GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

AMG Active Ride Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 GLE 53 AMG SUV
AMG Active Ride Control

Hi - I'm ordering a 2024 GLE 53 W4 and have a few questions about a $2,800 option called AMG Active Ride Control. Could someone please explain what this? I will mainly just be using this SUV for highway driving, but if it improves the ride, I might be interested in adding it to my build. Thanks for your help!
Old 06-02-2023, 08:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,641 Likes on 2,245 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by EPDRB
Hi - I'm ordering a 2024 GLE 53 W4 and have a few questions about a $2,800 option called AMG Active Ride Control. Could someone please explain what this? I will mainly just be using this SUV for highway driving, but if it improves the ride, I might be interested in adding it to my build. Thanks for your help!
Yes you would want that, it is a pretty much no brainer option, it improves the ride and handling and you can also make it stiff at the same time when you want sportiness. https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...775bd29c26.png
Old 06-03-2023, 09:19 AM

2024 GLE 53 AMG SUV
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Yes you would want that, it is a pretty much no brainer option, it improves the ride and handling and you can also make it stiff at the same time when you want sportiness. https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...775bd29c26.png
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a great option to have. I noticed it's not an available option on the GLE 53 Coupe, so it must me standard equipment? My best friend has a 2022 GLE 53 (non Coupe). I looked at his window sticker and it has AMG Ride Control + Suspension based on Airmatic and AMG Dynamic Select System. These were standard features on his vehicle. Is this basically the same thing as AMG Ride Control on the 2024 model?
Old 06-03-2023, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,918 Likes on 2,619 Posts
2019 C63CS
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a great option to have. I noticed it's not an available option on the GLE 53 Coupe, so it must me standard equipment? My best friend has a 2022 GLE 53 (non Coupe). I looked at his window sticker and it has AMG Ride Control + Suspension based on Airmatic and AMG Dynamic Select System. These were standard features on his vehicle. Is this basically the same thing as AMG Ride Control on the 2024 model?
No, AMG Ride Control+ and AMG Active Ride Control are not the same. The former is the standard brand name AMG gives to their performance adaptive suspensions. AMG Active Ride Control is an upgrade that adds active roll stabilization. I don't know how the options have changed for the new 2024 model, but for the 2023 coupe, AMG Active Ride Control is not standard at least in the USA. Things could be different in other markets.

The following users liked this post:
mikapen (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 12:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

You're welcome and no, like forum member superswiss explained in much better detail, please see his reply above.
Old 06-03-2023, 12:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,970 Likes on 3,120 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
It is a 48V electric motor + planetary gears installed between two halves of each stabilizer bar. The motor+gears serves as a torque source which acts upon commands from software which receives information from sensors on the vehicle.

The vehicle effect is to reduce body roll and improve ride comfort depending upon driving conditions.

Porsche uses the substantially identical system and labels it PDCC.

Both Porsche and MB previously used a hydraulically-based system to deliver the same vehicle function, which today is delivered by the 48V electric motor + planetary gears arrangement.
Old 06-03-2023, 01:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by chassis
It is a 48V electric motor + planetary gears installed between two halves of each stabilizer bar. The motor+gears serves as a torque source which acts upon commands from software which receives information from sensors on the vehicle.

The vehicle effect is to reduce body roll and improve ride comfort depending upon driving conditions.

Both Porsche and MB previously used a hydraulically-based system to deliver the same vehicle function, which today is delivered by the 48V electric motor + planetary gears arrangement.
Ah yes, Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control. See what I did there?
chassis (06-03-2023)
Old 06-03-2023, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,192 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan

That's correct, although Porsche's PDCC feels less effective than the AMG Ride Control, even though it's a lighter car.

Audi has a similar suspension as well, but I've never found one to drive. Together with the required packages, it adds about $25k to the price. Porsche's is more ala carte.

Both the Audi and Porsche get their 48 volts from 12vDC to 48vDC converter, where MB's 48v comes directly from the ISG, Inline Starter Generator.

There was a software update on my ARC last Fall, which reduced roll resistance a bit, and some of the crispness. I haven't done any comparison drives since.
Old 05-18-2024, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gle53
Seeking expert advice

Is it a good idea to purchase a 2021 amg gle 53 coupe with active ride control that has only 1200 miles on it? Cant imagine a car 3 yrs old only driven like 400 miles a year.Someone said the due to lack of driving, the O rings might have deteriorated and might be bad. Its being sold as mercedes CPO. What are your thoughts on this?
Old 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by Vbrooklyn007
Is it a good idea to purchase a 2021 amg gle 53 coupe with active ride control that has only 1200 miles on it? Cant imagine a car 3 yrs old only driven like 400 miles a year.Someone said the due to lack of driving, the O rings might have deteriorated and might be bad. Its being sold as mercedes CPO. What are your thoughts on this?
Sounds like the find of the decade! It makes the car much more desirable IMO.

I don't think I'd worry about seals with this new car, especially if it's under both the new and CPO warranties.

If the rest of the car is close to what you're looking for, I'd say try to buy it.
Old 05-18-2024, 08:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,970 Likes on 3,120 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Very low mileage can be more problematic than very high mileage, for the same model year vehicle. Disuse is not good for rubber and plastic parts.

I would give the car a very thorough inspection underneath and in the engine bay with the engine cover removed. I don't trust MB CPO, many stories on this site of nightmare experiences to get covered repairs covered.
BlownV8 (05-18-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 06:12 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
V167
Our 21 GLE63S is CPO. Not sure what to say except that it is back in the shop again. Something has needed going in about every 5k miles. CPO does not mean it won't be spending time at the dealer. They also mentioned once the original warranty expires some things will not be covered by CPO as they will be considered "normal" wear such as the seats. They have so far addressed every issue and provided a new C300 loaner each time. Sometimes it takes weeks to get another appointment. The software does seem to function quicker, tranny smoother and I do like the newer MBUX in the loaner 24 over our 21 but it is an entirely different vehicle.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sparky66
Our 21 GLE63S is CPO. Not sure what to say except that it is back in the shop again. Something has needed going in about every 5k miles. CPO does not mean it won't be spending time at the dealer. They also mentioned once the original warranty expires some things will not be covered by CPO as they will be considered "normal" wear such as the seats. They have so far addressed every issue and provided a new C300 loaner each time. Sometimes it takes weeks to get another appointment. The software does seem to function quicker, tranny smoother and I do like the newer MBUX in the loaner 24 over our 21 but it is an entirely different vehicle.
You're comparing a new C300 to a '21 GLE63? Yes they are different.
It sounds like you're saying that all Mercedes will be in the shop every 5,000 miles.
I don't think that's the case.

But "wear items" aren't, and haven't been, covered under any warranty, CPO or not. Unless caused by another failure.

I never thought of seats as wear items, though. Could you expand on your post? Was that based on a statement made by someone trying to sell you an aftermarket breakdown insurance?
Old 05-22-2024, 09:44 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
V167
Originally Posted by mikapen
You're comparing a new C300 to a '21 GLE63? Yes they are different.
It sounds like you're saying that all Mercedes will be in the shop every 5,000 miles.
I don't think that's the case.

But "wear items" aren't, and haven't been, covered under any warranty, CPO or not. Unless caused by another failure.

I never thought of seats as wear items, though. Could you expand on your post? Was that based on a statement made by someone trying to sell you an aftermarket breakdown insurance?

I was not comparing the two vehicles but stating the latest MBUX seems more refined than the earlier to me as the poster mentioned looking at a used MB. I was pointing out the latest software seems improved to me.
The poster mentioned the vehicle they were interested in is CPO . I traded to a CPO 63 but CPO did not mean without issues for me. The seats one by one had stitching disappear. The exclusive diamond nappa seats. Every seat has been replaced other than the driver seat. All the three seats that stitching failed on were used very rarely. After the third seat stitching failed the service advisor said once the factory warranty ends and the CPO takes over the seat covers would not be covered as they would consider it wear and not defective.
I believe I saw that MB CPO is now 75k miles instead of the earlier CPO I have of two additional years unlimited mileage. So in 2k more miles or in seven months the factory warranty will no longer be in effect for mine.
Apologies for the long post. In summary I feel the newer MBUX is an improvement and CPO does not guarantee a problem free vehicle from my experience.
I hope this clarified my earlier post in sharing my experience.
mikapen (05-23-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,073 Likes on 860 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
How utterly disappointing but not shocking. I'll stick to my no MB's post 2019 stance.
chassis (05-22-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 02:06 AM

gle 43
❤️‍🔥

Last edited by Delgado; 07-02-2024 at 02:08 AM.