Sponsored By:

Windshield protection warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE350
Windshield protection warranty

I purchased(forced) to buy 5 years warranty for windshield and dent protection for 1700$ .. still debating if I should keep it or not. They said it covera 100% repairs and if needed a new one will be installed
Old 02-19-2020, 05:12 PM

GLE350
The items I got for this price are:
5 years windshield protection
5 years lost key coverage
5 years - Dent protection(small dents)
500$ deductible paid for any claims towards insurance
Old 02-19-2020, 07:29 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Cancel immediately
your insurance cover windshields $500.00
small dents are about $100 for the first one and maybe $50 each other one.

as you can see your deductible is way too high

just cancel
Old 03-24-2020, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 GLE350 2014 E350 Sport
I've seen Clearplex working pretty good protecting windshield.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:52 AM

gle43
Thumbs up Keep the insurance

Last May I caught a rock on the freeway on my 2018 GLE 43 just under the right-side wiper blade. Didn't notice it for a few days since it was below the sightline. Anyway, when I finally noticed it and got it to Mercedes, it took me two weeks (lead time on replacement) and cost me $1200 out of pocket even though I have full insurance. The comprehensive on my policy didn't help much (one of the leading domestic insurers) and the darn windshield has so much technology in it these days that it just costs a bunch to get fixed.

The insurance you mention was not offered to me; not sure if I would have taken it or not. But knowing now what the cost is to replace a windshield on a year-old GLE, I would have in a heartbeat. With all the crap on our highways these days, it would just be foolish to assume you will forever dodge all those items being thrown at your nice car.

If you have a halfway decent service advisor, ask them to run a quote for you on a windshield replacement and then run the quote past your insurance agent and see what they would cover. You might be surprised what this exercise actually reveals since everyone's experience is going to be a little different depending on policies, locale, etc.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:19 PM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2013 SL550, 2017 GLE350, 2018 Audi Q3
I've had three different insurance companies over the years insuring my cars. All of them included windshield replacement at no extra cost.

Time you started shopping around for a new policy.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:54 PM

gle43
Stand by my answer

Insurance companies often pay only "usual and customary". Read your fine print. You own a Mercedes; all repairs are more expensive than "usual and customary", even more so if your model is built in Germany. If you want Safelight to replace the windshield on your relatively new GLE, go for it; it will be less expensive. If you want Mercedes service to do it so that all future warranties are honored and you have someone to complain to if the rain sensor stops working, then its going to cost you more.

As I said, get your service adviser to quote you a windshield replacement and then present the quote to your insurance agent to see what they would cover. Should involve two phone calls and 15 minutes of your time. Take into account your deductible and you might find that the Mercedes insurance pays for itself with a single windshield replacement. But if you live someplace that has no rocks are construction trucks on your freeways, then don't bother with the windshield coverage. Insurance is always a gamble; you're betting against the insurance company that it will be needed and they are betting it won't. Look who is making money on the deal and you can see who wins. But if an unexpected $2K bill to get a windshield replaced would be troublesome, then including the insurance in the purchase (where it can sometimes be financed if you're getting a loan) might let you rest easier at night.

Read the fine print on the Mercedes policy and be CERTAIN that it covers all costs of replacement. They don't leave out little things like labor, re-connecting and tuning associated electronics, etc. If memory serves, my Mercedes bill had several little nit-picky line items on it.

My insurance is with one of the big three US companies. Can I get it cheaper, sure. Can I get better coverage, not enough so to bother with. And, yes, I've tried.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:31 PM

gle43
Correction

And now I have to fall on my sword and eat my words. Tasty!

This discussion got me thinking so I pulled my records. My insurance did pay for nearly everything after all. Yes, I had to pay up front in order to get the work done in the timeframe I wanted but the insurance company did ultimately reimburse me.

So numbers from my Mercedes statement for a GLE windshield replacement:

Windshield: US$ 845
Labor: US$ 300
Recalibrate front windshield cameras: US$ 220

I leave you to your own decision.