EQ Boost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,030 Likes on 698 Posts
2024 GMC Canyon Denali..... 2018 Audi SQ5
EQ Boost

Before the V167 kicked off in early 2019 (US) there were Professional Reviews and Videos of how the EQ Boost functioned. Most seem lost now. Here’s a short Video Review for the GLE 53 with the additional Compressor to add Boost. AFAIK, the rest of the discussion is relevant to other EQ Boost vehicles. The ISG is explained briefly. This might answer some questions for anyone new to the V 167. The GLE 350 does not have EQ boost so it’s a more conventional power train.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ron.s:
GeNomeZ (08-04-2021), mikapen (08-04-2021), Neurobit (08-05-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Before the V167 kicked off in early 2019 (US) there were Professional Reviews and Videos of how the EQ Boost functioned. Most seem lost now. Here’s a short Video Review for the GLE 53 with the additional Compressor to add Boost. AFAIK, the rest of the discussion is relevant to other EQ Boost vehicles. The ISG is explained briefly. This might answer some questions for anyone new to the V 167. The GLE 350 does not have EQ boost so it’s a more conventional power train.

https://youtu.be/pXs34t3hfyQ
Funny, I've been scouting for a couple of videos on the e-Turbo, and I was about to post just that one.

However, this video, as well as others including one posted last night from Sam Haymark's YT channel, show the electrified compressor as being located some distance from the actual turbocharger, like Audi's, see Ron's above video at 3:16. I doubt that this is the configuration on the GLE AMG53.

Before launch and also subsequently, Mercedes has claimed that the electrical part of the e-Turbo is a spinoff of F1 technology, where the motor is axially mounted, between the impellers. See this, at 0:27
and this
I wonder which one it is.

Last edited by mikapen; 08-04-2021 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I’m pretty sure the GLE 53 is not the combo electric/exhaust turbo (Axially Mounted) like the F1. Had that conversation about the Compressor being a separate unit with my Mercedes Tech guy but that was before the 53’s actually built. There was a member claiming that his 450 had the Compressor so I had them run my VIN.
The new AMG E Performance will intro the new turbo according to videos like your second one that describes the E Performance.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Your Tech guy probably had attended the new model intro training, so that would be a good source.

If true, then the very close catalytic converter with fast heatup, isn't a feature either, or the associated things that go with it. The first video I posted (grey one) was probably the first one I saw, a few years ago.

I feel deceived. That F1 Tech was a reason I followed that engine, and bought the 53. I'll have to pull the engine cover and look at the actual engine. Inter-cooler placement should be an easy key. (If anything is visible.)

Last edited by mikapen; 08-04-2021 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mikapen
Your Tech guy probably had attended the new model intro training, so that would be a good source.

If true, then the very close catalytic converter with fast heatup, isn't a feature either, or the associated things that go with it. The first video I posted (grey one) was probably the first one I saw, a few years ago.

I feel deceived. That F1 Tech was a reason I followed that engine, and bought the 53. I'll have to pull the engine cover and look at the actual engine. Inter-cooler placement should be an easy key. (If anything is visible.)
Somewhere in the past there was a discussion by an MB engineer about an advantage of the F1 type being on the same “shaft” (not their terminology) as the exhaust turbo. It gave them a more accurate measurement of when & how much electric boost was needed (my terminology). My guess is that the 53 compressor was an interim step allowing them to keep the packaging the same as the 450 while increasing the Turbo size on the 53 and still smooth Turbo Lag when the engine R’s drop. EQ Boost helps solve the issue at launch but not on/off throttle. It seems to work OK watching the Boost gauge but obviously the F1 Turbo would be even better.
I’ve noticed with our Audi and others, that they get can stuck with a big Turbo Lag at times when you are coasting in a higher gear and step on the throttle. The vehicle shifts down but the engine R’s have dropped so it takes a second or two for the Turbo to spool back up. The 53 is much better but there is still a hesitation at times.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:16 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts
2021 GLE450W4 SUV
I’ve noticed with our Audi and others, that they get can stuck with a big Turbo Lag at times when you are coasting in a higher gear and step on the throttle. The vehicle shifts down but the engine R’s have dropped so it takes a second or two for the Turbo to spool back up. The 53 is much better but there is still a hesitation at times.
In the FWIW department, in my 2018 Q7 with the supercharger, when I stepped on it, there was a slight lag believe it or not, In my GLE450 SUV I get immediate launch.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jtjbt20x
In the FWIW department, in my 2018 Q7 with the supercharger, when I stepped on it, there was a slight lag believe it or not, In my GLE450 SUV I get immediate launch.
Sometimes it seems like some TCU’s take a short nap trying figure out the gear. The GLE’s don’t automatically head for 9th gear like some cars so that helps responsiveness, IMO. I might be splitting hairs a little but my 450 had an occasional lag that is almost gone on the 53. It seems to happen at lower speed when I need full throttle to make a quick lane change or turning a corner to get up to the speed of oncoming traffic.
I think that’s why the Mercedes F1 cars work so good. Heading into a corner off throttle the Electric side of the Turbo can maintain boost even while the exhaust pressure drops so that throttle response is instantaneous coming out of the corner.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I stand corrected about my earlier statement on lag. I haven’t been out of town for a few months so made a point today to hit some Highway to try and replicate the slight lag I experienced earlier in the year. Maybe it’s more break in miles or a software update (never has shown an update) but there is zero lag even after coasting and then full throttle. The EQ Boost and Electric Compressor show full power immediately. I had my gauges set on the AMG display that has a line graph for; Elect. Boost; EQ Boost & EQ HP. I did get a minor hesitation when it shifted down 3 gears once.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

........Maybe it’s more break in miles or a software update (never has shown an update) but there is zero lag even after coasting and then full throttle. The EQ Boost and Electric Compressor show full power immediately. I had my gauges set on the AMG display that has a line graph for; Elect. Boost; EQ Boost & EQ HP. I did get a minor hesitation when it shifted down 3 gears once.
What's fun and informative, is to have that display in the cluster, and show the instantaneous fuel economy next to it.
And that's the function of the turbo, to burn more fuel, to generate more power. VERY quick response.