Investing A private forum to discuss matters relating to investing, saving, retirement and more!

Electric Vehicle Stocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 01:29 PM

Received 374 Likes on 253 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
Electric Vehicle Stocks

I've been in an out of EV stocks for the last year or so. Sold my XPeng that I bought for $6.65 and bought a little Fisker today for $5.97 even though it's already up ~50% off bottom just because I think the Ocean is a fantastic vehicle. Size of an EQE and available with a battery pack bigger than in an EQS that supposedly can go 440 miles. You can tell they put a lot of thought into road tripping in this vehicle. It has flat surfaces that pop out so you can put things down without them ending up on the floor and the infotainment screen rotates from tablet to widesscreen mode so you can watch a TV show or movie while charging. It even has doggie windows in the back. The solar roof just put it over the top... may only be 4 miles a day but some days that's all I drive. I can't wait to get one. Wish I had pre-ordered the launch edition.

I'm tempted to buy QuantumScape as I'm sure solid state batteries will be the next evolution but looks to me like Toyota will win that race as they know how to mass produce at a very large scale.

Old 08-15-2023, 02:30 PM

I couldn't decide if I liked EVGO better than CHPT so I bought both. I've owned both before though so we'll see how long I hold onto them this time. Seemed like a good (re)entry point anyways.
Old 08-23-2023, 02:46 PM

I may have jumped the gun a little. That's OK though, I bought more EVGO and stuck with my original CHPT bet. I personally think PlugShare alone is worth the current stock price but it's hard to value a "killer app". One thing's for sure, if they **** this up it'll be a management failure of monumental proportions.

In ascending market value order (smallest position to largest)
Old 08-25-2023, 10:10 AM

Well it's been nice chatting, no really. FWIW tho, I doubled down on my EVgo bet at $3.75 this morning. Not buying any more ChargePoint for now. Fisker I got a good chunk of already.

Cya l8tr!
?B^)
Old 08-28-2023, 05:34 PM

Was a little more than double actually.. so that's fixed. Still dunno what to do with CHPT. I just don't feel compelled to buy more right now. No FOMO on that one. Seemed like EVGO might not dip below $4 again after last earnings report though so glad I got the opportunity to add to my position and average down.

Old 08-29-2023, 12:26 PM

What! Nothing? Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep making piles of cash all by myself.

Boom, zoom, straight to the moon!
Old 09-07-2023, 11:01 AM

What a first hour of trading this morning! ChargePoint had bad earning and all the EV stocks dropped. EVGo was down 10% at one point when I doubled my double which I guess is quadruple. LOL I now own more of it than Fisker. I couldn't resist doubling down on the cause of all the mayhem too when it hit $5. I'll unload it next week before the Arm IPO regardless of whether I'm up or down, but I think there's still time to make some money there.

"How to Catch a Falling Knife" (TM) © 2023 by Crito

Last edited by Crito; 09-07-2023 at 11:26 AM. Reason: All rights reserved ?B^)
Old 09-15-2023, 10:46 AM

Fisker hit $7 this morning! Wishing I had bought more. Which is what I originally had planned to do but I got distracted by weed (TLRY) and chips (ARM). Oh well, I haven't sold any yet anyways.

Old 09-26-2023, 12:34 PM

Just to close the loop... I sold the whole basket of EV stocks for about a 15% gain. I've glanced at NIO the last couple of trading sessions but there's just too much geo-political stuff going on with China stocks. Heck, some places you're not even allowed to discuss political issues even if it's relevant to the topic. So I guess I don't need that. I'm done with it for now.
Old 11-17-2023, 09:24 AM

I feel so sorry for ChargePoint. There's obviously plenty of demand. It's their own incompetence that's the problem. That's what happens when politics trumps ability in hiring practices and it's also the real reason Tesla has been so successful. Gotta love that Elon guy even if I don't really care for his cars!

Off to a bad start with the new ChargePoint chargers in my area. That wrench icon is for about a dozen new Superchargers that are being installed.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:00 PM

I don't really know what's going on with the accounting at Fisker but I bought some @ $2 today just for fun. Yeah, it might go to $1 if they've been cooking the books. On the other hand it might go back to $7 where it just was a few posts of mine ago. Besides, I made some good loot off it before so I'm playing with the house's money at this point anyways.

Thing I think most people don't understand about Fisker is they're a lot like AMD and nVidia. They may technically be "chip makers" but they don't actually make the chips. TSMC makes the chips. Same goes for Fisker. They're a "auto maker" technically but it's Magna who actually makes the cars.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Place your bets!
Old 11-23-2023, 01:42 AM

Fisker reported and looks OK. Stock closed $2.20 in after-market trading so I'm already up 10%. Ordinarily I'd take the money and run but think I'm going to hold onto these shares a while longer. I really do like their business model.
Old 12-06-2023, 04:38 PM

"I believe the negative reports about the company have been overblown. We have made considerable progress on our business plan and achieved many firsts in the industry, including launching in 11 countries to date and delivering the most sustainable EV with the longest range in our category. Fundamentally, our business is making positive strides each day and I believe we have compelling long-term opportunities. The Fisker team are shareholders, and I am a significant shareholder in the company as well. I believe the current share price does not reflect our accomplishments and our long-term opportunities. Our teams are working tirelessly to scale our operations and to continue to execute on our innovative business model. We just delivered our first vehicles from our new Oklahoma and New York locations, and I am looking forward to sharing regular updates on our momentum. We plan the next business update later this month." -- Chairman and CEO Henrik Fisker
I doubled down today. I usually don't do the long-term investing thing but to me it really looks like they're turned the financial corner and are doing everything right. This could be a ten bagger in a year or two. I'm prepared to quadruple down if it goes to $1.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:53 PM

Wow, that was fast! Fisker looks done. Henrik Fisker is a very charismatic guy and a great designer but he just plain sux as a CEO. It doesn't appear as if he's ever heard of anyone doing a reverse split to avoid delisting then immediately selling new shares to come up with operating capital. He's just running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to figure out what to do. His brilliant idea to save the company was to abandon direct-to-consumer sales and sell through dealerships. It's a little sad really...
Old 04-16-2024, 01:41 PM

Looks to me like real reason Fisker switched to a dealer model is because customer money seems to have disappeared. I was tempted to jump back in at 2 cents for a quick buck but I don't think the new high priced bean counters can find the money either. "We don't know where the money went" is about as famous as last words get. Pity tho, good design and good business model destroyed by control freak husband and wife. Weird thing is car software is a little control freakish too. You can't put it in drive without your seatbelt on and you only get 500 launches after which "no more launches for you!" Yeah, right! Bye bye!