GLS Class (X166) Produced from 2016 to 2019

Anyone ordered distronic with steering assist for their GLS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
gl550
Anyone ordered distronic with steering assist for their GLS?

Really want to know how well this steering assist works on the GLS... anyone had a chance to try it yet?

Last edited by jbak31; 08-16-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 284 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
I have it on my GLS550. While it does try to keep the GLS between the lines it is not as responsive as I would like. It is most helpful if your focus is not clearly on the road and the GLS begins to drift. It will steer you back in the lane. Where is lacks (IMO) is how late it sometimes responds to a correction. The GLS can sometimes be touching or even drive on the lines before the steering assist kicks in. I also find it a tiny bit intrusive when my hands are on the wheel steering the vehicle while using cruise control. But the engineers had to error on the side of safety.

As a first-gen system it is a start in the right direction. My son test-drove the new E-class and said it is a big jump in steering-assist compared to the GLS.
The following users liked this post:
Ali.Alkhamis (08-16-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 02:22 PM

gl550
Wow, that's unexpected. It was one of those "must have" items for me, and I was hoping it would work something like Tesla's autopilot... hmm, thanks for this info.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 284 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
But keep in mind that with the Driver Assistance Package you get:

- Distance Pilot DISTRONIC
- Active Brake Assist with cross-traffic function
- PRE-SAFE® Brake with Pedestrian Recognition
- PRE-SAFE PLUS
- Active Blind Spot Assist
- Active Lane Keeping Assist
- Speed Limit Assist

All great features you will enjoy.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLS 350d
I have it on mine and I find it quite impressive to be honest. It does keep the car well in the middle of the line most of the time. The only times I notice it is not perfect is when you have an exit, it can sometime hesitate between following the exit lane or the main lane. It is not to be compared to a fully autonomous system like the Tesla's. It is not homologated as such and will not let you leave the wheel for more than 10 seconds before issuing you a visual warning in the center display, then a bip. But on long journeys I find it is really a pleasure to have it steer for you. You still need to control and confirm it steers where it is supposed to, but I find it reassuring most of the time.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLS550, Palladium Silver/Saddle
jbak, I also have a 550 and concur with JoeMa's assessment. Not anywhere near an autonomous vehicle, more of a safety feature. I tried out steering assist on a long journey and ultimately ended up disabling the feature and relying just on the distronic. There is a tendency in the right hand lane for the car to want to veer off at exits as it must be tracking the right-hand solid lines - so I couldn't get comfortable relying on it too much. Also, it pulls you as you pass off ramps and makes the steering generally feel heavy, as if you're fighting the car's steering setup.

Despite its shortcomings, I am pleased to have the package overall, however. I keep it active unless I'm going on a long trip, primarily for the safety benefit given all the "potential distractions" in these well appointed SUVs coupled with my short attention span.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:01 PM

gl550
Does it seem like it tries to stay in the middle of the lane like Tesla, or does it "bounce" back and forth between left and right lane markers?
Old 08-16-2016, 04:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GLS550, Palladium Silver/Saddle
You'd definitely get pulled over on a Saturday night.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 Porsche Panamera 4, 2017 Mercedes GLS550, 2015 Porsche 911 4S
Originally Posted by JoeMa
I have it on my GLS550. While it does try to keep the GLS between the lines it is not as responsive as I would like. It is most helpful if your focus is not clearly on the road and the GLS begins to drift. It will steer you back in the lane. Where is lacks (IMO) is how late it sometimes responds to a correction. The GLS can sometimes be touching or even drive on the lines before the steering assist kicks in. I also find it a tiny bit intrusive when my hands are on the wheel steering the vehicle while using cruise control. But the engineers had to error on the side of safety.

As a first-gen system it is a start in the right direction. My son test-drove the new E-class and said it is a big jump in steering-assist compared to the GLS.
+1... Exactly my findings.