GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

CABIN NOISE GALORE!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Nissan GT-R BE / '12 Ducati-1199 Panigale S / '12 C300-4M Loaded/GLK350-4M Loaded
CABIN NOISE GALORE!!

I took my wife’s GLK out for a drive last night and was stunned to hear how noisy the interior has become. Not to be insulting, but all the squeaks, rattles and buzzing reminded me of my friends Dodge Caliber...
(must be that shared engineering they had for awhile) and he has 10x the miles on the OD than my wife does. Even the interior door handles squeak and creek as you grab onto them to close or open the door… and the entire dash buzzes at every little bump or when playing up the Harmon/Kardon… what a buzzing rattle box!

Shame on you Mercedes Benz! Anyone else with these issues?

Last edited by MBRedux; 04-13-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
same as on day one here, after 9k miles on bumpy NJ roads. The only noise I've heard was in very cold temps.

As far as door handle, some people reported similar issues and it was fixed by the dealer adding extra lube that was underapplied at factory (that's how fix was described).
Old 04-13-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GLK350
we had the door grab handle noise since picking the car up (1 month ago). Dont have time to take it in and probably will just let it slide since I don't want a ghetto fix. Power tail gate took a couple times to close yesturday too. It would almost close and then open again.

I read a lot about how solid and quiet this car is suppose to be but honestly compare to the other 2 cars in the family, it's just average. My dad's 09TL is significantly more quiet, The GLK replaced a 06 MDX and isn't much quieter (maybe just road noise is a bit better). It's only quieter than the 06 CSX i use to drive but it should be given it's 20K more expensive. And honesly, the door sounds like crap when it closes compare to the Acura's solid thud. It's a "better" car no doubt but it just doens't wow (cept it looks awsome) expecially when it's the most expensive car in the house. I love the car, but at the end ofthe day, i realized a MB is just like any other car...
Old 04-13-2010, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Barolo Red-Almond/Black GLK 350, 2008 Cadillac Gold Mist LUX III DTS
No change since buying it.
Much Quieter than our Murano (Which cost more) and about as quiet as my Cadillac (Which cost more) and about the same as my neighbors MDX (Which cost more)

Still Flawless.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 CLA Motorsport Edition, 2015 G550, 2012 GLK350
Ours is still nice and quiet.

I've never really noticed an overpriced Honda's "solid thud", next time I ride in one I will have to take note.....
Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 PM

GLK350
yeah, do'nt take it the wrong way though. The GLK like all recent generation MBs are solid but it should be given its price. I love the car and that's why I got it over others. In general, Honda/Acura's have more interior rattles. I was only speaking about the feeling of closing the door. It sounds more solid (we have MDX, TL, CSX in the household). I also noted that wind noise is noticeable but that may be magnified by the much lower "road noise" compare to the Acuras. At the end of the day. The Acura's are cheaper so it's easier to be forgiving.

in regrds to the GLK, the door pull noise is a major oversight IMO, ditto the non lighted door reflectors, the door ajar alarm that only goes on after you drive off etc. I'm man enough to accept that the GLK has shortcomings and am not blinded by the logo on the hood. just being honest with my assessment since I've owned multiple brands.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:56 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 CLA Motorsport Edition, 2015 G550, 2012 GLK350
It is a model in its first year of production so I guess I give it a chance. Also my visual acuity is not debilitated by the silver three pointed star.

Ok I confess, I have a hatred of Honda.... My mother-in-law insist on having one, and it is a money pit. I won't bore you with the gory stuff.

The thing that sold me on MB is the service, not necessarily the cars... Use to be a die hard GM fan.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:07 AM

GLK350
well I absolutely love the car everytime I drive it. It feels solid going down the road. It's also really smooth given the big wheels. basically I feel safe in it. The actual cost of ownership seems pretty decent given the long intervals between service and despite the gazillion motors and things that could break, i think MB has really picked up their quality since the new C class. happy motoring