GLK-Class (X204) Produced 2008-2014

Feasibility of DIY maintenance on GLK's??

Old 05-15-2019, 04:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GLK series
Feasibility of DIY maintenance on GLK's??

Hello All,

I'm on the tail end of my first overseas tour in Europe, I brought a Toyota Tacoma, which i sold, and bought a 95 BMW 520, i fell in love with the German driving experience, minus the maintenance cost however I was able to do a lot on my own saving me thousands.

Heading back to the states now and I'm considering the 2015 GLK 350. I see that it has several JD Power awards and I'm looking for somthing all wheel drive with some power.

My question is: what's the feasibility of DIY maintenance on these things? Brake jobs, A/C, anything apart from engine or transmission work? Scotty Kilmer says that even a simple brake job requires a computer code reset with his $5000. MB diagnostic tool.. I'm only an enlistedman and dont have that kind of money yet..

Any advice on the subject to include typical repairs with the 2015 that y'all have experienced would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-15-2019, 01:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
14 GLK 250
Originally Posted by Bozzy J Winters
Hello All,
4f
I'm on the tail end of my first overseas tour in Europe, I brought a Toyota Tacoma, which i sold, and bought a 95 BMW 520, i fell in love with the German driving experience, minus the maintenance cost however I was able to do a lot on my own saving me thousands.

Heading back to the states now and I'm considering the 2015 GLK 350. I see that it has several JD Power awards and I'm looking for somthing all wheel drive with some power.

My question is: what's the feasibility of DIY maintenance on these things? Brake jobs, A/C, anything apart from engine or transmission work? Scotty Kilmer says that even a simple brake job requires a computer code reset with his $5000. MB diagnostic tool.. I'm only an enlistedman and dont have that kind of money yet..
4f
Any advice on the subject to include typical repairs with the 2015 that y'all have experienced would be greatly appreciated!
4f

Well I do everything myself, and just did my brakes, and did not need any computer. I do have a Mercedes scan tool though, icarsoft MBII, 150$.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:46 PM

2015 GLK series
What model and year Mercedes do you have?
Old 05-15-2019, 03:53 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
14 GLK 250
What model and year Mercedes do you have?
‘14 GLK250
Old 05-15-2019, 07:22 PM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 GLK350
It's a car. They mostly all do the same thing and go together in the same general way. If you have always worked on your own stuff as some of us here have then you will be fine. If not then look for something that won't incur the German tax at the service department.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
2010 Mb here, pretty easy and basic maintenance like any other car. We have done brakes, plugs, tranny and diff flushes, oil changes. Only needed icarsoft for tranny temp to get the level.
I heard spark plugs are PITA with DFI engines (2013+).
I would seriously consider RWD with good winter tires for winter.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:58 AM

2015 GLK series
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
2010 Mb here, pretty easy and basic maintenance like any other car. We have done brakes, plugs, tranny and diff flushes, oil changes. Only needed icarsoft for tranny temp to get the level.
I heard spark plugs are PITA with DFI engines (2013+).
I would seriously consider RWD with good winter tires for winter.
Why RWD? Is the all wheel drive system prone to issues?

Last edited by Bozzy J Winters; 05-16-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:16 AM

2015 GLK series
Originally Posted by formerjeepguy
It's a car. They mostly all do the same thing and go together in the same general way. If you have always worked on your own stuff as some of us here have then you will be fine. If not then look for something that won't incur the German tax at the service department.
I understand that, what I'm concerned about is how intricuitly everything is tied to computer systems. I dont want to have to use an expensive diagnostic tool to reset the computer for a brake job.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Why RWD? Is the all wheel drive system prone to issues?
Less stuff to break, cheaper to buy, easy engine mount replacment, better mpg... 4matic is a nice system tho. I’ve had my AWD GLK for 93k miles with no issues, and it gets you thorugh snow banks on all-seasons (not enough snow here to justify winter tires).
Old 05-17-2019, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
I understand that, what I'm concerned about is how intricuitly everything is tied to computer systems. I dont want to have to use an expensive diagnostic tool to reset the computer for a brake job.
The I carsoft mb2 is 200......dont believe every thing you watch on th e internet.

If youre looking at a 2015 glk350...you might as well look at an older w166 ml400 or ml550. They're more fun and more autobahn cruisers.
If you're stuck on the size. The glc is a better option as it is updated and more recent of an interior than the glk.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:09 PM

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
2012 GLK
Originally Posted by kombifan
The I carsoft mb2 is 200......dont believe every thing you watch on th e internet.

If youre looking at a 2015 glk350...you might as well look at an older w166 ml400 or ml550. They're more fun and more autobahn cruisers.
If you're stuck on the size. The glc is a better option as it is updated and more recent of an interior than the glk.
i would pick a GLK any day of the week over a GLC (unless you are leasing it). GLC is prob a downgrade in quality plus instead of getting a simple, robust V6, you are getting a crappy 4cyl engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by B737:
BLKROKT (05-30-2019), Bozzy J Winters (05-23-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 09:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 CLA 45, 2013 GLK 350
Some things are easy to replace such as the radar sensors for blind spot monitoring. I replaced it myself without removing bumpers or anything. Front struts and rear shocks are easy to do at home too. Rotors and pads are easy to do. Oil changes are nice and simple. Rear diff fluid is easy. Spark plugs for the m276 3.5L engines are easy but very time consuming. Air filter and cabin filter is easy.

The hardest thing to fix is the shaft seal since the transfer case is built into it. If the output shaft seal leaks, you need to drop the transmission and tear it apart to replace the seal from the inside. Stupid design. It will cost me 2k to fix a damn seal so I'm driving my GLK for the next couple of years while it leaks only in the winter time. It should last me until then.
The following users liked this post:
Bozzy J Winters (05-23-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 10:18 PM

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
GLC300 (mine) GLK250 (wife's)
I have a GLC 300 and my wife has a GLK 250, both are 4 matic. Only routine maintenance so far but both have been pretty easy to work on. The only minor issue was the cabin filter, not difficult but a PITA because you're laying on your back in the foot well. Don't believe this MB "rocket science" stuff. It's in the dealer's interest to make things sound complicated - for obvious reasons.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:36 PM

2012 GLK
Originally Posted by karmikan
Don't believe this MB "rocket science" stuff. It's in the dealer's interest to make things sound complicated - for obvious reasons.
MB does a lot of really dumb things though. Like code the transmission, and other modules, to the VIN etc.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Hello All,

First off Scotty Kilmer is a idiot... He cannot work on anything that is never then 1990 without complaining about it because it is over his learning curve.

Now as far as the 2015 GLK350. The engine and tranny are bulletproof when properly maintained. The engine and trans is a tried and true run of the mill MB powertrain as it is used in many cars in the MB lineup. A simple google search will show that the GLK is very DIY. Brake flush, spark plugs, ect. Here are some videos below. You are 100% in the right place. Use the search forums tool as well to find whatever else you need. There are so many videos, links and articles. Also, there is a GLK Specific forum as well. http://www.mercedesglk.org/

Coolant flush DIY : https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...tructions.html

Brake Job DIY:

Oil Change DIY: https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...il-change.html

Also read the service guides for the X204 GLK on when to service it. If you have to run to the dealer for every little issue then yes it can be expensive but to DIY you make the car as affordable as a HONDA or Toyota.

Last edited by C280 Sport; 05-22-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:21 PM

2012 GLK
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
The engine and trans is a tried and true run of the mill MB powertrain as it is used in many cars in the MB lineup. .
uhhh i definitely would not call the transmission in the GLK "bullet proof". Its all-in-one torque converter, transfer case design is really dumb, and prone to leaks. Once it starts leaking, the entire thing needs to come out and get opened up. Thousands of dollars. Want to swap it out? that would need to get coded, likely by a dealer. Just search this subsection for "transmission" and you'll see enough nightmares.

The GLK is def easy to work on, but its not without its complexities. It is kind of simple as far as Mercedes go, which is a good thing. However i would reserve the term "bullet proof" for cars from toyota, and honda... def not the GLK. Our GLK is used by my SO and am thankful she doesnt beat on it, because if this truck was abused i could see how easily it could become a problem.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Here is one easy DIY....engine mounts on 4Matic. Engine swap might be easier or about the same.

Front diff without fill plug...actually not as hard as it sound, but still.

Tranny pan with one plug for drain/fill/level...c'mon.

But what I like about GLK is use of aluminum and splash covers! Almost nothing rusts, except for exhaust. Indestructible Land-cruiser/LX570 on the other hand makes a "simple" job a nightmare! I'm conflicted at the moment...Except for engine mounts, I've had less issues and easier maintenance on GLK.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by B737
uhhh i definitely would not call the transmission in the GLK "bullet proof". Its all-in-one torque converter, transfer case design is really dumb, and prone to leaks. Once it starts leaking, the entire thing needs to come out and get opened up. Thousands of dollars. Want to swap it out? that would need to get coded, likely by a dealer. Just search this subsection for "transmission" and you'll see enough nightmares.

The GLK is def easy to work on, but its not without its complexities. It is kind of simple as far as Mercedes go, which is a good thing. However i would reserve the term "bullet proof" for cars from toyota, and honda... def not the GLK. Our GLK is used by my SO and am thankful she doesnt beat on it, because if this truck was abused i could see how easily it could become a problem.
Have you owned other MB's other then a GLK? If you have then you will know the GLK is simple by MB Standard. Especially when compared to the other models like the E, S, CL... The powertrain is a MB bread and butter. Not complex at all. The 3.5 V6 7Speed is a solid set up. I have it in many cars and it has been fine.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:08 AM

2015 GLK series
Originally Posted by Van Ha Nguyen
Some things are easy to replace such as the radar sensors for blind spot monitoring. I replaced it myself without removing bumpers or anything. Front struts and rear shocks are easy to do at home too. Rotors and pads are easy to do. Oil changes are nice and simple. Rear diff fluid is easy. Spark plugs for the m276 3.5L engines are easy but very time consuming. Air filter and cabin filter is easy.

The hardest thing to fix is the shaft seal since the transfer case is built into it. If the output shaft seal leaks, you need to drop the transmission and tear it apart to replace the seal from the inside. Stupid design. It will cost me 2k to fix a damn seal so I'm driving my GLK for the next couple of years while it leaks only in the winter time. It should last me until then.
What was the cause of your leak? Are you from the rust belt? Have you heard of this being a common problem?
Old 05-23-2019, 12:06 PM

2012 GLK
Have you owned other MB's other then a GLK? If you have then you will know the GLK is simple by MB Standard. Especially when compared to the other models like the E, S, CL... The powertrain is a MB bread and butter. Not complex at all. The 3.5 V6 7Speed is a solid set up. I have it in many cars and it has been fine.
yes, several in the family at one time or another (E, S, SL) and have serviced several as well (2xGLK, S and C). I agree (and mentioned before) the GLK is simple by Mercedes standards, but compared to other manufactures it is unnecessary complex esp given it's built in transfer case + torque converter, all in one design. Sure the 722.9 is dependable and in a lot of models, but personally, I would not call it bullet proof by any stretch of the imagination. Just searching the forum here will show you plenty of failure modes plus many indies cannot code a new transmission to the vin. I'll add servicing the 722.9 isnt particularly difficult or unique by European standards, but it is a pain the ***. Many other manufactures (domestic and Asian), have much simplified procedures for such.

Last edited by B737; 05-23-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:15 PM

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
GLC300 (mine) GLK250 (wife's)
First off Scotty Kilmer is a idiot... He cannot work on anything that is never then 1990 without complaining about it because it is over his learning curve..
Completely agree. Much of what I've seen from this guy is outdated, misleading or just plain wrong. One example is the effect of stop-start technology. Comparing what Kilmer says to what John Cadogan (a qualified mechanical engineer) says is pretty enlightening. Both agree that it's annoying, useless and just a way for manufacturers to game the fuel economy figures, but that's where the similarities end. Kilmer says that stop-start will do nasty things including premature engine wear and killing the starter. On the other hand, Cadogan says that due to the technologies involved (stopping the engine at TDC etc) and the fact that starting a warm engine causes zero wear (unlike a cold start where most engine wear occurs), there are no negative effects.
A bit off topic but I've included a couple of videos for those who are interested.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by karmikan
Completely agree. Much of what I've seen from this guy is outdated, misleading or just plain wrong. One example is the effect of stop-start technology. Comparing what Kilmer says to what John Cadogan (a qualified mechanical engineer) says is pretty enlightening. Both agree that it's annoying, useless and just a way for manufacturers to game the fuel economy figures, but that's where the similarities end. Kilmer says that stop-start will do nasty things including premature engine wear and killing the starter. On the other hand, Cadogan says that due to the technologies involved (stopping the engine at TDC etc) and the fact that starting a warm engine causes zero wear (unlike a cold start where most engine wear occurs), there are no negative effects.
A bit off topic but I've included a couple of videos for those who are interested.
Why Not to Buy a Car with Stop/Start Technology - YouTube
The truth about engine stop start systems | Auto Expert John Cadogan | Australia - YouTube
Ya it is mostly just plain wrong lol. He is a hillbilly backyard car guy who knows how to change oil lol. John Cadogan while not my favorite is at least a mechanical engineer. I am not a stop/start tech fan but I do understand why it is there. My GLK has it and I basically just turn it off when I get inside the car. I live with it and do not worry much about turning it off full time.