GLS450 "Base" Headlights and Missing Standard Equipment Credit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 10:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
19E450A, 16C450W4, 16RRS SC Dynamic, etc
GLS450 "Base" Headlights and Missing Standard Equipment Credit

Hi all,

Apologizes if this has been brought up before... I don't browse the GLS forums as I no longer own a GL.

But I saw an ad come up on Facebook for this vehicle, and said "what the heck" — that's a GLS with some kind of base headlight that I've never seen — like it was taken off a GLC with the standard headlights and re-molded. Every time I went on the configurator online, the GLS450 always had the full active ultra-wide LED headlights as standard (and in the standard equipment list). Every one I've seen on the road (which is quite a lot) have always had those. I never saw a base headlight that looked like this, or any option that could upgrade a headlight (to the full active ultra-wide LED headlight that we all know) over this.

I took a look at the car's build sheet, and it appears as though it has a standard equipment credit for missing standard equipment (specifically surround view cameras, but the rest is cut off), as well as a LHD headlight option.

What do we think is going on here? Early build? Car that was meant originally for a different country but was sent to the US (and then programmed with any US-relevant items)? I don't know of any country in particular that has these headlights. I assume if it were an early build, they must be using these headlights in a country, somewhere. I googled the option code, D9B, and only one other vehicle came up. I imagine if it were an early build, it'd have to be super early (and the normal headlights and surround view camera produced very soon after), as there don't seem to be very many of these, at all.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Mercedes GL450
I’ve seen exactly what you’re describing, and played around with the configurator in an attempt to replicate it. In each case that I’ve noticed from my local inventory, the “sub base” GLS’s have headlights with a line going horizontally through the middle of the headlight. Definitely different from the standard headlights. The models have also been white, with the now defunct 19 inch wheels. I assume these were very early production vehicles that were used as market introduction cars. Perhaps MB wanted to get these out before having the necessary parts and sell them at an attractive (read: base) price to make a quick profit. I’m sure others on this forum would know more about the reasons behind the presence of such “sub base” models.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts
mgLipGD
What’s the VIN of one of these?
Old 10-08-2020, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by black06c230
What’s the VIN of one of these?
Here's one: 4JGFF5KE7LA053528
Old 10-08-2020, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Traverser
I’ve seen exactly what you’re describing, and played around with the configurator in an attempt to replicate it. In each case that I’ve noticed from my local inventory, the “sub base” GLS’s have headlights with a line going horizontally through the middle of the headlight. Definitely different from the standard headlights. The models have also been white, with the now defunct 19 inch wheels. I assume these were very early production vehicles that were used as market introduction cars. Perhaps MB wanted to get these out before having the necessary parts and sell them at an attractive (read: base) price to make a quick profit. I’m sure others on this forum would know more about the reasons behind the presence of such “sub base” models.
Yes, that makes sense. And they definitely have had the base wheels. But they weren't void of options either, so (like you said) perhaps they did go out before having those specific parts, but with a discount. Or perhaps they wanted to offer a discount early on, and chose those parts to change/remove thinking they weren't as important to people (as I imagine those particular headlights must be available in other markets). Or perhaps it was both, but I can't imagine they "didn't have" the parts for those ready since it didn't seem to be too early of a build (but it's possible that they ran out for a bit or something).
Old 10-08-2020, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Yeah so I can’t get info from usual places but passed the vin to a buddy at the factory and will get it ran to see. I know they will build others with options we don’t have that are sent overseas. I have seen pics of one with cloth seats over leather and other odd basic stuff that has you like 🤔 bc they are overseas cars.

will update hopefully late today.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Mercedes GL450
Originally Posted by cjaredscott
Yes, that makes sense. And they definitely have had the base wheels. But they weren't void of options either, so (like you said) perhaps they did go out before having those specific parts, but with a discount. Or perhaps they wanted to offer a discount early on, and chose those parts to change/remove thinking they weren't as important to people (as I imagine those particular headlights must be available in other markets). Or perhaps it was both, but I can't imagine they "didn't have" the parts for those ready since it didn't seem to be too early of a build (but it's possible that they ran out for a bit or something).
I think I recall someone somewhere saying that such models were “dealer test units.” I am not sure what that meant - were they training vehicles, beta/bug testing vehicles or even future loaners/test drive vehicles? Interestingly, each of these models I’ve seen online has several thousand miles on them, with no exception.

Sort of related, I remember browsing the V167 GLE forum and encountered a post where an eagle eyed shopper had found a June 2018 produced GLE for sale with a Maybach GLS interior! https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...0-i-found.html. MB sure has a lot compelling production mysteries.

Last edited by Traverser; 10-08-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 447 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
I think I recall someone somewhere saying that such models were “dealer test units.” I am not sure what that meant - were they training vehicles, beta/bug testing vehicles or even future loaners/test drive vehicles? Interestingly, each of these models I’ve seen online has several thousand miles on them, with no exception.

Sort of related, I remember browsing the V167 GLE forum and encountered a post where an eagle eyed shopper had found a June 2018 produced GLE for sale with a Maybach GLS interior! https://mbworld.org/forums/gle-class...0-i-found.html. MB sure has a lot compelling production mysteries.
Only GLS I saw like that was a pre production model that Mercedes sent us for a couple of days to display. Car went back to Mercedes. Looks like that was a factory car that was sold to that dealer as a used car.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Here is the build sheet of the car in question

Old 10-08-2020, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 474 Likes on 351 Posts
2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
I saw many of these vehicles when the GLS first came out. They built a couple hundred if not a thousand. All either white or black, with a mix of the black, brown and beige interior. About 50/50 6 seater vs 7 seater. All of them are complete base models (no upgraded trim or wheels or any options) except all had the augmented video nav. And they had about a $2500 credit for missing the Standard headlights and the surround view camera and park assist.

Here is a window sticker

Old 10-09-2020, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 650 Likes on 405 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package

You can see them if you do a search on Cars.com for used, narrow to 2020 and sort by cheapest first. Several of them out there..
Old 10-11-2020, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
You have to be a bit careful - treading some deep water here - from what I can see on the above example (Sunday night NetStar is limited as updates are going thru) - this "looks" to be a "PT" car - meaning it was built in May 2019 - "looks like" it was turned over to Engineering or Marketing as a test/demo - then it was punched/warranty start date Nov 2019 with about 3,800 miles on the clock at that time - then offered as a PT-Buy to Dealer'

This particular example - the type of PT it is - then it looks as it was sold Sept 30 to the current owner - AND - the only available warranty is the remaining 4yrs/50K miles - with no ELW or CPO warranty available for this one .

Again - I only have partial access tonight - it is kindof rare a MB dealer would belly up on what I think this PT is - normally MB dealer's "pass" and PT's go to general auction where some bandit indie non-MB dealer's snap them up.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:00 AM

I wish somebody in that thread had downloaded the photos... I'd love to see that.

Originally Posted by black06c230
Here is the build sheet of the car in question

Thanks for posting -- I'm not sure that shows anything different than the provided build sheet, but I haven't looked in-depth yet. Whether it does or doesn't, always good to have another resource, so thank you!

Originally Posted by BenjaminKohl
I saw many of these vehicles when the GLS first came out. They built a couple hundred if not a thousand. All either white or black, with a mix of the black, brown and beige interior. About 50/50 6 seater vs 7 seater. All of them are complete base models (no upgraded trim or wheels or any options) except all had the augmented video nav. And they had about a $2500 credit for missing the Standard headlights and the surround view camera and park assist.

Here is a window sticker
Interesting, I have never come across one

Originally Posted by nc211

You can see them if you do a search on Cars.com for used, narrow to 2020 and sort by cheapest first. Several of them out there..
Going to try this.

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
You have to be a bit careful - treading some deep water here - from what I can see on the above example (Sunday night NetStar is limited as updates are going thru) - this "looks" to be a "PT" car - meaning it was built in May 2019 - "looks like" it was turned over to Engineering or Marketing as a test/demo - then it was punched/warranty start date Nov 2019 with about 3,800 miles on the clock at that time - then offered as a PT-Buy to Dealer'

This particular example - the type of PT it is - then it looks as it was sold Sept 30 to the current owner - AND - the only available warranty is the remaining 4yrs/50K miles - with no ELW or CPO warranty available for this one .

Again - I only have partial access tonight - it is kindof rare a MB dealer would belly up on what I think this PT is - normally MB dealer's "pass" and PT's go to general auction where some bandit indie non-MB dealer's snap them up.
Thanks for the info — that's definitely good advice for anybody looking to purchase one of these. Could you define PT car for me please (does it stand for pre-production test?)? Interesting history for sure — definitely sounds like a pre-production test demo. Is no ELW or CPO warranty available typical for a vehicle like this? CPO I could understand, but ELW... that's interesting to me... I'd hate to find out after buying this vehicle that it couldn't be purchased if desired by the purchaser... hopefully nobody makes that mistake.

If you could provide more information when you have full access for those of us who are curious, that'd be great!

Also, for clarification purposes, what is the VIN of the example you're using (or which user posted it)? Only asking because the one I referenced has a CarFax that doesn't line up, so I'm assuming it's another one?

Also, not sure if I mentioned this, but the dealer claims that the example I provided was an ex-loaner. Maybe then some of these demo vehicles were purchased after as loaners?

Last edited by cjaredscott; 10-12-2020 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
------
What are the indications that a particular vehicle is a PT car?
Old 10-12-2020, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
As a Customer - a true "PT" will only have balance of New Car Warranty - with no ELW New Car and no CPO warranty available... that's the tip off and if buying from a non-MB dealer before you buy call a MB dealer with the VIN# and ask for pricing on ELW - if the MB dealer says "none" available then that MB is either a PT or Lemon Buy-Back (which MB dealers don't buy)
Old 10-13-2020, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
As a Customer - a true "PT" will only have balance of New Car Warranty - with no ELW New Car and no CPO warranty available... that's the tip off and if buying from a non-MB dealer before you buy call a MB dealer with the VIN# and ask for pricing on ELW - if the MB dealer says "none" available then that MB is either a PT or Lemon Buy-Back (which MB dealers don't buy)
Thanks for the info. That's good to know. Personally, I would always inquire with the manufacturer/authorized dealer about the manufacturer's warranty(ies), both existing and available, on any car I'm looking at buying (especially if I were to look at purchasing a car from a non-authorized dealer, which I have not), so it's good to know that if it's not available when it otherwise should be, it could be a PT (lemon and other title issues I would expect). Hopefully somebody looking at buying used "third-party" will benefit from this information, as it could be very helpful.

Also, what does "PT" stand for specifically? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Mercedes E350 4matic Wagon, 2018 Fiat 124 Spyder Lusso manual, 2005 Acura TSX manual
Thanks for the info. That's good to know. Personally, I would always inquire with the manufacturer/authorized dealer about the manufacturer's warranty(ies), both existing and available, on any car I'm looking at buying (especially if I were to look at purchasing a car from a non-authorized dealer, which I have not), so it's good to know that if it's not available when it otherwise should be, it could be a PT (lemon and other title issues I would expect). Hopefully somebody looking at buying used "third-party" will benefit from this information, as it could be very helpful.

Also, what does "PT" stand for specifically? Thanks in advance.
PT stands for Production Trial. I don't believe these cars are trial cars, though. They're "showroom units" or market launch cars. From my understanding, they're somewhat early builds (05/19-06/19 for these ones) that are meant to be shipped off to dealers first but most aren't used by MB internally or anything. They have a stop sale for a few weeks so prospective customers can come in and test drive a high demand vehicle that otherwise has mostly sold units incoming. Not all arrived early - these cars continued trickling in through 2020 to dealerships. Some were in loaner fleets.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I wish somebody in that thread had downloaded the photos... I'd love to see that.
I have some pics/videos and a codes sheet if you're interested. It's interesting, but it's basically just the Maybach red seat interior.