GLE Class (W166) Produced 2015-2019
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Clapping sound from front suspension in GLE W166 with Airmatic in Comfort mode only

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 05:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
Clapping sound from front suspension in GLE W166 with Airmatic in Comfort mode only

Gradually after getting used to the car I noticed a specific "clapping" sound from front-left wheel when passing over speed bumps/I don't know if this is the way they call the yellow bumps they put in front of schools for instance to make you reduce the speed/ . If I pass really slowly the sound is not produced, but if it is a bit more energetic/but not fast/ and the vehicle bounces up and down a bit, then there it is. Nothing on pavement, nor going down from kerbs, and all this only in Comfort, never in Sport. Somewhere in the forums I have read this is typical for GLE-s with airmatic, but what bothers me it is only form the left side. The sound is not strong, and I cannot say it is bothering on everyday basis, stil this is a new vehicle in the luxurious segment and it should not be like this.
When I took the car to the dealer, they test drove it in the beginning, admittied there is a difference in the way left and right front wheel passed through bumps, then spent 2 hours inspecting the car and in the end concluded everything is technically fine and charged me for the inspection because there was no warranty issue found.
Anybody with such experience?
Old 05-27-2017, 10:25 PM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by yavor
spent 2 hours inspecting the car and in the end concluded everything is technically fine and charged me for the inspection because there was no warranty issue found.
What?!!!!! Absurd!
Old 05-28-2017, 12:44 AM

2016 GLE 350 4Matic
Yes, I have similar experience with my front left side. Whenever I go over speed bumps or a little bumpy road here in NYC, I hear slight Clapping/hollow/knocking sound coming from the front left. Took it to the dealer and told me everything is fine. I guess it could be a design issue or some sound insulation imperfection if everything else is tight and the way it should be.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:07 AM

Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
Originally Posted by Leo17
Yes, I have similar experience with my front left side. Whenever I go over speed bumps or a little bumpy road here in NYC, I hear slight Clapping/hollow/knocking sound coming from the front left. Took it to the dealer and told me everything is fine. I guess it could be a design issue or some sound insulation imperfection if everything else is tight and the way it should be.
Thank you for the input, either it is a "normal" characteristic fearute of this car, or we both have one and the same problem I hear the sound only on speed bumps and generally I slow down more so not to produce the sound.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:12 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Either it is a "normal" characteristic feature of this car, or we both have one and the same problem
Trust me, it is NOT a normal feature of the car. You both have the same problem. If it was normal, you wouldn't hear it ONLY from the left side. Ask yourself, "What kind of design feature would produce asymmetrical symptoms?" That's a BS excuse from the technicians for a problem they can't find.

My last car (2010 Cadillac SRX, first year new generation) had a similar issue. It started out with a handful of people reporting the same sound. In that case, it was a "knocking" sound from both sides of the front end as you went over bumps. As they sold more vehicles, complaints became widespread. It turned out to be bad struts due to a design defect. It couldn't be simply repaired because they had to redesign the parts. Once that happened, a service bulletin was issued and repairs were made per capita at no charge. Here's the kicker. It only affected some cars. Mine was not included. How did I find out about the problem if it didn't affect my car? From a forum just like this one.

They will never call it a "recall" if it isn't safety related. "Recall" is a dirty word in the auto industry. It causes bad publicity and a loss of sales. If MB never admits there's a defect, they don't ever have to perform repairs or spend the time (= money) to pinpoint the source of the problem. They'll make you feel like you're imagining things or hearing something that's perfectly normal, until dozens if not hundreds of people start reporting the exact same thing. Then, it becomes undeniable and they're forced to acknowledge a design defect.

I'm still outraged that they actually charged you for examining the car. I had several things examined on my SRX that turned out to be legitimately normal. I never paid a dime for any of them. Come on MB. Surely you can do better than Cadillac. This is my first MB. I'd hoped they were above this kind of nonsense. Apparently, I was wrong. I bought into the hype. When it comes to service, "The best or nothing" seems to be no different than the rest. Don't get me wrong. I love my car and so far have had "0" mechanical issues. But this kind of service is deplorable.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:17 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
I slow down more so as not to produce the sound.
Really? That's what it's come down to, adjusting your driving habits to mask a mechanical defect? No owner should ever have to do this.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:44 AM

Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
I had exactly the same thinking, even if it is considered "normal" it had to come symmetrically from both wheels. Anyway, obviously if two different dealers in two countries don't find something technically improper, they have no idea what to do. Strange thing is this is the same suspension like on ML W166 and there are thousands of vehicles sold with the air suspension. If it was a common issue they would tell me it is ok even without inspection of the vehicle. It's not the right way if thinking but my experience shows such problems are never defined and corrected no matter how much time do you spend at the dealership unless it doesn't become worse probably and until now it doesn't.

Last edited by yavor; 05-28-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLE 350d 2016
My gle (non-air suspension) is almost one year old. 20,000 kms on it. About two months ago I started hearing a clunking sound from the front left wheel area. The sound is mostly noticeable when driving at low speeds over speed bumps, driveway curbs and road joints. A technician went on a drive with me and agreed the sound is not normal and should not be there. A detailed inspection showed nothing. Next week they will be replacing the shockabsorbers on both sides. I will post the results, but I am sceptical a bit and not happy to say the least!
My old ml w164 with 124k on it had a flawless suspension!
Old 05-28-2017, 12:48 PM

Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
Changing shock absorbers at 20 000 km isn't normal for any vehicle, usually they are replaced between 150 and 250 000. Just curious, are they gonna change them under warranty?
Apart from this, I dont think its the same problem because 1. Absolutely I dont have the sound going down from kerbs but only passing over smooth speed bumps causing the front of the vehicle swing up and down 2. There is NO clapping in Sport, at any conditions, only in Comfort , that I connect with the stiffness of the Airmatic shock absorbers
Old 05-28-2017, 02:30 PM

GLE 350d 2016
Yes, all covered under warranty. Regardless, l am not happy!
Old 05-28-2017, 04:20 PM

Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
Please let us know if changing the shock absorbers will give result or not. In my case I doubt this is the reason because the clapping was present maybe from when the vehicle was brand new but as you know in the beginning you don't know the sounds of your car so well and you need some time to recognize what's normal and what not.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 GLS 450
When I got my ML in 2014 I noticed a sound when I made the car bounce by accelerating but I couldn't say where it came from. Of course at first the dealer couldn't find anything, so I had to drive it with the guy sitting next to me to demonstrate. They found that some part of the exhaust shield, the silver piece that keeps the heat away from the chassis was too close to the exhaust and they just bent it a little.... never heard that sound again. I have airmatic too.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:34 PM

GLE 350d 2016
Update:

The dealer replaced both shock absorbers and I am happy to announce the "clunking" is gone!
Their explanation: defective driverside shock.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:30 PM

Mercedes GLE 350d 4Matic
I'm glad to hear the problem is solved!
Old 06-07-2017, 05:58 PM

GLE 350d 2016
Thanks
The car is far from perfect but no car is. The dealer is very helpful. Regardless, a shock should not fail after 20k kms
Old 06-08-2017, 12:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 GLS 450 2017 E300 Sport
I just had the driver side Strut replaced in my GLS because of a knocking noise. First they tried to tell me nothing was wrong. I took them for a ride and in a matter of one minute I replicated the noise. A day later it was fixed

Last edited by baobay; 06-08-2017 at 01:18 PM.