GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Iphone 12+ intermittent charging issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2021 | 10:13 PM

2021 GLE 63
Iphone 12+ intermittent charging issue

Hi All, Just picked up my dealer stock GLE 450 today (Selenite Gray, DG1 AMG Exterior, DP1, Premium package 1, Pano Roof, Heated Ventilated seats, Augmented video , Black MB Tex, metal weave trimand 21" rims) and while I was bummed that I couldn't find a GLE with the air suspension, I am still really happy with it after a day of putting it through its paces and a solid hour sitting parked on my block in NYC reading the manual. Ride is by far better than I had anticipated with the 21's and it just looks so damn good. I'm sure I'll find a reason to want the air suspension, but I needed the car now. I'll share my driving impressions soon. So here's one issue that I am not sure if it's a "me" thing or a universal issue. I understand the carplay wireless vs wired problem, but every time i put my Iphone 12+ pro max in the wireless charger, it shows that its charging for maybe 20 seconds, then it stops charging. Is anyone else experiencing this issue. Kind of annoying to have wireless charging that won't charge your phone. Overall, I am seriously happy and can't wait for an extended out of city day trip this weekend. The GLE 450 is pretty damn fun. Years ago I had my CLK430 worked over with Brabus upgrades, but I'm trying to temper that idea because this is also a family car. Anyone with this charging issue? Thanks.

Last edited by Daso; 03-23-2021 at 10:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Daso:
Jeff Kauffman (04-24-2021), MEAC (09-17-2022)
Old 03-23-2021 | 11:16 PM

2004 CLK320 Cab, 2020 GLE350
Originally Posted by Daso
Hi All, Just picked up my dealer stock GLE 450 today (Selenite Gray, DG1 AMG Exterior, DP1, Premium package 1, Pano Roof, Heated Ventilated seats, Augmented video , Black MB Tex, metal weave trimand 21" rims) and while I was bummed that I couldn't find a GLE with the air suspension, I am still really happy with it after a day of putting it through its paces and a solid hour sitting parked on my block in NYC reading the manual. Ride is by far better than I had anticipated with the 21's and it just looks so damn good. I'm sure I'll find a reason to want the air suspension, but I needed the car now. I'll share my driving impressions soon. So here's one issue that I am not sure if it's a "me" thing or a universal issue. I understand the carplay wireless vs wired problem, but every time i put my Iphone 12+ pro max in the wireless charger, it shows that its charging for maybe 20 seconds, then it stops charging. Is anyone else experiencing this issue. Kind of annoying to have wireless charging that won't charge your phone. Overall, I am seriously happy and can't wait for an extended out of city day trip this weekend. The GLE 450 is pretty damn fun. Years ago I had my CLK430 worked over with Brabus upgrades, but I'm trying to temper that idea because this is also a family car. Anyone with this charging issue? Thanks.
Congratulations on your skill in going through the manual in a solid hour. For many of us, especially me, it was a solid 2 1/2 weeks to go through the manual, and I still refer to it. Regarding the wireless charging, it works well in our GLE 350, except it’s slow. So I don’t really rely on it much. I also don’t care all that much for Apple Play, even though I have a wireless dongle which works very well. Over the year that we’ve had our vehicle, we think the NAV system in MBUX and other capabilities work just fine. Good luck with your new wheels. You’ve come to the right place for help and advice.
The following users liked this post:
Daso (03-23-2021)
Old 03-24-2021 | 06:22 AM

Mercedes Benz GLE
I have a Pixel 3 and wireless charging does almost the same. It charges for a period of time and it stops, then it starts again, stop, and so on. I did not count how long it charges and how long it stops.
Flex360 (11-04-2021)
Old 03-24-2021 | 06:30 AM

2021 GLE 63
Originally Posted by soso
I have a Pixel 3 and wireless charging does almost the same. It charges for a period of time and it stops, then it starts again, stop, and so on. I did not count how long it charges and how long it stops.
I guess I’ll use the cable. Since I just got the GLE and haven’t owned a car in a while, I’m undecided on whether I prefer airplay or the MB navigation. Music and communications are the main things I want.
Flex360 (11-04-2021)
Old 03-24-2021 | 08:22 AM

2020 GLE 450 + 2019 Audi eTron
Originally Posted by soso
i have an iPhone and experience the same thing. I think it may be “ cycling on and off” as intended.
Daso (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021 | 08:29 AM

2021 GLE 63
Originally Posted by jcapotos
i have an iPhone and experience the same thing. I think it may be “ cycling on and off” as intended.
i guess that would be ok. I guess not great to add charge to your phone but maintain. Still a bit odd. I’m going to ask dealer. So far everything else great. Going for first longer highway drive upstate this weekend. Let the legs out a bit 😊🙏
Old 03-24-2021 | 08:56 AM

2023 GLE 450 4matic
This behavior is normal and my dealer actually told me up front not to expect it to act like a normal charger.

Just a suggestion... when making a post with a question about a particular concern, get to it early in the posting. I know you're excited and happy with your new car and that's cool, but having to read through the options list before coming to the subject of the post is a bit tedious and will often get you fewer responses.
makris0000 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021 | 09:53 AM

2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
My 12 Pro Max does this too. So far the only "solution" I have found is to reposition it on the charging mat. I usually carry my phone without a case so I will slide it over a little wherever there is a gap and that seems to fix it for the ride. Not sure if it's a permanent solution or just a temporary one.

With my E300 the charging mat was good and never had this issue. I'm guessing it is because of the angle (E class was flat whereas the GLE is slanted).
Old 03-24-2021 | 12:35 PM

2020 Mercedes GLE 450
I have a Samsung Galaxy S10+ and the wireless charging works without issue.
I think it really depends on the wireless charging coil location on your phone in relative to the coil position on the charging pad. If it line up correctly, it should work without issue. For phone with larger screen, you might not have much option to "align" it. And for phone with smaller screen, it might slide around and lose the coil alignment (and charging)
Also, the coil doesn't have to be perfectly aligned, but the better the alignment is, the "faster" (closer to the max speed) the charging speed is.
Old 03-24-2021 | 12:49 PM

2021 GLE 63
Originally Posted by zengshengliu
I have a Samsung Galaxy S10+ and the wireless charging works without issue.
I think it really depends on the wireless charging coil location on your phone in relative to the coil position on the charging pad. If it line up correctly, it should work without issue. For phone with larger screen, you might not have much option to "align" it. And for phone with smaller screen, it might slide around and lose the coil alignment (and charging)
Also, the coil doesn't have to be perfectly aligned, but the better the alignment is, the "faster" (closer to the max speed) the charging speed is.
That makes sense since my bedside charger does the same thing if I don't make sure its alligned. As it is, the Iphone 12+ Pro is a little tight fit in the GLE charging space. Thanks for all the input.
Old 04-14-2021 | 03:17 AM

MB GLA 4Maticc
I Just got my GLA 250 delivered last week and I experience the exact same problem when trying to use wireless charging with my iPhone 12 Pro. It starts but stops after a few seconds. Does anyone know if there is a solution to this situation?
Old 04-19-2021 | 09:56 PM

2021 GLE - Mojave Silver, 2020 GLB Grey
I have this same issue in my gle 350 but the loaner I had today (also 2021 gle) I didn’t have one issue with. It literally stayed charging for 20 minutes each way of my trip.

Any dealer who tells you that is normal behavior is likely full of crap.

I will have mine fixed under warranty.

Old 04-19-2021 | 10:12 PM

2021 GLE 63
Originally Posted by micgolfgod
I have this same issue in my gle 350 but the loaner I had today (also 2021 gle) I didn’t have one issue with. It literally stayed charging for 20 minutes each way of my trip.

Any dealer who tells you that is normal behavior is likely full of crap.

I will have mine fixed under warranty.
So is this a warranty issue? Mine still only charges for a couple of secs then stops, then I receive and error on my MBUX screen asking me to remove phone from charging pad.
Old 04-19-2021 | 10:31 PM

Mine has the same behavior as yours. Unless they can show me documentation that it’s supposed to work that way (that’s not how wireless charging works) I will ask the dealer fix it under warranty as it has been proven that it can, and does work properly.

They have always taken care of me.

So is this a warranty issue? Mine still only charges for a couple of secs then stops, then I receive and error on my MBUX screen asking me to remove phone from charging pad.
Old 04-21-2021 | 09:14 AM

GLE 300d
I got my 2021 GLE 300d yesterday and what I found was that removing the rubber mat that is over the charging area solves the charging problem. I have an iPhone 11 with a protective case. It appears the charging coil is not powerful enough to bridge the gap created by the thickness of the rubber mat + phone case. The best was to make it work( on this side of the world where right hand drive rules) is to Place the phone vertically in to the charging bay making sure the charging end of the phone is flush with the right hand side of the charging bay then collapse the phone so that it’s flush with the charging surface. You might have to edge the phone to the left if you are driving on the left... hope this helps!
Old 04-21-2021 | 09:48 AM

I spoke to the dealership yesterday, and they acknowledged it is indeed a problem on some models and not on others depending on build dates they are experiencing the same thing. There is a chance the bug is software related and has been addressed in a newer software version than I have (mine is apilevel/ntg6/080). The SA is going to check the version of the working model, and if we are behind they will update my GLE to see if that takes care of the problem. The reason we think it is software related is the working GLE is same year (2021) but different build dates AND the loaner GLE had different Themes available for the drivers side screens. Specifically when you put the navigation in the center between speedo and right gage on left panel, on mine there are two options in the scroll menu: 1. Show next turn from current directions or prompt for destination if no nav is currently underway. 2. Show map between gages with current position.

The loaner GLE had a 3rd option which is show nav across all three panels on driver side of the screen with speed above the map, so the left circle, middle area, and right circle all show map across the three areas.

Interesting what you find when you are looking :-). I will keep you all posted.
Old 04-21-2021 | 04:42 PM

2021 GLE 63
I spoke to the dealership yesterday, and they acknowledged it is indeed a problem on some models and not on others depending on build dates they are experiencing the same thing. There is a chance the bug is software related and has been addressed in a newer software version than I have (mine is apilevel/ntg6/080). The SA is going to check the version of the working model, and if we are behind they will update my GLE to see if that takes care of the problem. The reason we think it is software related is the working GLE is same year (2021) but different build dates AND the loaner GLE had different Themes available for the drivers side screens. Specifically when you put the navigation in the center between speedo and right gage on left panel, on mine there are two options in the scroll menu: 1. Show next turn from current directions or prompt for destination if no nav is currently underway. 2. Show map between gages with current position.

The loaner GLE had a 3rd option which is show nav across all three panels on driver side of the screen with speed above the map, so the left circle, middle area, and right circle all show map across the three areas.

Interesting what you find when you are looking :-). I will keep you all posted.
My GLE has the option of the NAV across all three panels (Doesn't everyone?) but still has the charging issue
Old 04-21-2021 | 06:06 PM

What if your version of MBUX software?

And no I wish I had that!!

My GLE has the option of the NAV across all three panels (Doesn't everyone?) but still has the charging issue
Old 04-21-2021 | 06:51 PM

2021 GLE 63
What if your version of MBUX software?

And no I wish I had that!!
mom not sure but I’m using car tomorrow and will check on that as well as Amazon Music and post
Old 04-24-2021 | 11:38 PM

gle 450
Charging issue

My GLE 450 has the exact same issue with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I have tried moving it on the charging pad and it will say it is charging for about 15 seconds and then give me a message it can’t charge
Old 04-24-2021 | 11:42 PM

2021 GLE 63
Originally Posted by Jeff Kauffman
My GLE 450 has the exact same issue with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I have tried moving it on the charging pad and it will say it is charging for about 15 seconds and then give me a message it can’t charge
I gave up for now. Will ask my dealer next week if there is anything that can be done.. The charging is also kind of useless if you want to use CarPlay (I’m not since I like overall MBUX experience so far).
Old 04-25-2021 | 12:09 AM

gle 450
Charging issue

I gave up for now. Will ask my dealer next week if there is anything that can be done.. The charging is also kind of useless if you want to use CarPlay (I’m not since I like overall MBUX experience so far).
I am taking in my GLS 350 for a recall issue next week and plan on asking about this issue with my GLE and will let you know what they tell me. I got my vehicle the first week of March it was built sometime mid February so I assume the software is fairly up-to-date
Old 04-25-2021 | 04:53 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
I have the three screen option and an iPhone 11 Pro Max and as far as I can tell, I don't have the charging issue.
Old 04-30-2021 | 11:45 AM

2021 GLE 350
Has anyone managed to figure this out. I picked up a new 2021 GLE 350 last Friday and having the same issue. Says that it’s charging and then about 15 seconds later pops up a new message about not being able to charge. In the grand scheme of things I guess it’s not a huge deal but if you are going to say you support wireless charging then it should work.
Old 04-30-2021 | 02:50 PM

GLE 400d
GLE 400d

I received my GLE 400d last week and same issue with iphone 12 Pro!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Iphone 12+ intermittent charging issue