2022 GLS v 2023 GLS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R&GLS Class
2022 GLS v 2023 GLS

Hello, All,
I've read through a bunch of these threads, and they've been very helpful. Thank you. I am looking at replacing a GLS with new model. I found a 2022 on the lot that is well equipped, including with 549 MBUX, U19 Augmented Video for Nav and wireless charging. I mention these specifically, bc from what I gather, they are the main items being left out of builds due to chip shortages. Please correct me if I am mistaken and there are other "omitted" items to look for.

I am aware there may be a mild facelift to 2023 GLS. Other changes include dropping blue color and making pano standard. Does anyone know of any other significant changes?

Questions:
Is drivers assist package worth it? my previous car was another brand's first issue with these same safety features, and I found most were dangerous (routinely tried to steer me off the road, emergency brakes engaged for no apparent reason whatsoever). I am good with beep warnings and back up camera v. ghost taking over my steering wheel or brakes unnecessarily / dangerously.
Is AMG package worth it? Is it just the aesthetics of body colored moldings?! I wouldn't have noticed and wouldn't think to order such a subjective difference, but again, this one is on the lot and ready for purchase.
Are bigger wheels only for show with less function? I've read they cause a bumpier ride and couldn't care less how they look, so do I put these in the "con" column of the lot vehicle with a "pro" marked in the order column for normal tires?

Sorry for all the questions but thank anyone willing to give some guidance to someone who is not a tech / car person. I mourn dials and buttons and am also seriously considering finding a pre-2016 model with low miles but with the warning beeps and back up camera. I had one 10y ago and think that may have been a better car than all this new computer generated touch screen business that seems to have tanked Mercedes reliability rating. Terrible idea?!

Many thanks again.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:50 PM

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
I think you've hit some of the big chip shortage issues there. Massage seats seems to be another one that were not available for a brief time.

No facelift for 2023, pretty much the same exact car other than pricing and the changes you noted.

I really like the driver assistance package and find it generally works really well. Has a couple of "quirks" like most cars but don't find it too intrusive and many things can be turned off if it doesn't work for you, but overall, its really good, in my opinion. There's some discussion on it here and/or on the GLE 167 forum, so take a search to decide if it is something you want. If you aren't going to use the driving assistance features, no need to have it (although there are some safety features we hope to never have to use) but it seems like you would prefer not to have/use those features.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R&GLS Class
Thank you, z28it1! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond! I read there is to be a mild facelift for GLS, and a “spy mule” with camouflage was recently spotted? It seems quite mild, so I am not that concerned. I will check out those other threads you suggested. Many thanks again for the input!
Old 08-03-2022, 12:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
GLS450
Originally Posted by z28lt1
I really like the driver assistance package and find it generally works really well.
Full agreement with that statement. Driver asssist is really nice when taking long interstate trips w/ lane assist and adaptive cruise. Only 1 time in 4000+ miles would I say the car did something funky I didn’t expect (braking). It misreads school zone speed limit signs occasionally but outside these two things it works pretty well. I would buy it again.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:21 AM

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
Originally Posted by TrailDog
Thank you, z28it1! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond! I read there is to be a mild facelift for GLS, and a “spy mule” with camouflage was recently spotted? It seems quite mild, so I am not that concerned. I will check out those other threads you suggested. Many thanks again for the input!
The 2023 order guide is out and has no mention of the facelift, so unless Mercedes does a massive turn-around (which they don't seem to do, but I guess is not impossible), the facelift will be for 2024 model year.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLS
Originally Posted by jhhj
Full agreement with that statement. Driver asssist is really nice when taking long interstate trips w/ lane assist and adaptive cruise. Only 1 time in 4000+ miles would I say the car did something funky I didn’t expect (braking). It misreads school zone speed limit signs occasionally but outside these two things it works pretty well. I would buy it again.
I agree as well. If you do lot of long interstate driving or lot of stop and go traffic commute, the driver assistant is super useful. It not prefect and I don't like certain aspects either, for example, I find it handing in twisty road very jerky to my taste but overall its quite good. I did over 100 miles on US-2 in WA state without any throttle input.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:15 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
GLS 450 (2022)
Questions:
Is drivers assist package worth it? my previous car was another brand's first issue with these same safety features, and I found most were dangerous (routinely tried to steer me off the road, emergency brakes engaged for no apparent reason whatsoever). I am good with beep warnings and back up camera v. ghost taking over my steering wheel or brakes unnecessarily / dangerously.

I have it and love it especially for long trips. I recently had to make a 1200 mile trip all in one go due to a family illness, and the automation package made this pretty easy. I love the safety it offers, but there is a learning curve. If you're not a tech type, though, it may not be for you because you do need to understand what the car is doing. The emergency braking already probably saved me from one fender bender.

Is AMG package worth it? Is it just the aesthetics of body colored moldings?! I wouldn't have noticed and wouldn't think to order such a subjective difference, but again, this one is on the lot and ready for purchase.

It's nice but aside from the nice wheels,
barely noticeable.

Are bigger wheels only for show with less function? I've read they cause a bumpier ride and couldn't care less how they look, so do I put these in the "con" column of the lot vehicle with a "pro" marked in the order column for normal tires?

Larger wheels look great and ride fine. I always understood that larger wheels rolled easier and more smoothly, not the other way around. One thing thing keep in mind is that with some of the 23" setups your rear tires will be wider than the fronts meaning that you eventually need to buy two different tires when they wear out, and there are no front to back rotations.

I love my new GLS 450 except for 1) the hood is much higher than my old GL 450 and is a bit of an obstruction, and 2) the straight six engine as compared to the V8 in my old GL is louder and sounds more like a truck engine than I would like. But overall a great car and I would buy again.

Last edited by Scott Schmidt; 08-04-2022 at 09:18 AM. Reason: typos
Old 08-04-2022, 12:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GLS
Originally Posted by Scott Schmidt
Questions:
One thing thing keep in mind is that with some of the 23" setups your rear tires will be wider than the fronts meaning that you eventually need to buy two different tires when they wear out, and there are no front to back rotations.
Even with 21" wheels the front and back are of different size and can't be rotated front and back.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
X167 GLS450 W113 280SL W463.227 300GE
IMHO it is incredible in 2022 NOT to order a car with these assistance systems. DISTRONIC/adaptive cruise have been around for literally decades and are very well proven technologies - yes, there are iterations/bolt-ons that do more/try more that may have mixed added value, but the basic adaptive cruise is essential and I cannot imagine ordering a car since 2010 without it. Even the Mazda/Kia/Toyota/Honda set come with this capability as standard now. To not order it now is like buying a car without Bluetooth phone capability in 2005 because 'will it catch on?' - you end up realizing the car is dated right off the lot and it tough/impossible to add later. To be honest it is unbelievable Mercedes and BMW do not have this as standard feature now, like electric windows.

I would add that the Stop&Go refinement is real saver of your anxiety and anger in stop-go traffic. It basically eliminates the oh sht moment when the car in front unexpectedly brakes.

Overall, adaptive cruise is unfortunately often a bit tough to explain succinctly, and needs to be tried/used/gotten used to to really see the benefit, but it absolutely defines the point in time of difference between old tech and new tech cars. If I turned up at Hertz and there was Mazda CX-3 (with adaptive as standard) or a GLS without it, I would take the Mazda every time.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 657 Likes on 409 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
I'm late to the party, but my $.02 (before tax),,,

21" wheels are the staggered setup. 20 and 19 are not, meaning you can rotate those. Of interest, mileage wear. The 21 staggered setup will eat the rear tires up faster than the front. Don't believe me? Go to tire rack and look at the tire options for the 20 and 21, narrow down to Michelin and then read the tread life warranty. On the non-staggered setup, the warranty is 55k miles. On the staggered setup, it's the same 55k, but only for the front tires, and ½ the mileage for the rear.

Mine has the 21's, and I just ordered my 3rd set of rear tires at 50k miles. Car came with the Pirelli's, they lasted 25k on the rear and were doing fine on the front. I switched over to Michelin all around for personal preference at that 25k mark. I'm now at 50k, and on the wear bars on the rear, and about ½ way through the fronts.

The ride? Yeah, I think it may be a bit more choppy, certainly more planted in the rear, as you would expect with the massively wide rear tires. I test drove a GLS with the 20's and then bought one with the 21's. The one I bought certainly feels more rigid than the one I test drove, but not enough to really bother me. I personally like the look of the 21's and the staggered setup, but that comes at a price of living with it, obviously.

I've had loaner and rental cars with the driver's assist tech. Honestly the best version I've seen was on a new Kia Soul earlier this year as a rental in Chicago. But would I require it on a car I was purchasing? Personally, no, but that's all my own opinion. I don't trust it, especially on a tall and heavy SUV. I don't want laser cruise, or steering assist. I consider that to be my job. But again, just my own personal opinion here, and can't fault anyone who prefers it. I think it's all personal taste. For the record, my favorite button in my now 8 year old E350 is the one that turns off the screen while leaving the stereo on, and that car doesn't even have blind spot assist either, and I love it!

AMG Package. I'm split on the whole AMG division in general. Do I like the looks? Sure! I think it squares up the front quite nicely with that lower bumper. Ours is not AMG, and I like it just as much. Would I if I didn't have the 21's staggered wheels and the rear roof spoiler? Maybe not. But I view the differences between the two in similar lanes as the "luxury" version of the E350 and the "sport" version.

But what I will not pay extra for from the AMG side of the house are the brakes! Lesson learned on my "sport" E - NO DRILLED ROTORS! They just get caked up with brake dust, and seem to warp very quickly, and make a groaning noise after about 10k miles as the pads drag across them. I went through two sets of them on my E (they're on the front as part of the AMG appearance package for the "sport" version of the sedan). Neither set went past 20k miles before pulsing and groaning. I tossed in the towel about 15k miles ago for non-drilled, and not a problem ever since. Completely silent and stops on a dime. Our non-AMG GLS is the same way - solid rotors, and have been flawless now for 50k miles with lots of stop/go. Probably the best braking system I've ever owned before to be honest (I've never owned a BMW).