GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Is there anyway to enable LED daytime running light for the night

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK300
Is there anyway to enable LED daytime running light for the night

I understand that this is not "designed" to work in the night, but I think it looks good to have the LED light on for the night.

Do I have to do that in the dealer's workshop or can I enable it myself somehow?

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 GLK 220CDI 4M BlueEFFICIENCY
I assume the LED Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) are working depending on the ambient light; either the DRLs or the low-beam headlamps, where you live.

Given this is a requirement per law in your country, will you not find an option to configure the function differently by the on-board computer, nor do I believe the dealer will offer to do so.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:04 PM

GLK350
My LED DRL are on all the time, regardless of headlights.

There is a setting for DRL in the dashboard computer.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 GLK Black, Premium 1, Lighting, Multimedia, Appearance and Media Pkg, 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
DRL are different depending on where you live i.e. US, Canada or Other. It also depends if you have the lighting package.

In the US is you have the lighting package the DRL are the Bi-Xenon's which is ridiculous in my book. If you have the standard headlamps the low beams are the DRL's In the US the DRL's can be enabled or disabled thru the menu on the instrument panel. In Canada the DLR's cannot be disabled.

So I think that the answer for you is the DRL's are your headlights as opposed to what I call the parking lights. I would think that the parking lights would be the DRL's but they are not.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:45 AM

GLK300
Originally Posted by Shak59
My LED DRL are on all the time, regardless of headlights.

There is a setting for DRL in the dashboard computer.
Hello Shak59, would you advise how should I make this setting? Thank you in advance.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDi 2k SLK230 Designo 04 SLK 320 Final Edition 2010 GLK350 06 VW Beetle TDi 2012 Plug In Prius
Originally Posted by wisestar
Hello Shak59, would you advise how should I make this setting? Thank you in advance.
Since you are not in North America the information Shak59 could provide might not apply to your vehicle. Do you have the halogen lighting system or the ILS option?
It is always helpful to post your home country in your signature so the help can be more country specific.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:07 AM

GLK300
Originally Posted by n5160u
Since you are not in North America the information Shak59 could provide might not apply to your vehicle. Do you have the halogen lighting system or the ILS option?
It is always helpful to post your home country in your signature so the help can be more country specific.
Hello n5160u, my GLK300 Luxury is bought in China (USA import model), and it is made in US. I don't know if i have the ILS option or not, but I have the picture upload for your reference. I have checked with my local dealer and they confirm that it can be done via chaning settings on the onboard computer. It will cost me if they do it for me and I am wondering is it can be done in the engineering mode of the command APS. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Is there anyway to enable LED daytime running light for the night-led-drl.jpg  
Old 04-29-2011, 01:52 PM

2010 E350 Coupe, 2010 GL350 Bluetec
My MY10 E350 Coupe came with the DRL off whenever the headlight was on. Brought it back to the dealer and they made it work by reloading some program. The DRL now dims (25% or 50%, not sure) when the headlight is on.

There is a place from the cluster you can choose to turn DRL on or off for the US models as someone mentioned above but obviously yours is already on so you just bring it to your dealer to change some codes. It shouldn't cost you because that's how the manual says it should work, of course unless the Chinese model is different but your dealer is willing to do it for a fee.