GLE63s, GLE63, GLE53 AMG SUV & Coupe (W166, W167) 2015 - Present (Two generations)

'25 GLE53 or GLE580?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 11:42 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes E63 AMG
'25 GLE53 or GLE580?

Apologizing in advance for instigating more comparison ****, realizing that much of what gets posted to these kinds of threads comes down to personal preferences. But in this case, I may need to make a purchase decision without the benefit of comparison test drives, due to my timeline and to the current unavailability on dealer lots of vehicles configured similarly enough to my candidate builds (perhaps most significantly, no ARC on ’24 GLE 53).

I am replacing a ‘19 X5 xDrive 40i DD. My non-driving-enthusiast wife, and I -- an E63 owner -- will both be driving it. Initial review of choices led to the usual suspects: X5 M60i, GLE 450, GLE 580, SQ7. Later included Range Rover Sport SE P360 and SE Dynamic P400. Fast forward, and with the help of folks like @mikapen , @superswiss and others (pardon if I missed you), I’ve narrowed the search down to the ‘25 GLE 580 and the GLE 53.

I’ve created detailed builds using the May 2024 DOGs, with supplemental info from @Eaton . They’re as apples-apples as I can make them.

I have the 580 configured with – among other things -- 21” AMG Multispoke Wheels (RWA), Pinnacle Trim (DX2), AMG Line Exterior (DG1), AMG Line Interior (DG2), AIRMATIC Package (DA2). With Nappa – as opposed to Exclusive Nappa, I believe this means it would come with Sport Seats (?) and the L5C AMG Sport Steering Wheel (without microfiber).

I have the 53 configured with – among other things -- 22” AMG Multispoke Wheels (RPG), Pinnacle Trim (DX2), AMG Active Ride Control (465). AMG Ride Control + (489), based on Airmatic, comes standard. Exclusive Nappa with Diamond Stitching. I think (?) it’d come with Multicontour Seats as part of DX2, and I spec’ed the L6K steering wheel (with microfiber).

I prefer the Panamera grill, tailpipes and diffuser of the 53. Its 22s also have a greater stagger. My wife could care less at that level of detail.

As I’ve come to understand, ARC (465) seems to have a rather profound impact on the ride quality of the 53. And it returns to the options lineup for the ’25 MY after an absence in ’24.

My E63 requires a level of engagement exceeding what my wife would be comfortable with. But candidly, I don’t want to put that kind of effort into a DD either. A full-up AMG would completely miss the mark I’m trying to hit.

So it seems like I can approach the problem from two angles:

One option is to ensure there’s a way of getting a comfortable ride out of the 53. How much of a challenge is this with the 22s I like? Will ARC be enough to provide a more mild-manner-ish driving experience that my wife would be more comfortable with? (This is my test-drive problem: there are no 53s with ARC on dealer lots, until the ’25 appears.) My 53 build prices out at $111,520.

Another is to ensure there’s a way of getting an enthusiast experience out of the 580. My 580 build prices out at $105,360. Net taxes, about $6,600 cheaper to drive off the lot vs the 53. Estimated $650 higher annual fuel and insurance cost.

FWIW... this will be a buy-and-hold purchase. Anticipating holding on to it for 7+ years.

I’ve read on these forums it may come down to choosing the 580 for torque, and the 53 for handling. Others say get a V8 ICE while you can. Another perspective could be: choose the 53 because of the aesthetic preferences I mentioned above. Yet another could be: I have my E63 for spirited driving, enthusiast issue solved, get the 580 for comfort-biased wife.

Notwithstanding that I’m blessed to have this problem, I’m truly torn. This is what can happen when trying to split hairs using only marketing info and paper specs. I lean 53, but I’ll have a colossal problem on my hands if its performance-bias and 22s make it unconformable to drive for my wife. (But damn… I like that Panamera grill!)

I’ve read each post on https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...gle-580-a.html , a substantially similar thread but one dealing almost exclusively with ’21 MY vehicles. Thinking there may have been material changes in the intervening four model years.

Hoping there are out there other enthusiast dudes married to non-enthusiast dudettes (or vice versa), who can either benefit from or offer informed advice on how to skin this cat. Thank you in advance for any counsel you can offer.

Last edited by Hammer212; 07-05-2024 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2024, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 637 Likes on 473 Posts
MB
Are there any used 580s or 53s you can test drive? It'll be better than nothing.
Old 07-05-2024, 12:24 PM

Received 209 Likes on 165 Posts
2024 GLE63s, 2021 E63s, 2018 GLC43
Have you test drove any GLE53 at all? Not sure that ARC is going to make it magic carpet smooth.

I do see what you're saying about DD a W212 E63 having owned one. The MCT and 7-speed transmission are rough at slow speeds, comfort mode starts off in 2nd year and still isn't easy going, and the suspension is stiff. This isn't true for the newer MCT and 9-speed, and the 4L V8 is different too. However, the GLE doesn't use a MCT. Nevertheless, I think you may find the GLE53 may be even more raucous and rough than your E63, I certainly didn't enjoy it.

For the price of your custom GLE53, I'd recommend going for the 580 or getting a deal on a 2024 GLE63 on the lot.

Also I'd recommend the acoustic comfort package.

Last edited by taphil; 07-05-2024 at 12:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hammer212 (07-18-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 12:35 PM

I agree for the most part of their conclusions. Go for cheaper V8 or full fat 63. 53 is a weird car - it's under-powered and rough. And gets too expensive approaching 63 pricing when you start adding options.

Last edited by taphil; 07-05-2024 at 12:37 PM.
Hammer212 (07-18-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 01:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
‘23 AMG 53
With regard to “ride comfort” on your configured 53 build, is opting for the 21” wheels on the table?
Coupeeee53 (07-18-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 12:44 AM

Mercedes E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Hammer212
I have the 580 configured with – among other things -- 21” AMG Multispoke Wheels (RWA), Pinnacle Trim (DX2), AMG Line Exterior (DG1), AMG Line Interior (DG2), AIRMATIC Package (DA2). With Nappa – as opposed to Exclusive Nappa, I believe this means it would come with Sport Seats (?) and the L5C AMG Sport Steering Wheel (without microfiber).
1. Well, looks like it's not an option to have both the AMG Line Interior (DG2) AND Pinnacle Trim (DX2), at least based on the '24 configurator. I choose DX2.

2. AMG Line Exterior (DG1) includes AMG Body Line Styling (772) and AMG Line Exterior (P31). Any chance the panamera grill, quad pipes, and rear diffuser are included in DG1? If definitely "yes," that could seal the deal on the 580.
Old 07-06-2024, 01:23 AM

Mercedes E63 AMG
Originally Posted by aces&eights
With regard to “ride comfort” on your configured 53 build, is opting for the 21” wheels on the table?
I'd be fine with 21" wheels if they were offered in a design on which I was keen, but unfortunately such is not the case. What bugs me about the 5-spoke and similar designs is that they expose the brake discs and calipers more than I'd like. On my E63, my brakes telegraph that the car is a wolf in sheep's clothing and showing them off is great. On the GLE 53, even with the U29 AMG High-Performance Braking System, the 21" wheels on offer reveal -- to my eye, anyway -- too much of the front-to-rear disc diameter difference, and the rears look downright small to me.

I've always gauged how much horse power is under the hood by looking at how much stopping power is at the corners. Not an especially compelling view on the 53, so had hoped to go with the 22s which do a nicer job of camouflaging the discs.

Last edited by Hammer212; 07-06-2024 at 01:54 AM.
Old 07-06-2024, 01:38 AM

Mercedes E63 AMG
Originally Posted by taphil
Have you test drove any GLE53 at all? Not sure that ARC is going to make it magic carpet smooth.

I do see what you're saying about DD a W212 E63 having owned one. The MCT and 7-speed transmission are rough at slow speeds, comfort mode starts off in 2nd year and still isn't easy going, and the suspension is stiff. This isn't true for the newer MCT and 9-speed, and the 4L V8 is different too. However, the GLE doesn't use a MCT. Nevertheless, I think you may find the GLE53 may be even more raucous and rough than your E63, I certainly didn't enjoy it.

For the price of your custom GLE53, I'd recommend going for the 580 or getting a deal on a 2024 GLE63 on the lot.

@taphil Thanks (again) for sharing your insights. You and I share a common reference point, as my E63 is a W212 also. You can relate to the source of my concern vsv my wife's comfort bias. These and your previous responses concerning the "raucous" and "rough" character you've experienced with your 53 are now influencing me away from the 53 and toward the 580... which oddly enough, is where this journey started.

I'd get another V8 out of that deal, and my wife would likely get an experience with which she'd be more comfortable... which is a benefit that would accrue to me also ;-). Would have to live without the panamera grill and rear end I prefer, but that'd be a good problem to have, right?

And yes, I have the DC5 Acoustic Comfort Package and other options included in both of my builds.

Last edited by Hammer212; 07-06-2024 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-06-2024, 01:42 AM

Mercedes E63 AMG
https://youtu.be/0onIxJ1YBAw?si=86rUk96lfGioCBxg

I agree for the most part of their conclusions. Go for cheaper V8 or full fat 63. 53 is a weird car - it's under-powered and rough. And gets too expensive approaching 63 pricing when you start adding options.
@taphil Thanks for the video link. The candor of non-fanboys is refreshing and helpful. They share your assessment that the 53 is a weird variant and recommend either going big, or small, and avoiding the middle that the 53 tries to occupy.

Last edited by Hammer212; 07-06-2024 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-06-2024, 01:51 AM

Mercedes E63 AMG
Originally Posted by wildta
Are there any used 580s or 53s you can test drive? It'll be better than nothing.
@wildta Hadn't thought of looking around for a pre-owned 53 configured with ARC, as I understand it had been available prior to MB pulling it for MY24. The tide seems to be breaking toward the 580. But to the extent I can manage some test drives (with properly-inflated tires) prior to needing to finalize the decision and place the order, I'll take your counsel. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2024, 09:26 AM

Mercedes E63 AMG
1. Well, looks like it's not an option to have both the AMG Line Interior (DG2) AND Pinnacle Trim (DX2), at least based on the '24 configurator. I choose DX2.

2. AMG Line Exterior (DG1) includes AMG Body Line Styling (772) and AMG Line Exterior (P31). Any chance the panamera grill, quad pipes, and rear diffuser are included in DG1? If definitely "yes," that could seal the deal on the 580.
@BACnMercedes Welcome to the '24 version of the thread you posted to in '21. Question: were you ever successful swapping out the 580 diamond grill for the 53 panamera grill? If so, would be grateful if you'd elaborate on the experience, e.g. cost, process, etc. Also, any chance you looked into porting the 53's rear diffuser and quad pipes over to your 580? Again, if so, would appreciate any helpful tips you may have to offer. Thanks!

Old 07-06-2024, 10:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 GLE 53 SUV
@taphil Thanks for the video link. The candor of non-fanboys is refreshing and helpful. They share your assessment that the 53 is a weird variant and recommend either going big, or small, and avoiding the middle that the 53 tries to occupy.
Why do you say the GLE 53 AMG is a "Weird variant?" For those who want the max performance out of MB's smooth i6 and avoid the vibrations and noise of a high powered V8 the 53 is the best choice. The 53's i6 configuration is a technical marvel delivering great performance and high linear acceleration, and is wonderful to drive IMO if you're happy with "only" 4.4-ish sec to 60. MPG is a big consideration too. My 2024 53 averages 23 mpg on highway and I have seen up to 28.

Last edited by RMiles; 07-06-2024 at 10:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RMiles:
AMMBGLE (07-06-2024), mikapen (07-07-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Hey. When I originally negotiated the deal the grill swap was part of it. When the car arrived the dealer said they tried but they couldn’t do it because it and an AMG grill were not direct swaps. Later on I’ve heard conflicting stories if a 53 and 580 could swap easily. So between that and a lot of other things, I’m now in a new SQ8.
Good luck.
Old 07-06-2024, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
I went back and read most of the thread now. (I didn’t know it went back further initially). I will add this. I had 63k mikes on the car when I got rid of it. After that many miles and a few others driving the car, all pretty much said the same thing. The 580 was a beast of an interstate travel car. It was smooth and had globs of power at those speeds. Around town with all the nanny crap, auto start stop constantly turning back on and the vibrating and shaking of the V8, it was not a good car. Hence another reason I got rid of it. We ordered and bought the 580 during Covid because we wanted a great family travel car and that’s where it shined. A lot of room in the front and back, storage and of course power.
We are not driving as much now when we travel, more airlines, so room wasn’t as big of a deal. So if I was in your shoes, I’d ask myself do I plan on around town this car the most or long interstate travels. Around town, the 53 and it’s aggressive looks are nice. Travel, the V8 all day long cause it will punish that 53 there.
I will also say this and I will step on a lot of toes. A huge factor for me was also that I’m not paying that much money for a 6 cylinder in a watered down AMG because MB just wants to make more money off marketing.
Good luck in your decision.
Old 07-06-2024, 01:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,465 Likes on 2,098 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
I went back and read most of the thread now. (I didn’t know it went back further initially). I will add this. I had 63k mikes on the car when I got rid of it. After that many miles and a few others driving the car, all pretty much said the same thing. The 580 was a beast of an interstate travel car. It was smooth and had globs of power at those speeds. Around town with all the nanny crap, auto start stop constantly turning back on and the vibrating and shaking of the V8, it was not a good car. Hence another reason I got rid of it. We ordered and bought the 580 during Covid because we wanted a great family travel car and that’s where it shined. A lot of room in the front and back, storage and of course power.
We are not driving as much now when we travel, more airlines, so room wasn’t as big of a deal. So if I was in your shoes, I’d ask myself do I plan on around town this car the most or long interstate travels. Around town, the 53 and it’s aggressive looks are nice. Travel, the V8 all day long cause it will punish that 53 there.
I will also say this and I will step on a lot of toes. A huge factor for me was also that I’m not paying that much money for a 6 cylinder in a watered down AMG because MB just wants to make more money off marketing.
I am going to assume, there was a reason you didn't want to turn off auto start/stop when you had the GLE 580.
Old 07-06-2024, 01:46 PM

Mercedes E63 AMG
Originally Posted by RMiles
Why do you say the GLE 53 AMG is a "Weird variant?" For those who want the max performance out of MB's smooth i6 and avoid the vibrations and noise of a high powered V8 the 53 is the best choice. The 53's i6 configuration is a technical marvel delivering great performance and high linear acceleration, and is wonderful to drive IMO if you're happy with "only" 4.4-ish sec to 60. MPG is a big consideration too. My 2024 53 averages 23 mpg on highway and I have seen up to 28.
Speaking for myself, the "weird" characterization of the 53 wasn't in any manner intended as a dis. Can't speak for others' use of that term. I used it as a shorthand way of referring to MB's attempt at crafting a Swiss Army knife of a vehicle and to the accounts of others that in so doing, MB made compromises. And for full-up AMG owners, appreciation of those compromises tends to be deeper.
Old 07-06-2024, 01:56 PM

Mercedes E63 AMG
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
@BACnMercedes Thanks for taking the time to respond and for your perspective. In the absence of hearing it's a slam-dunk to swap grills, I'll happily accept the bits that come with whatever model my wife and I choose. For us, DD will continue to mean 60% around town, 40% 2-hour interstate trips. Will take your perspective under advisement.
Old 07-06-2024, 03:10 PM

2024 GLE 53 SUV
Speaking for myself, the "weird" characterization of the 53 wasn't in any manner intended as a dis. Can't speak for others' use of that term. I used it as a shorthand way of referring to MB's attempt at crafting a Swiss Army knife of a vehicle and to the accounts of others that in so doing, MB made compromises. And for full-up AMG owners, appreciation of those compromises tends to be deeper.
Yes, I'm sure a true AMG Engine is thrilling. Having come from a Cayenne S I may have had a glimpse at that type of power, but for me it was at the expense of passenger comfort. Curious though if you could educate me on the compromises MB made on the 53 vs the full blown AMG 63.
Old 07-07-2024, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,598 Likes on 1,176 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Yes, I'm sure a true AMG Engine is thrilling. Having come from a Cayenne S I may have had a glimpse at that type of power, but for me it was at the expense of passenger comfort. Curious though if you could educate me on the compromises MB made on the 53 vs the full blown AMG 63.
Very few.
The V8, ARC, 3D Burmester are not available on the 53 at the moment.
Plus more equipment is standard on a 63.
With the loss of the ARC, lightweight forged aluminum suspension bits revert to steel. Otherwise no difference.

Today's Cayenne S model is an interesting car. They HAD TO HAVE A V8, so they put their second most potent engine (the 2.9 V6 - stronger than the S V8) in the Macan. Good marketing because people prefer the lower performance V8 over a "lowly" V6. Even with less performance.

There's nothing at all wrong with the very impressive MB 3L straight six, except that it doesn't say "8." I bought the 53 for its exceptional engine and ARC.

In all cases it does what I look for in a car - responds immediately to all my inputs with no wasted motion. Bonus is that rides well with the ARC. Needs more seat bolsters for the G forces it produces at the track.

It's a pure AMG except for the first items.
RMiles (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 07:09 PM

Received 133 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 GLE63S - Edition 55
I went from a 450 directly to a 63 after test driving the 53 extensively. I full agree that a loaded 53 almost approaches the price of a 63 and you get a true hand crafted engine plus a ton more. The v8 is butter smooth, there is no vibration and the exhaust tone puts a smile on my face every day. Surprisingly, the fuel economy is very similar to my 450 when I drive normally, it gets better fuel economy when towing or carrying a lot of cargo. The 6 would struggle and that was reflected in the fuel economy. Given all the special AMG upgrades, the 63 is certainly worth the additional premium.
Old 07-08-2024, 09:21 AM

2024 GLE 53 SUV
Apologizing in advance for instigating more comparison ****, realizing that much of what gets posted to these kinds of threads comes down to personal preferences. But in this case, I may need to make a purchase decision without the benefit of comparison test drives, due to my timeline and to the current unavailability on dealer lots of vehicles configured similarly enough to my candidate builds (perhaps most significantly, no ARC on ’24 GLE 53).

I am replacing a ‘19 X5 xDrive 40i DD. My non-driving-enthusiast wife, and I -- an E63 owner -- will both be driving it. Initial review of choices led to the usual suspects: X5 M60i, GLE 450, GLE 580, SQ7. Later included Range Rover Sport SE P360 and SE Dynamic P400. Fast forward, and with the help of folks like @mikapen , @superswiss and others (pardon if I missed you), I’ve narrowed the search down to the ‘25 GLE 580 and the GLE 53.

I’ve created detailed builds using the May 2024 DOGs, with supplemental info from @Eaton . They’re as apples-apples as I can make them.

I have the 53 configured with – among other things -- 22” AMG Multispoke Wheels (RPG), Pinnacle Trim (DX2), AMG Active Ride Control (465). AMG Ride Control + (489), based on Airmatic, comes standard. Exclusive Nappa with Diamond Stitching. I think (?) it’d come with Multicontour Seats as part of DX2, and I spec’ed the L6K steering wheel (with microfiber).

I prefer the Panamera grill, tailpipes and diffuser of the 53. Its 22s also have a greater stagger. My wife could care less at that level of detail.

As I’ve come to understand, ARC (465) seems to have a rather profound impact on the ride quality of the 53. And it returns to the options lineup for the ’25 MY after an absence in ’24.

My E63 requires a level of engagement exceeding what my wife would be comfortable with. But candidly, I don’t want to put that kind of effort into a DD either. A full-up AMG would completely miss the mark I’m trying to hit.

So it seems like I can approach the problem from two angles:

One option is to ensure there’s a way of getting a comfortable ride out of the 53. How much of a challenge is this with the 22s I like? Will ARC be enough to provide a more mild-manner-ish driving experience that my wife would be more comfortable with? (This is my test-drive problem: there are no 53s with ARC on dealer lots, until the ’25 appears.) My 53 build prices out at $111,520.

Another is to ensure there’s a way of getting an enthusiast experience out of the 580. My 580 build prices out at $105,360. Net taxes, about $6,600 cheaper to drive off the lot vs the 53. Estimated $650 higher annual fuel and insurance cost.

FWIW... this will be a buy-and-hold purchase. Anticipating holding on to it for 7+ years.

I’ve read on these forums it may come down to choosing the 580 for torque, and the 53 for handling. Others say get a V8 ICE while you can. Another perspective could be: choose the 53 because of the aesthetic preferences I mentioned above. Yet another could be: I have my E63 for spirited driving, enthusiast issue solved, get the 580 for comfort-biased wife.

Notwithstanding that I’m blessed to have this problem, I’m truly torn. This is what can happen when trying to split hairs using only marketing info and paper specs. I lean 53, but I’ll have a colossal problem on my hands if its performance-bias and 22s make it unconformable to drive for my wife. (But damn… I like that Panamera grill!)

I’ve read each post on https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...gle-580-a.html , a substantially similar thread but one dealing almost exclusively with ’21 MY vehicles. Thinking there may have been material changes in the intervening four model years.

Hoping there are out there other enthusiast dudes married to non-enthusiast dudettes (or vice versa), who can either benefit from or offer informed advice on how to skin this cat. Thank you in advance for any counsel you can offer.

I am confused by your post. The 2024 53 DOES have AMG Ride Control with Airmatic suspension--at least mine does. It corners better than any car i've driven. There is virtually no roll and the car levels itself around curves. It is quite smooth over rough terrain too. Mine has 21" wheels.
Old 07-08-2024, 09:54 AM

Mercedes E63 AMG
I am confused by your post. The 2024 53 DOES have AMG Ride Control with Airmatic suspension--at least mine does. It corners better than any car i've driven. There is virtually no roll and the car levels itself around curves. It is quite smooth over rough terrain too. Mine has 21" wheels.
Perhaps you are confused, as I was, about the ARC nomenclature. This thread is very informative. In particular, would point you here and here for excellent explanations.

Last edited by Hammer212; 07-08-2024 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-08-2024, 10:14 AM

2024 GLE 53 SUV
Perhaps you are confused, as I was, about the ARC nomenclature. This thread is very informative. In particular, would point you here and here for excellent explanations.
Interesting, thanks for sharing! So AMG Ride Control with Airmatic has everything ARC has except that unlike ARC the anti-roll bars are fixed and can't be decoupled. Less hardware to break down, but although I'm thrilled with the cornering I wonder if the ARC would make her smoother over rough terrain without sacrificing performance? My 53 is quite acceptably smooth over rough terrain but does not make rough terrain completely unnoticeable. My wife certainly appreciates the ride quality now compared with the Cayenne.
Old 07-08-2024, 12:46 PM

Mercedes E63 AMG
@taphil I yesterday walked the lot of a local dealer and happened upon the pictured GLE 350 that unfortunately was missing its window sticker (and it was Sunday, dealership closed, no one to ask). Trying to determine: are the heavily-tinted front-row side windows part of the acoustic comfort package? Most commonly, I believe driven by some states' law, windshield and driver and front-row passenger side window darkening is noticeably less than what is done on the rest of the vehicle. I like the more uniform darkening, for both aesthetic and functional reasons. I've got the package in my builds and will get it regardless, but was just curious if this darkening will be a pleasantly unexpected bonus.

Old 07-08-2024, 12:52 PM

That looks tinted. The factory acoustic glass on the window isn't really any darker than regular glass.
Hammer212 (07-08-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '25 GLE53 or GLE580?