GLE 450-Some Random Thoughts & More

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 01:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Just a quick update on a few things.

Windshield wipers-At the first 10k service mine were replaced as part of the 4 year service plan and the new ones work great. I had a sticky residue on the windshield at delivery that I removed and cleaned the wipers with WD 40. There was still a little chatter in low rain conditions. The new ones have no chatter, work perfect.
Rainy days today and yesterday... Have same chatter that you mention and can be annoying and a bit noisy. Has anyone found a solution to this without replacing the wiper blades?
Old 02-19-2020, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,182 Likes on 850 Posts
2020 GLE 450; 2023 BMW M2 Coupe
Wiper chatter

Originally Posted by turko
Rainy days today and yesterday... Have same chatter that you mention and can be annoying and a bit noisy. Has anyone found a solution to this without replacing the wiper blades?
Try polishing the glass. Do NOT use Rain-X.

The following users liked this post:
turko (02-20-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 02:41 PM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
Another snowy day today in Montreal because hey, it's winter!
I am honestly disappointed with how lame 4MATIC is where torque is variably transferred between axles. I have a feeling the basic 4MATIC with torque split 50/50 must be better at avoiding tire slippage in 2-3 inches of snow. The worst part is, it isn't my tires as I've had the same model of Bridgestone Blizzakks for three winters on my 2016 W166 GLE350d, and never ever had any issues getting stuck in snow. We just powered through everything. Now I feel I have a Mustang on DOT slicks.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4MATIC in snow

Originally Posted by tiri
I am honestly disappointed with how lame 4MATIC is where torque is variably transferred between axles. I have a feeling the basic 4MATIC with torque split 50/50 must be better at avoiding tire slippage in 2-3 inches of snow. The worst part is, it isn't my tires as I've had the same model of Bridgestone Blizzakks for three winters on my 2016 W166 GLE350d, and never ever had any issues getting stuck in snow. We just powered through everything. Now I feel I have a Mustang on DOT slicks.
That's disconcerting. Maybe something is not working properly? Have not had the chance to try mine in snow yet.

"When moving off either forwards or in reverse, Torque on Demand ensures the best possible traction even on ice and snow. The physical operating principle of the clutch corresponds to that of a centre differential lock familiar from purely off-road vehicles." - Daimler

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 02-19-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:24 PM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
2020 GLE
I’ve driven in as much as six inches of snow wearing the Blizzaks and haven’t had any tire slipping. I’m not heavy on the gas and brakes though.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
We have had an unusually warm winter with little snow so only once have I driven in about 3 inches of snow. Mine seemed to work well. I tried to spin the wheels in a parking lot with the steering cramped a little. There was no fishtailing or lag noticed. Felt a lot like the Audi that stays straight always but maybe I need to get in more snow. Yours just doesn’t sound normal.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:41 AM

Received 134 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 GLE450 4Matic AMG-Line
My impression is that I have a soft-roader, and not even a good one at that. I recall never getting stuck in deep snow banks with my old 2001 BMW E38 740i Sport, and that was RWD!

All this to say I may very well lean towards the upcoming redesigned Jeep Grand Cherokee in 2022.
Sigh.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Can you guys in the US still order the off road pack for the 450, I have it on mine but it has not been available in UK for months.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4MATIC in snow

My impression is that I have a soft-roader, and not even a good one at that. I recall never getting stuck in deep snow banks with my old 2001 BMW E38 740i Sport, and that was RWD!

All this to say I may very well lean towards the upcoming redesigned Jeep Grand Cherokee in 2022.
Sigh.
It really sounds like something is not working right. take it to the dealer to demonstrate next snowy day (or are they all?).
Old 02-26-2020, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by turko
I read an article a few months ago about cleaning the wiper with WD40. I just did this to our 33 month old Audi that had severe chatter. I cleaned them once and got a lot of black residue so did it again and they are as good as new now after a few weeks. I’m skeptical that this will last and might try the glass polish Greg mentions also.
The new wipers on my GLE have developed a very slight chatter now in very light rain so I might still have some contamination in the glass. They use MagChloride and mix salt with the road mix spread in winter so contamination may be from that source. The black pavement on Hwy 93 in Nevada is white from salt residue....just drove through there a few days ago.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dealer fixes for issues noted in post 371 above

Here is the invoice for repairs made by my dealer. When I picked up the vehicle the Tech and Shop Foreman were at lunch so I got 2nd hand info from my Service Advisor. My car was in the shop for 15 days-the first week was mostly waiting for Mercedes Tech solutions PTSS Case opened. The battery was an unexpected development. About 2 weeks ago I had a notice (Mercedes me) that my starter battery had reached critical low charge after sitting in my garage for a few days. (Spaced out the starter battery part thinking it was my 12 volt maybe run down by radar detector, camera, etc) Then while in the shop I had 4 more notices so I forwarded one to the Shop Foreman and that may have helped isolate an important issue. But in the invoice it states that they replaced the 12 volt battery...”HSBMA3R states to charge battery....charged, waited, tested again GJ45A3R-94BUPX8 states to charge, replaced battery stamp 0819-part# A009829108” . It appears that the App is assuming that all GLE’s use the 12 volt to start not taking into account the 48 volt battery in the 450.

My understanding is that I had two main issues-
1. A defective Command Module Affecting Nav & Mercedes Assistant.
2. Various electrical issues causing low voltage, intermittent power loss, etc. Grounding issues, Pre Fuse box defective, battery defective. These were causing some custom settings to change back to the factory default.

It’s too early to tell for certain but my Key Fob issues (unexpectedly) may be resolved. For the first time the lock function worked 5 times in a row without the need to jiggle or shake. I will see if this continues to work over the next few days and will report back.

Sorry these are out of order...
Page 1

page 3

Page 2

There is still no FUP3 update available.....😬

Last edited by Ron.s; 02-26-2020 at 09:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IconBycon (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 01:50 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 450
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Here is the invoice for repairs made by my dealer. When I picked up the vehicle the Tech and Shop Foreman were at lunch so I got 2nd hand info from my Service Advisor. My car was in the shop for 15 days-the first week was mostly waiting for Mercedes Tech solutions PTSS Case opened. The battery was an unexpected development. About 2 weeks ago I had a notice (Mercedes me) that my starter battery had reached critical low charge after sitting in my garage for a few days. (Spaced out the starter battery part thinking it was my 12 volt maybe run down by radar detector, camera, etc) Then while in the shop I had 4 more notices so I forwarded one to the Shop Foreman and that may have helped isolate an important issue. But in the invoice it states that they replaced the 12 volt battery...”HSBMA3R states to charge battery....charged, waited, tested again GJ45A3R-94BUPX8 states to charge, replaced battery stamp 0819-part# A009829108” . It appears that the App is assuming that all GLE’s use the 12 volt to start not taking into account the 48 volt battery in the 450.

My understanding is that I had two main issues-
1. A defective Command Module Affecting Nav & Mercedes Assistant.
2. Various electrical issues causing low voltage, intermittent power loss, etc. Grounding issues, Pre Fuse box defective, battery defective. These were causing some custom settings to change back to the factory default.

It’s too early to tell for certain but my Key Fob issues (unexpectedly) may be resolved. For the first time the lock function worked 5 times in a row without the need to jiggle or shake. I will see if this continues to work over the next few days and will report back.

Sorry these are out of order...

There is still no FUP3 update available.....😬

WOW!

Thanks for sharing that.