GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Popping noise uncovers manufacturing problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GLK
Popping noise uncovers manufacturing problem

I purchased a new 2010 GLK in April. About 1-1/2 months into owning the car, I heard a popping noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. I took the car into servicing on June 30th and technicians quickly found and acknowledged the noise. It turns out - after taking apart the passenger side rear cargo paneling - that some tack welding on the frame did not take place during car assembly in Germany.

This is causing two metal pieces to rub and pop while driving the vehicle. An MBUSA chassis technician had to visit the dealership's service department to view the problem. It has taken MBUSA until July 10th to offer a possible repair solution and they still aren't confident this will work 100%.

So beware you fellow GLK owners, if you purchased from the first few production lots you could possibly be driving around with the same problem. Although the dealership has been truthful regarding the situation, I am none too happy with my MB experience. I switched from owning BMWs over the past 10 years and never had a problem with build quality and workmanship like I am now 3 months into owning my first MB.

I would like to find out if any of you have experienced this same type of problem and if so, how was the matter resolved.

By the way, I have been in a rental car now for over 1 week and I'm still working with my dealership’s service department and MBUSA on finding a suitable solution.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:40 PM

GLK 350
I am really sorry to hear your experience.. I hope they can come to a resolution quickly and ensure that safety is not compromised. If it can't be fixed with a 100% assuarance, I don't know if there is a way to classify it as a lemon.

Most members on the forum have not stated anything close to your. The only noise I have heard is a pop in the dash, and is extremely faint.

Please keep us all posted on the fix, and best of luck.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:13 AM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
sorry for all headaches! did you order your glk? if they are unsure about the repair, demand a new glk. tell them "you are not confident in the integrity of the repair and this is your life at stake" and it's only 2 months old? where in texas are you? what dealer did you go to? are you in a rental or a dealer loaner?(c-class)
i can also feel your pain, the first month i owned my glk, it was in the shop 3 times for the power tailgate. they had to replace the motor from people messing with it when it was on the showroom floor. forcing it up and down. now it works great!
Old 07-11-2009, 03:28 PM

528i, GLK
that sucks,

How does the rub/pop sound? hollow metal sounds? echoing pings?

Are they apparent?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Wow this does suck. Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

This is just bad luck and could have happened to any other brand. I'm not very familiar with lemon law but I would talk to a lawyer and try to lemon the car and get brand new one.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:39 AM

M-B GLE, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche Boxster (spouse)
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
I'm not very familiar with lemon law but I would talk to a lawyer and try to lemon the car and get brand new one.
Might be worth a try if there's any reason to believe the structural integrity of the vehicle might be compromised. But I'd be prepared to spend lots of $$$ up front if MB resists (and they will because of the precedent it would set).

Lawyer retainer and engineering analysis won't be cheap unless the firm has reason to believe this is widespread enough to warrant a class action against MB for a particular production run. But since yours is the first/only report I've seen, you may be the unlucky victim of an isolated QC oversight who'll have to go it alone or be satisfied with a "fix."
Old 07-13-2009, 01:20 PM

2010 GLK
Sound was more apparent during in-city driving, ie. rougher roads, driveways, parking lots. During freeway driving, smoother roads, the noise was faint but still very much there.

Noise sounded almost like the tailgate was not securely shut and it was hitting up against the car.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:29 PM

2010 GLK
in Houston, MB of Greenway was the dealership. I'm in a C-class loaner.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
on a bright side you are putting all these miles on MB that you don't own...hehe...I'm sure C class is not bad esp. since it's summer.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:16 PM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
that's the same dealer i went to. it's close to my house. they should take care of ya.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 PM

528i, GLK
Originally Posted by TexasCielo
Sound was more apparent during in-city driving, ie. rougher roads, driveways, parking lots. During freeway driving, smoother roads, the noise was faint but still very much there.

Noise sounded almost like the tailgate was not securely shut and it was hitting up against the car.
hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I heard something like that too, its more like plastic pops. it sounded like i have something in the trunk except I didn't. so I stopped and adjusted the collapsible crate, sound went away... is it plastic sound?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:45 PM

GLK 350
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
on a bright side you are putting all these miles on MB that you don't own...hehe...I'm sure C class is not bad esp. since it's summer.
Interesting sarcasm... Pretty sure he would like his brand new car back without any problems...
Old 07-15-2009, 12:02 AM

GLK 4matic
Hope your problem gets fixed...thanks for letting everyone know....BP
Old 07-15-2009, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by Baby G
Interesting sarcasm... Pretty sure he would like his brand new car back without any problems...
not sarcasm just trying to find positives in everything, makes life less frustrating
Old 12-09-2013, 01:05 PM

None
Was this ever resolved? I just noticed that sound on my car this morning. What happened?
Old 12-13-2013, 06:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2010 Mercedes GLK 350, 2001 BMW Z3 3.0 Roadster, 1997 Cherokee XJ
Sad to hear about the issue which IMO is very strange. Apparently this is a failure in the assembly process & not an engineering concern. As a BMW owner along with our GLK, let it be known that BMW has had their issues also, albeit of a more serious nature. Z3's & their brethren (sedans) which share suspension bits & more have been known to have the differential mounting fail which is a major pita to repair as it involves the unibody structure! Good luck & keep everyone posted of the outcome.