership and 2,000 miles while driving on a busy street, the Check Engine Light comes on suddenly, and the Vehicle goes into limp mode with no warning! Now it will only go 5 to 10 mph on a very busy street. I need to move over to the curb to pull over, but cars are wizzing by! I finally pull over to the curb and block the far right lane and shut off the vehicle and shut it back on to reset the computer. The car now accelerates normally but the Check Engine Light stays on! I take it in for service the next morning and it takes them over ONE WEEK (actually 2 weeks and 170 miles of their driving) to diagnose and fix the problem.

This vehicle is not assembled in Stuttgart, Germany but is assembled in Alabama. After multiple tries they diagnose that on assembly, 3 or more pin connector wire connections were NOT MADE to the accelerator pedal!!! How does that even happen! Where is the Quality Control? Why did the Check Engine Light not come on right away?

If this had put me in limp mode on a busy Interstate which I drive very frequently with 70mph speed limit, then it would not have been precarious, it would have been LIFE THREATENING!!! This makes me disappointed and a bit angry! Having owned Mercedes for 32 consecutive years, I will hesitate the next time, and will definitely avoid Mercedes not assembled in Germany.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

New GLE is down

Pulled over to make a call and car won’t restart. Multiple error messages. Tried key in emergency position. Roadside coming. Grrr.
So car would turn on, but not start. MBUX working. Multiple error messages - "Blind Spot Assist inoperative," "Parking brake," "Malfunction - see Owner's manual." Jump start did nothing. Disconnecting and reconnecting battery got it started again (when in doubt, reboot!). At the dealer now; will report back. Hopefully, just a software issue.
Update 6/19: "Voltage issue - they're working on it." Did get a brand new bare bones GLE 350 as a loaner. The 350 is not as bad as I imagined. Reasonable pickup and steel spring suspension firm, but not too much. Engine sounds a little coarse compared to the six, naturally.
Update 6/20: They're still doing diagnostics. They've opened a case to work with the MB engineers. Adviser says it's related to voltage and continues to think it's something minor.
Update from dealer 6/21: "We have gone as far as we can with it. Mercedes Benz will advise us on the next steps. We are awaiting information from Mercedes Benz on how to proceed with the repair. There is an open “PTSS” case which involves Mercedes Benz repair team. I am sure we will have the vehicle for most of next week. As soon as I get anymore information I will update you. I am sorry for the inconvenience this has called. Please continue to use the loaner as your own. Have a great weekend!" Grrr,....
Not yet. As of yesterday. "We heard back from Mercedes Benz concerning the repairs on your vehicle. They have us doing some further inspections and road testing. At this point we are still diagnosing the concern. My shop foreman is going to drive the vehicle some more to see if we can reproduce the problem. I will give you an update tomorrow as to where we are on completing the repairs. Thank you for your continued patience!"
From the dealer today: "We have performed all testing and photo updates requested by Mercedes Benz. We are now awaiting news from them on the next step in the procedure to complete the repair. I expect to hear from them tomorrow. I will continue to update you as I am getting the information."
So after 12 days in the shop, I finally got it back, but no real cause found. Except, the issue was the subject of an internal MBUSI document, apparently. All they really did is clean the ground terminals. Just hoping it doesn't happen again.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:13 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GLE 450 / E450 Cabriolet
Glad you have it back! Would have been better if they found a definite cause. Hope all remains well.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No start

So the car has been fine the last six days since we got it back from the dealer. Yesterday afternoon I went to start the car and, like before, it would not turn over. This time there was the message, "Place the key in the marked space - See Operator's Manual."

The "marked spot" they are referring to is a recess at the front bottom of the storage console for "emergency operation mode." The first time I had the no-start problem I did not get this message and this did not work.

This time when I did that, it then started, but it's a little disconcerting.

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 07-08-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:40 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE 450 And some not MB cars
So the car has been fine the last six days since we got it back from the dealer. Yesterday afternoon I went to start the car and, like before, it would not turn over. This time there was the message, "Place the key in the marked space - See Operator's Manual."

The "marked spot" they are referring to is a recess at the front bottom of the storage console for "emergency operation mode." The first time I had the no-start problem I did not get this message and this did not work.

This time when I did that, it then started, but it's a little disconcerting.
I have the same issues before. Dealer told me the battery of the key is low. Need put the key in the center console to charge it.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:48 AM

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
'20 GLE450; '06 CL65
Originally Posted by ShrimpKing
I have the same issues before. Dealer told me the battery of the key is low. Need put the key in the center console to charge it.
So the key battery is rechargeable? I missed that in the manual.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Key fob battery

The battery is not rechargeable - it is a disposable CR2032. Dealers!

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 07-08-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE 450 And some not MB cars
I have no clue, but she told me this information from MBUSA corporate tech guy. I had some question how to use MBUX, she find out the answers and also let me know the key need recharged. Anyway, after did that, this issue never happen again.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Key fob battery

I have no clue, but she told me this information from MBUSA corporate tech guy. I had some question how to use MBUX, she find out the answers and also let me know the key need recharged. Anyway, after did that, this issue never happen again.
Yeah, misinformation. That area in the console apparently has a receiver that optimizes receipt of the SmartKey signal. The fact it didn't happen to you again is likely just that the anomaly didn't recur, not that the battery got charged. The manual is clear that you replace the battery, not recharge it, since CR2032s are not rechargeable. It would be nice if it were rechargeable, but the button cells typically, from past experience, last a year or so.
The following users liked this post:
ShrimpKing (07-08-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE issues