GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Grill Black Out How-To

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GLK350
Grill Black Out How-To

Some designer at Mercedes Benz in their infinite wisdom decided the grill should be silver with chrome accents. I've never liked it, often thought it should be black so it would make the chrome pop and then blend in with the rest of the grill that is blacked out. I think some of the higher models are done that way as well.

So today after washing the little beast I had some time to kill so I thought I would see if I could figure out how to get the grill out. Member STEV350 here started a thread wanting some help with it as well, so here we go....

The first step is to remove the two intake plenums where they attach to the top sill under the hood. Then pry up the rubber weatherstrip, the big heavy one. It's just a press fit, start at one side or other of the plastic sill in front and work it off.

All of the grill parts are connected with a tab-in-slot design. It's just a matter of finding the tabs and working their keepers loose and removing the pieces. The top trim plate has them front and back and there are two toggle screws near the center. Remove this piece, set aside.

Next are the main grill supports, there are 2 screws each and they lift off out of their mountings. Set these aside. The grill has two more screws at the extreme left and right, remove these. Then there are keeper tabs along the bottom of the grill, you'll find them if you look from the back side.

I've indicated where all the screw fasters are, 10mm socket head machine screws:

Once you have the grill out all of the parts are just tabbed together. Like I say, it's just a matter of finding them all and working the tabs off their keepers with a small screwdriver. Everything just pops apart. Finesse is the key here because if you man-handle them and pry too hard you'll break the tabs. I broke two tabs out of dozens on disassembly. There are so many that one here or there is not the end of the world. BE CAREFULL!

The whole grill insert slides up and off from it's tabs. Then remove each chrome trim piece.

Here's the offending silver grill insert. Light sand with 360 or 500 grit and wipe down for painting.

Krylon Fusion is an outstanding plastic paint. It's almost like a dye, goes on nice and smooth, provides a durable gloss finish, and dries for handling in an hour. Full hardness takes 7 days.

An hour later I slid everything back together, lining up all the tabs and making sure they all click home. It goes back together much easier than disassembly.

I dunno 'bout you, but I couldn't be more pleased. It's like this grill design was meant to be finished this way. The chrome trim really pops now, and it looks like the star is floating in the center. Way cool!!

Last edited by CJBROWN; 04-23-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel GLK in 20??
Yes CJ, your grill looks cool. Going all black looks doable too.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 G63
That's look really nice with the white! If i wasn't leasing i'd consider doing that!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350X :0
look'in cool CJ....
I wonder if this can be covered with 3M matte black material? It would be easier to take off when selling as original condition if need to be...

Old 04-23-2011, 09:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
That looks AWSOME
Old 04-23-2011, 11:26 PM

2011 GLK350
I was thinking later that other body colors, especially blue, green, red, maroon, might look good body color. Would be a lot more work, have to get body paint and all, but might be a nice custom touch. Remember when all side mirrors were black or chrome? Door handles too?

Oh, and mine is a lease. It don't matta to me!! I'll probly end up buying at the end anyway, I just love this car. It'll have 32K miles on it.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Mean man, really like what you did with it. Glad to see that not just us w124 people black out the grilles :P
Old 04-24-2011, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
good diy
Old 04-24-2011, 02:24 PM

Mazda 5, GLK350
that looks friggen awesome.
We need to derive a method that allows going back to original colors when we sell it
maybe wrap?
Old 04-24-2011, 02:32 PM

2011 GLK350
Originally Posted by kyoshiro
that looks friggen awesome.
We need to derive a method that allows going back to original colors when we sell it
maybe wrap?

Thanks!

Why do we have to put it back? Do you really think a potential buyer would even notice? And if they did why would they care? If someone pitched a fit it's a 2 hour job to paint it silver again.

I'll price out the piece by itself. With that figure in mind you could discount the price for a new part.

EDIT: I have EPCOnline, seems there are four different grills but they probly all look the same. You can't buy just the silver pieces, it's the whole grill assembly except the star and they'are about $650. Holy crap!!

A wrap would not work. Too many divergent surfaces.

Last edited by CJBROWN; 04-24-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:35 PM

Mazda 5, GLK350
Originally Posted by CJBROWN
Thanks!

Why do we have to put it back? Do you really think a potential buyer would even notice? And if they did why would they care? If someone pitched a fit it's a 2 hour job to paint it silver again.

I'll price out the piece by itself. With that figure in mind you could discount the price for a new part.

A wrap would not work. Too many divergent surfaces.
true, the potential buyer would probably not care much bout it.
I think i'll have to pull mine apart soon too or i'll buy a whole assembly and just do a swap out and maybe change the rear to full metal mesh
Old 04-24-2011, 04:45 PM

STI
thanks!!! i owe you one
Old 04-24-2011, 07:04 PM

2008 C350
Chiming in here: USE PLASTIDIP!! It's a spray-on product. It acts just like spray paint and you can use it just like spray paint, the difference is that you can easily peel it off if you'd like to. Its truly a wonder product. I've used it many times before and I cannot emphasize how versatile and great this stuff is. You can buy it at Lowes, Walmart, etc in the spray paint section. Google "Plastidip" and you'll find tons of people using this stuff for various uses.

Heres someone removing it from their wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLsu6...eature=related

Old 04-24-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Honda Pilot
Looks really good. Great idea.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:20 PM

STI
Originally Posted by cjh.
Chiming in here: USE PLASTIDIP!! It's a spray-on product. It acts just like spray paint and you can use it just like spray paint, the difference is that you can easily peel it off if you'd like to. Its truly a wonder product. I've used it many times before and I cannot emphasize how versatile and great this stuff is. You can buy it at Lowes, Walmart, etc in the spray paint section. Google "Plastidip" and you'll find tons of people using this stuff for various uses.

Heres someone removing it from their wheels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLsu6...eature=related

how does plastidip work? do you still have to sand it down? does it chip?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:00 PM

STI
just finished mine using plasti dip

Old 04-27-2011, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Danm you, Chris!

I thought of doing this the first time I saw the lame silver part of the grill on my black GLK but I pushed the thought aside because I was too lazy to figure out how to disassemble the grill.

Now you've eliminated that excuse so I'm going to have to do it after all.

Y'know, I buy new cars so I won't have to work on them...
Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by STEV350
how does plastidip work? do you still have to sand it down? does it chip?
You don't have to sand down anything. Picture it as liquid rubber/latex in a can. It doesn't chip because of its rubbery properties. Its such a unique product.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
I just found this thread...funny, I felt the same way...and was looking for a thread that has the "how to" on removing the front grill to do the exact same thing but, with plasti dip.
your grill turned out great!!! cant wait to do mine.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:59 AM

2015 E63S AMG & 2013 GLK350
Plasti dipped mine a few weeks ago

Old 05-12-2013, 09:50 AM

2011 GLK350
Wow, old thread. I had forgotten about it.

I've since traded off the car for a Subaru Crosstrek. Have already painted out the grill on that one as well.

I have heard good things about the plasti-dip paint, that it resists chips better. The Krylon fusion held up surprisingly well. After about 20K miles there were just a few little chips, a black sharpie pen hides them well enough you can't tell.

The new car had a chrome surround that I sanded with 360grit and painted with Dupont Centari automotive acrylic enamel. I didn't have any cross-linker (hardener) so I just shot the paint on there. After a thousand mile it has a couple of little chips.

I may try the plasti-dip at some point. I just don't like the way it peels off.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:04 PM

2013 GLK350
TTA850, your plasti dip job looks awesome. You got me thinking about doing mine!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:39 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by TTA850
Plasti dipped mine a few weeks ago

awesome job!!! I always thought this would look great...ill post mine up soon
Old 05-12-2013, 06:45 PM

2010 GLK 350 4MATIC
Just did mine as well...everybody was in the house getting ready for a mothers day party...so I decided to have some fun in the garage. love the way it came out but when my wife saw me going at our removed grill with a spray can...it was a sight to see...lol

she loves it too, and I convinced her that since its a layer of plastic coating, it will protect that section of paint...showed her how it peels right off on a sample part I used for practice before I painted the real grill...
I recommend this excuse for anyone attempting...lol

BTW: I got the Plasti-dip spray can at Loews. as said before, If your attempting to do this, its not hard. took me less than 2 hours to do (and that included semi drying time) it was noon in dry california with 99F temperature outside however. Just be sure to take your time with the dozens of plastic tabs...follow the directions that CJBROWN posted...I used a plastic flathead screwdriver with lots of patience...there are a ton of them and it all snaps in together at the end. let the paint dry for an hour (I was still careful on not touching the paint even when installing the emblem and chrome pieces and finally snapping it in place to the black plastic grill.
It looks like it was meant to come from factory this way...and the texture of the plasti-dip seems like it could have come from the factory that way as well.
Love it...thanks for the instructions everyone!!!

Last edited by erlomd; 05-12-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
To many to list
I paint matched mine last year. its been great so far.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Grill Black Out How-To