GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Automatic Trunk + Head = Pain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 12:06 AM

Received 129 Likes on 69 Posts
2021 GLE 63
Automatic Trunk + Head = Pain

Ok, so let me start with I just had service A with 6,500 miles and have had nothing but fun with my 2021 GLE 450. I've enjoyed it so much I'm thinking of putting in an order for a GLE 63. But of course every car has some sore points. The whistling window was resolved, the navigation screen which starts authorizing once in a while while driving and makes the NAV unavailable is annoying and I do need to have MB deal with it, but the one that got me literally was the trunk. Day before yesterday, I was shopping and while loading the trunk I heard a beeping and wondered what it was, by the time I looked up to see where it was coming from damn trunk was closing (making the beeping) and hit me on the side of my forehead before it stopped. then when I put my hand to push it bqack up, it kept trying to close. That was definitely dangerous and painful. Anyone else have the trunk randomly close on them? Should I take it to MB? It hit hard enough to still hurt a few days later.
Old 03-21-2022, 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 139 Posts
'13 GLK350 4matic,'09 C300 4matic,'15 GLA250,'07 Honda Odyssey, '18 GLE 43
That is not nornal. The trunk needs to be recalibrated. Take it back as you might get into a situation that is softer than your head.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:56 AM

Received 150 Likes on 90 Posts
2021 GLE , 2022 GLC , 2022 GLC
Was the button on the key fob accidentally pushed, it could have occurred if something in your pocket was pressing against it if perhaps you bent down to load the trunk? Just a thought
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 09:28 AM

2021 GLE 63
Originally Posted by Bryce1023
Was the button on the key fob accidentally pushed, it could have occurred if something in your pocket was pressing against it if perhaps you bent down to load the trunk? Just a thought
yes, it definitely was in my pocket and that could have happened but it has started closing on its own a few times in the past but while I wasn’t in its path and I dismissed it as the same. Not sure. Not really sure if MB diagnostics will tell much
Old 03-21-2022, 11:48 AM

Received 202 Likes on 162 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic......... 2021 GLE 450
Any chance your leg or foot was under the vehicle enough to trigger the kick to open option? I've walked behind a previous vehicle and just by walking by, it opened.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:15 PM

Received 193 Likes on 133 Posts
2024 GLE 53 AMG Coupe
At least your trunk doesn't do this.

That is the only thing I could think of while going through this thread.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,711 Likes on 2,476 Posts
2019 C63CS
This has happened to a few others primarily with the E wagon. The issue is the sensor in the bumper. One can inadvertently trigger the trunk closing with their feet while loading and shuffling their feet around. The sensor thinks you did the kick motion. It's documented in the owners manual and the recommendation is to not have the fob on your person while loading the trunk, or to disable keyless go by pressing the lock button twice on the fob. Seems to be a particular issue with vehicles that have lift gates as one probably stands with their feet below the bumper when loading, so alternatively make sure your feet stay behind the bumper and not under the bumper.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-23-2022 at 12:58 PM.
wamochi (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 03:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
Originally Posted by superswiss
This has happened to a few others primarily with the E wagon. The issue is the sensor in the bumper. One can inadvertently trigger the trunk closing with their feet while loading and shuffling their feet around. The sensor thinks you did the kick motion. It's documented in the owners manual and the recommendation is to not have the fob on your person while loading the trunk, or to disable keyless go by pressing the lock button twice on the fob. Seems to be a particular issue with vehicles that have lift gates as one probably stands with their feet below the bumper when loading, so alternatively make sure your feet stay behind the bumper and not under the bumper.

yes i think this is the culprit. i have had the same thing happen to me on our audi etron when unloading things and my feet are under the sensor and that triggers the closing. i have learned to immediately get out of the way if i hear the beeping! it is annoying but thankfully pretty infrequent. just depends on how you unload/load your trunk. i tend to stand a little further back now when loading/unloading.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:04 PM

2021 GLE 63
Thanks, that does make sense now. That really clunked me 😜
Old 03-24-2022, 02:27 PM

Received 325 Likes on 170 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4matic
Now if you actually wanted to activate the hatch with your foot, it's required you bash your shin at least three times on the trailer hitch.
The following 5 users liked this post by Lucky 777:
BlueYonder (09-12-2023), brad_saggy (06-23-2022), MarkerVB (03-24-2022), mikapen (03-25-2022), TexAg91 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 10:10 PM

2021 GLE 63
Originally Posted by Lucky 777
Now if you actually wanted to activate the hatch with your foot, it's required you bash your shin at least three times on the trailer hitch.
😂😂😂. Very True.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,548 Likes on 1,137 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Yeah, I have never been able to figure out the usefulness of this feature.

Picture this: I have a heavy load that takes two hands to carry, so I can't use one of those hands to open the tailgate.
So, since I have this thing in my hands, I have to turn sideways to get close to the car.
Since I'm turned sideways, it's virtually impossible to "kick" in the exact place.
So I have to set that thing down in order to turn and face the back of the car so I can use the proper technique.
However after setting the load down, I could just reach the latch with my hand, pick up the load and put it in.

That way I would save my shins, time, and frustration.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:47 PM

Received 202 Likes on 162 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic......... 2021 GLE 450
Originally Posted by mikapen

Picture this: I have a heavy load that takes two hands to carry, so I can't use one of those hands to open the tailgate.
So, since I have this thing in my hands, I have to turn sideways to get close to the car.
Since I'm turned sideways, it's virtually impossible to "kick" in the exact place.
So I have to set that thing down in order to turn and face the back of the car so I can use the proper technique.
However after setting the load down, I could just reach the latch with my hand, pick up the load and put it in.

Knock on wood but I have yet to smash my shin in trying to open the tailgate. I think I've had 100% success in kicking it open. I do have the tow package and all that is necessary is a quick kick on the left side of the receiver and it opens.
Old 03-25-2022, 02:50 PM

Received 325 Likes on 170 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4matic
Originally Posted by mikapen

You're forgetting that nothing works unless you play pocket pool with the key fob first.
And yes, I have with both hands full, done an impromptu version of the Hokey Pokey in the parking lot at Sam's Club attempting to wake up the key fob and open the hatch.

Last edited by Lucky 777; 03-25-2022 at 02:51 PM. Reason: .
mikapen (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,022 Likes on 694 Posts
2024 Mercedes GLE 63 S..... 2018 Audi SQ5
You're forgetting that nothing works unless you play pocket pool with the key fob first.
And yes, I have with both hands full, done an impromptu version of the Hokey Pokey in the parking lot at Sam's Club attempting to wake up the key fob and open the hatch.
My 2020 GLE had fobs like that…after complaining about it my Dealer replaced them with the new ones that worked as they should. My 2021 Fobs also work great. It may be that some Dealers or even Mercedes has stopped replacing them. I made 3 videos of them going to sleep and not working until shaking them. There’s an old thread I started in 2019 “Key fob fable”.
My hatch seems to work with the kick to open if I bend my knee a little and kick back about a foot. I also had it open accidentally after a wash job when I wiped to dry under the rear bumper. I thought maybe the water enhanced the function because I couldn’t get it to do it later after numerous attempt’s.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by Daso
Ok, so let me start with I just had service A with 6,500 miles and have had nothing but fun with my 2021 GLE 450. I've enjoyed it so much I'm thinking of putting in an order for a GLE 63. But of course every car has some sore points. The whistling window was resolved, the navigation screen which starts authorizing once in a while while driving and makes the NAV unavailable is annoying and I do need to have MB deal with it, but the one that got me literally was the trunk. Day before yesterday, I was shopping and while loading the trunk I heard a beeping and wondered what it was, by the time I looked up to see where it was coming from damn trunk was closing (making the beeping) and hit me on the side of my forehead before it stopped. then when I put my hand to push it bqack up, it kept trying to close. That was definitely dangerous and painful. Anyone else have the trunk randomly close on them? Should I take it to MB? It hit hard enough to still hurt a few days later.
yeah the same thing happened to me today, loading fro eries, it’s happened before, not often, but I got quite a bump on the head. Would love to disable the feature but it doesn’t look like you can!
Old 09-12-2023, 06:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E63 (2021)
Hi, hopefully this will help: I finally got Mercedes in Czech republic to disable the kick-to-open / close function of the trunk. I asked them to review this before, but first, last year, they tried to upload new software, but that did not help. This year, i told them i need it disabled even if it meant KESSY not working any longer, since with small kids running around car, the trunk closing/opening gets activated quite often. Plus things like putting ski boots on when sitting in trunk were impossible.

So, they finally did it last week. The guy could not / would not tell me whether this is software or hardware change (i.e., physically unplugging anything) but they did disable it. No other function has been compromised, i.e. all works as before. Happy about it now.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Don’t complain. On several occasions I’ve found my cargo door open on return to the vehicle…Porsche Cayenne. Porsche has a setting to disable the kick function but it still self opens. Also it might unlock the vehicle on occasion.
I’m guessing it’s related to the vehicles function to auto lock the car in about a minute if you unlock using the key Fob(and haven’t opened a door). Zero chance the Key Fob is accidentally triggered. Does anyone else miss the days when the car actually shut down when you turned off the ignition?
mikapen (09-12-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 04:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,935 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Don’t complain. On several occasions I’ve found my cargo door open on return to the vehicle…Porsche Cayenne. Porsche has a setting to disable the kick function but it still self opens. Also it might unlock the vehicle on occasion.
I’m guessing it’s related to the vehicles function to auto lock the car in about a minute if you unlock using the key Fob(and haven’t opened a door). Zero chance the Key Fob is accidentally triggered. Does anyone else miss the days when the car actually shut down when you turned off the ignition?
Hmmm, was that setting intended for a different type of behaviour than the description suggested, maybe that is why? Otherwise why in the world would Porsche design it to still function after the user specifically disabled it?
Old 09-13-2023, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hmmm, was that setting intended for a different type of behaviour than the description suggested, maybe that is why? Otherwise why in the world would Porsche design it to still function after the user specifically disabled it?
The setting only disables the kick to open function. All other functions work such as using the Key Fob or the physical open/lock button. Porsche obviously didn’t design the cargo door to malfunction…not sure where you got that from. If the cause of the random opening or unlocking were known, it would probably be fixed by now. It also randomly locks for no apparent reason but that doesn’t leave the contents available for theft. My “theory” is that a the latent function to lock-if you unlock using the Fob and don’t open a door-is messed up and the culprit because nothing else makes sense to me. After you turn off the vehicle and dismiss accidentally triggering the Fob, there is no logical reason any locking/hatch functions can activate.
Old 09-14-2023, 10:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,935 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by Ron.s
The setting only disables the kick to open function. All other functions work such as using the Key Fob or the physical open/lock button. Porsche obviously didn’t design the cargo door to malfunction…not sure where you got that from. If the cause of the random opening or unlocking were known, it would probably be fixed by now. It also randomly locks for no apparent reason but that doesn’t leave the contents available for theft. My “theory” is that a the latent function to lock-if you unlock using the Fob and don’t open a door-is messed up and the culprit because nothing else makes sense to me. After you turn off the vehicle and dismiss accidentally triggering the Fob, there is no logical reason any locking/hatch functions can activate.
no no, I did not say to design it to malfunction, I mean as in if the feature was designed in a way that we thought it would function in a way but actually with a different intended purpose. That type of thing.