Sponsored By:

Loud noise coming from the electronic emergency brake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 350 and ML350
Loud noise coming from the electronic emergency brake

When I first heard it I could not figure out where it came from but it is loud and certainly not what you would expect from a $60K vehicle! Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. When you turn the car off, especially inside a garage the sound is very loud. Went to my dealer once who just shrugged and said well we can't stop it from working.......oh really! I may have to get ugly about this with them but I hope not as I like the dealership but this noise certainly is not what Mercedes would have engineered into the GLE350.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
What does it sounds like? I know, at least from my experience, the motor that engages the brake sounds very mechanical and sometimes has a little thump when engaged. Sounds like it would be something heard on an airplane when you're setting your flaps. I've had several Land Rovers with the electronic emergency brake, and it sounded exactly the same as on my Mercedes GL. And would also assume this is a system supplied to Mercedes that's used on dozens of automobile brands. To me the sound is completely normal, so unless your noise is unique from what is out on the market, I would think it's okay.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:31 AM

GLE 350 and ML350
Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
What does it sounds like? I know, at least from my experience, the motor that engages the brake sounds very mechanical and sometimes has a little thump when engaged. Sounds like it would be something heard on an airplane when you're setting your flaps. I've had several Land Rovers with the electronic emergency brake, and it sounded exactly the same as on my Mercedes GL. And would also assume this is a system supplied to Mercedes that's used on dozens of automobile brands. To me the sound is completely normal, so unless your noise is unique from what is out on the market, I would think it's okay.
When I first heard it I thought it sounded like a fan hitting the radiator. Then when I opened the door before turning off the engine I could hear it was coming from the rear of the car. It sounded more like the tail gate locking with a brrrrrrr sound but later traced it to the electronic emergency brake. Quite sure it would not be engineered this way, though it is working as advertised.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:11 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
It sounds like what you're describing is normal (except the fan hitting the radiator, which I would assume would be more alarming/banging and metal-on-metal chaos) - but let me described in more detail exactly what I hear and hopefully this will help.

When you engage it, the electric motor makes an audible high-pitched whining sound which strains/slows as it completes the engagement, usually followed by an audible thump (just like a tailgate closure.) Yes, it's not graceful at all. But I think almost all vehicles with electronic emergency brakes sound this way.

On a side note, even the uber-expensive Range Rover (including the $150K Autobiography), makes this exact same noise when the emergency brake is engaged. And Land Rover products, the up-market versions, are truly the quietest and most refined vehicles on the market - from a ride perspective. They are NOT as well engineered as a Mercedes.

I really think it's a supplier system and it is what it is - but maybe one day it'll become quieter as customer continue to provide feedback to the manufacturers, who'll in-turn encourage the supplier to refine the system.

If your sound is different, then you should compare it to another GLE (new, on the lot), and if the sound is different, your system may need to be looked at.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 05-02-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:47 PM

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4-Matic
My GLE 350 is not loud.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:13 PM

GLE 350 and ML350
Originally Posted by Chefcct
My GLE 350 is not loud.
Thanks good to know. I'll be pressing my dealer on getting this quieted down and will keep everyone advised.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2016, 05:31 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
Originally Posted by Chefcct
My GLE 350 is not loud.
It depends on what one's perception of loud is. It isn't quiet. Nor is it loud IMO. Is it noticeable? Yes. If one is expecting silent, it's not. From inside the car it isn't loud. Open the door and activate it, and you'll surely hear it.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 GLE350 4MATIC
It isn't loud on mine either. As a matter of fact, yesterday I was parked on the street waiting for my wife inside the car. The engine was off and after 5 mins the emergency brakes was automatically engaged on it's own. I didn't hear any noise but I felt the car shake. At first I thought someone bumped me from behind but then I realized it was the emergency brake and saw the light was on the front display. I also notice that the emergency brake automatically engages when I turn off the engine when parked in my driveway which has a steep slant. Pretty cool feature.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by alextclam
It isn't loud on mine either. As a matter of fact, yesterday I was parked on the street waiting for my wife inside the car. The engine was off and after 5 mins the emergency brakes was automatically engaged on it's own. I didn't hear any noise but I felt the car shake. At first I thought someone bumped me from behind but then I realized it was the emergency brake and saw the light was on the front display. I also notice that the emergency brake automatically engages when I turn off the engine when parked in my driveway which has a steep slant. Pretty cool feature.
Yeap! Mine does this all the time. Especially when I'm sitting in car line for kid pick up. At first I thiught I was bumped too. The emergency brake on mine does make a soft whining sound with a few faint clicks. I never touch the emergency brake because it will engage and disengage (just put it in gear and tap the gas) itself automatically and does make some noise doing it. It is much louder in my garage but it is not annoyingly loud. If someone is standing outside near the car they can hear it too (someone has commented on it to me).
Old 05-05-2016, 05:40 PM

GLE 350 and ML350
Originally Posted by mkspear32
Thanks good to know. I'll be pressing my dealer on getting this quieted down and will keep everyone advised.

Thanks
Finally got down to my dealer and we checked two more GLE350's on the lot and they all make the same noise as mine, maybe a little quieter but not much. I just think it is so lame to have this noise with all the technology available today, especially on a Mercedes. Just my two cents.