GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Factory Delays

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 08:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2021 GLS 450
Factory Delays

My GLS 450 was assembled on March 29th. Since then It's been sitting at the factory. My dealer says a dozen other customer orders are showing the same status. Factory dispatch is giving no further details.

My salesman is assuming its related to the global chip shortage or a software update because the dealers G-class are now being delayed.

Anyone else experiencing these delays or have more info to share?
Old 04-12-2021, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 GL550
Yes, I ordered by GLS 63 in November. I now have a VIN and the truck is built, but still missing some "parts". Dealer says its likely microchips, and they have not been advised by MB as to when new chips will arrive. No ETA on when the truck will be shipped.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:12 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
I mentioned in another thread that there is a global shortage of Integrated Circuits that are used primarily for vehicles. The shortage will last until the end of the year and it is not only impacting MB but every single large car manufacturer in the world. I also mentioned somewhere that if you like the vehicle in the inventory lot (and it meets all your needs) then buy it because you won't see another one in a year. Not everyone will like this answer but it is the reality of the situation.
I ordered my GLS in Feb and it was supposed to arrive in May, then it became June, then July, then August.

So when I saw a GLS with all the stuff I wanted in Seattle, I bought it and had it shipped to New York for an additional $2,000. Money well spent as I would have been waiting 9 months for a vehicle that would not have everything I wanted.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:17 PM

Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...Ddjemwhatsnews

Old 04-15-2021, 01:00 PM

2021 GLS 450
Originally Posted by donmag550
Yes, I ordered by GLS 63 in November. I now have a VIN and the truck is built, but still missing some "parts". Dealer says its likely microchips, and they have not been advised by MB as to when new chips will arrive. No ETA on when the truck will be shipped.
When you placed your order in November, when did they say your truck would be built? I was just wondering how long you've been waiting since the original delivery estimate.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:11 PM

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
2021 GLS450
when i ordered the car at the end of january, i was told to expect may/jun delivery. i reached out to my SA today and he informed me that my car will be completed on 4/29 and should arrive at the dealership (norcal) around 5/15 - 5/20. so it doesn't seem like there has been any delays on my car.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by jomama
when i ordered the car at the end of january, i was told to expect may/jun delivery. i reached out to my SA today and he informed me that my car will be completed on 4/29 and should arrive at the dealership (norcal) around 5/15 - 5/20. so it doesn't seem like there has been any delays on my car.

This is GOOD NEWS!

Please update us on developments.

Good luck.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 GL550
Originally Posted by Gary_D
When you placed your order in November, when did they say your truck would be built? I was just wondering how long you've been waiting since the original delivery estimate.
They told me build in late Feb, and 3 weeks shipping (Toronto), so I was expecting it in mid March.

HOWEVER, dealer called me a day ago to say that the truck is ready to go, and has been loaded on the rail car and is on the way! I am expecting it April 26-30.

Cant wait!

Old 04-19-2021, 09:41 AM

2021 GLS 450
My GLS 450 was assembled on March 29th. Since then It's been sitting at the factory. My dealer says a dozen other customer orders are showing the same status. Factory dispatch is giving no further details.

My salesman is assuming its related to the global chip shortage or a software update because the dealers G-class are now being delayed.

Anyone else experiencing these delays or have more info to share?
**UPDATE**

My dealer called me on Friday 4/16 and told me that there are about 1000 GLS with shipment delayed awaiting a software update. They are updating each vehicle individually then shipping. He said about 450 were completed last week in the first week of delay, so my car should ship in the next two weeks at worst.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:21 PM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
'20 GLS580, '18 S560
**UPDATE**

My dealer called me on Friday 4/16 and told me that there are about 1000 GLS with shipment delayed awaiting a software update. They are updating each vehicle individually then shipping. He said about 450 were completed last week in the first week of delay, so my car should ship in the next two weeks at worst.
My GT was tied up in Baltimore VPC for the same software update.
it took them 6 weeks to complete mine and release to transport.
Hopefully, yours will go quicker than mind did.
Old 05-10-2021, 12:48 PM

2021 GLS450
Originally Posted by Paxfobiscum
This is GOOD NEWS!

Please update us on developments.

Good luck.
got an email from my sales associate on sunday to let me know that my gls450 should arrive in 5-7 days. this is completely in line with the timeline he provided to me back in january (when i ordered the car) and late last month (when i reached out with an inquiry). he also informed me that i should be very happy to have locked in the pricing when i did, b/c the pricing on these cars now is "nuts!" given the issues people have posted about the 48v system (sounds expensive to fix!), i'm leaning towards leasing the car for 42mos. the rates seem pretty ok - can get it down under an effective rate of 2% with the multiple security deposit option.
Old 07-12-2021, 12:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2022 GLS 450 w/ AMG Night (22" AMG Wheel)
got an email from my sales associate on sunday to let me know that my gls450 should arrive in 5-7 days. this is completely in line with the timeline he provided to me back in january (when i ordered the car) and late last month (when i reached out with an inquiry). he also informed me that i should be very happy to have locked in the pricing when i did, b/c the pricing on these cars now is "nuts!" given the issues people have posted about the 48v system (sounds expensive to fix!), i'm leaning towards leasing the car for 42mos. the rates seem pretty ok - can get it down under an effective rate of 2% with the multiple security deposit option.
i ordered my gls 450 in feb 2021 and had a prod date of mid June.

I emailed my sales in third week of June and he told me the car is now in “port” and he said that means it’s in Baltimore.

on june 25 he told me the car was “ship back” to Alabama and due to chip shortage.

this whole thing didn’t make sense to me that the car was shipped then shipped back but the sales also have no idea why that is. He said the only thing I can do is wait. I asked a few more q but he doesn’t know the answer. He told me to call the 1800 customer service number and see if they can give more info to me. He said he couldnt call because that is a customer hotline. The customer service only helped me send a msg to the sales mgr and the sales mgr called me - he said it was never in Baltimore and it was never assembled. The car is not built due to chip shortage and “port” means the location of the Alabama plant. Other than wait, nothing he can do.

anyone else have similar experience ? And if anyone know who is telling me the truth as far as the car is not built vs in Baltimore (aka port?)

thanks

Last edited by takkie; 07-12-2021 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2021 GLS 580, 2022 Acura TLX, 2020 Tesla MY
Originally Posted by takkie
i ordered my gls 450 in feb 2021 and had a prod date of mid June.

I emailed my sales in third week of June and he told me the car is now in “port” and he said that means it’s in Baltimore.

on june 25 he told me the car was “ship back” to Alabama and due to chip shortage.

this whole thing didn’t make sense to me that the car was shipped then shipped back but the sales also have no idea why that is. He said the only thing I can do is wait. I asked a few more q but he doesn’t know the answer. He told me to call the 1800 customer service number and see if they can give more info to me. He said he couldnt call because that is a customer hotline. The customer service only helped me send a msg to the sales mgr and the sales mgr called me - he said it was never in Baltimore and it was never assembled. The car is not built due to chip shortage and “port” means the location of the Alabama plant. Other than wait, nothing he can do.

anyone else have similar experience ? And if anyone know who is telling me the truth as far as the car is not built vs in Baltimore (aka port?)

thanks
I am waiting for my GLS580 built in the last decade of June (initial order in Mar 2021), I just checked with my SA and got the response that car is in D30 VPC Delayed. Previous state was B90 Blocked from Shipment.
My SA is trying to get details, a bit upset that the dealership was not on top of things to inform me.

Last edited by Dreamzz2004; 07-12-2021 at 08:31 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-12-2021, 09:06 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLS 580 / 24 GMC Duramax Denali / 23 Bronco Wildtrak / 21 Jeep JLUR
Dreamzz - FWIW the sales manager emailed me an update today about a 580 I ordered in April unprovoked to tell me everything is trending a bit better and he may see my unit a couple weeks earlier than planned. However...he did mention the only issue he is aware of is the infamous chip shortage and it affects the rear tailgate operation. He also said there are no more GSL450/580 order slots for him to order, not sure if MY changeover or what. He said new inventory is almost non-existent and I was wise to order when I did. Cars.com has 43, New GLS580 listed for sale in all the US at the moment...there were several hundred back in March/April.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dreamzz2004
I am waiting for my GLS580 built in the last decade of June (initial order in Mar 2021), I just checked with my SA and got the response that car is in D30 VPC Delayed. Previous state was B90 Blocked from Shipment.
My SA is trying to get details, a bit upset that the dealership was not on top of things to inform me.
atleast your dealer is telling you these "codes"... mine didnt tell me anything other than just wait.

What does D30 VPC Delayed means?
Old 07-12-2021, 10:43 PM

jomama, did you car arrive?
Old 07-12-2021, 11:14 PM

atleast your dealer is telling you these "codes"... mine didnt tell me anything other than just wait.

What does D30 VPC Delayed means?
Waiting to hear back from the SA, will update once I have any info.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:28 AM

2021 GLS450
jomama, did you car arrive?
yep, i picked it up on 5/14 and have already put 3000+ miles on it. i must be one of the lucky ones to have just skirted the chip shortage issue. when i picked my car up, there were only 2 other GLSs on the lot…compare that to about a dozen or more when we placed our order back in late january.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:47 AM

SA updated that they don't have details. Car is built but delayed due to some part shortage.
I have the VIN but not sure how to get more details.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:55 PM

thanks. I am in ny. are you also in east coast? I am still trying to find out what is “port”. And what exactly is the shipping process from Alabama to east coast.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:41 PM

thanks. I am in ny. are you also in east coast? I am still trying to find out what is “port”. And what exactly is the shipping process from Alabama to east coast.
yes i am in Central NJ and was told by my SA there is no port now and the car will be shipped directly from Alabama.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:50 AM

yes i am in Central NJ and was told by my SA there is no port now and the car will be shipped directly from Alabama.
So I spoke to the sales, and he told me it wasnt in baltimore - he saw a status update in June that says VPC processing and assumed it was at baltimore port becuase thats where the VPC is. He said he wasnt aware that the VPC for GLS is in Alabama.

At any rate, that atleast clear my confusion why it was in baltimore and what not, it was never there.

He did tell me there is a VIN number for the vehicle but the latest status update for the car is "Block for Shipment" on July 2nd.

No more updates post that.

Did any of you got more updates to it?

thanks
Old 07-20-2021, 01:04 PM

2021 GLS450
So I spoke to the sales, and he told me it wasnt in baltimore - he saw a status update in June that says VPC processing and assumed it was at baltimore port becuase thats where the VPC is. He said he wasnt aware that the VPC for GLS is in Alabama.
fwiw, on the build sheet my sales associate printed out for me when i ordered back in jan, it says Region: WESTERN and VPC: Long Beach across the top. i was a little confused so i asked my SA whether they ship the cars from AL to CA. as many have mentioned here, west coast cars are delivered via rail, so my car never went anywhere close to Long Beach. so in my estimation, your dealer prob made an honest/uninformed mistake in telling you VPC was baltimore as your paperwork likely indicated baltimore. as for why mercedes lists the wrong VPCs for cars built in AL, who knows.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:28 PM

At any rate, that atleast clear my confusion why it was in baltimore and what not, it was never there.

He did tell me there is a VIN number for the vehicle but the latest status update for the car is "Block for Shipment" on July 2nd.

No more updates post that.

Did any of you got more updates to it?

thanks
Last checked with the SA last Friday and similar to you my car is in "Block for Shipment" status. So looks like we are both stuck in the same boat.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:14 PM

Last checked with the SA last Friday and similar to you my car is in "Block for Shipment" status. So looks like we are both stuck in the same boat.
just out of curiosity, how often do you check with your SA on the status of the car? I would love to check with him everyday, but i dont want to annoy people also. So i have been doing once every 2 weeks.

on my vehicle, the last update in the system was July 2, and the one before that was June 20 (My prod date).. do you know how frequent the plant updates these status?

thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Factory Delays