GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

GLE53 AMG vs Cayenne Base

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 09:52 AM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2013 Mercedes Benz C350
GLE53 AMG vs Cayenne Base

Hello all,

I have been perusing the MB and Porsche forums regarding the Cayenne and GLE53 to make an informed decision on my next vehicle. Was hoping to get some opinions on this forum on both cars. Being on the MB forum I'm sure there will be some bias (my own included). I've done a bunch of research and test driven both cars multiple times, every time leaving with a smile on my face since both are amazing vehicles. I've divided my thoughts on these cars in a few categories.

Interior Design:
GLE53 - By far the best looking and feeling interior in the class. Everything is so well appointed and the materials used even on lower versions are beyond anyone in the class. There metal dials and switches everywhere, all the trims are nice, the mb-tex is some of the best fake and durable leather I've experienced (my c-class has the mb-tex and it's still going strong 7 years later) Ergonomics are great and the dual screen setup is very futuristic looking (although I'm sure in a few years we'll see the new S-class setup here too).
Cayenne - Easily up there on the top with the best looking interior in the price range. While I prefer the layout and design on the cayenne here, the materials on such an expensive car are lacking. The window switches and some of the dials are plastic and the black piano trim is not my favorite. The AMG has plastic components too but almost everything in sight is usually metal or leather. The speakers for example on the cayenne are black plastic while on the benz they are metal.

Exterior Design:
GLE53
- I like that MB made the 53 and 63 exterior look very similar (I'm sure 63 owners aren't thrilled about that). People that want to enter the AMG market can have a car that pretty much looks like the big brother but a smaller engine which is fine with me. The front of the 53 is very mean and imposing looking with the AMG grill and hood bumps. I have mixed feelings about the rear. I love the dual exhausts but not that big of fan of the lights. The side profile is nice too with the classic ML C-pillar design.
Cayenne - I think the latest generation Cayenne is the best looking Cayenne so far. I love the headlights of the new Cayenne but the entire front is very round. It is definitely mean looking but very bubbly as well. The rear of Porsche is beautiful with the light bar and the slanted roofline. The side profile is also very nice with that slanted roof which almost makes it look like the coupe version.
Looks are subjective so everyone will have a different opinion on which one is the better looking car. But both cars are beautiful.

Technology:
GLE53
- MB has seriously stepped up their game with the infotainment system (MBUX) recently. I personally think this is the most intuitive and best looking system in the industry (some bias kicking in). I've played around with the Tesla, Audi, Porsche, BMW infotainment systems and other than the Tesla no one is really doing it better than MB right now. I would say Tesla and MB at the moment have the best infotainment systems in the industry easily. I might even say that MB possibly has a leg up on Tesla here too since there are 4 input methods for you to control the system (touchscreen, touchpad, wheel, and voice). The redundancy is a great feature especially when driving, it's much easier to control the system with the touchpad. Obviously with options you can get a lot more features but I like that the 53 already comes loaded with a bunch of features that are options on the Porsche such as blind spot and heated seats lol.
Cayenne - Just like the 53 you get a giant screen on the dash and two digital screen on the cluster separated by the tachometer. This is a really cool design and functional as well but it is not as configurable as the 53. You can have your map on the gauge cluster but there isn't much configurability here. You can see certain information like tire pressure and what not but you can't actually change the look of the cluster like you can in the 53. The infotainment system is nice. It is very intuitive and easy to use and it's pretty configurable with the tiles on the home screen. I like the climate controls around the gear selector but I'll go back to what I said earlier. I am not a fan of the black piano trim (fingerprint magnet), and it's not the most intuitive with the power button and the volume knob just above the gear selector. It's an awkward place to place them. Also, as everyone know everything is an option with the Porsche. The very base version of this car comes bare bones literally. You have to have the premium package just to get standard options that virtually every other car has.

Performance & Comfort
GLE53 - Obviously this is not the 63 so you're getting the inline 6 which honestly has a great amount of power. I will say I was surprised at the quickness of this big SUV. You could definitely feel the weight of this car but man was it fast. I love the new EQ technology which gives you virtually 0 lag. This was some of the smoother power delivery I have felt in a car. When I drove the X5 i would get whiplash every time I stepped on the gas. With this the power is also instant but so smooth and comfortable. MB once again hits it out of the park when it comes to comfort and luxury. This beast is not only decently fast but it's nice family hauler as well. Also it felt just a tad bit faster than the base Cayenne.
Cayenne - There's a reason Porsche's command the price that they do. This has to be hands down the sportiest SUV I have driven. It's true what they say "If you want a sports car but need an SUV, get the Cayenne". This thing handled like a dream. It was eating up corners like it was nothing. It is so responsive and agile that you wouldn't believe you're driving an SUV. It honestly felt sportier than my C350 which is supposed to be a "sport sedan". However, I could feel the turbo lag and was kind of dissapointed since it's a Porsche and that should be non-existent. The 53 crushed it with the new EQ technology. I felt no lag in there. Every time I pressed the pedal, that thing would rocket off the line. Also base Cayenne is a little slower than the AMG.

Overall, both cars are a dream. Both are beautiful cars and similarly priced with the Porsche being a tad bit more expensive. The thing about the Cayenne is that I can get one certified pre-owned and save some cash where as the 53, it is almost impossible to get a discount due to the high demand and low supply of the car. The 53 looks and feels its price where as the Cayenne seems to be lacking when it comes to the luxury department. The 53 in my opinion is a great value when compared to the Cayenne since you're getting that MB luxury and the sportiness of an AMG. But the Cayenne easily has the MB beat in terms of fun. Hoping to hear from owners that have lived with these cars for some time now and get some thoughts on your experiences with them.
The following users liked this post:
Hk91308 (01-02-2023)
Old 03-15-2021, 07:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 GLE 63S
Tough decision....Based on your description of both vehicles, it sounds to me like you would enjoy the luxury, tech and extra tech of the GLE a bit more than the extra sportiness of the Cayenne. I have never driven a Cayenne but in the past year I bought an X5M (too stiff for me but loved a lot about it) which I traded in for an X5 M50i (awesome vehicle but not an M or an AMG) which I then traded in for a GLE 63S which I LOVE. Personally, if I bought a base Cayenne, I would say to myself, why didn't I get the S version or the Turbo version if I saw them on the road. I like the extra power....I'm sure the GLE 53 is a great car but I haven't driven one. However, I love the interior and tech in the 63S which you will have in the 53. Maybe this is poor thinking but I feel special getting into an AMG or an M (cool factor LOL). Also, I would fear buying a used expensive, sporty SUV because I would always be wondering if the original owner(s) treated the car properly before it was mine (eg., proper engine break in, etc).

Having said all that, this sounds like you have a great choice to make and will be happy in either vehicle as they are both great cars. Best of luck and please let us know your decision.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:58 PM

2013 Mercedes Benz C350
Originally Posted by GlennC
Tough decision....Based on your description of both vehicles, it sounds to me like you would enjoy the luxury, tech and extra tech of the GLE a bit more than the extra sportiness of the Cayenne. I have never driven a Cayenne but in the past year I bought an X5M (too stiff for me but loved a lot about it) which I traded in for an X5 M50i (awesome vehicle but not an M or an AMG) which I then traded in for a GLE 63S which I LOVE. Personally, if I bought a base Cayenne, I would say to myself, why didn't I get the S version or the Turbo version if I saw them on the road. I like the extra power....I'm sure the GLE 53 is a great car but I haven't driven one. However, I love the interior and tech in the 63S which you will have in the 53. Maybe this is poor thinking but I feel special getting into an AMG or an M (cool factor LOL). Also, I would fear buying a used expensive, sporty SUV because I would always be wondering if the original owner(s) treated the car properly before it was mine (eg., proper engine break in, etc).

Having said all that, this sounds like you have a great choice to make and will be happy in either vehicle as they are both great cars. Best of luck and please let us know your decision.
Couldn't agree more with that last statement about that specialness of an AMG or an M. A base Cayenne is just that, a base Cayenne. I would probably feel buyers remorse seeing an S or Turbo on the road but those are kind of out of the budget for me anyway so I wouldn't feel too bad about it. I know MB kind of watered down the AMG brand but even the 53 still feels special with all the AMG bits and its plenty fast for what it is. The Cayenne does feel special too but there's something about the AMG. You are right, I would enjoy the tech and luxury a bit more than the sportiness of the Porsche. Plus the AMG just has the exhaust sound that no one else can seem to match at the price range even on a 6 cylinder. Either way I'm sure I'll be happy with whichever I go with.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,024 Likes on 3,161 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Beware the V167 GLE. There are many well documented problems with this vehicle. Read the V167 section of this site thoroughly before making a decision.

I participate both here and on Rennlist and to me the 9Y0 owners seem happier with their vehicles than the V167 owners. Internet forum - I get it. Everyone is free to draw their own conclusions.

I have owned VW products in the past, and MB is generally garbage compared to VW on as-delivered quality and long term reliability. If those things matter to you.
The following 2 users liked this post by chassis:
Hk91308 (01-02-2023), places (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by Vdhroso
Couldn't agree more with that last statement about that specialness of an AMG or an M. A base Cayenne is just that, a base Cayenne. I would probably feel buyers remorse seeing an S or Turbo on the road but those are kind of out of the budget for me anyway so I wouldn't feel too bad about it. I know MB kind of watered down the AMG brand but even the 53 still feels special with all the AMG bits and its plenty fast for what it is. The Cayenne does feel special too but there's something about the AMG. You are right, I would enjoy the tech and luxury a bit more than the sportiness of the Porsche. Plus the AMG just has the exhaust sound that no one else can seem to match at the price range even on a 6 cylinder. Either way I'm sure I'll be happy with whichever I go with.
Unfortunately the 53 is not a real AMG. 63 is the gig.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:40 AM

2013 Mercedes Benz C350
Originally Posted by chassis
Beware the V167 GLE. There are many well documented problems with this vehicle. Read the V167 section of this site thoroughly before making a decision.

I participate both here and on Rennlist and to me the 9Y0 owners seem happier with their vehicles than the V167 owners. Internet forum - I get it. Everyone is free to draw their own conclusions.

I have owned VW products in the past, and MB is generally garbage compared to VW on as-delivered quality and long term reliability. If those things matter to you.
You make a valid point and it's easier to believe especially since this is the first year of this new "AMG". It's a new hybrid/battery system and new features. I'm not surprised to hear about issues with the V167. To add to that I keep hearing about manufacturing delays and issues and MB not pumping these out which is a bit suspect in itself. I will say sometimes it's the luck of the draw. I could end up with a lemon or well built reliable car. I do keep my cars a long time and those are definitely important factors though I know if I'm looking at these types of cars I should be prepared for unreliability. I appreciate the heads up though. Definitely need to do a little more research. I will say I've had no major issues with my W204 but then again that's a totally different car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vdhroso:
chassis (03-16-2021), places (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
You make a valid point and it's easier to believe especially since this is the first year of this new "AMG". It's a new hybrid/battery system and new features. I'm not surprised to hear about issues with the V167. To add to that I keep hearing about manufacturing delays and issues and MB not pumping these out which is a bit suspect in itself. I will say sometimes it's the luck of the draw. I could end up with a lemon or well built reliable car. I do keep my cars a long time and those are definitely important factors though I know if I'm looking at these types of cars I should be prepared for unreliability. I appreciate the heads up though. Definitely need to do a little more research. I will say I've had no major issues with my W204 but then again that's a totally different car.
It's a coin flip.I have had good luck with pretty much all my MB vehicles but stayed clear of certain models on purpose. I remember the launch of the first ML had major issues similar to the 167's. If there is any doubt, go a different way. Too many options out there.
chassis (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 11:44 AM

2013 Mercedes Benz C350
Originally Posted by places
Unfortunately the 53 is not a real AMG. 63 is the gig.
Curious what makes an AMG real. Is it the power, the number of cylinders, the chassis, the handling, etc? Are we then saying the A45 or CLA45 aren't real AMGs either. I know the 63 is ***** to the wall when it comes to power and speed and that brutal exhaust but the "AMG lites", as some enthusiasts like to call them, are more than enough for some people. Like I said in earlier post, MB has watered down the AMG brand, but look where it's got them, best selling luxury brand in the US. Genius move to get people to enter the "AMG" market, eventually leaving those people such as myself wanting more (the real AMG). In the enthusiast sense, I agree the 53 is not a real AMG. In the normal person's perspective the 53 is as real AMG as the badge thats on it. What are people going to say when the new C63 comes out with a turbo 4? Is it still going to be a real AMG. Hypothetically, they come out with a C43 and C63 with the same engine but tuned differently. Do we say the C43 is not a real AMG cause it will have less power. I find this entire debate interesting and can see both sides of the coin.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,024 Likes on 3,161 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
AMG variants started as single-model-only. The watered down C43, E43, GLC43, GLE43 variants were inserted between the lowest one or two models, and the top AMG 63 models. Today's analogy are the 53 variants - E53, CLS53 and GLE53.

Classically a "true" AMG is the highest performance model in a platform. The nomenclature may change in the near future to "73", with incorporation of electric horsepower and the demise of V8 engines.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,219 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Hello all,
I have been perusing the MB and Porsche forums regarding the Cayenne and GLE53 to make an informed decision on my next vehicle. Was hoping to get some opinions on this forum on both cars. Being on the MB forum I'm sure there will be some bias (my own included). I've done a bunch of research and test driven both cars multiple times, every time leaving with a smile on my face since both are amazing vehicles. I've divided my thoughts on these cars in a few categories.
<snip>
Performance & Comfort
GLE53 - Obviously this is not the 63 so you're getting the inline 6 which honestly has a great amount of power. I will say I was surprised at the quickness of this big SUV. You could definitely feel the weight of this car but man was it fast. I love the new EQ technology which gives you virtually 0 lag. This was some of the smoother power delivery I have felt in a car. When I drove the X5 i would get whiplash every time I stepped on the gas. With this the power is also instant but so smooth and comfortable. MB once again hits it out of the park when it comes to comfort and luxury. This beast is not only decently fast but it's nice family hauler as well. Also it felt just a tad bit faster than the base Cayenne.
Cayenne - There's a reason Porsche's command the price that they do. This has to be hands down the sportiest SUV I have driven. It's true what they say "If you want a sports car but need an SUV, get the Cayenne". This thing handled like a dream. It was eating up corners like it was nothing. It is so responsive and agile that you wouldn't believe you're driving an SUV. It honestly felt sportier than my C350 which is supposed to be a "sport sedan". However, I could feel the turbo lag and was kind of dissapointed since it's a Porsche and that should be non-existent. The 53 crushed it with the new EQ technology. I felt no lag in there. Every time I pressed the pedal, that thing would rocket off the line. Also base Cayenne is a little slower than the AMG.

Overall, both cars are a dream. Both are beautiful cars and similarly priced with the Porsche being a tad bit more expensive. The thing about the Cayenne is that I can get one certified pre-owned and save some cash where as the 53, it is almost impossible to get a discount due to the high demand and low supply of the car. The 53 looks and feels its price where as the Cayenne seems to be lacking when it comes to the luxury department. The 53 in my opinion is a great value when compared to the Cayenne since you're getting that MB luxury and the sportiness of an AMG. But the Cayenne easily has the MB beat in terms of fun. Hoping to hear from owners that have lived with these cars for some time now and get some thoughts on your experiences with them.
Regarding performance, and that supple handling that German cars are known for - If you compare a base Cayenne to a base 53, it's pretty close. M-B has done a great job with the base 53 and IMO the handling nod goes to the base Cayenne.
However, if you add the Active Ride Control to the 53, it is head an shoulders above the Cayenne, both in handling and ride quality. The active sway bars are magical.
BUT if you add the Porsche suspension packages that include air and active sway bars (I forget the letter designation) to the base Cayenne, I'll bet it outclasses the 53.

I was hoping to find a base Cayenne with nothing added but the nice suspension bits, but nobody orders such a beast. So the only fancy suspension Cayenne I have driven is the Turbo S.
So in answer to your question, I think the AMG53 with ARC is a better all-around car, unless you spend (I think) around $30 - 40,000 for suspension upgrades.
Which I wasn't willing to do because I don't like the switches and interiors of Cayenne's any more.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:58 PM

2013 Mercedes Benz C350
Originally Posted by mikapen
Regarding performance, and that supple handling that German cars are known for - If you compare a base Cayenne to a base 53, it's pretty close. M-B has done a great job with the base 53 and IMO the handling nod goes to the base Cayenne.
However, if you add the Active Ride Control to the 53, it is head an shoulders above the Cayenne, both in handling and ride quality. The active sway bars are magical.
BUT if you add the Porsche suspension packages that include air and active sway bars (I forget the letter designation) to the base Cayenne, I'll bet it outclasses the 53.

I was hoping to find a base Cayenne with nothing added but the nice suspension bits, but nobody orders such a beast. So the only fancy suspension Cayenne I have driven is the Turbo S.
So in answer to your question, I think the AMG53 with ARC is a better all-around car, unless you spend (I think) around $30 - 40,000 for suspension upgrades.
Which I wasn't willing to do because I don't like the switches and interiors of Cayenne's any more.
In terms of handling and performance, I think the base Cayenne feels just a tad bit sportier because it is smaller and lower to the ground and weighs less helping it feel more like a sports car. In terms of straight line performance the 53 is faster and sounds so much better (but you gotta add the AMG performance exhaust). Also the 53 IMO just has the better interior with better quality materials and design. Looks are subjective but I think the 53 is the better looking SUV from the front. It just looks like it's ready to swallow any car in front of it whole. When looking at the total package, I gotta say the 53 is the winner here. Better tech, better interior, more luxury, more comfort, a little less sporty but not by much, and the sound. With that said I did put in an order for one recently. Looking at a July delivery date. Pretty excited to play around with it once it hits the dealer.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
GLE63 AMG
-Porsche has more brand prestige, but a person that cares about brand prestige also doesn't get a base model so negligible point
-the cayenne would handle better
-the GLE53 is faster/more HP
-they both look fantastic with the GLE53 being more aggressive since it is an AMG spec vs. a base cayenne
-both have good build quality but the Porsche probably slightly edges out the GLE53
-MBUX is the best infotainment system on the market, but I think the audi/porsche system is a close 2nd
-cayenne I think is slight smaller with interior/external dimensions? can be Pro or con depending on your needs...

conclusion: you can't go wrong with either choice
Hk91308 (01-02-2023)
Old 03-30-2021, 08:48 AM

2013 Mercedes Benz C350
Originally Posted by Atlanta AMG
-Porsche has more brand prestige, but a person that cares about brand prestige also doesn't get a base model so negligible point
-the cayenne would handle better
-the GLE53 is faster/more HP
-they both look fantastic with the GLE53 being more aggressive since it is an AMG spec vs. a base cayenne
-both have good build quality but the Porsche probably slightly edges out the GLE53
-MBUX is the best infotainment system on the market, but I think the audi/porsche system is a close 2nd
-cayenne I think is slight smaller with interior/external dimensions? can be Pro or con depending on your needs...

conclusion: you can't go wrong with either choice
Pretty much agree with all your points. Porsche definitely has more brand prestige which is why I think the people that do buy the base Cayenne are simply just trying to get in the brand because it is pretty lackluster for a lot of money. I personally could not see the value in that. You absolutely need to go S or higher with some options if you want a better Cayenne.
The 53 has a bit more character than a base cayenne and obviously is faster. Back to my previous point. You need an S at least to compare to the 53 with the Cayenne S obviously being faster.
As for looks, they can be subjective but both are beautiful cars, no argument there. However I do prefer the angrier look of the 53.
Build quality I think is pretty equal, but time will show who's truly better.
MBUX is hands down the best system on the market. Mercedes came a long way from COMAND which is a bit clumsy (I have it on my C class).
And yes the Cayenne is definitely smaller which helps it feel sportier, as opposed to the giant 53. Even with all that power you can feel the 53 is a big boy where as the Cayenne feels nimble and makes you forget you're in an SUV.

With all that said though, I went with a 53 seeing as it provides more for less money. Plus the base cayenne is just not as exciting as I was expecting a Porsche to be. But once you go to an S that's a whole different budget that I wasn't willing to entertain.
Hk91308 (01-02-2023)
Old 03-30-2021, 08:56 AM

GLE63 AMG
Pretty much agree with all your points. Porsche definitely has more brand prestige which is why I think the people that do buy the base Cayenne are simply just trying to get in the brand because it is pretty lackluster for a lot of money. I personally could not see the value in that. You absolutely need to go S or higher with some options if you want a better Cayenne.
The 53 has a bit more character than a base cayenne and obviously is faster. Back to my previous point. You need an S at least to compare to the 53 with the Cayenne S obviously being faster.
As for looks, they can be subjective but both are beautiful cars, no argument there. However I do prefer the angrier look of the 53.
Build quality I think is pretty equal, but time will show who's truly better.
MBUX is hands down the best system on the market. Mercedes came a long way from COMAND which is a bit clumsy (I have it on my C class).
And yes the Cayenne is definitely smaller which helps it feel sportier, as opposed to the giant 53. Even with all that power you can feel the 53 is a big boy where as the Cayenne feels nimble and makes you forget you're in an SUV.

With all that said though, I went with a 53 seeing as it provides more for less money. Plus the base cayenne is just not as exciting as I was expecting a Porsche to be. But once you go to an S that's a whole different budget that I wasn't willing to entertain.
nice! Congrats post up when you get it. Curious, what made you get the 43 amg vs. a 450 with amg package or 580?
Old 03-30-2021, 09:16 AM

2013 Mercedes Benz C350
Originally Posted by Atlanta AMG
nice! Congrats post up when you get it. Curious, what made you get the 43 amg vs. a 450 with amg package or 580?
Thanks, was given a July delivery date if all goes according to plan. There were quite a few reasons why I went with the 53 AMG as opposed to the 450 or 580. The 580 was out of question simply because of the price. While I would have loved a V8 with the options that I wanted it was going to be too much.
The main reason honestly was that the 53 had the AMG looks where as the other two don't. Yea you can get the AMG Line Interior and Exterior packages but it's not the same. You don't get the Panamericana grill on the other ones and you don't get the interior AMG bits inside such as the sport AMG wheel with the 12 o clock stripe and the red stitching and red seat belts (which I know some don't like but I personally like the look). Also the AMGs get the super sport gauge cluster display which non-AMG models don't get. Also I think only the 53 has the option for the AMG Performance Exhaust which gives you those crackles and pops (again which some people don't like but for me it was a big deal). Plus the 53 comes with a few features that are standard on the 53 but options on the 450 such as the blind spot monitoring and the burmester sound system (not the 3D high end one) and the AIRMATIC suspension. Once I spec'd out the 450 with the AMG looks (interior and exterior) and the features that come standard on the 53, the price came out to be extremely close (within 3k). At that point I said I'll just go for the 53. Plus the 53 is just faster and more exciting and you get a Sport+ setting that you don't get in the non-AMG model which really stiffens the suspension making it feel a bit more sporty.
brad_saggy (03-17-2022)
Old 03-30-2021, 11:39 PM

GLE63 AMG
Thanks, was given a July delivery date if all goes according to plan. There were quite a few reasons why I went with the 53 AMG as opposed to the 450 or 580. The 580 was out of question simply because of the price. While I would have loved a V8 with the options that I wanted it was going to be too much.
The main reason honestly was that the 53 had the AMG looks where as the other two don't. Yea you can get the AMG Line Interior and Exterior packages but it's not the same. You don't get the Panamericana grill on the other ones and you don't get the interior AMG bits inside such as the sport AMG wheel with the 12 o clock stripe and the red stitching and red seat belts (which I know some don't like but I personally like the look). Also the AMGs get the super sport gauge cluster display which non-AMG models don't get. Also I think only the 53 has the option for the AMG Performance Exhaust which gives you those crackles and pops (again which some people don't like but for me it was a big deal). Plus the 53 comes with a few features that are standard on the 53 but options on the 450 such as the blind spot monitoring and the burmester sound system (not the 3D high end one) and the AIRMATIC suspension. Once I spec'd out the 450 with the AMG looks (interior and exterior) and the features that come standard on the 53, the price came out to be extremely close (within 3k). At that point I said I'll just go for the 53. Plus the 53 is just faster and more exciting and you get a Sport+ setting that you don't get in the non-AMG model which really stiffens the suspension making it feel a bit more sporty.
I agree, great points. I think the 53 is the sweet spot between price and value. I haven't been in a 167 yet but I hope to experience one sometime.
Old 01-02-2023, 03:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
04' CLK, 09 997.2 GTS, 22 992 C4S
Great thread when my search came across this …at a decision making point btw the GLE 53 and a Cayenne S. Thanks all for the posts here , especially OP.