Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 GLS450
2020 GLS 450 Tire recommendations

Hey all.

At 42,000 miles, I now need my 4th set of tires 🤬

I'm done getting them through the dealership.

Any Recommendations? Costco has the following:Bridgestone - DUELER H/L 400 MOE

or

Michelin - CrossClimate2

any other recc’s?

The following users liked this post:
Dinismb (12-12-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 03:20 PM

Received 163 Likes on 122 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
Where are you located? Are you looking for winter oriented or performance oriented A/S tires? All Seasons have UHP, Grand Touring, Touring, All Weather options...

Here is summary of tire rack tests of summer/all season/all weather/winter tires breaking distances (mph & feet) and Michelin tire comparison:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=270
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=272

Michelin CrossClimate 2 is a very good winter oriented All Weather A/S tire. It has similar pattern to Alpin 5 winter tires that I have. It lags some on the wet performance, but as the tyre reviews below says there is no perfect tire, so choose the one that meets your requirements:

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre-Tes...-Tyre-Test.htm

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=742439515
Old 11-17-2022, 08:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS 450. Have a Holden Commodore, Jeep, truck, and more
What wheels do you have/What size tires do you need? Have you had uneven tire wear? What tires have you run previously and what kinds of life have you gotten out of each? What type of driving do you do?
Old 11-23-2022, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 654 Likes on 407 Posts
2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
Something is wrong if you’re chewing up tires that quickly! I don’t think the AMG GLS even eats them that quickly, and they basically eat the rears between oil changes.

I’m on the Michelin Primacy tires with our GLS. I replaced all at 25k miles from the OEM Pirelli’s as the rears were done (21” staggered wheels). I’m now at 50k and just put two new Michelins on the rear and left the fronts alone, as they’re fine.

Michelin warranty specifically says 50k miles, unless staggered (which is us with the 21” rims). If staggered, the rears last 25k and front will last 50k. I’d say they’re quite accurate with their estimates. I was close enough to the west bars on the rear at 25k that I could hear them and want comfortable with them in rain. The front is about 50% used up at this point, meaning they should get close to 50k on them (I’ll probably pull them when they’re around 45k on them though).

I’m thinking more car related than tire related for your situation. Even driving like a mad man should at least get you 15k on tires!

The following users liked this post:
Dinismb (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 10:33 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor, 2008 GL 320 CDI, 2008 ML320 CDI, 2016 GLE 300d AMG Night Package
Originally Posted by nc211
Something is wrong if you’re chewing up tires that quickly! I don’t think the AMG GLS even eats them that quickly, and they basically eat the rears between oil changes.

I’m on the Michelin Primacy tires with our GLS. I replaced all at 25k miles from the OEM Pirelli’s as the rears were done (21” staggered wheels). I’m now at 50k and just put two new Michelins on the rear and left the fronts alone, as they’re fine.

Michelin warranty specifically says 50k miles, unless staggered (which is us with the 21” rims). If staggered, the rears last 25k and front will last 50k. I’d say they’re quite accurate with their estimates. I was close enough to the west bars on the rear at 25k that I could hear them and want comfortable with them in rain. The front is about 50% used up at this point, meaning they should get close to 50k on them (I’ll probably pull them when they’re around 45k on them though).

I’m thinking more car related than tire related for your situation. Even driving like a mad man should at least get you 15k on tires!
My brother just bought his gls 6 months ago and the rears are bald. Only 8k miles. 23” amg wheels with 325/35/23. Pirelli p zero is the only choice tire. Btw there is no warranty listed on the tire. He is looking to switch to 20” all season non stagered wheels and tires.

So there is absolutely nothing wrong except that Mercedes decided to put slicks on this big SUV.
Old 12-12-2022, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dinismb
My brother just bought his gls 6 months ago and the rears are bald. Only 8k miles. 23” amg wheels with 325/35/23. Pirelli p zero is the only choice tire. Btw there is no warranty listed on the tire. He is looking to switch to 20” all season non stagered wheels and tires.

So there is absolutely nothing wrong except that Mercedes decided to put slicks on this big SUV.
Is he looking to sell the amg wheels?

Has anyone run the Michelin and Pirelli's on the staggered 21" wheels? Comparison between the 2 as far as performance, comfort, noise, etc?
Old 12-12-2022, 11:22 PM

2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor, 2008 GL 320 CDI, 2008 ML320 CDI, 2016 GLE 300d AMG Night Package
Originally Posted by LeadfootCJ7

Has anyone run the Michelin and Pirelli's on the staggered 21" wheels? Comparison between the 2 as far as performance, comfort, noise, etc?
Yes. PM me for a quick sale deal.

Last edited by Dinismb; 12-12-2022 at 11:34 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12-12-2022, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Read my post a few up.

Not surprised to hear the AMG tires at 8k. Ive heard that before as well.

me personally, i love MB, but I avoid AMG with my choices. Bad experieces with their brakes on my E350 (been fine ever since ditching the their drilled rotors amd oads for solid rotors from fcp). Neighbor had AMG E53s that ate its own motor at 14k miles, and my trusted mechanic calls it the “All Money Gone” option package. Cosmetically, I like it (bumpers, tasteful spoiler, stance), but mechanically, not impressed in real life daily living with it.
Old 12-13-2022, 12:49 AM

Read my post a few up.

Not surprised to hear the AMG tires at 8k. Ive heard that before as well.

me personally, i love MB, but I avoid AMG with my choices. Bad experieces with their brakes on my E350 (been fine ever since ditching the their drilled rotors amd oads for solid rotors from fcp). Neighbor had AMG E53s that ate its own motor at 14k miles, and my trusted mechanic calls it the “All Money Gone” option package. Cosmetically, I like it (bumpers, tasteful spoiler, stance), but mechanically, not impressed in real life daily living with it.
No no no it has nothing to do with amg wheels. I have amgs on 2 of my cars. Its the friken pirelli formula 1 tires. Theyre made for racing I guess - really high performance.
Ive always had issues with pirellis personally. I only use Continental especially the LX25 because I only drive SUVs now.

Its never about the wheels unless theyre bent/damaged/cracked. Its always the tires that cause issues.

Last edited by Dinismb; 12-13-2022 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:30 AM

Read my post a few up.
I saw that. I was curious if one offered better grip in the dry/wet or if one had less road noise etc. Did you noticed much difference other than the life of the tires?
Old 12-13-2022, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I saw that. I was curious if one offered better grip in the dry/wet or if one had less road noise etc. Did you noticed much difference other than the life of the tires?
the michelins grip better in my opinion, and feel more “mature” for the car, if that makes any sense? Road noise is great until you get about 80% down to the wear bars, then they tend to get a bit noisy. The Pirelli’s did not get louder as they got down to the wear bar on the rear. I think the Pirelli’s would’ve lasted a little longer on the front too when compared to the michelins. When i replaced the OE Pirellis at 25k miles (because of the backs), I did all 4 over to Michelin. Now that the michelin fronts have 25k on now too, I can say the pirelli’s looked a lot better when they had the same mileage on them on the front as well.

I might try Continental next when the current fronts have the 50 and the new backs are at 25k again. Depends on price though too, since the car basically eats tires like the cookie monster eats a cookie.

except for in cold situations, i think the pirerelli and michelins are a pretty close match to eachother. Ive found the michelins to be one of the cheapest options though, which is surprising.

I do not like Pirelli tires in freezing temps. They tend to get harder than the michelins and therefor less grip. I had Pirelli’s on my 2015 VW GTI as OE. In the cold, that car would slide around way too much, and utterly useless with any type of snow on the ground. I had that car tuned (APR stage 1) that increased the HP from 205 to around 315. I could spin the Pirelli’s in 4th gear. I put Michelins on it, and could hardly spin past 1st gear. Thing was insanely over powered for a FWD car (and fun beyond belief)! I miss that pocket rocket.

Last edited by nc211; 12-13-2022 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2022, 10:44 AM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
2015 MB S550 & 2020 MB GLS 450
As another data point, I purchased a 20 GLS 450 a couple of weeks ago. It has 19" wheels and Michelin CrossClimate tires with 6-7/32 remaining tread. The dealership I use has a dedicated tire person and, not being familiar with the tires, I asked. I was told that they are great tires for the GLS with the only downside being they "get a little noisy towards the end of their life."
Old 12-14-2022, 02:13 PM

the michelins grip better in my opinion, and feel more “mature” for the car, if that makes any sense? Road noise is great until you get about 80% down to the wear bars, then they tend to get a bit noisy. The Pirelli’s did not get louder as they got down to the wear bar on the rear. I think the Pirelli’s would’ve lasted a little longer on the front too when compared to the michelins. When i replaced the OE Pirellis at 25k miles (because of the backs), I did all 4 over to Michelin. Now that the michelin fronts have 25k on now too, I can say the pirelli’s looked a lot better when they had the same mileage on them on the front as well.

I might try Continental next when the current fronts have the 50 and the new backs are at 25k again. Depends on price though too, since the car basically eats tires like the cookie monster eats a cookie.

except for in cold situations, i think the pirerelli and michelins are a pretty close match to eachother. Ive found the michelins to be one of the cheapest options though, which is surprising.

I do not like Pirelli tires in freezing temps. They tend to get harder than the michelins and therefor less grip. I had Pirelli’s on my 2015 VW GTI as OE. In the cold, that car would slide around way too much, and utterly useless with any type of snow on the ground. I had that car tuned (APR stage 1) that increased the HP from 205 to around 315. I could spin the Pirelli’s in 4th gear. I put Michelins on it, and could hardly spin past 1st gear. Thing was insanely over powered for a FWD car (and fun beyond belief)! I miss that pocket rocket.
Good info. I live in a warmer climate (Texas) and rarely see freezing temps. Michelin are good tires, but I haven't had great experiences personally, but the reviews for the replacements that for the 21" wheels seem very good and, as you mentioned, the pricing is very good. .