GLS Class (X167) Produced 2020 to present

Shoutout to Elebest!! ILS ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS & Full screen Carplay update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 740 Likes on 478 Posts
Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Shoutout to Elebest!! ILS+ ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS & Full screen Carplay update

First, a HUGE shoutout to Max from Elebest ( @EleBest - forum sponsor/vendor for coding services)! Once again, he proved himself to be incredibly honest and reliable. He saved my "a$$" yesterday when I ran into trouble with the car the night before a road trip.

I owe all of you a few updates as promised: 1. CarPlay module installation issues; 2. CarPlay Full screen update: 3. ILS+ Adaptive Headlights Coding (did it 2-weeks ago)

1. CarPlay Installation Issues:
Story: I received the full-screen Apple CarPlay module (from another vendor—details in point #2) and rushed to install it the night before our trip. I had to move and unplug the passenger seat plugs to fit the unit underneath. Then after installation, the car displayed an SRS airbag error (because I didn’t disconnect the battery negative terminal before unplugging the seat cables). I went to AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts around 8-9 PM to try to clear the error just before they close. However, they both said hat their policy only allows them to read codes, not clear them. I tried to explain the situation being urgent as am traveling tomorrow, and regardless we I found in both cases that their tools didn’t work for newer Mercedes models.

Went back home I messages Elebest on WhatsAp, who did ILS coding on my GLS before and also my W2223, and turned out he was traveling out of town and out of work/office.... but still didn't shy away from helping. My laptop had the software he installed from previous ILS coding, and from his phone while traveling he signed to TeamViewer app on my PC, virtually connected my laptop that is connected to the car via OBD, and within 3 minutes he cleared the code. He was in a restaurant!! ---> This is how much I appreciate this guy.
Point is: if you buy the carplay unit, make sure to remove the negative pole from the battery to prevent the airbag message otherwise u'll have to clear codes later.

2. Full Screen Apple CarPlay module:
I bought the CarPlay Box for full screen mode from Kremersino Store (see their website or find them on AliExpress). Installation was easy and I just followed their video for the GLE (same as GLS). Works great, and syncs with my phone each time I get into the car within 3 seconds (actually faster than factory wired connection). I can still use the Mbenz factory for music to get high quality sound. I also enabled the AC temp and settings toggle window from the Advanced Setting menu in the modules setting so it shows up even when in full carplay screen (see photo #1 and #2, for the full screen caplay as well as the AC readings disappear 2 seconds after changing temps)

3. ILS+ Adaptive Headlights
I also owe you an update on the ILS adaptive headlights coding that Elebest did for me. I did that 2 weeks ago, just a day after I bought my new-to-me GLS. The functionality works great, he also coded it to be functional even at 15 MPH. I contacted him, no equipment needed, no tools renting or wait time, as I only needed my laptop with TeamViewer access to him within 10 min. He installed all his software tools remotely, and process was done within 15 min. Other stuff was Auto Stop/Go memory, and driving mode (Individual) memory. Also tried AMG and Maybach infotainment theme, but asked him to remove as I felt they are too fancy for a car that mostly my wife and family drive as I daily a Sedan.
See photo #3 and #4 for the ILS adaptive headlights. They say that the GLS has the brightest headlights allowed by low in the US, and this has just made it even better. Wish I know how to upload a video here!

Full Screen Carplay

AC window toggle - disappears 2 seconds after adjusting AC in full carplay screen

ILS adaptive headlights operation with a tunnel around the car far away. Coding done by Max from Elebest

ILS operation in settings. Coding done by Max from Elebest

Last edited by S_W222; Yesterday at 02:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by S_W222:
NbyNW (Yesterday), wildta (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 726 Likes on 540 Posts
GLE 580
Elebest always seemed like a promisingly reliable coder like RJ. He wasn't around when I had my ILS programmed. I like RJ but he is limited in his programming. For example, I asked about programming ILS+ to a lower speed but he said he didn't offer that. Glad to hear you had a great experience with Elebest.

With #2, does the navi guidance still display on the HUD when you're using the new CP system? Please do keep a list of nits with it and update us. You're the first one on here to install and post about using one of these fullscreen boxes. This has really piqued my interest in this box now. Thank you for being the Guinea pig.

Last edited by wildta; Yesterday at 12:37 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Current/Last 5-years: GLS,X5,Tesla,Accord; Sold:S560;S550,2x X7; X5;BMW 530e;Lincoln Navigator;LS460
Originally Posted by wildta
Elebest always seemed like a promising programmer like RJ. He wasn't around when I had my ILS programmed. I like RJ but he is limited in his programming. For example, I asked about programming ILS+ to a lower speed but he said he didn't offer that. Glad to hear you had a great experience with Elebest.

With #2, does the navi guidance still display on the HUD when you're using the new CP system? Please do keep a list of nits with it and update us. You're the first one on here to install and post about using one of these fullscreen boxes. This has really piqued my interest in this box now. Thank you for being the Guinea pig.
I tried/contacted every single coder known for Mbenz and on the forum. Elebest was extremely quite, no pressure, no weird or sales pitches and the experience has always been personalized, respectful reputation, and I appreciate that he'd even turn WhatsApp video on when he's done working on your car to confirm things are working (good to see in person who u r dealing with). He's the best for what I want. He's too busy sometimes to be even around here that often, but he always responded to me quickly on forum messages or via WhatsApp, and to me what I care about is that his method of coding can't be matched to anything else I've seen. RJ was also great sure, but I still prefer the quick responsive nature of Elebest.

Next mod: I'll be ordering from him next the factory OEM air balance system, he said he can help with installation remotely as well and will do coding. I haven't purchased that yet but planning to do so sometime this Fall.

About your CarPlay question: No, the new carplay does not sync with driver infotainment or car system, but that's exactly what I wanted. This way I can run both, car navigation that will show map-like on the driver screen as a 2nd navigation method, and also carplay. With the car native CarPlay, you wouldn't be able to do that (Carplay will cancel out car-factory navigation and would be limited to turn by turn as it comes from Carplay). I haven't contacted the CarPlay vendor to see if there is anyone around it but I like it that way anyway. What I really want though is for the steering wheel capacitive touch to work to control carplay... right now only the central console touch pad works (or the screen touch as well), although the volume adjustment and Siri button on steering still works for CarPlay.

Last edited by S_W222; Yesterday at 12:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wildta (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,635 Likes on 1,205 Posts
'21 AMG53 wDPP & ARC, 19 GLC300 - Former- 10&14 ML BlueTecs, 20 GLE450 E-ABC, 15 Cayenne D, 17 Macan
Originally Posted by S_W222
First, a HUGE shoutout to Max from Elebest ( @EleBest - forum sponsor/vendor for coding services)! Once again, he proved himself to be incredibly honest and reliable.
<<<<<<>>>>>>
See photo #3 and #4 for the ILS adaptive headlights. They say that the GLS has the brightest headlights allowed by low in the US, and this has just made it even better. Wish I know how to upload a video here!
<<<<<<>>>>>>
RJ Automotive says that he could brighten the lights but cautioned that it might cause "flickering."

I opted not to have the extra brightness coded, but brighter is better in my mind.

Do you see any evidence of "flickering?"
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mikapen
RJ Automotive says that he could brighten the lights but cautioned that it might cause "flickering."

I opted not to have the extra brightness coded, but brighter is better in my mind.

Do you see any evidence of "flickering?"
As I said in a previous post, I only owned the car for ONE day before the ILS was done, so I don't want to give a dishonest feedback about brightness as I barely drove it enough before ILS. My experience/feedback about how great ILS worked comes from how it also worked in my W222, and in the case of GLS, it seems to be working even better (brighter in general, and dances really well, and the tunneling effect is much much much more clear in the GLS). I can't speak to brightness before and after. I didn't ask him to make the lights brighter as I never know this was an option, but I simply asked him to do whatever will help lights perform better for adaptive headlights. I will ask on Wtsp if he made them brighter but he never mentioned that to me. (or maybe let me just try and tag him @EleBest here) If he hasn't done that on mine, I'd be curious to make them brighter but would like to understand what flickering means first (worst case I can revert back). In all cases right now there is no flickering at all but surely the lights are very bright. Highbeam is almost always on including city roads, and surely more often that my W222 and stays also on at lower speeds.
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Please do keep a list of nits with it and update us. You're the first one on here to install and post about using one of these fullscreen boxes. This has really piqued my interest in this box now. Thank you for being the Guinea pig.
I missed this part in my first respond to you above. You're welcome and no worries about sharing feedback... That's mostly what I enjoy doing although I feel that the GLS sub-forum as a bit too quite compared to W222/W223 actually. No nits or issues honestly so far with the CarPlay really (probably the only thing I wish it had is a priority list of phones connectivity when two phones are around for CarPlay). Right now I fixed that my unticking the (auto-connect) from my apple device phone for the CarPlay module cause am not the daily driver of the GLS, but I kept it on for my wife's phone. The only issue this way is that when I drive the car by myself I have to manually click connect via the bluetooth or wifi for CarPlay to turn on. If I keep both of them on, and we are both in the car going somewhere together, CarPlay will randomly select one regardless of who is actually the driver. Signal is too strong that it can even detect the phone in the room near the garage!. I shared this feedback with the manufacturer this morning to see if they can issue an update soon that allows the module to search and select certain phones before the other when both are available to connect. BMW has that in it's native phone/bluetooth system. Mbenz doesn't even have that for it's Media system unless I missed that, so I can not even blame the CarPlay box for not having that when Mbenz itself doesn't have it for it's Media Bluetooth connectivity.

The installation was easy, but there are certain steps missing from the installation video but very easy to navigate. You just need to remove the seat, remove the side trim panels and the seat-belt lower b-pillar (be careful when you do that, as there is a wire extended from the ground to the side air vents and you do not want to accidently stretch and cut that thin wire used to monitor whether the air vent is closed/opened to adjust flow through that column). I was glad to see Mbenz adding something like that for a sensor so that the air can be stopped completely from flowing there when the mechanical vents are closed to avoid air noise due to obstructed vent... pretty neat.

One last point, don't worry about the AUX wiring for the CarPlay box. Just let your phone always sync with the car Media to get the highest sound quality, and let the CarPlay box be the module that displays carplay for you. You would still be able to change music and things like that from the carplay menu, but it will be your car that is running the music behind the scenes (which means u will also seem music info on the driver infotainment screen). I probably should write a dedicated thread for installation and tiny little things like these for an ideal experience with this unit. It works well really no complaints is my conclusion.

Last edited by S_W222; Yesterday at 01:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wildta (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 726 Likes on 540 Posts
GLE 580
Originally Posted by S_W222
if they can issue an update soon that allows the module to search and select certain phones before the other when both are available to connect. BMW has that in it's native phone/bluetooth system. Mbenz doesn't even have that for it's Media system unless I missed that, so I can not even blame the CarPlay box for not having that when Mbenz itself doesn't have it for it's Media Bluetooth connectivity.
​​​​​​I only have one profile in my GLE and *I think* the phone is tied to your profile, and that might be MB's way around multiple phones connected to the vehicle.

I would also prefer the MBUX navigation guidance to be on the HUD since it provides way more detail than the connected phone apps so that makes sense, except that it would be annoying to have to set the destination for both. And I'm assuming you can easily mute the MBUX voice guidance while keeping the CP voice guidance active?
​​​​​​
Yes a separate thread on the new CP box would be great.

Last edited by wildta; Yesterday at 01:36 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

​​​​​​ I'm assuming you can easily mute the MBUX voice guidance while keeping the CP voice guidance active?.
I am 100% sure that you can keep MBUX voice guidance on. For CarPlay guidance to be active, I think you will need to also use the AUX-USB cable so that CarPlay voice is functionality connected to the car and the Media in MBUX selected as USB not your phone direct Bluetooth connection (which will lead to reduce music quality in my view). I still wonder if CarPlay will transmit navigation guidance without AUX-USB, because when I click the Siri button in CarPlay, I can hear Siri responding to you even when phone is connected to MBUX Bluetooth media without the SUB-AUX being connected. I don't use Navigation voice guidance at all, but will try to experiment with it.