Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

The NSX that couldn't

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The NSX that couldn't

I'm not sure if people still consider a NSX as a "sports car" but the owners I have found over the years sure do. Back in my mind I know these overpriced hondas will get smoked by a Mustang GT but after repeated taunting one has to finally put them out of their misery.

Rolling home the other night I get a rear view Xenon alert and take notice as they are coming up rather fast. Of course my mind clicks into the "guess the car before if passes" game and I am totally stumped and a little let down. I see the white NSX pass with the ***** to do the old pass me and zip back into my lane. Normally I'll only dig in if, a) it's a car I know will give me a decent run b) a mystery car with mods and or c) a car I haven't already beat, so I just take it and continue at my 75mph. The Honda slows down and has a fun doing a few maneuvers around me while reving that V6. Being so balzzy I'm wondering if he does have any mods as I have heard there are a few in cali that are little rockets.

What the hell.. so I see him fall back and come up fast to do another useless fly by and I floor it. As expected I see those xenons fall away in the rear view like I dropped 2 pen lights down a well. I slowed back to 70 or so and again I see him making another run but this time coming much faster. I wait until he's a few cars back and I hit it again. He passes a few car lengths for a few seconds and then he's sent to the back of the line again. I was done but of course he wasn't. I endured a few more fly bys before my exit.

Wasn't really much to even write about but I was wondering if many others have had NSX run-ins too. I already know a few friends that have.

Last edited by Speed Thrills; 08-03-2006 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Love your analogy!!---2 pen lites down a well
Old 08-03-2006, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
I stomped one pretty well with my modded C32. It was an older one, so not really a great kill.

BTW, let's show a little respect where respect is due. . . the NSX is an amazing sports car, even today. When it first came out, it was absolutely incredible. Have you ever driven one? They are a lot of fun. Granted, many have been acquired by ricers and destroyed, but the car itself is a major milestone in sports car history.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Vomit
BTW, let's show a little respect where respect is due. . . the NSX is an amazing sports car, even today. When it first came out, it was absolutely incredible. Have you ever driven one? They are a lot of fun. Granted, many have been acquired by ricers and destroyed, but the car itself is a major milestone in sports car history.

THANK U
if nsx isnt a sports car i dunno what is

im considering getting a late model nsx my self when my lease runs out, its like driving a huge go kart
there is nothing wrong w/ it that s/c cant fix, back then it was very fast, now it could be considered slow but w/ a $5000 (yes only 5) s/c it will put out 400rwh and it weighs about 3100 (not sure might be a little less or a little more)
Old 08-03-2006, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by Vomit
I stomped one pretty well with my modded C32. It was an older one, so not really a great kill.

I have to disagree with that.. I think the NSX falls into the same category as the porsche Boxster.... Its a slow excuse for a sports car.

E30 M3 > first NSX dollar for dollar. and only a slight difference in 0-60 times M3 0-60 around 6.5s vs the NSX in 91 0-60 5.7

E36 M3 > NSX M3 0-60 5.3-5.5 NSX for 2002 could only manage a 5.7 second it didnt go faster until later when they added a bigger motor which still produces less hp/liter than the M3's

E46 M3> NSX M3 0-60 4.8 seconds NSX last year of production finally hit 5s second but still cant beat an M3.

All of the bmws I have listed are almost half the cost of the NSX and with the exception of the E30 M3 both the E36 and E46 could out drag or stay even with the NSX compared to same year production. Also notice the HP/liter on the BMW is much higher than the NSX...
Old 08-03-2006, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
I have to disagree with that.. I think the NSX falls into the same category as the porsche Boxster.... Its a slow excuse for a sports car.

E30 M3 > first NSX dollar for dollar. and only a slight difference in 0-60 times M3 0-60 around 6.5s vs the NSX in 91 0-60 5.7

E36 M3 > NSX M3 0-60 5.3-5.5 NSX for 2002 could only manage a 5.7 second it didnt go faster until later when they added a bigger motor which still produces less hp/liter than the M3's

E46 M3> NSX M3 0-60 4.8 seconds NSX last year of production finally hit 5s second but still cant beat an M3.

All of the bmws I have listed are almost half the cost of the NSX and with the exception of the E30 M3 both the E36 and E46 could out drag or stay even with the NSX compared to same year production. Also notice the HP/liter on the BMW is much higher than the NSX...

i owned an e36 m3 and have driven a 91nsx.
huge difference.
we even drag raced them and the nsx (filter and exhaust) was faster at highway speeds. in the canyons where the m3 understeered the nsx just gripped and turned, its a large go kart.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izaWl...ch=senna%20nsx

acceleration times dont mean ****, its not a dragster its a sports car. the original miata (0-60 was like 9 sec.) is a sports car
Old 08-03-2006, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
I think a near one second difference between an E30 M3 and MY91 NSX wouldn't exactly qualify as slight. Honda/Acura made a huge mistake selling those cars new in the $80K price range. If they included an OEM turbocharger and sold it at $60-65K, they would have sold by the truck load. It is not a horrible car by any means, and some modified ones are very sharp, but the fact still remains that it could have been made better. However, Honda is learning from their mistakes, and is introducing a V10 motor in the successor to the late NSX. Interesting to see how the new one can compare to the new V8 M3.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by HLG600
I think a near one second difference between an E30 M3 and MY91 NSX wouldn't exactly qualify as slight. Honda/Acura made a huge mistake selling those cars new in the $80K price range. If they included an OEM turbocharger and sold it at $60-65K, they would have sold by the truck load. It is not a horrible car by any means, and some modified ones are very sharp, but the fact still remains that it could have been made better. However, Honda is learning from their mistakes, and is introducing a V10 motor in the successor to the late NSX. Interesting to see how the new one can compare to the new V8 M3.
Yea using the E30 to compare to the NSX isnt a good comparison I will give you that but the E36 vs NSX and E46 vs NSX are great comparisons since they are just about half the price ot he NSX. Also funny how the E36 M3 was rated as the "best handling at any price" car by car and driver in 97. (thats for Mr. under-steer, all cars are built to slightly under-steer)

All I can say is the NSX is over ratted for handling.. Fact is a viper costs less can beat it in 0-60 1/4 mile and pull more G's on the skidpad and beat the NSX in the slalom. We could even compare it to past corvettes, porsches ect..

I am and have been an M3 fan for my whole life.. And as far as I am concerned the E46 M3 is the last M3 ever... Putting the old M5 engine into a even chunkier E90 3 series coupe does not make an M3. I might of been on with a turbo charged I-6 for the next "M3" but going to a V8 powered "M3" doesnt fit in with the classic I-6 M3 family.

And I dont know why we would compare the new V10 to a BMW V8??? Why not compare apples to apples the V10 honda motor vs V10 BMW motor. If anything honda should just stop with the sports cars.... Who wants to spend more than $50K for a honda?
Old 08-04-2006, 05:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Yea using the E30 to compare to the NSX isnt a good comparison I will give you that but the E36 vs NSX and E46 vs NSX are great comparisons since they are just about half the price ot he NSX. Also funny how the E36 M3 was rated as the "best handling at any price" car by car and driver in 97. (thats for Mr. under-steer, all cars are built to slightly under-steer)

All I can say is the NSX is over ratted for handling.. Fact is a viper costs less can beat it in 0-60 1/4 mile and pull more G's on the skidpad and beat the NSX in the slalom. We could even compare it to past corvettes, porsches ect..

I am and have been an M3 fan for my whole life.. And as far as I am concerned the E46 M3 is the last M3 ever... Putting the old M5 engine into a even chunkier E90 3 series coupe does not make an M3. I might of been on with a turbo charged I-6 for the next "M3" but going to a V8 powered "M3" doesnt fit in with the classic I-6 M3 family.

And I dont know why we would compare the new V10 to a BMW V8??? Why not compare apples to apples the V10 honda motor vs V10 BMW motor. If anything honda should just stop with the sports cars.... Who wants to spend more than $50K for a honda?
you just dont get it, and i doubt u ever will

Last edited by AMG_55; 02-10-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Originally Posted by AMG_55
you just dont get it, and i doubt u ever will
Do you have the similar picture of the gun pointed to the dog? I've been looking for that one for a while.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:48 AM

2002 CLK55 AMG, 2005 C240 4maitc
the JDM world is alot diffrent then the DTM world. Its a whole other mindstate and way of life. A modified JDM NSX is an ill car no question about it. Yeah other cars can beat it in this catigory or that catigory but the opisite is also true and ist a fun car to drive. It's an oversized go-cart for sure and yes i admit its over priced but its a looker too so here my Solution to all this NSX mess if you still want one ( i currently drive a 2002 clk 55 and i wanna get a 2005 nsx in a few years)

Wait till its a year or two old to buy it. ( takes care of the rediculous retail tag significantly) (around 30K)
Buy the newer generation with the v10.
Get a 5k supercharger.
replace the suspention. (2k)
New Exhaust (1.5k)
Get some good tires. ( 1k )
Get a BBK. (6k)

..... Problem solved est. finished cost around $46,000.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
E36 or Mid 90's NSX?

tough call... but I love the 3.2 of the Honda/Acura.

With a Comptech supercharger the NSX would be a real good project.

Given the choice... I'll take the Acura. It is more rare.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
unbelievable...

Aryton Senna helped extensively on tuning the NSX chassis. It's as much of a pure sports car as just about anything out there. Those of you who think everything is about 0-60 really don't get it. I would never own one, as i'm not a fan of the old-school styling, but everytime I see one I realise there's someone behind the wheel who is really enjoying his ride.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Aryton Senna helped extensively on tuning the NSX chassis. It's as much of a pure sports car as just about anything out there. Those of you who think everything is about 0-60 really don't get it. I would never own one, as i'm not a fan of the old-school styling, but everytime I see one I realise there's someone behind the wheel who is really enjoying his ride.
great additional information

Senna is an F1 legend.

The aluminum frame & body parts was first of its kind and the 3L/3.2L DOHC engines at 250/290hp, were way ahead of their time.

It was the first car with the VTEC engine and first car that offered an automatic with sportshift.

Hopefully the new NSX with V10 would again show what Honda can do with a RWD.

The S2000 is a great car, only if they would make more RWD vehicles.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55

Isn't the new V8 supposed to be very similar in weight to the outgoing I6? If that is true, then BMW made an excellent move for the one thing the M3 could use more of it torque, something which a high revving I6 does not produce much of compared to some of the competition (SLK55 has 110 more lb feet of torque). This new M3 with the V8 is here to answer the SLK55, which is why MB-AMG is somehow packing that awesome new 6.3 Litre into the SLK body.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:42 PM

07 G35 Sport 6MT, 2005 C230K SS (sold), 1998 Jeep GC 4x4 (da-heep!)
I could write a whole long-winded post. But here it is, short and sweet:

1990 - NSX revolutionized Sports cars (titanium push rods, aluminum chassis, good price point)

2005 – Aging non-competitive design (discontinued in 2006, set to return in 2009: http://acura.your-honda.com/Acura_NSX.html)
Old 08-04-2006, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
The only thing is, once the road bends, NSX > all
Old 08-04-2006, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Thumbs up

Nice to see that many members here have a good sense of history (of automotive design and innovation) and perspective.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by HLG600
Isn't the new V8 supposed to be very similar in weight to the outgoing I6? If that is true, then BMW made an excellent move for the one thing the M3 could use more of it torque, something which a high revving I6 does not produce much of compared to some of the competition (SLK55 has 110 more lb feet of torque). This new M3 with the V8 is here to answer the SLK55, which is why MB-AMG is somehow packing that awesome new 6.3 Litre into the SLK body.

No clue last I heard it was being pulled from the old M5.. And so far the weight of the E90 coupe is a lot heaver than the outgoing M3.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by rubberninja
the JDM world is alot diffrent then the DTM world. Its a whole other mindstate and way of life. A modified JDM NSX is an ill car no question about it. Yeah other cars can beat it in this catigory or that catigory but the opisite is also true and ist a fun car to drive. It's an oversized go-cart for sure and yes i admit its over priced but its a looker too so here my Solution to all this NSX mess if you still want one ( i currently drive a 2002 clk 55 and i wanna get a 2005 nsx in a few years)

Wait till its a year or two old to buy it. ( takes care of the rediculous retail tag significantly) (around 30K)
Buy the newer generation with the v10.
Get a 5k supercharger.
replace the suspention. (2k)
New Exhaust (1.5k)
Get some good tires. ( 1k )
Get a BBK. (6k)

..... Problem solved est. finished cost around $46,000.

Used E36 M3 $15,000...
Turbo kit for E36 M3 $10,000 result over 500 rwhp.
Replace suspension 2k
New Exhaust 2k
Removing the back seat and stripping the interior.. Free
Race seats 1k

Passing that over $46K modified NSX on a race track in your $30k M3 priceless.

I had looked about building a project E36 turbo like others have done and found that I could get a over 500 rwhp E36 built for around 25-30K including race seats and racing cage, suspension, wheels. But I realized whats the point of having a car like that? its way to powerful for the street and I would have no time to take it to the track.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter

Again I pointed out that the E36 M3 was rated by car and driver "the best handling car at any price" beating out supercars. No doubt an E36 can out handle a NSX or even a E46 out doing an NSX. I also pointed out that a dodge viper is cheaper and not only faster in a strait line it is also faster in the slalom and can pull more G's on the skid pad. And yes I do understand 0-60 isnt everything. I dont think you get it that the NSX isnt all that its cracked up to be in the handling department.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
No clue last I heard it was being pulled from the old M5.. And so far the weight of the E90 coupe is a lot heaver than the outgoing M3.
since u know nothing (thats what it seems like)

the new v8 for the e90 m3 is based on the current 5 liter v10 from the current m3. it has 2 less cylinders and 1 liter less in capacity, they basically chopped off 2 cylinders. it has NOTHING to do w/ the e39 m5 motor
Old 08-04-2006, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Again I pointed out that the E36 M3 was rated by car and driver "the best handling car at any price" beating out supercars. No doubt an E36 can out handle a NSX or even a E46 out doing an NSX. I also pointed out that a dodge viper is cheaper and not only faster in a strait line it is also faster in the slalom and can pull more G's on the skid pad. And yes I do understand 0-60 isnt everything. I dont think you get it that the NSX isnt all that its cracked up to be in the handling department.
HAVE U DRIVEN 1?

then shut the **** up. numbers dont mean ****.
the veyron is the best numbers car, its still no sports car, neither is any current mb (including slr)
Old 08-04-2006, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by TopGun32

Senna is an F1 legend.

The aluminum frame & body parts was first of its kind and the 3L/3.2L DOHC engines at 250/290hp, were way ahead of their time.

It was the first car with the VTEC engine and first car that offered an automatic with sportshift.

I cant find a single engine award for the NSX? maybe you can help me out. So far the ME 112 used in the 320 series mercedes has more awards. The E46 M3's 3.2 liter making over 100hp a liter also has one best engine awards for several years in a row.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Originally Posted by TopGun32

Senna is an F1 legend.

I cant find a single engine award for the NSX? maybe you can help me out. So far the ME 112 used in the 320 series mercedes has more awards. The E46 M3's 3.2 liter making over 100hp a liter also has one best engine awards for several years in a row.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The NSX that couldn't