Sponsored By:

2016 GLE350 4 Matic - Keep or Ttade-in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 11:40 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
2016 GLE350 4Matic, 2017 GLC300
2016 GLE350 4 Matic - Keep or Ttade-in

I have a 2016 GLE350 4 Matic with 61K miles on it. It will be paid off this year. Had the prepaid maintenance on it, which now expired at 4 years.
I also have 5- year Tire and Wheel Warranty and 7-year extended warranty 100,000 miles.
It has the 20’’ Pirelli Scorpion tires, which haven’t been the best tires, too soft and wear off super fast. Trying to switch to Continental or Goodyear.
Now I’m paying for regular maintenance , paid so far A-service $287.00 and B-service $600. Kind of worried about upcoming services , Breaks $1,500 and up, possibly $3K with rotors, Belts etc.
I Was thinking about the thousands of dollars I’m going to spend on MB maintenance, if nothing else goes wrong. I don’t like using mech shops and like having everything done at the dealer.
The GLE is also a gas guzzler, costing me $50 every 5 days to fill up. I’ve been thinking for possible trading-in the GLE for a Toyota Highlander or Hyundai Palisade SUV’s. According the blue book value it’s at $20K. I don’t know what to do and what’s the most financially effective way. I don’t want to have to spend thousands maintaining the GLE in the next few years but once it’s paid off (this year) I won’t have to worry about payments.
-trade in - will get very little for it , will have a new suv payments for the next 4-5 years, pay new sales tax, possibly less expensive on gas and maintenance, roomier, 3 rows seats.
-keep GLE- wont have to make payments, fits us right, a bit on the right side, love the bright bixenon lights and solid breaks, heavy solid vehicle. But it will cost me a lot of $ to maintain.
Could anyone give me any numbers or idea of how much it’s going to cost me, on maintenance for the GLE it the next 5 years ?
or is it better to just keep it and drive it until it dies completely or the engine or transmission fail, at which point I’ll have to trade it in for peanuts and get another vehicle anyway.
Basically asking for advise if it’s better to keep it or sell it before super expensive maintenance comes up. Thanks
Old 02-28-2020, 09:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
N/A
It is almost never a good idea, financially, to trade a car in for a new one. Maintenance is expensive but it typically won’t be anywhere close to what you’ll spend on a new car payment annually. If that’s primary consideration, don’t do it.

if you just want a new car, can afford it, and were looking for an excuse to buy it, just find a better one.

Last edited by Taco1933; 02-28-2020 at 09:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Taco1933:
Roni07 (02-28-2020), WN1X (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 10:53 AM

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic, 2019 GLS 450 4Matic
Originally Posted by Roni07
I have a 2016 GLE350 4 Matic with 61K miles on it. It will be paid off this year. Had the prepaid maintenance on it, which now expired at 4 years.
I also have 5- year Tire and Wheel Warranty and 7-year extended warranty 100,000 miles.
It has the 20’’ Pirelli Scorpion tires, which haven’t been the best tires, too soft and wear off super fast. Trying to switch to Continental or Goodyear.
Now I’m paying for regular maintenance , paid so far A-service $287.00 and B-service $600. Kind of worried about upcoming services , Breaks $1,500 and up, possibly $3K with rotors, Belts etc.
I Was thinking about the thousands of dollars I’m going to spend on MB maintenance, if nothing else goes wrong. I don’t like using mech shops and like having everything done at the dealer.
The GLE is also a gas guzzler, costing me $50 every 5 days to fill up. I’ve been thinking for possible trading-in the GLE for a Toyota Highlander or Hyundai Palisade SUV’s. According the blue book value it’s at $20K. I don’t know what to do and what’s the most financially effective way. I don’t want to have to spend thousands maintaining the GLE in the next few years but once it’s paid off (this year) I won’t have to worry about payments.
-trade in - will get very little for it , will have a new suv payments for the next 4-5 years, pay new sales tax, possibly less expensive on gas and maintenance, roomier, 3 rows seats.
-keep GLE- wont have to make payments, fits us right, a bit on the right side, love the bright bixenon lights and solid breaks, heavy solid vehicle. But it will cost me a lot of $ to maintain.
Could anyone give me any numbers or idea of how much it’s going to cost me, on maintenance for the GLE it the next 5 years ?
or is it better to just keep it and drive it until it dies completely or the engine or transmission fail, at which point I’ll have to trade it in for peanuts and get another vehicle anyway.
Basically asking for advise if it’s better to keep it or sell it before super expensive maintenance comes up. Thanks
I have owned my 2016 GLE 350 4matic since I bought it as a CPO car last year, and I'm seeing the same maintenance items due as well. I'll post the brake parts estimate later, but the dealer tells me a 4 wheel brake job there is around $1500. They told me I have 2-4 mm left which may get me around 65,000 + miles on a set of brakes- once done should last that long again which is ok. The oil change was easy and if I can continue to get Mobil 1 at $30 or so for 5 quarts and an approved filter for under $10, oil changes will be about $60- far less than the dealership price.

The transmission fluid and filter change done at the B3 (60,000 mile service) was the main part of the $500 service and is by the schedule good for another 60,000 miles. Ironically, my dealership told me they switched to full synthetic and wanted $180 additional for the up-charge over what came from the factory. I didn't pay that since I maintained that it was part of the charge I was quoted and agreed to and that it shouldn't have changed when my car was in the middle of being worked on.

I've never usually gone to a dealership due to higher than average costs when compared to an independent shop, unless the shops did not have the specialized equipment to perform the work.

I would suggest, as I consider doing the brake job myself, to at least get estimates from a reputable shop other than a Mercedes dealer. Dealerships are typically the most expensive and there should be a "tire and muffler" shop qualified to change brakes on Mercedes where it should be much less.

If your vehicle has been relatively problem free, it may be better to keep it and trust the reliability will continue since every vehicle no matter the brand will need wear items such as tires, brakes, and so on replaced at some time.

Last edited by SUV John; 02-28-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE350
From what Ive seen. People love to take your car especially the private parties if it has lets say 2 years of warranty more which makes them worry free for few years. That should atleast give you 4-5K or even more when you sell it. Worst case the warranty is worry free for you too.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 GLE 350 4Matic
I am more on the Keep side. I had a 2016 GLE which is approaching the 4 yr mark next month. My general rule of thumb on car maintenance is to bring the car in for all services while it is under warranty. Once you are out, then it all depends. Brake and rotor I usually do it myself or bring it to a local reputable shop and pay them the labor. I always get the OEM parts myself. Same with Oil change, I get the oils and filters myself. The key here is to find a good local shop that specializes in European brand. The cost is almost definitely cheaper to keep the vehicle. The only thing here is to try to find ways to cut the maintenance cost down. I won't go to the dealer unless it is a problem that only a dealer could fix.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:46 PM

I just had my B service done with break fluid flush for $600-$75 off at the dealer.
I was told next service (will be A) I can do the spark plug replacement at $876 parts and labour. I’ll wait for another coupon from my dealer or call the other dealer and see how much they would charge. They are typically cheaper, B service was $499, my dealer was $600 but with the coupon it was only $25 bucks difference and didn’t have to drive 45 min away. But yes if no coupon. I would go to the other dealer. I’ll Go to the other dealer for A service, they charge only $89. To be honest I don’t trust other small shops the dealer mechanics are certified and trained, I haven’t had good experience by other private shops that claim they service all makes. Vehicle nowadays are very complex. I have done break replacement on a Honda before but wouldn’t attempt to do it on the GLE I would rather have a piece of mind and let the dealer do it.
mom ok with paying $500 for a tranny flush, as long as it works without problems and it it lasts me Antietam 60K miles, I’m ok with it. I don’t want things breaking down
I remember in EU, VW and Mercedes has a very good, reliable, quality vehicle reputation. The vehicles were all made in Germany by Germans. Now a days they are made all over the world and horrible quality control and lots of reliability issues. Such a shame. That’s why folks run to the Japanese brands because they are simplistic and reliable and not outrageously expensive to maintain. I I’m ok paying high price for quality but don’t charge me a lot and then all no have is problems. This is not justified. Luxury don’t honk so, Hyundai is more luxurious then many of the A B C class vehicles. Who puts crappy LEF lights with 80s halogen lights in an $70K vehicle ? Mercedes does. Shameful. We had to lay an extra $7K for the bixenon lights, so I can see where I’m driving at night
Old 02-28-2020, 10:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,970 Likes on 3,120 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Roni07, in your original post you are making objections about:

- tire wear
- fuel economy
- dealer service prices

These are facts of life with Mercedes ownership. You can improve a little on tires with driving habits, overinflation and buying long tread life tires. You can improve quite a bit by using indy shops, but you said you don't like this option. So there you go.

As mentioned above, trading in a vehicle is generally a money losing proposition for most people. If the operating costs (fuel, oil changes, tire, brakes) are too much for you, sell the vehicle and move on.

If you can handle the operating costs, and like the vehicle, keep it. The W166 with M276 non-turbo is arguably the most reliable vehicle Mercedes has produced in the last 5 years. The W222 S550 might be a close second place.
The following users liked this post:
Roni07 (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 12:38 AM

As soon as my tire and wheel warranty expires T the end of this year, I will check out tire shops possibly Tire Rack and find a longer life tire.
My wife had a SLK 350 and loved it. She had a great driving experience and received a lot of compliments on the vehicle. She likes the look and heavy built of MB vehicles. We ended up getting her a GLC300- she loves the bi-turbo engine, this thing flies. It’s fairly comfortable vehicle for her.
I ended up with the GLE350. 4-Matic. Will continue driving it and see how it goes. I have the 7-year 100K miles ELW.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (02-29-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 01:16 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
GLE63 AMG
Originally Posted by Roni07
If gas mileage is a concern, why did you buy an SUV? And get 4MATIC at that? That makes NO SENSE. Also the Palisade and Highlander have v6's as well so any MPG improvements will be minimal.

Spending $1500 on brakes every 60K miles seems A LOT cheaper than spending $400-$600/month over 4-6 years on a car note again, getting into another depreciating asset. So again, doing maintenance is cheaper. And you said you don't like going to INDY's!? Do you think the people that work at Mercedes are special type of human being gifted with the ability to work on MB cars? They are the same people you can find at any QUALIFIED REPUTABLE shop. It's you mentality that is clearly costing you money, not the car. It's obvious you just want a chance and want an excuse to buy a new car and have peace of mind not worrying about maintenance. If that's worth it, do you. Seems like you probably are tight on money if $50 on gas every 5 days is a burden so maybe stop buying expensive new cars and increase your income and learn to save. smh. There's just no logic here. I make 120K which isn't much at all and I still bought my GLE used because I can't justify 30K in depreciation in 3 years.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:58 AM

LOL 😂 you are funny. Of course it doesn’t make sense, if it did, I wouldn’t be posting here.
I love my wife’s choice of vehicles.
Had B service at 61K miles. A-OK. Mechanic says , breaks still good, in the green, I hope those breaks keep going strong for another $20K.
Next upcoming jobs,
- Tune-up - replace spark plugs ($876).
- Transmission fluid flush at 70K miles ($-?)
- Engine coolant flush at 90K miles ($-?)
- Break Pads-front /rear + rotors ($3K)
Old 03-02-2020, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE350
How long do the stock tires last? I think mine would do 40-45k at max.. I have the continental stock 265/20"
Old 03-02-2020, 07:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,970 Likes on 3,120 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
My Conti CrossContact LX Sports have around 5k miles left in them. That would be 40k miles total. I will report when I replace them this spring or summer. I will likely replace them with Conti CrossContact LX25s, for better treadwear. They are a few bucks cheaper than the Sports, a nice secondary benefit.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:19 PM

Spoke to MB head office today about my tires ripping at around 20K miles on them.
Pirelli Scorpion 20
So this executive referral manger said that it’s perfectly normal and within range for these tires to wear off in 20K mikes. ???? I’m shocked 😱.
it must be an inside MB joke.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 GLE 350d Coupe
If you're worried about the gas mileage then do like me, get the 350d.
It gets 600+ miles to the tank.
This is my first diesel in 40+ years of owning cars. I love it.

My 2₵
Old 03-29-2020, 07:02 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
If you are going to trade it, I would do it now before you get 70000, Once you get much over 60,000 miles it becomes less desirable to a lot of people who can afford or want a Merceds. Also, if you do keep it, look for a good independent Mercedes mechanic to help how down cost.