GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

comfort or sport?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
Question comfort or sport?

so i read in the manual that for the first 1000 miles one should keep the gear selector in "C"(comfort). well after 2 months and 10 days i'm at 1130 miles. is there a noticable difference between comfort and sport? the manual says higher shift points but does it really matter. i don't beat on the car, i just enjoy driving it. when i merge onto the expressway i get up and go, but i never really hit it? does keeping it in sport offer faster downshifts and quicker off line acceleration?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
If you enjoy driving in a relaxed manner than Comfort mode is for you. You will continue to get smooth shifts as well as better gas mileage than sport mode. If you do decide to use Sport mode you will notice a dramatic difference in the way your GLK shifts. There is more power available due to the fact that the transmission holds the gear longer which alows the motor to hit higher revs. The negative side to this is that your gas mileage will go down . Also take note that the transmission learns your driving style and adapts to that style. If you always drive slow in Sport mode it will learn to shift at lower rpms and you won't feel a big difference. So what I do is use Comfort mode for daily driving and Sport mode for those times I want to have a little more fun. That way I can hit Sport mode and it shifts at much higher rpms.

Last edited by GLK4MATIC; 05-02-2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Yea that right on point. Def. can see big difference. I also noted that it keeps lower gear in S when rolling down the hill. My old car would just go in neutral and I would roll. In GLK I find myself pushing gas pedal rolling down the hill, because the car does engine breaking. In C it's still in gear, but the gear is higher.

In MB, it's more like C=Comfort, S=Normal. Unless I'm cruising around town at 30mph speeds, I don't like C at all, it upshifts too fast and keeps RPM's around 1500.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK
I agree with the above. But please look again and mind the suspension in sport mode. It is more taught!bobbing up and down tighter and does not float as much. I did not believe it at first thinking it was my head. But I tested both modes in a more controlled environment and DO notice a difference. Even the holes and ripples on the road are are felt with a tighter rebound. Try it and let me know. I believe that this is that active suspension/dampeners. If not, I must be crazy.
Don
Old 05-02-2009, 02:06 AM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by dmercado
I agree with the above. But please look again and mind the suspension in sport mode. It is more taught!bobbing up and down tighter and does not float as much. I did not believe it at first thinking it was my head. But I tested both modes in a more controlled environment and DO notice a difference. Even the holes and ripples on the road are are felt with a tighter rebound. Try it and let me know. I believe that this is that active suspension/dampeners. If not, I must be crazy.
Don
active dampeners is on all times. In US, we don't have the agility package which is what you have described. There is a separate button for that, different than the c/s which only controls the shift timing.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
+1, C vs. S doesn't affect suspension in US. The only explanation I have is that if you start driving harder in S, the suspension will adjust as well. But I don't think in has to do anything with the C/S button.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 AM

GLK
I hear you. I did some searches on the web and I do not see any specific information about suspension regarding C vs. S. But rather the agility portion in the suspension being completely automated.

Again, however, I can see the difference over bumps when I toggle on and off - even at a stand still when I toggle between C vs. S, I do feel like the suspension honkers down a bit, at least feel some kind of light bump - could be the tranny. I will try again. But do check on your side for me. Would like to see if Canadian owners, feel what I am feeling.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:45 AM

528i, GLK
do a search on w204 forum, its been discussed over and over.