Ticking Noise from 2017 GLE 350 Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE 350
Ticking Noise from 2017 GLE 350 Engine Bay

Hi,

I just bought this 2017 GLE 350 from a dealership last week and have been noticing this noise from Day 1. I looked at other videos of GLE 350's and found that the engine is just loud in general, but I wanted to double check if this is normal. This sound is especially loud on cold start, but is still decently loud afterwords. I can hear it from inside my car if I listen carefully, and I can hear it outside my car (engine hood closed). The car was sitting on the lot for 90 days so I think it might just need any oil change/filter to help with the lifters? I was also thinking it might also be the serpantine belt/tensioner pulley? Besides that noise, the car drives smooth and quick. I do feel the steering wheel/cabin slightly vibrating when I cold start it (can feel it on the center console), but that goes after a bit. The car came with 60 day lemon law dealer warranty, so please let me know if I should bring it back to the dealer. 48k miles, carfax shows frequent 4k maintenance at the mercedes dealer. Thank you for your help!!!

Sound:
Old 12-03-2021, 05:44 PM

2017 GLE 350
Here is the noise from the outside:
Old 12-03-2021, 05:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,641 Likes on 2,245 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Don't hear anything abnormal, unless you mean the ticking constantly throughout the video then that is normal as those are the fuel injectors.
Old 12-03-2021, 05:50 PM

2017 GLE 350
Yeah, I was referring to the constant ticking - thanks, do you think an oil change/fuel injector cleaner (Techron 20oz) would help?
Old 12-03-2021, 05:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by vikkk
Yeah, I was referring to the constant ticking - thanks, do you think an oil change/fuel injector cleaner (Techron 20oz) would help?
No problem, glad I answered your question and no, no need as this injector noise is perfectly normal for a modern Mercedes. If you really want to use fuel injector cleaners, make sure they are compatible for your vehicle. I never personally used those products so I can't say if I can recommend it. Research is recommended : )
Old 12-03-2021, 06:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Forgot to answer your second question, sorry about that. Some vibration and brief and that it isn't super noticeable when cold starting is normal but since I am not able to experience it by being in your vehicle physically, I can't say if the vibration you are experiencing is normal. The vibration usually stops after your rev counter drops after 30 seconds or so. Since as you mentioned you have 60 days warranty from the Mercedes dealership, I would say definitely take it back to have it look at if you are concerned. After all you spent all that money you want to be satisfied, you could also ask for a second opinion on the fuel injector noise. From what I heard, everything does appear normal I did play the video several times to make sure I didn't miss anything but it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion from your dealership.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:16 PM

2017 GLE 350
Thanks so much for your response, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I traded in my car old car (435i BMW MSport) at a BMW dealership for this car. I have a Service A appointment with Mercedes in a few weeks, so I'll have them take a listen for a second opinion for sure. The vibrations occur during start up (rev counter stays stagnant at 1000ish rpm), and basically disappears after the car is warmed up - tbh it seems normal, I'm just nitpicking. My primary concern was that the engine ticking was too loud/not normal, but I'll link a few videos below where the engine is shown on a new/similar GLE with similar sounds (linking for future forum visitors for reference).

Reference #1:
(10:55 , exact sound match)
Reference #2:
(7:24 , sounds slightly smoother)
Reference #3:
(12:10 , similar)
Reference #3:
(8:54 , different car/engine, but similar noise)
Old 12-03-2021, 06:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Thanks so much for your response, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I traded in my car old car (435i BMW MSport) at a BMW dealership for this car. I have a Service A appointment with Mercedes in a few weeks, so I'll have them take a listen for a second opinion for sure. The vibrations occur during start up (rev counter stays stagnant at 1000ish rpm), and basically disappears after the car is warmed up - tbh it seems normal, I'm just nitpicking. My primary concern was that the engine ticking was too loud/not normal, but I'll link a few videos below where the engine is shown on a new/similar GLE with similar sounds (linking for future forum visitors for reference).

Reference #1: 10:55 (10:55 , exact sound match)
Reference #2: 7:24 (7:24 , sounds slightly smoother)
Reference #3: 12:10 (12:10 , similar)
Reference #3: 8:54 (8:54 , different car/engine, but similar noise)
First of all, welcome to MBworld and the Mercedes-Benz family.

No problem at all, happy to help! Glad you found the information I provided useful. I watched the videos you linked, they all sound normal. The reason the second video sounds much quieter it is probably because of the recording device used, there seems to be some post processing, perhaps it is the recording device's noise-cancelling microphone which the purpose is to eliminate background noise. Your phone has those microphones for example and helps during a phone call.

Yup then the vibration most likely is normal but it certainly doesn't hurt to mention to the technician during your service along with the injectors.

Good luck with your service appointment!
Old 12-05-2021, 09:23 PM

2017 GLE 350
Thanks again! Just wanted to update you (as well as future readers). I checked my dipstick yesterday and noticed that the oil level was on low/min. I added a quart of oil and ran the Techron fuel injector cleaner (the only MB approved FIC to my knowledge). Within a few hours I noticed a decent decrease in the noise coming from my engine. I believe the low oil caused the valves to be louder, and the injectors were dirty from normal drive/wear.

Fingers crossed the noise will decrease as I run the car (and thus the fuel injector cleaner) more + oil change. However, I'll make sure to mention to this dealer incase it might be a belt.

Just some additional notes for future readers:
  • Seems like the ticking noise is normal/common in most direct-injected Mercedes (I actually hear it on a lot of other Mercedes around my town since I pay more attention to it now) due to loud fuel injectors. I have seen a few post regarding this topic, and all the responses are "normal"
  • I personally hear the noise more when idling & slowing down (from outside + inside the cabin), and it seemingly blends in when driving 15mph+. As imagined, it is the most loud during a cold start, but typically gets quieter within the first 30 seconds
  • The videos linked above are great examples of the noise. If yours is louder hopefully an oil change + fuel injector cleaner will help (I read this advice on another post). Some people recommended running the FIC 2-3 times (over the span of a few weeks)
  • If the above don't help, it could be a timing belt OR serpentine belt OR tension pulleys. TB is the most expensive of the 3, and there are many videos online diagnosing worn/damaged SB & TP (SB/TP replacements are quick, common and significantly cheaper at local indys)
  • I'll provide updates after my dealership appointment
Old 12-06-2021, 12:10 AM

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts
GLE 350 , GLA 250 and Lexus ES 350
Hi,

I just bought this 2017 GLE 350 from a dealership last week and have been noticing this noise from Day 1. I looked at other videos of GLE 350's and found that the engine is just loud in general, but I wanted to double check if this is normal. This sound is especially loud on cold start, but is still decently loud afterwords. I can hear it from inside my car if I listen carefully, and I can hear it outside my car (engine hood closed). The car was sitting on the lot for 90 days so I think it might just need any oil change/filter to help with the lifters? I was also thinking it might also be the serpantine belt/tensioner pulley? Besides that noise, the car drives smooth and quick. I do feel the steering wheel/cabin slightly vibrating when I cold start it (can feel it on the center console), but that goes after a bit. The car came with 60 day lemon law dealer warranty, so please let me know if I should bring it back to the dealer. 48k miles, carfax shows frequent 4k maintenance at the mercedes dealer. Thank you for your help!!!

Sound: https://youtu.be/9F_0aYEGODg
This engine to my knowledge has direct fuel inj. Google your VIN number to get the engine info. Direct fuel inj has a special fuel pump (2nd one close to engine/inj) which produces high PSI to open the injectors under high combustion chamber pressure which produces this kind of sound. So I think it is normal. For peace of mind you can take to MB dealer.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:20 AM

Received 113 Likes on 96 Posts
16 GLE400 4matic
I was worried when I bought my GLE. Called up my MB tech friend before I bought the vehicle. He said it's normal it's the injectors. My wife Audi Q3 TFSI Is much louder and scared the hell out of me but it's normal they use direct injectors 300 bar (calming from another Audi/VW owner). I had it checked out at Audi and talk to multiple Audi owners.

Last edited by amusa; 12-06-2021 at 05:24 AM.