GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Please help me~I feel like scammed by local mb dealership.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi
Please help me~I feel like scammed by local mb dealership.

Here is the story and the true story only.

I was trying to find a best discount that I could get in early July this year for 2017 GLS, and at that time one of dealership offered 3.5% off from MSRP guaranteed by a fleet manager. (but not cooperate store)
and then here comes a dealer (appraised highly in redflagdeals) offered me 4% off from MSRP, and he is from Mississauga MB cooperate store in Canada So certainly I decide to go with him.
Let me type in exact words that are written on the paper.
"Subject to 2017 GLS Price Release 4% discount" and signed by 2 managers there. But the verbal words that I heard at that time was 4% off from MSRP guaranteed. So I put a deposit on July 25th 2015 knowing that I am the 2nd in the queue and will be guaranteed to get my vehicle in the first batch.

Here is the exciting news.
Today I received a call from one of his salesperson. He told me that my salesperson is no longer working there, and they tossed my file to him, and he is placing order for me. I went to the dealership as soon as I receive phone call from him today, just want to go through the option and package details to make sure I am getting what I exactly want.
The first thing that salesperson told me was (according to his manager who signed the paper back in July) I wont be getting 4% off from MSRP, because the price will be different, and they cannot honor that 4% off. I can take my deposit back and cancel the order if I want, he is fine with that. But 100% sure 4% off is not what I will be getting. He told me that they have a long list of clients that want the car...so he will be okay with me cancelling the order.

I was like W...T...F...
If I cancel the order now, there is no way I can get my car in the first batch anywhere, but if not, I have to take whatever they offer. (even with 0% discount. For now the price of the car is not out yet, and the discount % is not decided yet.)

I am not quite sure if I expressed my situation clearly...sorry for bad English.

Please help me what should I do??

Any inputs will be appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'16 GL550, '12 C350
Nothing you can do. Either you cancel or order. And negotiate new terms. The dealer unfortunately has the upper hand here. And you didn't get scammed, you got screwed.

Last edited by Count Laszlo; 12-10-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:34 PM

Audi
Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
Nothing you can do. Either you cancel or order. And negotiate new terms. The dealer unfortunately has the upper hand here. And you didn't get scammed, you got screwed.
I guess so...which is very frustrating experience. :'(
But at least I can let people know by sharing my horrible experience
Old 12-10-2015, 09:41 PM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
Yeah, I feel for you. Stay positive and cheer up.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:34 PM

Audi
Originally Posted by Count Laszlo
Yeah, I feel for you. Stay positive and cheer up.
Yup. At least I am getting the vehicle earlier than expected, and the price won't increase too much due to the currency exchange rate as well...
PS: we don't have diamond white any longer
Old 12-11-2015, 11:03 AM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
--
Originally Posted by nhl1011
Here is the story and the true story only.

I was trying to find a best discount that I could get in early July this year for 2017 GLS, and at that time one of dealership offered 3.5% off from MSRP guaranteed by a fleet manager. (but not cooperate store)
and then here comes a dealer (appraised highly in redflagdeals) offered me 4% off from MSRP, and he is from Mississauga MB cooperate store in Canada So certainly I decide to go with him.
Let me type in exact words that are written on the paper.
"Subject to 2017 GLS Price Release 4% discount" and signed by 2 managers there. But the verbal words that I heard at that time was 4% off from MSRP guaranteed. So I put a deposit on July 25th 2015 knowing that I am the 2nd in the queue and will be guaranteed to get my vehicle in the first batch.

Here is the exciting news.
Today I received a call from one of his salesperson. He told me that my salesperson is no longer working there, and they tossed my file to him, and he is placing order for me. I went to the dealership as soon as I receive phone call from him today, just want to go through the option and package details to make sure I am getting what I exactly want.
The first thing that salesperson told me was (according to his manager who signed the paper back in July) I wont be getting 4% off from MSRP, because the price will be different, and they cannot honor that 4% off. I can take my deposit back and cancel the order if I want, he is fine with that. But 100% sure 4% off is not what I will be getting. He told me that they have a long list of clients that want the car...so he will be okay with me cancelling the order.

I was like W...T...F...
If I cancel the order now, there is no way I can get my car in the first batch anywhere, but if not, I have to take whatever they offer. (even with 0% discount. For now the price of the car is not out yet, and the discount % is not decided yet.)

I am not quite sure if I expressed my situation clearly...sorry for bad English.

Please help me what should I do??

Any inputs will be appreciated. thanks in advance.
You can definitely find that car in another dealer's first batch. It's not in that great demand where you won't be able to. You'll be able to replicate that discount, as well.

Last edited by bonboon; 12-11-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:09 PM

GL450
Are you sure you want a first batch vehicle? Historically there has been build quality issues with all GL MY?? models.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:39 PM

Audi
Any salesperson you guys want to recommend in GTA area?
I might just go to the dealership tomorrow morning, and cancel the order if they don't honor 4% discount as they promised. I really love the car and want to have it in first batch, but not in this way...it is not making me happy, and I don't feel like it is right thing to do business with this dealership.
Really appreciate your inputs.
Thanks
Old 12-11-2015, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Yes - you are entitled to 4% off the final-MSRP for your GLS.

However, the "final MSRP" has not been announced yet - it will be a few weeks - like Feb before final MSRP from MB is available..

If the MSRP was "estimated" at the time of the agreement - the 4% discount was agreed - however your final price is only estimated.

Example ONLY:

1. estimated MSRP was $60K - agreed 4% discount = estimated net $57.6K

2. Final MSRP $62K - agreed 4% discount = final net $59.52K

You are entitled to the 4% discount on the final MSRP when MB announces final MSRP - compris ?

If you have the 4% discount % in writing - the deposit placed with the dealer confirms the agreement - you do not offer or threaten to cancelrefund the deposit - and tell the dealer manager that Mercedes Benz will fully expect the dealership to honor the written agreement as confirmed by the dealership ir acceptance of deposit - which is FACT.

Straightforward agreement from Mercedes Corp standpoint
Old 12-11-2015, 11:41 PM

Audi
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Yes - you are entitled to 4% off the final-MSRP for your GLS.

However, the "final MSRP" has not been announced yet - it will be a few weeks - like Feb before final MSRP from MB is available..

If the MSRP was "estimated" at the time of the agreement - the 4% discount was agreed - however your final price is only estimated.

Example ONLY:

1. estimated MSRP was $60K - agreed 4% discount = estimated net $57.6K

2. Final MSRP $62K - agreed 4% discount = final net $59.52K
E
You are entitled to the 4% discount on the final MSRP when MB announces final MSRP - compris ?

If you have the 4% discount % in writing - the deposit placed with the dealer confirms the agreement - you do not offer or threaten to cancelrefund the deposit - and tell the dealer manager that Mercedes Benz will fully expect the dealership to honor the written agreement as confirmed by the dealership ir acceptance of deposit - which is FACT.

Straightforward agreement from Mercedes Corp standpoint
But the new salesperson keeps telling me that two managers who signed the contract back in July told him that there is no way I am getting 4% off from msrp. If I talk to the managers, I might even receive 0% discount. But he will try to give me best he can get. And he keeps saying that he has been worked for mb for over 15 years...etc etc...
I am planning to pay a visit tomorrow and see if they are still honouring the contract. If they are not, I might just cancel it, and buy from somewhere else. But I really want to get it asap though...
Any tips approaching this matter tomorrow?

Thanks

Last edited by nhl1011; 12-11-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:24 AM

'16 GL550, '12 C350
If you have a contract in writing and signed with signatures I would assume that it's binding as Fab has noted. Personally, I hate dealership games. I hope this works out for you.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:34 PM

GL450
But the new salesperson keeps telling me that two managers who signed the contract back in July told him that there is no way I am getting 4% off from msrp. If I talk to the managers, I might even receive 0% discount. But he will try to give me best he can get. And he keeps saying that he has been worked for mb for over 15 years...etc etc...
I am planning to pay a visit tomorrow and see if they are still honouring the contract. If they are not, I might just cancel it, and buy from somewhere else. But I really want to get it asap though...
Any tips approaching this matter tomorrow?

Thanks
I think this is a typical dealer BS. Actually I believe that they do want you to walk away from the agreement. They feel that they have enough interest in the vehicle to make more money from other buyers, and they no longer feel like honoring their offer to you. Remember, they can't break it themselves, they are pushing you to do it. Legally you do have a signed binding agreement. Yes I do agree with fabbrisd1 comments, you won't know what the final price for the vehicle is going to be, but I gather that's not your problem. You can always contact MB corporate. Not sure if that will have any bearing on it, but you could try.

One bad thing here. If you decide to pursue breach of contract, it really won't work for you. This path will take time and it may result in dealer honoring the contract terms, but you won't get the first batch vehicle anyway.

You have to ask yourself if you care more about the price, getting the first batch vehicle, or just simply sticking it to the man. All of these result in different approaches. No matter what you decide, I think we all here agree that you got shafted.

Good Luck.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:47 PM

Audi

Originally Posted by gsobol
I think this is a typical dealer BS. Actually I believe that they do want you to walk away from the agreement. They feel that they have enough interest in the vehicle to make more money from other buyers, and they no longer feel like honoring their offer to you. Remember, they can't break it themselves, they are pushing you to do it. Legally you do have a signed binding agreement. Yes I do agree with fabbrisd1 comments, you won't know what the final price for the vehicle is going to be, but I gather that's not your problem. You can always contact MB corporate. Not sure if that will have any bearing on it, but you could try.

One bad thing here. If you decide to pursue breach of contract, it really won't work for you. This path will take time and it may result in dealer honoring the contract terms, but you won't get the first batch vehicle anyway.

You have to ask yourself if you care more about the price, getting the first batch vehicle, or just simply sticking it to the man. All of these result in different approaches. No matter what you decide, I think we all here agree that you got shafted.

Good Luck.
Thank you guys for all the kind words.
I talked to one of their sales manager this morning, and he told me the mark down for them decreased by 1%, so they can give me 3% instead of 4%. He will also talk to another manager on Monday see if 3.5% is possible or not, and give me an answer by then. TBH 3% is fine for me as well, since the vehicle will arrive earlier than I expected. But diamond white is not available in Canada...which sucks...

I attached picture with available packages in Canada.

I chose Polar white exterior+ black interior + premium + sport pkg.
finger crossed, hopefully I will get the car in March.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails Please help me~I feel like scammed by local mb dealership.-image.jpeg  
Old 12-12-2015, 04:05 PM

--
Path of least resistance and headache: find another dealer that will give you 4% off. Won't be hard to do.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:07 PM

Audi
Originally Posted by eliontakis
Path of least resistance and headache: find another dealer that will give you 4% off. Won't be hard to do.
But I want the first batch.
Don't think I can get it anywhere at the moment. Production date is in January...
Old 12-12-2015, 04:19 PM

--
That dealer doesn't deserve your biz at this point but I understand you wanting the car and to be done with it
Old 12-12-2015, 04:22 PM

Audi
That dealer doesn't deserve your biz at this point but I understand you wanting the car and to be done with it
Yup. I know...if it is back in July, I won't spend any seconds with them...
But t under current circumstances... I will just take it and never look back...
Old 12-12-2015, 04:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you guys for all the kind words.
I talked to one of their sales manager this morning, and he told me the mark down for them decreased by 1%, so they can give me 3% instead of 4%. He will also talk to another manager on Monday see if 3.5% is possible or not, and give me an answer by then. TBH 3% is fine for me as well, since the vehicle will arrive earlier than I expected. But diamond white is not available in Canada...which sucks...

I attached picture with available packages in Canada.

I chose Polar white exterior+ black interior + premium + sport pkg.
finger crossed, hopefully I will get the car in March.

Cheers.
Ha, you just gave up your bottom line to the dealership. I'm sure some of them do read this.

honestly, if they can make MSRP to someone who is even more desperately wanting 1st batch, why would they not make more money?

They aren't emotionally attached to the cars, all they care about is how much money they making in the end. So......classic supply/demand.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
There is a "thrill" to being a 1st adopter - I don't endorse what happened on the dealer side at all - for a few hundred - I would roll with it..
Old 12-14-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 BMW 230ix convertible, 2018 GLC300
Yup. I know...if it is back in July, I won't spend any seconds with them...
But t under current circumstances... I will just take it and never look back...
Look at it this way, you aren't paying extra for the paint since you can't get diamond white. Also you should ask the dealer to make up the difference by throwing in all weather mats and giving you service A and B thrown in to make up the difference. This all costs them next to nothing and makes everyone happy.

If not I would call MB corporate and lodge a complaint. Also we have dealerrater.com here that has customer reviews of dealers. I would blast them after you pick up the car. Let others know what you went through. The last thing the dealer wants is bad reviews.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:29 AM

--
Mind you, some retailers have no shame. Was on my way to a dealer once to hand them my trade in, sign the paperwork, and take delivery, and literally on my drive there they tried making my deal 1k worse. So I literally told them to f*ck off and haven't spoken to them since.

The first and hopefully last xmas eve I told someone to f*ck off
Old 12-14-2015, 09:28 PM

Audi
Originally Posted by William Kayen
Look at it this way, you aren't paying extra for the paint since you can't get diamond white. Also you should ask the dealer to make up the difference by throwing in all weather mats and giving you service A and B thrown in to make up the difference. This all costs them next to nothing and makes everyone happy.

If not I would call MB corporate and lodge a complaint. Also we have dealerrater.com here that has customer reviews of dealers. I would blast them after you pick up the car. Let others know what you went through. The last thing the dealer wants is bad reviews.
Manager didn't call me today...I will call him tomorrow and find out what he has then...i will try my best to get w.e they can offer...
I initially worried that depreciatian of Canadian dollar might result big price increase to the car, but turned out that it only have slight increase. (Compare to around 15% depreciatian of Canadian dollar vs USD)
But anyways, let's see how they handle in March, and I will definitely update this post with new pictures.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:29 PM

Audi
Mind you, some retailers have no shame. Was on my way to a dealer once to hand them my trade in, sign the paperwork, and take delivery, and literally on my drive there they tried making my deal 1k worse. So I literally told them to f*ck off and haven't spoken to them since.

The first and hopefully last xmas eve I told someone to f*ck off
LoL you literally said those words?
Old 12-15-2015, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
CLK320
nhl1011 do you know if night package is offer for Canadian market ? More option list avalible ? Or it's all in packagese ?
Old 12-15-2015, 07:33 AM

Audi
Originally Posted by tery
nhl1011 do you know if night package is offer for Canadian market ? More option list avalible ? Or it's all in packagese ?
Those 4 were all they had...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please help me~I feel like scammed by local mb dealership.