Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

slk32 vs 6.0 GTO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 06:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by UncleBenz2006
the 04 brakes were horrible on the GTO's 05-06's are way better. but what im saying is when some1 bought a brand new AMG in 06 what was the price and the Hp/Tq #'s?? the GTO was 30k and it came with 400 horses there;s no other car you can buy new for that cheap..
There's more to a car then hp and tq figures. I'm sure if you could afford a amg, you would've bought one. There's more to a car then just quarter mile times, theres handling, comfort and quality.

Don't try to use the money argument to prove the gto is a better car because its not on the same level as a amg.

The gto however was a great car if you wanted relatively cheap v8 hp and rwd. The car didn't live up to name. The weight, cheap interior and handling of the car kepted it from being considered a real sports sedan.

The car only really appealed to GM enthusiastists and maybe some mustang v8 buyers who wanted 4dr's. The car was complete failure.

Thats probably one of the reasons why GM is taking such a long time with the camaro. They want to make sure everything perfect before they released, another reason why there focusing on a higher quality interior as well.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Look at the prices of your AMG's compared to the price of a GTO then talk about timeslips.
I could have bout a GTO, Mustang, AND a used C5 with a blower for the price of the E55 - so what?

How much would it cost to graft a second set of doors on the GTO, then make it run 11.50's while massaging and cooling your a$$?
Old 07-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Almost a Member!

V
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
I could have bout a GTO, Mustang, AND a used C5 with a blower for the price of the E55 - so what?

How much would it cost to graft a second set of doors on the GTO, then make it run 11.50's while massaging and cooling your a$$?
for the money its hard to beat the GTO in its class and yes I agree that you can make anything fast . its about the whole package and E55 delivers a solid one.

response to other post:
But saying that your car is a pos just becuase its made by pontiac is an ignorant statement. they didnt sell many units because the marketting sucked and dealers had markups initially which turned people away. It was brought straight from Australia which is the holden monaro and same thing as Vauxhall monaro Vxr in U.K.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by renesis83
for the money its hard to beat the GTO in its class and yes I agree that you can make anything fast . its about the whole package and E55 delivers a solid one.

response to other post:
But saying that your car is a pos just becuase its made by pontiac is an ignorant statement. they didnt sell many units because the marketting sucked and dealers had markups initially which turned people away. It was brought straight from Australia which is the holden monaro and same thing as Vauxhall monaro Vxr in U.K.
I didn't say it was a POS because its a pontiac. To judge a car just by the brand name would be a mistake. The car itself was sub par for the market it was competing in.

You can't just just rebadge a car and call it a GTO. Just because it works in Australia doesn't mean it would work in the US. They sell $30k civic Type R's over in the UK. I doubt you can sell a civic for $30k in the US. The GTO name itself is a legend and people expect it to be on a level that would live up to the name.

It failed because there were a lot of better cars you can buy in the $30k market. The sti had around the same quarter mile time, but had better handling and brakes. The mustang gt had similar times to the gto but is $4k cheaper.
The GTO had 400hp but was barely faster then cars with 100 less hp.

GM has learned from there mistakes. Look at what they did with the GTO and how there handling the camaro. Its a night and day difference.

The point is, the GTO may be able to compete with a amg on a quarter mile stand point, but doesn't make on the same level of car.

Just like a i can mod my c32 to be as fast as a ferrari f430, but it wouldn't be on the same level as a ferrari.

To say my c32 is faster then a ferrari f430 at 10% the cost is a weak way of trying to prove my c32 is on the same level as a ferrari.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 AM

2003 CL 55 AMG
It all depends on what you are looking for! I love my AMG but even after 20k in mods it's still too slow for me... I am building another car right now strictly for the speed. Honestly I wish I hadn't done so many things to the AMG, coulda saved some money!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Almost a Member!

V
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
I didn't say it was a POS because its a pontiac. To judge a car just by the brand name would be a mistake. The car itself was sub par for the market it was competing in.

You can't just just rebadge a car and call it a GTO. Just because it works in Australia doesn't mean it would work in the US. They sell $30k civic Type R's over in the UK. I doubt you can sell a civic for $30k in the US. The GTO name itself is a legend and people expect it to be on a level that would live up to the name.

It failed because there were a lot of better cars you can buy in the $30k market. The sti had around the same quarter mile time, but had better handling and brakes. The mustang gt had similar times to the gto but is $4k cheaper.
The GTO had 400hp but was barely faster then cars with 100 less hp.

GM has learned from there mistakes. Look at what they did with the GTO and how there handling the camaro. Its a night and day difference.

The point is, the GTO may be able to compete with a amg on a quarter mile stand point, but doesn't make on the same level of car.

Just like a i can mod my c32 to be as fast as a ferrari f430, but it wouldn't be on the same level as a ferrari.

To say my c32 is faster then a ferrari f430 at 10% the cost is a weak way of trying to prove my c32 is on the same level as a ferrari.

You need to do some research regarding these cars. You are comparing a mustang GT to a car with an Ls2 and much superior suspension. Thats a very magazine racer approach to say the 1/4 miles are similar hence the cars are the same. I ran a 12.8x with just better tires and an catback.
Others factors need to be considered such as daily driver and actual useable back seats. when you will mod your car to a 430 level then maybe you can teach me a lesson about how slow my car is , learn your place in the food chain my friend .
Old 07-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Others factors need to be considered such as daily driver and actual useable back seats. when you will mod your car to a 430 level then maybe you can teach me a lesson about how slow my car is , learn your place in the food chain my friend .
Seeing that my street-tire pass in the 11.5s puts me ahead of any F-car but the Enzo, when should we start school?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Seeing that my street-tire pass in the 11.5s puts me ahead of any F-car but the Enzo, when should we start school?
Me to! Me to! I'll bring my SL65
Old 07-23-2008, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Everyone has their place in the food chain. Let's not all get into competition here because there are people on these forums that have cars that'd make some of your "fast" cars look like they're standing still on the highway or at the dragstrip.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Almost a Member!

V
what are your mods
I havent gone to the track yet with my new setup and will post when the new numbers comeup. I ran a 12.78 with just a catback and rear springs when I just got the car. I should be able to get into 11s now or atleast I hope tq> traction
I know my place in the food chain but I have to admit , no matter what you do there is always someone faster than you. But some people just like to bash others cars without even knowing the facts. A fast car deserves respect,

Last edited by renesis83; 07-23-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You need to do some research regarding these cars. You are comparing a mustang GT to a car with an Ls2 and much superior suspension. Thats a very magazine racer approach to say the 1/4 miles are similar hence the cars are the same. I ran a 12.8x with just better tires and an catback.
i brought up the mustang because its a car that a GTO buyer would look at since its a muscle car too with a big v8 rwd and a muscle car name. The LS is a great engine for a cheap price.

Ok, the car has a good engine? What else can it offer? I'm sure you don't just buy a car because of just the engine right? The only component you brought up is the great LS2 engine with 400hp and nothing else of substance. Thats more of a boy racer attitude to looking at cars and probably only makes up less then 1% of the car buying population. You haven't address any of the other faults of the car.

The car was sub par for the market it was in, both the gto's sales and GM agree with me, hence the car is no longer in the US. If they brought it down to a mustang level pricing, it probably would've done better from a sales stand point if the only reason to buy the car is because its rwd and a v8.

Some cars GM has done right with, for example the malibu and the Camaro. To a degree the sky, solistic and aura.

The v8 brings people into the dealership. The other factors i stated before actually sell the car.

Speed and power as just one of many factors that determine how good a car is. Hence why the GTO is not on the same level as a amg.

Same reason why even if i made my c32 faster then f430, it still wouldnt be on the same level as the ferrari. You should learn just because its faster doesn't necessary make it a better car, its just one of the components.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:55 PM

American Muscle
i brought up the mustang because its a car that a GTO buyer would look at since its a muscle car too with a big v8 rwd and a muscle car name. The LS is a great engine for a cheap price.

Ok, the car has a good engine? What else can it offer? I'm sure you don't just buy a car because of just the engine right? The only component you brought up is the great LS2 engine with 400hp and nothing else of substance. Thats more of a boy racer attitude to looking at cars and probably only makes up less then 1% of the car buying population. You haven't address any of the other faults of the car.

The car was sub par for the market it was in, both the gto's sales and GM agree with me, hence the car is no longer in the US. If they brought it down to a mustang level pricing, it probably would've done better from a sales stand point if the only reason to buy the car is because its rwd and a v8.

Some cars GM has done right with, for example the malibu and the Camaro. To a degree the sky, solistic and aura.

The v8 brings people into the dealership. The other factors i stated before actually sell the car.

Speed and power as just one of many factors that determine how good a car is. Hence why the GTO is not on the same level as a amg.

Same reason why even if i made my c32 faster then f430, it still wouldnt be on the same level as the ferrari. You should learn just because its faster doesn't necessary make it a better car, its just one of the components.
i dont think that its a boy racer mentallity its more a man mentallity now a mercedes racing i think that it grandpa mob boss driving...
Old 07-24-2008, 07:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i dont think that its a boy racer mentallity its more a man mentallity now a mercedes racing i think that it grandpa mob boss driving...
its sad, after all the points i bought up. Your best response in trying to show value in the GTO by insulting people who like to mod their mercedes on a mercedes enthusiast forum .

Why even bother posting if your not going to post any facts to support your opinion?

The LS engine is a good engine, even if it is push rod. The corvettes a nice car, and i even like the sky. The GTO is a great value in the used car market, but as a new $30k car it was inferior to the competition.

The GTO had a crappy interior, the handling was horrible, the brakes were weak and the styling was bland.

Now take the camaro, nicer interior, Nurburg Ring suspension tuned, brembo brakes as a option and distinctive styling. Quarter mile wise, its comparable to the GTO stock. GM definately learned from the mistakes of the gto and put attention to fixing all the aspects i mentioned before.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in your Mom's car
I knew that this post would soon turn into a cost vs performance pissing test. It's the same way on LS1GTO.com when someone says they beat a higher priced car.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Almost a Member!

600hp GTO Supercharged
Talking

Originally Posted by Hazy1
If I'm overstepping, I apologize, but what's the ballpark $$$ for your mods. Those are really impressive times.

$7,000.00 installed blower including drag radials....
I bought the car for 21,850 with 1600 mile on the odo. (like new)
so I'm in it UNDER 30k....I slay Lambo's maser's benz, vettes, pretty much anything that gets driven to the stip gets smoked.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wm Holden
so I'm in it UNDER 30k....I slay Lambo's maser's benz, vettes, pretty much anything that gets driven to the stip gets smoked.
i agree there great value on the used car market and can be made stupid fast for relatively cheap. I've seen some as low as $16k.

I like the vids by the way.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
The power of the SLK32 and 55 are the same. The 32 is a few hundred pounds lighter but the 55 makes up for it with the 7 speed tranny. I won't argue against the SLK55 being the better car. The 55 is better in every concievable way.
The SLK55 has a bit more torque with a more elastic powerband and a stronger top end; the comparison of two motors goes way beyond brake horsepower figures. However, where the SLK32 shines is in, as you mentioned, its lower weight and also its stellar mod potential. A few bolt on's and some slicks...and that thing will be knocking on an SL55's door!
Old 07-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55 AMG, 2006 Pontiac GTO
Originally Posted by Wm Holden
my gto can walk a slk55 all day, and its N/A
Old 07-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Almost a Member!

600hp GTO Supercharged
Wink

i agree there great value on the used car market and can be made stupid fast for relatively cheap. I've seen some as low as $16k.

I like the vids by the way.
Thanks me too!! LOL!!! up to 84 now I think...the last video has an interview with Jerry Magnuson toward the end where he talks about emissions and F/I involvement with that issue. ventura auto sports gathering video

Originally Posted by Mirz

nice....bet it don't idle like mine...but that's very cool dude..we LOVE to smoke em eh?!
Old 07-25-2008, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
heh

Heh lets not get too cocky now ... There is always someone bigger and badder.

Btw The GTO seems like a great platform ... I just wish they hadn't made it so ugly when they brought it to the US.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:21 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Stock for stock, a GTO will get smoked by an SLK55 (stock SLK55s run ~ 12.7 - 12.8 quarters trapping ~ 110 - 112 mph).

If you mod the GTO, the SLK can also be modded (the SLK55 will always be faster, mod for mod, since its a significantly lighter car & comes with a more efficient 7 Spd tranny which takes better advantage of the power it makes than the GTO).
Old 07-26-2008, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
this is such a ricer argument. I'm sure the japanese import guys used the same argument on you and i'm sure you thought it was a weak argument when you heard it from them.

I can buy a used 2300lb civic for $2k and drop $8k into the engine to make it a 600whp highway monster. Big deal.

You can only really compare stock for stock when it comes to speed. When your comparing modded car to modded car, it the person who usually dumps the most money that wins.

We all picked the car we drive for a reason.
hahahahahaah well said my man well said My s2k with Blacktracx at 8psi can smoke a lot of cars in 50k-70k ranges
Old 07-26-2008, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
If you mod the GTO, the SLK can also be modded (the SLK55 will always be faster, mod for mod, since its a significantly lighter car & comes with a more efficient 7 Spd tranny which takes better advantage of the power it makes than the GTO).
Very few motors can touch the LS2 with regard to cost effective mod potential. In a stock comparison, the SLK has a clear upper hand, but once we delve into the aftermarket realm, it is at a clear disadvantage. A few hundred pounds is not significantly lighter, first off. That 7SP gearbox, as great as it is, will become a hindrance once one begins to pour serious power into the motor, as it can only handle so much torque and is difficult to upgrade. I am a huge fan of the R171 AMG, as it is among my favorite cars, but when talking about straight line performance and the aftermarket world, let's be real here.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Almost a Member!

600hp GTO Supercharged
blower only...no other mods

Old 07-26-2008, 09:24 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by HLG600
Very few motors can touch the LS2 with regard to cost effective mod potential. In a stock comparison, the SLK has a clear upper hand, but once we delve into the aftermarket realm, it is at a clear disadvantage. A few hundred pounds is not significantly lighter, first off. That 7SP gearbox, as great as it is, will become a hindrance once one begins to pour serious power into the motor, as it can only handle so much torque and is difficult to upgrade. I am a huge fan of the R171 AMG, as it is among my favorite cars, but when talking about straight line performance and the aftermarket world, let's be real here.
People that buy AMG Benzes also have more disposal income to mod their toys so your dollar hypothesis is not real relevant.

325 lbs is not significant? I beg to differ - the SLK is 10% lighter (mine is 3400 with the blower). Lets look at it this way, the GTO is putting down 45 more horsepower in stock trim, yet is a mid 13 second car compared to the SLK being a mid to high 12 second car (non Black Series - the Black Series would only extend it's advantage due to its lighter wieight & equal Hp). The SLK is outgunned in power yet is still able to accelerate (& trap) better.

In Kleemanized form, I put down 517 rwtq & my tranny has no issues. At what point do we start calling the 7 Spd tranny inadequate? (I can't hold traction below 70 mph with the ESP off unless I'm wearing DRs).

The SLK can be modded to go like hell - all AMG cars can via Kleemann, Brabus, you name it. The price may be higher, but the COST to the AMG guy is likely the same (maybe even lower) than to the Pontiac guy as the AMG owner already didn't blink when he/she paid 2X the cost of the GTO when it was driven off the lot.

As others have already noted, we won't even mention the superior braking & handling of the 55. You get what you pay for in life. The AMG costs more but you get more overall performance for the added cash outlay.

Last edited by Yellow R1; 07-26-2008 at 09:27 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: slk32 vs 6.0 GTO