GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Ram EcoDiesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GLK250BT
Ram EcoDiesel

Don't hate, but I've been looking at them. I'd really like to get back to the utility of a pick-up truck. I know I'd take a hit in fuel economy, but 28mpg is impressive for a large heavy truck! Wife's on board, as she has hated the GLK from the beginning. She thinks it's too showy to own a MB, nevermind that her Honda actually cost more than my GLK!

I know the build quality of a FCA product will not come close to MB, but I still want to look.

Anybody want to talk me out of it?
Old 06-15-2014, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
I just bough a last year of the dodge dakota and the day I got it(last Saturday) I put a for sale on it. Can't stand how it drives fuel economy is close to my G63. I'm getting the ML or GLK whichever wife picks... Don't do it or if you want bigger get the ML.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Mercedes GLK 250 - Polar White
I would like a truck as well and with some of the new models fuel mileage was looking reasonable. I thought I was going to get kicked out of the garage with the 2nd child coming and needing more space to open doors. Turns out a GLK and an Explorer fit fine in the garage and I am happy still being able to park in the garage.

I started looking at the Dodge diesel but when Ford announced their 2015 F150 with 700 lbs weight savings I quickly turned my attention to that truck. I would check out the F150.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:27 PM

2013 GLK250BT
Yes, I'd have to park outside. One of the perks with the GLK is that it fits on my side of the garage with a little room to spare.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:08 PM

2013 GLK250BT
Originally Posted by RSNovi
I would like a truck as well and with some of the new models fuel mileage was looking reasonable. I thought I was going to get kicked out of the garage with the 2nd child coming and needing more space to open doors. Turns out a GLK and an Explorer fit fine in the garage and I am happy still being able to park in the garage.

I started looking at the Dodge diesel but when Ford announced their 2015 F150 with 700 lbs weight savings I quickly turned my attention to that truck. I would check out the F150.
Not sure how the insurance rating is going to go for the F-150 aluminum. I know it still be the highest volume seller in the USA, but all aluminum-intensive vehicles carry a higher insurance premium due to higher repair costs. (Although, all of the AL cars are high-end, premium vehicles that will have higher insurance rates anyway.)

Thanks for your input!
Old 06-16-2014, 05:29 PM

2014 GLK250, 2014 Mustang Convertible, 2000 Ford Ranger, 04 Honda ST1300
[QUOTE=mike-nc;6075091]Not sure how the insurance rating is going to go for the F-150 aluminum. I know it still be the highest volume seller in the USA, but all aluminum-intensive vehicles carry a higher insurance premium due to higher repair costs. QUOTE]

Simple call to your insurance agent asking for a quote on each vehicle should help you decide. I do that every time I get ready to buy a new vehicle. The GLK was very inexpensive for me to insure and that's one of the many reasons I'm on this great site now.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by mike-nc
Don't hate, but I've been looking at them. I'd really like to get back to the utility of a pick-up truck. I know I'd take a hit in fuel economy, but 28mpg is impressive for a large heavy truck! Wife's on board, as she has hated the GLK from the beginning. She thinks it's too showy to own a MB, nevermind that her Honda actually cost more than my GLK!

I know the build quality of a FCA product will not come close to MB, but I still want to look.

Anybody want to talk me out of it?

Maybe some therapy to work on her self-worth issues..?
Old 06-16-2014, 06:17 PM

2013 GLK250BT
She's worth a mint to me!!! (Just grew up very conservative and that's hard to change!)
Old 06-16-2014, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
She's worth a mint to me!!! (Just grew up very conservative and that's hard to change!)

I know; I was just joshin' ya!

I wanted to include a :wink: emoticon but for some reason they are not working for me...
Old 06-17-2014, 10:25 AM

GLK250 BlueTec- 2014
Hiya Mike*...
wow didn't realize there were more pple unhappy-not sure they want to keep their GLK250BT!!! thought I was being too fussy......>good2know its not just me!:P

Yips you will like this < happen to see this advert posting at bottom of screen while I was reading this post> see pict!

While we are on this long road trip; paused @ Ontario Canada for few weeks here; visiting friends & family around Toronto - noticed few DIESEL Trucks around. Chat with this builder guy who has TWO of those RAM DIESEAL trucks you thinking of getting. He raves on about them. His older truck seems to be like from 1980s model -and seems like NEW!

me I am partial to GMC diesels - mainly because of their ALISON Transmit ion - is available in their DIESELS ONLY (not used any of the RAMs Detroit diesel stuff ) But I know my Bro has one of the Chevy Silverado dullies in diesel for this sail boat towing with 5th wheel setup - he adores/loves it.

- we hate the GLK that much that we already DOING A TRADE IN after 4700 miles for a Audi Q5 TDi (3.0 diesel) and have money to spare with same same options (Audi has better seat & sky package also) So we doing a swap on July 4th weekend thus the long drive back to MA to pick that up !

Am jealous , that all I can say - I wanted to get the Dual cab GMC-6.3 diesel for the trip but THE boss wont have any of that ! get F150 dual cabs with Captain's Chairs in dual cab their Turbo diesel , and you wont regret that vehicle - and it be much more useful as a daily commuter and DIY projects around home IMHO!
Attached Thumbnails Ram EcoDiesel-ramd.jpg  
Old 06-17-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Mercedes GLK 250 - Polar White
I interpreted the original poster talking about the new RAM 1500 diesel which is a VM Motori engine. The RAM heavy duty trucks (>2500) are equipped with a Cummins diesel.

I believe the Nissan half ton truck will have a Cummins 5.0L diesel option in the near future.

BTW, I still very much like my GLK and am happy to be back in a diesel powered vehicle. I am about to cross the 5k mile marker so I hope I stay happy.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:43 PM

2013 GLK250BT
Yes, I'm talking about the VM Motori engine-3.0L V-6; light duty.

I'm not at all unhappy with the GLK. It's really the opposite. I like the clean diesel technology so much, along with the improved fuel mileage that I can comfortably afford to fuel a truck and gain the utility of a truck. I am really a truck person, but I don't want 16-17mpg that the typical gas engine gets.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 GLE300d 4Matic
Well, I'm getting around 20 mpg in town with the gas 3.5 V6 (272 engine and 4Matic) and 24 mpg on the highway. I do drive gently though.
I sold a 2009 Dodge 2500 diesel truck to get the GLK. I was tired of the "biggness" which made for parking hassles. I was also tired of 16 mpg and 20 mpg on the highway.
I picked up a foldaway 4x8 size trailer from Harbor Freight which I use as my pickup bed when I need to haul anything. It's the size of a 1/2 ton bed I figure and I only use it when I need to haul. Hauling that bed everywhere got tiring. The GLK is a lot more fun to drive.