Sponsored By:

More wind noise in panoramic moon roof model

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gle350
More wind noise in panoramic moon roof model

I have a GLE350 2018 with panoramic moon roof. I got a 2018 GLE350 loaner yesterday and the loaner did not have panoramic moon roof (it just had the regular moon roof). The wind noise at 70+ mph in my car seems to be a tad bit more than the one I tested without the panoramic moonroof. The mechanics have verified that there is no issue with my car, no leakage and no insulation issues. They also agreed that the noise in all cars with panoramic moon roof in general is a bit more than the cars without it. Have you guys noticed it?
Old 04-25-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 131 Likes on 114 Posts
AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by southernsingh
I have a GLE350 2018 with panoramic moon roof. I got a 2018 GLE350 loaner yesterday and the loaner did not have panoramic moon roof (it just had the regular moon roof). The wind noise at 70+ mph in my car seems to be a tad bit more than the one I tested without the panoramic moonroof. The mechanics have verified that there is no issue with my car, no leakage and no insulation issues. They also agreed that the noise in all cars with panoramic moon roof in general is a bit more than the cars without it. Have you guys noticed it?
I'm a little confused. You said "wind noise", yet they verified there was no air leak. So are you hearing this wind noise "through" the glass? The regular moon roof and the panoramic moon roof should give the vehicle the exact same aerodynamic profile. Since noise in general will penetrate glass easier than it will a solid roof, this could account for what you're hearing.

I haven't noticed any type of wind noise, but the Coupe and the SUV have completely different profiles. Also, the Coupe is only available with the panoramic moon roof standard, so there's nothing to compare it to.

Did you have the sun screen open or closed? That would absorb some of the noise too.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gle350
It sounds like a flag fluttering (not loud though, I mean pretty much all cars have it, some have more, luxury cars usually have less). Mine is not a coupe. This noise is present in the loaner too but I feel it is a little louder in mine as it has panoramic roof. I keep the sun screen closed.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:40 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by southernsingh
It sounds like a flag fluttering (not loud though, I mean pretty much all cars have it, some have more, luxury cars usually have less). Mine is not a coupe. This noise is present in the loaner too but I feel it is a little louder in mine as it has panoramic roof. I keep the sun screen closed.
I'm very **** about any noise heard inside the cabin. I just realized roof rack side rails are standard on your vehicle. There's the difference. Those side rails definitely cause some wind noise, but there shouldn't be a difference between the regular moon roof and panoramic moon roof. The only thing I can think of is you're hearing more wind noise from the side rails because there's more glass, and that's easier to hear through. I don't even know why they put roof rack rails on a car with a panoramic moon roof. You should never put any kind of weight on that glass. My guess is that they're more for aesthetics than functionality.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:07 AM

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic, 2019 GLS 450 4Matic
I have a 2016 GLE 350 and have wondered about wind noise in the tilt open mode compared the sliding it back.

I'm thinking I get more "leaking" wind noise when I tilt it up in back as opposed to sliding it back yet it may be more of hearing the vent fan blowing from the ducts by the navigation screen. So far I may be hearing more background noise from the vents than anywhere else because of how well insulated these SUVs are compared to other makes of cars. In other words, it's so quiet that any little sound like a window cracked open makes for a "loud" distraction.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:27 AM

AMG GLE43 Coupe
Originally Posted by GLE John
I have a 2016 GLE 350 and have wondered about wind noise in the tilt open mode compared the sliding it back.

I'm thinking I get more "leaking" wind noise when I tilt it up in back as opposed to sliding it back yet it may be more of hearing the vent fan blowing from the ducts by the navigation screen. So far I may be hearing more background noise from the vents than anywhere else because of how well insulated these SUVs are compared to other makes of cars. In other words, it's so quiet that any little sound like a window cracked open makes for a "loud" distraction.
Any time you open the moon roof, but keep the windows closed, that fluttering noise you hear is known as "buffeting". Rather than bore you with a scientific explanation, the wind coming in has no place to escape. Therefore, it produces a booming noise. If you crack two windows (on opposite sides) and inch or so, the noise will disappear. You can also hear this if you open only one window with the moon roof closed. This is why I always open at least two windows. If I'm in the car by myself and I want fresh air, but not the road noise, I'll open both windows on the passenger side.

https://exa.com/en/industry/automoti...ndow-buffeting
Old 04-26-2019, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
Mine is whisper quiet...try taping all the opening seam with duct tape....that will tell you if you have a wind leak
The following users liked this post:
senahid (03-30-2023)
Old 05-20-2019, 08:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
GLE 350 4MATIC
I have this as well. it's very odd. open/close the sunroof (not pano), no road noise. vent then close the sunroof, you'll hear road noise/wind at 45+mph. I've taken it to the dealer, showed them the video, "it's normal", and that was that. they refused to look into it further. whats interesting is there's a distinct change audible noise but it's still "leak proof" (never through a car wash but I have in rain)
Old 05-21-2019, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Originally Posted by Nanook
Mine is whisper quiet...try taping all the opening seam with duct tape....that will tell you if you have a wind leak
Great idea but I would use some not as strong at duct tape. Try a painters/masking/frog tape maybe. But you should not year a "flapping" wind noise.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 gle43 amg
That is what I did on my noise issue from panorama sunroof on my gle43 amg coupe 2018 and figured its sunroof. With tape on it you can't hear noise. When sunroof is closed it looks flush but i guess there is no enough pressure not to hear noise with higher speed.