GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Looks like it’s my turn

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 07:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
'21 gle 53
Got the call that they had a loaner put aside for me this am so I brought it in. Of course is started and ran fine, no error codes or anything.
I will add before I got the check battery message I have had the hatch open by itself and couldn't use the key fob to open or close it. And of course today the key fob worked fine too 🤦
Old 08-07-2021, 10:41 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
ML 350
Any idea of nqtional sales volume for GLE 450? The amount of 48V failures is notable... but is it actually chronic or a finite sample? Seems like several hundred not 1000's/ most vehicles.

My wife is all in on our order - August build... otw I would wait and see.

The following users liked this post:
Imanone (08-08-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 10:50 PM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Macan X5
Originally Posted by jaketuff
Any idea of nqtional sales volume for GLE 450? The amount of 48V failures is notable... but is it actually chronic or a finite sample? Seems like several hundred not 1000's/ most vehicles.

Good question. It is a numbers game. It would be nice know actual numbers!! Like they say there are lies, damn lies and statistics! I am on the schedule for an AMG 53 for Nov delivery.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
GLE450 AMG Sport, Night Pack, Vision Pack, 7 seat
@jaketuff great example of critical thinking.

I did the same when evaluating my purchase. Build 31/3/21
I am in Australia and the month of may had figures of 350 GLE sales.
https://performancedrive.com.au/aust...1-vfacts-0403/

Taking these numbers into account, for the Australian market, I evaluated approx 4000 vehicles for a 12 month period.
I am sure the US is 10x that volume (guessing based on population size)

In my case I evaluated all available numbers of failures I could find globally including the ones on this board and it painted a picture for me that it was a worthwhile investment.

Since owning the car I have only had one major gripe (which was the burmester sound system) that is better since the firmware update.
Apart from that I am really thrilled with my car.
Best car I have ever owned.

I might have spoken too soon or I might just be one of the lucky ones

Old 08-08-2021, 08:38 AM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
2022 GLE 450, 2024 Volvo XC 60
Originally Posted by jaketuff

Good morning. I ordered a 450 about three weeks ago and it's scheduled for late Sept-early Oct delivery. Among options I ordered were DAP and AR. I was told that the AR is almost 100% not going to happen. The original build sheet showed "delayed" which is probably due to chip shortage. What is surprising to me is that many recent deliveries of 2021 450s are coming through with AR. While this deletion will not cause me to cancel my order, the deletion of the DAP will. Can you tell me what significant options you all ordered and what was deleted?
Old 08-09-2021, 04:02 PM

Macan X5
Originally Posted by nextmilenium
Hmm... if it's really the software that's causing these failures, wouldn't MB proactively push out (or do a recall) BEFORE these batteries actually fail and they end up replacing it? Seems like that would be cheaper and better way to handle this.
MB seems to not be the only manufacturer with software and other technical issues. Here is a thread on Porsche Rennlist on the Cayenne Hybrid and non-hybrid.
​​​​​​
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...1-cayenne.html

Misery loves company. I have an AMG 53 or order and was considering an alternative. Porsche seemed like a logical one, although a bit more costly. But having read the issues with the Cayenne I would buy, it would seem that it would be just more of the same. Question - where is the quality control on all of these complex and expensive vehicles? Where is the pre-launch testing? Why are manufacturers so lame in general? This just leaves the buyer in a never ending loop of arguments with dealer and corporate office. A waste of time that no one is reimbursed for in the least and are supposed to accept as an "expected" part of the deal. All we really want is a reliable mode of transportation. Not asking for the car to fly, just be safe and dependable for goodness sake!
Imanone (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 04:14 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by Futbol
All we really want is a reliable mode of transportation. Not asking for the car to fly, just be safe and dependable for goodness sake!
I might to have to go back to a Lexus again. Bite my tongue.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:16 PM

Macan X5
Smile

Originally Posted by jtjbt20x
I might to have to go back to a Lexus again. Bite my tongue.
Actually I am thinking of the same. I hate the outside look of the SUV but they are reliable. But if you are inside you can't see the outside!! Smile I had 3 sedans in the past and NEVER an issue.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:38 PM

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts
2021 E450 All Terrain Wagon
MB seems to not be the only manufacturer with software and other technical issues. Here is a thread on Porsche Rennlist on the Cayenne Hybrid and non-hybrid.
​​​​​​

Misery loves company. I have an AMG 53 or order and was considering an alternative. Porsche seemed like a logical one, although a bit more costly. But having read the issues with the Cayenne I would buy, it would seem that it would be just more of the same. Question - where is the quality control on all of these complex and expensive vehicles? Where is the pre-launch testing? Why are manufacturers so lame in general? This just leaves the buyer in a never ending loop of arguments with dealer and corporate office. A waste of time that no one is reimbursed for in the least and are supposed to accept as an "expected" part of the deal. All we really want is a reliable mode of transportation. Not asking for the car to fly, just be safe and dependable for goodness sake!
I owned three Audi's in a row and became frustrated when the driver's assistance tech failed on my last one, an A4 Allroad. I considered moving to the Porsche Macan but was concerned that the two cars shared some of the same technology, so I moved on to the MB E450 wagon, where I now worry about the reliability of the EQ Boost system. I think as more and more automakers move toward electrical power and compete with each other for the most sophisticated tech packages, we're going to see more and more of these "glitches". At times I yearn for my good old 1974 Porsche 914 with the VW engine where my biggest problem was a slipping clutch. Still, I do love all this new tech . . . when it works.
The following 2 users liked this post by Longroof45:
Imanone (08-09-2021), nextmilenium (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 04:51 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Actually I am thinking of the same. I hate the outside look of the SUV but they are reliable. But if you are inside you can't see the outside!! Smile I had 3 sedans in the past and NEVER an issue.
I had a GX for 13 years and I only needed to replace brake pads once, and a couple leaking struts and that was it.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:42 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 450
We have an RX and a GX and wouldn't consider getting rid of our GLE 450 in favor of any Lexus SUV. Part of the reason they are so reliable it that their technology is ancient.
The following 2 users liked this post by MarkerVB:
Imanone (08-09-2021), nextmilenium (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 05:53 PM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
2022 GLE 450, 2024 Volvo XC 60
Originally Posted by MarkerVB
We have an RX and a GX and wouldn't consider getting rid of our GLE 450 in favor of any Lexus SUV. Part of the reason they are so reliable it that their technology is ancient.
I had the best car for 30 years. A brand spanking new full size 4 dr or SUV company car every two years. Maybe not stylish (Impala, Taurus, Explorer, Bonneville) or the most technically advanced, but free is good! Now that I have ordered my first new car, GLE 450, all I seem to read is 48v issues and stereo issues. Full speed ahead! I’m taking my chances!
The following 2 users liked this post by Imanone:
Dave Stough (08-10-2021), Longroof45 (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 05:54 PM

2021 GLE450W4 SUV
Originally Posted by MarkerVB
True. Some people value reliability more than tech though. I want both however and MB has dropped the ball on this one.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,206 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
​​​​​​

Wouldn't it be nice if an auto company would do better than a High Tech Software company?
Well, yes, but name a software company that gets it right the fifth, tenth, or twentieth time?
How many bugs has G-mail had to fix THIS MONTH? How about that Windows 10 launch, and the (horrors) WIN11? Or Quicken or Intuit? ..... just to name a few.

Then there's Moore's law, about how much technology advances (double every 2 years for half the price)(I know it's transistor density, but...), however, the user interface continues to deteriorate.

If the Big Whiz Computer Companies can't do it, why would we expect a mere car company to master all these interfaces. I don't know the answer, but there's no going back.
TempeAndy (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,032 Likes on 700 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
Let’s put this in perspective…there wasn’t a 48 volt problem for almost 2 years. Something changed in the 4th Q 2020…likely something with the Supply Chain component quality, IMO.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ron.s:
Imanone (08-09-2021), Longroof45 (08-09-2021), mikapen (08-09-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 06:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
'21 gle 53
Got my car back, they did a software update and that fixed it. Hopefully it stays fixed lol.
GeNomeZ (08-12-2021)