GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Does iPod interface kit work with iPhone (Pandora streaming)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK350
Does iPod interface kit work with iPhone (Pandora streaming)?

Hi, I do not have the Media interface, but want to buy and install the ipod interface. The link below shows the kit, and in the description it says it will work with an iphone.

Does anyone know if you can stream from youtube or pandora and play through the speaker system? (I've tried this in a friends Toyota RAV4 who has nav and ipod connection and it worked fine).

Also, is the only option to have the wire ran to the glove box or is there flexibility to run it elsewhere? Glovebox would be most convenient with an ipod, but since it will be from my iphone I'd like it to be more accessible while I'm driving (cupholder or something).

Thanks for the help!

http://mercedespartspeople.com/Searc...edia+Interface
Old 02-18-2011, 11:16 AM

GLK350
Hmm.. no one has any experience with this topic? I'd love to know if it would work before buying and installing everything. The website I posted only posts the specs of the device which don't address this topic.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350
I have the Media Interface and the iPod cable. With mine you can not stream audio. Basically the iPod acts like a music storage device with the Media Interface playing songs from it. Everything is directed via the Media Interface.

As soon as I start Pandora, it plays for 2 seconds and then goes back to playing iPod music.

Only way I can stream Pandora is to do so via the 3.5 mm cable (plugged into the Aux) and let the iPhone 'control' which music is played.

Last edited by n8nu; 02-19-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
I don't have an iPod or iPhone but when I plug my Blackberry headset out into the Aux in Pandora plays just fine.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:48 AM

2011 GLK 350
I have just the standard audio equipment and added the ipod adapter for $3?? which sits in the glove box. I always had my ipod touch hooked up to it and was able to control it through the steering wheel and the graphic readout in the speedometer. Yet if i wanted to control it through the ipod i had to physically unplug it, make a selection, and then reconnect it.

Then 2 weeks ago i got the iphone and connected it. I can now directly control the iphone while it is plugged in since the screen stays the same and does not change to a MB default screen. So you can still access all of your apps/contacts/messages...etc without unplugging it. Pandora and all of my other music playing apps work without a problem as long as you have a good enough phone signal, which i havent had a problem yet (Verizon).

Hope this helps
Old 04-09-2011, 08:28 AM

GLK350 4Matic
Hi hornikel,

I just got the iPod integration kit installed last Monday, I also only have the Audio 20 with CD Changer and I can only control the music from the steering wheel, I don't even see the track playing in the center display (5" screen) I only see "Aux" "Volume" "Sound", do you have the same or can you control your selection from both place?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2011, 08:14 AM

2011 GLK 350
hi GouLuKat,

sorry i havent been on in a bit so i just saw this. yea i have the exact same set-up in mine and only see those options. It is kind of irritating to only see those 3 options so i usually just switch it over to my phone screen to make it look like i could be doing something productive with that screen while listening to my ipod.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:03 AM

GLK350 4Matic
I sent my comments to MB Canada and this is the reply;

Unfortunately there are no plans to release a product that will allow you
to control the music with the Audio controller and see what track is
playing in the Audio display.

MB is far behind technology wise when it comes to electronics, I find, you can get a $15K Hyundai with a USB connection, with MB you have to get the Nav Pkg to then add the Media interface which will give you a cable to connect the USB stick Oh and the Nav pkg gives you a PCMCIA slot but you have to buy the PCMCIA card, wow this technology was developed back in the 90's for laptops, sorry for my ranting this morning I guess I need another coffee.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:41 PM

2011 GLK 350
Originally Posted by GouLuKat
I sent my comments to MB Canada and this is the reply;

Unfortunately there are no plans to release a product that will allow you
to control the music with the Audio controller and see what track is
playing in the Audio display.

MB is far behind technology wise when it comes to electronics, I find, you can get a $15K Hyundai with a USB connection, with MB you have to get the Nav Pkg to then add the Media interface which will give you a cable to connect the USB stick Oh and the Nav pkg gives you a PCMCIA slot but you have to buy the PCMCIA card, wow this technology was developed back in the 90's for laptops, sorry for my ranting this morning I guess I need another coffee.
MB iPod Integration Kit completely sucks! Was great disappointment to see how they did it. Also called MBUSA and told them so. Counterintuitive controls. Very distracting and dangerous, also unreachable for the passenger. Wasted central dash screen while trip info in the instrument cluster replaced with just the part of the song name.

So far I found Anycom FIPO to be the best mitigation for the lack of MB engineers care and any idea about usability. It leaves steering wheel back/forward controls via A2DP, but cuts MB iPod Kit from complete control and switching back to iPod from Pandora.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:22 PM

2010 GLK350 AWD
You can stream music from Pandora using the iPhone cable but only if you don't have any songs stored in your iPhone. Otherwise, just like n8nu said, it will keep trying to play the songs from your library.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Does anyone know if this will work with the iphone 5???
my 2010 GLK has the 30 pin connector for older ipods and iphones...apple sells an adaptor to go from the old 30 pin to the newer style. but I have no idea if it will work the same...

the aux cable is a joke...its located on the farthest point (inside the glovebox) from the drivers seat...and I would need such a long cord for it to work...and nothing feels more relaxing while driving than a bunch of cables spread all over the inside of your car...ugh!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:16 AM

GLK250
Originally Posted by erlomd
Does anyone know if this will work with the iphone 5???
my 2010 GLK has the 30 pin connector for older ipods and iphones...apple sells an adaptor to go from the old 30 pin to the newer style. but I have no idea if it will work the same...

the aux cable is a joke...its located on the farthest point (inside the glovebox) from the drivers seat...and I would need such a long cord for it to work...and nothing feels more relaxing while driving than a bunch of cables spread all over the inside of your car...ugh!!!
When we took delivery of our GLK250 on Monday they told my wife that she would need the Apple 30 pin to Lightening adapter for her iPhone 5. We haven't bought one yet though. If you trust the dealers word then it should work.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:02 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
I actually did get my mother in laws iPhone 4S to stream pandora through the iPod integration kit...and you could change the songs directly through the steering wheel. But like it was mentioned before, you can't have any songs in your iPod library on your phone, or else the radio will keep trying to play your songs...I have not tried the iPhone 5 adaptor yet...I bought a A2DP Bluetooth streamer to connect to the factory I pod cable and just stream music through Bluetooth...that way I can have full access to my phone to charge and stream pandora at the same time...it was cheap too at $12 on eBay...I'll let you know how it works and how the sound quality is when it comes in.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:05 AM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
well, the A2DP wireless bluetooth receiver came in...but, unfortunately it does not work in the car. when I plug in the device to the car, the dashboard display says: NO iPod...so there you have it. it will work however, on one of those portable speakers that have the 30 pin dock...thats how i distinguished it from being broken...

the lights started flashing, and it became discoverable to my iphone 5 and it paired. I think its because it needs to have a power supply to it.

I would think that since the ipod gets charged while playing in the car, it would work or at least its lights would start flashing, but I suspect that the voltage coming out of the ipod integration cable isn't high enough.

oh well, it was $12 and now I have another use for it. i guess the only other option is just directly plugging it in to the 3.5 aux chord or using the iphone 5 30 pin adaptor...either way, you have to unplug the ipod from the integrated cable in the glove box. what a pain in the neck....

Old 05-17-2013, 02:46 AM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by ScottTX
When we took delivery of our GLK250 on Monday they told my wife that she would need the Apple 30 pin to Lightening adapter for her iPhone 5. We haven't bought one yet though. If you trust the dealers word then it should work.
I just purchased the adaptor and everything works great...heres a video i took showing how everything works just like it would if it were an iPod but obviously its an iphone 5...pandora works perfectly and you can switch to the next song just like you would on the iphone itself.
unfortunately it does not charge the phone, but you still make and receive calls through the bluetooth function.

Last edited by erlomd; 05-17-2013 at 02:48 AM.