Saddle Brown : Caveat Emptor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W126-500SEC
Saddle Brown : Caveat Emptor

Calling all potential saddle brown interior purchasers :

The brown you get is NOTHING like what's in the brochures, the online photos or even the samples they have at the dealers. So if you're going to opt for this make sure you inspect a live vehicle with a Mk. I Eyeball. The colour doesn't seem to take to the images very well.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2017 GLS 350d
good to know... It would be perfect if you could take a picture of your interior, with the dealer sample on top of the seat, so that we can see the difference... Is it different better? or different worse? I hope this isnt too frustrating for you...
Old 09-18-2017, 11:22 AM

W126-500SEC
That unfortunately will npt be possible at this time. The car arrived at the dealers last Friday, and it was still in 'transportation mode' with all its interipr coverings. I just had a quick look before leaving on a 2 week trip. I've already alerted the dealer, but he's only responded 'it's the correct order code' so far. I'll take it up with him when I get back. I don't really know what to do about it. If Benz say it's saddle brown, that's what it is.
I'd have to see the vehicle when they've 'unpacked' it. It could all turn out great, but right now I'm not a happy camper.

Pete
Old 09-20-2017, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NA
This doesn't really help out with the situation but it seems the brown interiors are difficult to photograph and give an accurate representation (even some of the other colours for that matter). Even the samples in brochures don't seem to really look that close either. Don't get me started at how useless their interior trim samples are either...

It wasn't saddle brown I looked at but espresso brown. From various dealer photos I'd seen I'd pretty much ruled out the colour as even an option. In person I felt it looked considerably better. I took some photos and used a white balance and colour checker card to try and get the colours closer. The dark colours tend to throw of the auto exposure too. Some of the dealer photos of interiors taken with flashes look shocking. Unfortunately in your case it sounds like the opposite might be true

Definitely get them to put the colour sample on the seats to see if it is anything like what you looked at before ordering.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2017, 11:40 AM

W126-500SEC
I finally got around to doing a live pic of the car.

The camera is an EOS 40D
The lens is a Sigma 17-55 2.8

What the configurator shows

What the camera shows

Go figure

Last edited by Peter R.; 10-02-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 202 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Most configurators say that colors etc vary from what pictured, this isn't new. That pic is also in bright sunlight. Nothing looks the same under those conditions.

M
Old 10-03-2017, 04:34 AM

W126-500SEC
Originally Posted by Germancar1
Most configurators say that colors etc vary from what pictured, this isn't new. That pic is also in bright sunlight. Nothing looks the same under those conditions.

M
Congrats, you are doing an excellent job of missing the point completely.
Anyhoo, attached 2 more photo's

Camera and lens are the same.

I have done my best to avoid direct sunlight, shades, and creative fiddling with the camera. There was no post processing whatsoever. The left pic is out of the sun, the right one when the sun was out although not reflecting directly on the surface. I think what your eyeball will register while IN the car is the left.
I think I could learn to live with it, but it's definitely NOT what I thought I was getting. I still have some time before I 'oficially' have to take posession of the vehicle so I will ponder further action.
It will of course be an exercise in futility, becaus bar stripping the interior and having it re-dyed I see no solution.
I find this sort of thing unaccepatable for a 'Premium' brand that advertises 'the best or nothing'.
Attached Thumbnails Saddle Brown : Caveat Emptor-gls-no-sun.jpg   Saddle Brown : Caveat Emptor-gls-sun.jpg  
Old 10-05-2017, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 350
Sorry you are disappointed....

This is exactly what I expect for saddle brown leather- to me it's orange leather.

Just wondering, what color did you expect it to be? More brown or more tan? Were you shown a different sample?
Old 10-05-2017, 07:59 AM

W126-500SEC
Originally Posted by Benzorbust
This is exactly what I expect for saddle brown leather- to me it's orange leather.

Just wondering, what color did you expect it to be? More brown or more tan? Were you shown a different sample?

This Is what I was sold
Attached Thumbnails Saddle Brown : Caveat Emptor-benz_piano.jpg  
Old 10-07-2017, 04:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
GLS350d
Another example of poor quality control due to demand of the product. Someone would have had to accept this colour variance.

You have every right to be upset and angry.

It’s not what you ordered, someone is responsible and it’s not you.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
You should have requested to see it in person before ordering. That's exactly the color it's supposed to be.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:56 PM

W126-500SEC
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
You should have requested to see it in person before ordering. That's exactly the color it's supposed to be.
I did. It was not possible. Where upon I visited the MB 'Fascination Center' where some uninterested youths with nice MB jackets told me the colour was not available. They DID have a (very small) sample in the 'colour booth' which is lit by a funny temperature LED array which makes Designo white look like 'who-the-hell-pissed-in-that-bucket-of-RAL-white' paint'.

It's quite funny actually. If you tell some people you looked at he samples they tell you samples aren't accurate and you should've looked at the printed catalogue. If you tell them you looked at the catalogue they tell you you should've asked for a sample. If you tell them you looked at the sample AND the catalogue AND the configurator they opine you should always check in a vehicle. And any combination thereof.
I'm stupid like that, but if someone show me a picture of a GLS I expect to be delivered a GLS, not an GLE because 'it looks like that from that angle' or somesuch. If you don't know what it looks like tell me and I'll order something else. Yeah, I'm an idiot.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
I don't mean it in a condescending way, but I've seen plenty of the cars with that interior, and to me, even in your picture without direct sunlight, it looks very much the same as the pictures from MB with studio lighting.

Yes, I agree completely the samples were inadequate and probably looked different. I still don't see how it was much different than what you actually have.

What color were you expecting? A dark brown?
Old 10-08-2017, 11:47 PM

W126-500SEC
I have so far posted TWO pictures of what I was shown at the time of the sale. Are you not seeing them? This would explain your comment.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Peter R.
This Is what I was sold
Congrats, you are doing an excellent job of missing the point completely.
Anyhoo, attached 2 more photo's

Camera and lens are the same.

I have done my best to avoid direct sunlight, shades, and creative fiddling with the camera. There was no post processing whatsoever. The left pic is out of the sun, the right one when the sun was out although not reflecting directly on the surface. I think what your eyeball will register while IN the car is the left.
I think I could learn to live with it, but it's definitely NOT what I thought I was getting. I still have some time before I 'oficially' have to take posession of the vehicle so I will ponder further action.
It will of course be an exercise in futility, becaus bar stripping the interior and having it re-dyed I see no solution.
I find this sort of thing unaccepatable for a 'Premium' brand that advertises 'the best or nothing'.
You're not listening.

The pic on the left, not with direct sun, is almost identical to the brochure picture, even though the lighting isn't the same and i'm sure your camera isn't' the same as they use.

I get that you're unhappy, but to make it seem like MB scammed you somehow when in reality, you bought something sight-unseen and are now having second thoughts, isn't right.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:32 AM

W126-500SEC
Then you have a very different brochure than the one I have.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:40 AM

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 E350 Wagon
The dash, console, and wheel don't look the same either...
Old 10-09-2017, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Then you have a very different brochure than the one I have.
I'm looking at your pictures...

Originally Posted by Wookii
The dash, console, and wheel don't look the same either...
Exactly...
Old 10-09-2017, 02:29 PM

W126-500SEC
Wait... you are claiming the 'dark' picture I posted is very close to the brochure picture I posted ?

I suggest you a. Get a new monitor in a hurry or b. Make an emergency appointment with a reputable ophthalmologist. Boy howdy.
​​
Old 10-09-2017, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Wait... you are claiming the 'dark' picture I posted is very close to the brochure picture I posted ?

I suggest you a. Get a new monitor in a hurry or b. Make an emergency appointment with a reputable ophthalmologist. Boy howdy.
​​
You're just in denial.

I work at benz, I see these cars every day. You got what you ordered, you just ordered something that you didn't see before-hand and are now unhappy. Not the first time this happens.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:45 PM

Received 139 Likes on 124 Posts
2015 ML350, 2021 BMW X3, 1991 190E
Originally Posted by Benzorbust

same here always thought of Saddle Brown as orange leather and like it
Old 10-10-2017, 05:29 AM

W126-500SEC
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
You're just in denial. I work at benz
And there we have it.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:35 AM

W126-500SEC
Originally Posted by Isawelvis
same here always thought of Saddle Brown as orange leather and like it
Funnily enough, I agree. If I had never seen either colour, and someone would've shown me the two pictures and ask me to point out what I would consider 'saddle brown' I'd have pointed out the colour in my picture. OTOH, Benz does a colour called 'hyacinth red'. I'm not very horticulturally inclined, but I seem to remember hyacinths are purple.
The naming of colours is just marketing.

Anyway, I need to go practice my 'being-in-denial' skills now
Old 10-10-2017, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
And there we have it.
See, this is why you can't be talked to logically.

You assume, since I work at Benz, i'm somehow biased?

I'm a tech, I couldn't care less about what color you choose. I also agree with you that the brochure is misleading/not accurate, I've seen this in many cases before. However, this is not MB's "fault" for you not seeing the interior in person before buying, and now being unhappy with how it actually looks in person.

I deal with lots of issues like this in service, and sadly, there isn't a technical fix for an uninformed customer. Operator error happens more than you think, and it's never good as nobody wants to take responsibility for not doing it right the first time. There's plenty of things I don't know, have to research and learn. Applies to everyone.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:21 AM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
Anyway, I need to go practice my 'being-in-denial' skills now
Practice google image search while you're at it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Saddle Brown : Caveat Emptor