GLE 450-Some Random Thoughts & More

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon
The -1 setting, lowest with regular Airmatic, is -0.6" (Sport mode). Sport+ with E-ABC gets you the -2 setting, which is -1.0", not a huge difference.
That’s what the Manual says but I get an inch or close to it. Measuring at the center of the car.
The following users liked this post:
bad habit (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 09:41 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 E400 convertible
We just took delivery of our 2020 GLE450 this week. So far, we’re enjoying it a lot. There’s still plenty to learn, but I thought I would seek advice on two questions, and offer one very positive comment.

To the left of the gear indicator on the screen in front of the driver is a green rectangle with the word “Ready” in it. I can’t find what this means.

i miss gauges for temperature, oil pressure, ammeter, and such. There is a screen for engine information that can be displayed on the center panel, but it’s a very busy display and not intuitive. It would be nice if round gauges could be displayed in front of the driver in place of the large speedometer or, even better, along with the speedometer, but this is apparently not possible.

Now the praise. We live in a cold place, and ordered the cold weather package. The heater starts blowing warm air after driving only three blocks from a cold start, and by then the rapid heating seats, heated steering wheel, and heated door panels and armrest are also doing their job. Very nice!
Old 10-17-2019, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Originally Posted by JohninBismarck
We just took delivery of our 2020 GLE450 this week. So far, we’re enjoying it a lot. There’s still plenty to learn, but I thought I would seek advice on two questions, and offer one very positive comment.

To the left of the gear indicator on the screen in front of the driver is a green rectangle with the word “Ready” in it. I can’t find what this means.

i miss gauges for temperature, oil pressure, ammeter, and such. There is a screen for engine information that can be displayed on the center panel, but it’s a very busy display and not intuitive. It would be nice if round gauges could be displayed in front of the driver in place of the large speedometer or, even better, along with the speedometer, but this is apparently not possible.

Now the praise. We live in a cold place, and ordered the cold weather package. The heater starts blowing warm air after driving only three blocks from a cold start, and by then the rapid heating seats, heated steering wheel, and heated door panels and armrest are also doing their job. Very nice!
Bismark, ooh, how do you do it! Do you have a herd of bison? (Sorry for the stereo type). Yes, getting the cold weather package was a good choice. I will miss the heated wheel, but wanted the sport interior.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:55 PM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
Bismark, ooh, how do you do it! Do you have a herd of bison? (Sorry for the stereo type). Yes, getting the cold weather package was a good choice. I will miss the heated wheel, but wanted the sport interior.
I made the same tradeoff because that AMG wheel is so damn cool looking. I do find myself second-guessing it a lot because I'm worried about the comfort of the seats. The AMG interior seems to be exceedingly rare, so I haven't been able to test drive it. We wound up on the GLE because the Audi Q7's seats were so uncomfortable after just a 15-minute test drive. Part of me still wonders if I should have gone for the multicontour seats and driver's assistance package and skipped the AMG interior, but it's impossible to know without trying both of them out.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Seat comfort

Originally Posted by bigpern23
I made the same tradeoff because that AMG wheel is so damn cool looking. I do find myself second-guessing it a lot because I'm worried about the comfort of the seats. The AMG interior seems to be exceedingly rare, so I haven't been able to test drive it. We wound up on the GLE because the Audi Q7's seats were so uncomfortable after just a 15-minute test drive. Part of me still wonders if I should have gone for the multicontour seats and driver's assistance package and skipped the AMG interior, but it's impossible to know without trying both of them out.
Yeah, it's a crap shoot. I find the Sport seats okay, my wife doesn't like them. I don't like them as well as the same in my 2012. But we got the Dinamica; I think the Nappa is the way to go. You hear similar complaints about the multicountours from some - depends on you body type and likes.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:17 PM

2018 E400 convertible
As a matter of fact, we do have some bison here. Specifically the North Dakota State University Bison football team! They have won seven national football championships in recent years.

We made it through a big snow storm last week. Seventeen inches in Bismarck over three days, which was a record. We were running well-worn OE Continental all season tires on our 2016 300d. Thankfully, we had clear roads on Monday when we drove it to the dealer in SD to trade it in on the 2020 450. Because the new GLE has the same size 19 inch tires as the old one, we have winter tires to mount before winter really arrives.

The only shortcoming for the 2016 in snow was limited ground clearance. We opted for the air suspension on the 2020, which can raise the vehicle about two inches. The system doesn’t seem to be as good as what they offer on vehicles with more “off road” cred, like the Grand Cherokee or Range Rover, but it should help.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:46 PM

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
2020 GLE 450 AMG exterior
Yeah, it's a crap shoot. I find the Sport seats okay, my wife doesn't like them. I don't like them as well as the same in my 2012. But we got the Dinamica; I think the Nappa is the way to go. You hear similar complaints about the multicountours from some - depends on you body type and likes.
We got the MB-Tex Dinamica. I mentioned in another thread that our original March order is complete and delayed at the VPC. It has the same interior, so if that comes in earlier than the June reorder, I'll go take it for a ride and see how it feels. I can see myself placing a third order if it's awful.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:29 AM
Banned

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
A
Originally Posted by JohninBismarck

Ready is for the EQ Boost System, I was wondering the same and found it in the manual yesterday
Old 10-19-2019, 11:23 AM

2018 E400 convertible
Ready is for the EQ Boost System, I was wondering the same and found it in the manual yesterday
Thanks. It’s good to know it’s “ready”, I guess.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:53 PM
Banned

A
I got to say the intermittent functionality of keyless go and hands-free trunk opening is starting to annoy me, especially when my keys are in my pocket, my hands are full, and it's raining.
The navigation is also not that great, the arrival times are way off for me, and the routing is sometimes really weird - I have been spot-checking with Apple Maps and they always have a better route.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:56 AM
Banned

A
Arrow

The -1 setting, lowest with regular Airmatic, is -0.6" (Sport mode). Sport+ with E-ABC gets you the -2 setting, which is -1.0", not a huge difference.
Looking at the car status, it would actually lower to -2 when parked. When I start driving, it raises to -1. Wondering if this is by design, or a software bug.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bad habit
Looking at the car status, it would actually lower to -2 when parked. When I start driving, it raises to -1. Wondering if this is by design, or a software bug.
I would go with bug! I have had several nuances like the lower on entry stayed on, the rocker switch inactive. After my last service visit, updates and hard reboot (battery disconnect) mine now works as currently designed except by measurement it drops one inch in Sport and lower on entry. Is that the way it should be or manual wrong??/
Old 10-20-2019, 01:01 PM
Banned

A
Frustrating! I noticed that it won't always lower on entry and for some reason that setting won't stick being enabled.
In other news, I came to my car this morning and all 4 windows were rolled down by an inch. Luckily, I park in a garage.
I am wondering now whether I held the remote buttons and caused this to happen or did the car do it on its own.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Frustrating! I noticed that it won't always lower on entry and for some reason that setting won't stick being enabled.
In other news, I came to my car this morning and all 4 windows were rolled down by an inch. Luckily, I park in a garage.
I am wondering now whether I held the remote buttons and caused this to happen or did the car do it on its own.
Lower on Entry, for some unknown reason has to be reset each time you stop. Mine stayed on for a week or two but hasn’t repeated. A lot of these settings should Stay on IMO, like the drive mode you set & Lane Keep to off. Maybe some day.....
bad habit (10-20-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 11:09 AM
Banned

A
I noticed that even though my map updates are set on Automatic and I have a wifi hotspot, the maps aren't actively updated. I had version 260 upon delivery, and on the Mercedes Me portal it indicates that latest version is 271.
So I loaded up the updated maps (about 4.5 GBs in total for Northeast region) on a USB stick and had it done manually. You would need to install the MB Download Manager for that, use a flash drive and the USB-C port in your car.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nav map updates

I noticed that even though my map updates are set on Automatic and I have a wifi hotspot, the maps aren't actively updated. I had version 260 upon delivery, and on the Mercedes Me portal it indicates that latest version is 271.
So I loaded up the updated maps (about 4.5 GBs in total for Northeast region) on a USB stick and had it done manually. You would need to install the MB Download Manager for that, use a flash drive and the USB-C port in your car.
There area a couple (older) threads on this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...avigation.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...ir-update.html

bad habit (10-21-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLE 450 4matic
I have a new 2020 GLE 450, and I do not have Driver Assistance or "augmented navigation". I can't seem to find the current posted speed limit for any given road that I happen to be on. Does anybody know how to find it or where it is somewhere on my dashboard? Thank you.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Speed limit sign feature

Originally Posted by soldd
I have a new 2020 GLE 450, and I do not have Driver Assistance or "augmented navigation". I can't seem to find the current posted speed limit for any given road that I happen to be on. Does anybody know how to find it or where it is somewhere on my dashboard? Thank you.
Traffic Sign Assist (513) is part of the DA2 Driver's Assistance Package Plus.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:29 PM

2020 GLE 450 4matic
Thanks for your note. So since I also do not have Traffic Sign Assist, I am out of luck and I have no access at all anywhere to find the posted speed limit. Am I hearing you correctly? Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:45 PM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
Where are you downloading the map updates from? I log into the Mercedes Me Connect portal, and under "services" I have a few options:
Doors and Windows - Geofencing - ECO Display - Online Map Updates - Software updates

All of them work (e.g. Software updates shows "No software updates are currently available for your vehicle."), except for Online Map Updates which gives this error:

Online map update

This service is not available.

The service Online Map Update is unavailable for technical reasons.

Please contact your service partner to localise and eradicate this problem directly.

Contact service partner
I clicked the contact link and filled the form to hopefully "localise and eradicate" (!) the problem, but is there a direct download link for NA maps so that I can install them manually? I'm also on version 260.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:26 AM
Banned

A
Yeah that's where they are but the service is down again

Old 10-23-2019, 09:48 AM

2020 GLE 450 4matic
Thanks for your interest in my issue here. My thinking is that the posted, current speed limit is not based on what map version I have, but rather it might be based on receiving it through GPS. I also have a '17 Ford truck, and an older (approx. 5 years) portable Garmin GPS unit, and they display the current speed limit. So I wonder why I don't receive the posted speed limit the same way in something as sophisticated as a 2020 Mercedes Benz.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by soldd
Thanks for your interest in my issue here. My thinking is that the posted, current speed limit is not based on what map version I have, but rather it might be based on receiving it through GPS. I also have a '17 Ford truck, and an older (approx. 5 years) portable Garmin GPS unit, and they display the current speed limit. So I wonder why I don't receive the posted speed limit the same way in something as sophisticated as a 2020 Mercedes Benz.
My guess would be that reading traffic signs is far more accurate as the primary reason. And why build a less reliable 2nd system? Our Audi has both and the embedded speed limit in maps has numerous weaknesses: Out of date as speed limits are changed; Doesn’t post curve or other speed limit data like off ramps; doesn’t know about special restrictions for construction, etc. The camera is always up to date, usually correct and more in keeping with the trend toward a self driving vehicle.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 121 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 350
Originally Posted by maalox
Where are you downloading the map updates from? I log into the Mercedes Me Connect portal, and under "services" I have a few options:
Doors and Windows - Geofencing - ECO Display - Online Map Updates - Software updates

All of them work (e.g. Software updates shows "No software updates are currently available for your vehicle."), except for Online Map Updates which gives this error:[h2]

I clicked the contact link and filled the form to hopefully "localise and eradicate" (!) the problem, but is there a direct download link for NA maps so that I can install them manually? I'm also on version 260.
i use to get that message. I then sat in the car and hit the meConnect button and they connected me with technical support. They made some changes on their end and I was then able to connect. I was still only able to connect about 50% of the time. I had my vehicle in for something else and "complained" to the service adviser. After I picked up the vehicle I have been able to connect about 100% of the time for close to 2 months now. I have no idea what they did.

I have never had any of my maps update automatically. I got my vehicle on June 13th and have updated the maps twice manually. Even if you do update automatically, you will still need to do a manual update to get the accompanying voice files that go with the map updates.
bad habit (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 03:19 PM

2020 GLE 450 4matic
Thank you all for your help. My GLE 450 was built in Dec 2018 and when I bought it in early Oct 2019, it had 438 miles on it. My guess is that it was built and "shown" with fewer options than I would have ordered simply to make it look more affordable to get into an EQ Boost GLE. But my goal was to have an EQ Boost GLE, they made me a pretty good offer, and here we are. So I will continue to ping on Mercedes Benz to make myself 100% convinced that my vehicle is simply incapable of showing me the posted speed limit anywhere. Thanks again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GLE 450-Some Random Thoughts & More