GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Turning on AC for front also turns on second and third row - how to disable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2023 GLS 450
Turning on AC for front also turns on second and third row - how to disable?

I suppose if I was always toting people around this would be great to have but I’d like to disable the auto turning on of the AC to the second and third rows when I enable for the driver. I’m sure it’s a button I’m missing but I’m at a loss to find it. Any help?? TIA
Old 05-23-2024, 08:46 AM

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
You have to bring up the full Climate menu to control the 2nd and 3rd row. I believe the button is next to the fan speed control. It will however take longer to cool the vehicle if you only use the front vents. I just use the sync button and keep everything at the same temp.

Last edited by jkaetz; 05-23-2024 at 08:47 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jkaetz:
jtjbt20x (05-24-2024), LeadfootCJ7 (05-23-2024), mikapen (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
Check that the 2nd and 3rd row AC controls are OFF.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:22 AM

2023 GLS 450
Yes, I know how to do that but unfortunately I have to do it every time. What I would like to do is be able to turn on the AC and NOT have the 2nd and 3rd rows automatically turn on every time. Is there a way that i can make it so that when I turn on the AC only the front row comes on and the 2nd and 3rd rows stay off?
Old 05-23-2024, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by wanderlush
Yes, I know how to do that but unfortunately I have to do it every time. What I would like to do is be able to turn on the AC and NOT have the 2nd and 3rd rows automatically turn on every time. Is there a way that i can make it so that when I turn on the AC only the front row comes on and the 2nd and 3rd rows stay off?
Can you elaborate on this? Are you turning the whole system off/on? Using the AC button to turn off only the AC? Using the fan button to turn off the fan?

If memory serves, on ours you can use the fan button to effectively turn off the system, and then turn it back on at the previous settings. That said I don't think there are many people who turn the system off/on and don't sync the zones.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:15 PM

2023 GLS 450
Sure thing. Here is what happens:
1) I get into car, turn car on, then turn the AC fan on by pressing the fan switch and turning it to Power 1. I then set it to blow where I want it to blow (windshield, driver, etc).
2) When I do this, the AC turns on and begins blowing cold at me which is great. It ALSO turns on the vents for both the second row AND the third row. I do not want this to happen. I only need the front row vents to work because there are no other passengers in the car.
3) I then, on the touchscreen, press the second row and turn off the AC and then press the third row and turn off the AC. This leaves the AC on in the front row (which I want) and properly turns it off for the back two rows.

When I turn off the car, say to go into the house or something, and come back out to the car, if I left the AC fan on setting 1 then it resumes AND it remembers that I turned it off for the other two rows. BUT, if I turn the fan off, say because I am using the windows now or just don't need the AC, then the next time I turn the fan back on to power 1 it remembers my vent settings in the front AND remembers my temperature but does not remember that I turned it off for rows 2 and 3 and so it turns them back on.

So the question is...how do I get it to remember that I don't want rows 2 and 3 to have their vents on and AC working back there?
Old 05-24-2024, 02:14 PM

Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts
a
1) I get into car, turn car on, then turn the AC fan on by pressing the fan switch and turning it to Power 1. I then set it to blow where I want it to blow (windshield, driver, etc).
2) When I do this, the AC turns on and begins blowing cold at me which is great. It ALSO turns on the vents for both the second row AND the third row. I do not want this to happen. I only need the front row vents to work because there are no other passengers in the car.
3) I then, on the touchscreen, press the second row and turn off the AC and then press the third row and turn off the AC. This leaves the AC on in the front row (which I want) and properly turns it off for the back two rows.

When I turn off the car, say to go into the house or something, and come back out to the car, if I left the AC fan on setting 1 then it resumes AND it remembers that I turned it off for the other two rows. BUT, if I turn the fan off, say because I am using the windows now or just don't need the AC, then the next time I turn the fan back on to power 1 it remembers my vent settings in the front AND remembers my temperature but does not remember that I turned it off for rows 2 and 3 and so it turns them back on.

So the question is...how do I get it to remember that I don't want rows 2 and 3 to have their vents on and AC working back there?
This is normal behavior. I don't know any way around it.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:33 PM

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
2012 E Cabrio, 2015 GL x 2 & 2024 GLS

I understand what you're trying to do, but I don't think I'd expect it to be able to do that. The idea is that the car is set to reach a certain temperature quickly. It's the most efficient way to cool the whole car quickly, rather than having hot air only come from the front, then mixing with the warmer air in the back.
The following users liked this post:
mikapen (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 05:03 PM

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts
'23 GLS450
Echoing what others are saying, I'd also like to have the HVAC vents "memorize" which were on/off but I just don't think it's possible to make it persistent!
Old 05-24-2024, 09:39 PM

Likely the closest you can get is to leave the fan set to low instead of off and hit the AC button to disable the compressor.
Old 05-25-2024, 12:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
GLS 450
I suppose if I was always toting people around this would be great to have but I’d like to disable the auto turning on of the AC to the second and third rows when I enable for the driver. I’m sure it’s a button I’m missing but I’m at a loss to find it. Any help?? TIA
Would it work to turn second row seat climate controls (using the control panel located in the second row) to 'off'? I think the 'off' setting remains 'off' after re-starting the car.

Last edited by wyatt88; 05-25-2024 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:55 AM

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts
'23 GLS450
Originally Posted by wyatt88
Would it work to turn second row seat climate controls (using the control panel located in the second row) to 'off'? I think the 'off' setting remains 'off' after re-starting the car.
I turn the other rows off all the time when I'm the only driver. It never maintains the setting on restart.
Old 05-25-2024, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,189 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by AKSwift
I understand what you're trying to do, but I don't think I'd expect it to be able to do that. The idea is that the car is set to reach a certain temperature quickly. It's the most efficient way to cool the whole car quickly, rather than having hot air only come from the front, then mixing with the warmer air in the back.
I agree, and have found that it's more drafty while the car warms up.
I don't have a rear zone, but it's easy to open, close, and aim the vents from the driver's seat, so I've compared. (I know the back floor vents are still open.)
If I close off the back vents, I get a blast of cold air coming from back as the front vents exchange with the back.
So I always keep the rear vents fully open and aimed to the rear.

Last edited by mikapen; 05-25-2024 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-19-2024, 11:36 AM

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
2024 GLS450
Turn off “sync” and the car will leave the rear HVAC off.