GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Weird Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 03:15 PM

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 GLE450
Weird Experience

Yesterday, our GLE refused to start. My wife kept pushing on the start button but nothing. The dash was all lit up as usual with no error messages. At first, I got worried because I thought it was the dreaded 48V battery issue. But I could see no such error messages on the dash. So after few seconds, my wife says "hey maybe I have to put on the seatbelt?" I knew putting on the seatbelt has nothing to do with starting the car but I said ok let's try that.

Voila, next time she pushed the start button, the car started like normal.

Has anyone else experience something like this?!
Old 01-19-2023, 03:52 PM

Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
It's definitely not the seatbelt. I usually don't clip mine until after I back out of the garage. Is the battery on your key fob good? There could be recognition issues of the battery is low.
The following users liked this post:
nextmilenium (01-20-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 04:02 PM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by MBguy013
It's definitely not the seatbelt. I usually don't clip mine until after I back out of the garage. Is the battery on your key fob good? There could be recognition issues of the battery is low.
I think the keyfob battery is fine as I had no issue opening the door?
Old 01-19-2023, 04:19 PM

Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
2021 GLC 300 4Matic
Was the brake depressed sufficiently? I haven't had any issues with my GLE but have had a couple of occasions where my wife's GLC didn't start when I pressed the button. Never more than one press and ensuring the pedal was depressed enough and it started right up.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,549 Likes on 2,167 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by nextmilenium
Yesterday, our GLE refused to start. My wife kept pushing on the start button but nothing. The dash was all lit up as usual with no error messages. At first, I got worried because I thought it was the dreaded 48V battery issue. But I could see no such error messages on the dash. So after few seconds, my wife says "hey maybe I have to put on the seatbelt?" I knew putting on the seatbelt has nothing to do with starting the car but I said ok let's try that.

Sounds (sort of?) similar:
https://mbworld.org/forums/gls-class...ent-sleep.html
nextmilenium (01-19-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 06:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

https://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class...ont-start.html, just to add to that, what is with various MB SUVs having start up issues lately, could it be a bad OTA software? I remember reading that multiple models got a control (communication?) module update lately (I think this is just a coincidence because this update likely only apply to mbux 2.0 which the GLE doesn't have)
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ta-update.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ate-today.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/85678...ml#post8701131
Old 01-19-2023, 07:46 PM

2021 GLE450
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Yes, it does sound very similar to what happened to us. Only difference being our car was in the garage and it hadn't been driven for few days.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:22 PM

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts
SUV
Are you sure your wife was not pulling your leg?
Old 01-20-2023, 11:12 AM

Received 342 Likes on 182 Posts
2023 GLE 450 4matic
I once had a similar occurrence, believe I hadn't sufficiently depressed the brake before hitting the start button.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 661 Likes on 490 Posts
MB
I think the keyfob battery is fine as I had no issue opening the door?
Maybe the motion sensor in the keyfob didn't detect motion. It has a motion sensor to turn the key signal off to prevent those thieves from using signal hoppers to steal your car.

This guy talks about it:

Last edited by wildta; 01-20-2023 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Mercedes 2022 GLE 350
Yesterday, our GLE refused to start. My wife kept pushing on the start button but nothing. The dash was all lit up as usual with no error messages. At first, I got worried because I thought it was the dreaded 48V battery issue. But I could see no such error messages on the dash. So after few seconds, my wife says "hey maybe I have to put on the seatbelt?" I knew putting on the seatbelt has nothing to do with starting the car but I said ok let's try that.  Voila, next time she pushed the start button, the car started like normal. Has anyone else experience something like this?! 
I have had it happen a couple times. I ended up opening and closing the door before it would start.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:48 PM

Received 200 Likes on 127 Posts
2021 AMG GLE53 | 2013 SLK350 Sport

Happened to me 1 week ago, early morning when it was cold (42 degree). Remote started the car from inside the house and after 5 minutes, when I came to the car, to my surprise, it had not started. Unlocked it, went to start and nothing but lights on the cluster. Tried again and nothing. Got out of the car, locked it, unlocked it and started all over again. Nothing.

Ended up taking the other car and assumed the dreaded 48-volt issue was happening to me. After about 1 hour, I did a remote start and to my surprise, got the notification that the car had started. When I came home later that morning the car started normally and that was the end of that.

Totally clueless as to what may have happened other than perhaps it was a cold morning......

Last edited by djgiovanni; 01-24-2023 at 04:10 PM.
nextmilenium (01-24-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 09:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by djgiovanni
Happened to me 1 week ago, early morning when it was cold (42 degree). Remote started the car from inside the house and after 5 minutes, when I came to the car, to my surprise, it had not started. Unlocked it, went to start and nothing but lights on the cluster. Tried again and nothing. Got out of the car, locked it, unlocked it and started all over again. Nothing.

Ended up taking the other car and assuming the dreaded 48-volt issue was happening to me. After about 1 hour, I did a remote start and to my surprise, got the notification the car had started. When I came home later in the morning the car would start normally and that was the last time that happened.

Totally clueless as to what may have happened other than perhaps it was a cold morning......
Hmmm, I mean, battery (both the 12V and 48V) doesn't like the cold so I guess it was throwing a tantrum and not letting your vehicle start, it might just be a one off since your battery is still new after all.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hmmm, I mean, battery (both the 12V and 48V) doesn't like the cold so I guess it was throwing a tantrum and not letting your vehicle start, it might just be a one off since your battery is still new after all.
I figured the same. Car has 6k miles so teething issues are to be expected. If it does happen again, however, I'll take it to the dealer.
Old 01-24-2023, 06:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

I figured the same. Car has 6k miles so teething issues are to be expected. If it does happen again, however, I'll take it to the dealer.
Yup hopefully doesn't happen again.
Old 01-24-2023, 08:36 PM

2021 GLE450
Only thing is, the dealer will most likely say "we couldn't replicate the issue so nothing is wrong". LOL
Old 01-26-2023, 08:09 AM

Only thing is, the dealer will most likely say "we couldn't replicate the issue so nothing is wrong". LOL
You know it.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

​​​​​​​
You know it.
That is the sad truth.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by nextmilenium;[url=tel:8706025
8706025]Yes, it does sound very similar to what happened to us. Only difference being our car was in the garage and it hadn't been driven for few days.
This rules out my suggestions of it being wet.
Good luck.
But wait, did someone say batteries don’t do well in the cold? This does not look good for the future.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,182 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
​​​​​​There is no reason for the Dealer to avoid doing warranty or diagnostic work.
​​​​​​I posted this in another thread, but it's important.

At Mercedes, Dealers are reimbursed at or near retail shop rates. Meaning they make the same money on a warranty claim as a Retail pay.
Many manufacturers pay a reduced rate for warranty, meaning they prefer Retail over Warranty work.

It also means that the Customer needs to make a good effort to be demonstrate the issue.
If they can't replicate, they will have no idea if they actually fixed anything.

Videos and pics are useful. I always email my "evidence" so the Tech has access. A ride-along might be appropriate.

The OP will have to gather evidence for this problem.
nextmilenium (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
This rules out my suggestions of it being wet.
Good luck.
But wait, did someone say batteries don’t do well in the cold? This does not look good for the future.
"Someone said" leads some folks down the path of "every Mercedes has it" and the misinformation begins.

​​​​​​All chemical batteries lose performance in cold temps. Car batteries are chemical things, but above -40 they should start your car.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Here comes a long soapbox rant. Sorry OP but I’m going off on a tangent.
The point is that some dealerships do not go the extra mile to even try to fix something. Here are some examples to follow so it’s not “someone said.” Apparently jokes cannot be made here by anyone or other’s opinion are not welcomed. (The battery comment was directed at ALL batteries and more specifically the electric car craze that’s getting shoved down our throats)
I’ve taken my car in before with an issue and when I picked it up the problem was not fixed. I asked did they drive it and see or hear the problem to which their response was, no we didn’t have time but there were no codes. Now I didn’t just show up and demand the car, they called and told me it was ready. Maybe I should start asking if the car is truly ready.
Now another point. I’ve taken my car in to have several things done once and one being to repair a wheel with curb rash. It was one of the things it was scheduled for. When I picked it up they told me the wheel couldn’t be repaired because the wheel guy was only there on specific days and my service day wasn’t one of those day. Would this have been “retail” work that the dealerships like or get paid more for. We have been told that dealerships don’t avoid work so I guess i cannot question why the work did not get done.
Or how about this. This is picture proof. This is my current headlight on my GLE (see below) on a sunny dry day that has been such a wonderful vehicle to some on here. The current service manager at Carlton Mercedes in Greenville SC says this is normal because the headlights are not sealed and condensation will get in. So therefore there was nothing he was going to do about it. EVERY single person I have talked to about it, in the car world and mechanic friends have said that’s not normal. But that’s just hearsay so maybe I should erase it and just let people draw their on conclusion from the photo.
Another point. I never said “Mercedes batteries.” People should stop spreading rumors on here. This is the trusted internet.
I will insert one last thing, when the SUV works, it’s great. But it does come with problems for people and I think I’ve had enough of my share to complain. So just because some have problems while others think the grass is perfectly green, doesn’t justify saying those people are spreading misinformation or that they don’t think the dealership will work to actually fix something.

Last edited by BACnMercedes; 01-26-2023 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The point is that some dealerships do not go the extra mile to even try to fix something. Here are some examples to follow so it’s not “someone said.” Apparently jokes cannot be made here by anyone or other’s opinion are not welcomed. (The battery comment was directed at ALL batteries and more specifically the electric car craze that’s getting shoved down our throats)
I’ve taken my car in before with an issue and when I picked it up the problem was not fixed. I asked did they drive it and see or hear the problem to which their response was, no we didn’t have time but there were no codes. Now I didn’t just show up and demand the car, they called and told me it was ready. Maybe I should start asking if the car is truly ready.
Now another point. I’ve taken my car in to have several things done once and one being to repair a wheel with curb rash. It was one of the things it was scheduled for. When I picked it up they told me the wheel couldn’t be repaired because the wheel guy was only there on specific days and my service day wasn’t one of those day. Would this have been “retail” work that the dealerships like or get paid more for. We have been told that dealerships don’t avoid work so I guess i cannot question why the work did not get done.
Or how about this. This is picture proof. This is my current headlight on my GLE (see below) on a sunny dry day that has been such a wonderful vehicle to some on here. The current service manager at Carlton Mercedes in Greenville SC says this is normal because the headlights are not sealed and condensation will get in. So therefore there was nothing he was going to do about it. EVERY single person I have talked to about it, in the car world and mechanic friends have said that’s not normal. But that’s just hearsay so maybe I should erase it and just let people draw their on conclusion from the photo.
Another point. I never said “Mercedes batteries.” People should stop spreading rumors on here. This is the trusted internet.
I will insert one last thing, when the SUV works, it’s great. But it does come with problems for people and I think I’ve had enough of my share to complain. So just because some have problems while others think the grass is perfectly green, doesn’t justify saying those people are spreading misinformation or that they don’t think the dealership will work to actually fix something.
If you're responding to me, I didn't use those words, and I didn't refer to you at all. Please don't misquote me.

"Some Dealerships" is not indicative of ALL.
Your condensation problem is different and I'd like to see the Repair Order with their response.

If they have a decent relationship with their Regional Manager, yours appears be a slam dunk warranty claim.
Try a different Dealership when you can. I skip my nearest Dealer and it's worth the drive.

I also won't own Audi, Volvo, or Volkswagen because their local Ownership Groups' service reputations are terrible.
I'm not really a Mercedes fan, but Service is at the top of my Buying Criteria for ownership.

Again, I'm not talking about you, so don't take it personally. General statements, for the rest of the forum to read.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:57 PM

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts
2020 Mercedes GLE350 4Matic; 2023 Tesla Model Y

On that being normal. You need to take it to another dealer. As for the dealer service department that told you that, I recommend you do the following. Search the dealer on google, when the dealership window pops up on the right (see the screen shot below) click the blue hyperlink "google reviews", and leave them a bad review. Give them 1 star, and provide a professional write-up of why and what you were told (and by whom if known). Post the picture of the headlight on the review. You'll get a call from the owner or GM within a day or two offering to make it right.

Similarly, if you take it to another dealership and get great service, leave that dealership/service writer/tech a good review. I've found that the owner/GMs of these dealerships really care about these reviews on Google, and a negative review (for a legitimate reason) is the best way to get results -- try it. Anyone will look at that picture and know it's not normal, and it will reflect very bad on that service department.

Last edited by TexAg91; 01-29-2023 at 10:31 AM.
BACnMercedes (02-22-2023)