Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

slk32 vs 6.0 GTO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK550
Originally Posted by UncleBenz2006
if you take the 30k GTO and put a TT in it for 7k it will decimate any AMG that mercedes makes!
But at the end of the day, you're still driving home in a pontiac.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American Muscle
Originally Posted by Tommy_s4
Quick question. Does your car have 4 doors? Does it have a Hand assembled Motor? Does your car have heated and vented seats? Does your car come with a brotherhood of the Elite? When you drive past people does your car play the OJ's? Ok, does your car have an airmatic suspension to keep your drink from being spilled as you casually cruise up to 155? Does your car have illuminated door sills? Does your car have brakes big enough to stop planets?

Quick question. Did your car come with any of the things I mentioned, stock?

What your saying is, Oh look at me. I'm better then you because my car is faster. Who cares if your car is faster? An AMG is a daily driver vs your GTO that has no traction in the rain. You have to consider this as well, an AMG is a statement. Its a symbol of Class, Taste and Elegance. Even the 1995 C36 or the AMG sledgehammer are still timeless classics unlike your VXR.
Haha… Ok I’ll answer a few of those… No I do not have 2 useless additional doors like a real sports car has, ummm, Corvette, Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche…

Hand assembled motor, nope but I also paid probably a 4th the cost of your car and is on par with it’s performance.

Heated and vented seats hahaha, what are you 80… real sports cars and real drivers couldn’t care less about warming their *** and would rather save the weight.

Brotherhood of Elite you say… I’d say GTO owners are some of proudest and most knowledgeable owners out there. Do you know a damn thing about your “engine” could you tear it down and rebuild it, have you even seen under your 25 cubic feet of plastic engine cover?

Yeah we do have a suspension that can cruise all the way and past 155. Without spilling our drink… what are you retarded? Cars have been able to do that for years and years.

Illuminated door sills? Ha, seriously? Why are you too old or drunk to see your door when you’re getting in it, more useless crap…

Big enough brakes to stop planets, I’ll let the retard play without his helmet I suppose with that statement.

Did you ever stop to think that spending around 100 thousand is ridiculous, borderline retarded for a car that is jam packed full of useless crap that you define as elegant and classy. We drive our cars for performance, for raw power, to tear apart the pavement, maybe blow an engine and rebuild it by hand all for a fraction of the cost of what you paid for your extended warranty. While you sit back and sip your mocha frapahomolatte waiting in the Mercedes Benz lobby while they fix your flat.

Class ha, more like blind arrogance and an overpowering need to compensate and justify spending so much for your statement.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
lock it

Might as well lock this thread ... Its completely useless.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by SLK55R
Might as well lock this thread ... Its completely useless.
Mullet overload.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Old 08-01-2008, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haha… Ok I’ll answer a few of those… No I do not have 2 useless additional doors like a real sports car has, ummm, Corvette, Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche…

Hand assembled motor, nope but I also paid probably a 4th the cost of your car and is on par with it’s performance.

Heated and vented seats hahaha, what are you 80… real sports cars and real drivers couldn’t care less about warming their *** and would rather save the weight.

Brotherhood of Elite you say… I’d say GTO owners are some of proudest and most knowledgeable owners out there. Do you know a damn thing about your “engine” could you tear it down and rebuild it, have you even seen under your 25 cubic feet of plastic engine cover?

Yeah we do have a suspension that can cruise all the way and past 155. Without spilling our drink… what are you retarded? Cars have been able to do that for years and years.

Illuminated door sills? Ha, seriously? Why are you too old or drunk to see your door when you’re getting in it, more useless crap…

Big enough brakes to stop planets, I’ll let the retard play without his helmet I suppose with that statement.

Did you ever stop to think that spending around 100 thousand is ridiculous, borderline retarded for a car that is jam packed full of useless crap that you define as elegant and classy. We drive our cars for performance, for raw power, to tear apart the pavement, maybe blow an engine and rebuild it by hand all for a fraction of the cost of what you paid for your extended warranty. While you sit back and sip your mocha frapahomolatte waiting in the Mercedes Benz lobby while they fix your flat.

Class ha, more like blind arrogance and an overpowering need to compensate and justify spending so much for your statement.
Spending $100k for some is nothing. I payed only $20k ($70k when new)for my low mileage rare only 2k built in 2001,2002 Clk55 for the USA. It runs low 13s@107+. Plus great braking,handling,luxurious in one package.Its in a different class then the 04-06 GTOs. I blow away my bros 04 GTO with boltons. GTOs are easy to mod but I'm not into that.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:46 PM

C55
Talking

Now let's answer a few questions about you!

Your from Oklahoma, West Virginia or Iowa....
You sport a mullet....
Have a few teeth missing....
Girl in your avatar is/was your sister.....

You speak of blind arrogance? Well my friend you have blind ignorance for judging people and stereotyping others based on their preferences......have a great day!
Old 08-02-2008, 01:56 PM

2016 Ariel Atom 3S, 2016 BMW M4, 2008 Porsche 911T
Whether it's the AMG Benz, GTO, Z06 or whatever, I agree with the guy that wants to buy used. It's the only way to go without writing a check for $10K in depreciation (minimum) as soon as you leave the new-car-dealer lot.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
People that buy AMG Benzes also have more disposal income to mod their toys so your dollar hypothesis is not real relevant.

325 lbs is not significant? I beg to differ - the SLK is 10% lighter (mine is 3400 with the blower). Lets look at it this way, the GTO is putting down 45 more horsepower in stock trim, yet is a mid 13 second car compared to the SLK being a mid to high 12 second car (non Black Series - the Black Series would only extend it's advantage due to its lighter wieight & equal Hp). The SLK is outgunned in power yet is still able to accelerate (& trap) better.

In Kleemanized form, I put down 517 rwtq & my tranny has no issues. At what point do we start calling the 7 Spd tranny inadequate? (I can't hold traction below 70 mph with the ESP off unless I'm wearing DRs).

The SLK can be modded to go like hell - all AMG cars can via Kleemann, Brabus, you name it. The price may be higher, but the COST to the AMG guy is likely the same (maybe even lower) than to the Pontiac guy as the AMG owner already didn't blink when he/she paid 2X the cost of the GTO when it was driven off the lot.

As others have already noted, we won't even mention the superior braking & handling of the 55. You get what you pay for in life. The AMG costs more but you get more overall performance for the added cash outlay.
Taking into consideration the deprecatory nature of AMG's and how the lowering price tags are expanding the realm of buyers, I would say the disposable income comment is just a tad stereotypical. Real fanatics who are running the highly tuned variants could also pick up a CPO AMG. Hell, you can dish out 40K for a mint W211 E55 at the moment. If you view this purely from the new-car scope, then yes, I am not being "real relevant." But if you ignore the used car market, then tell me my friend, who is not being real?

Like I said, a few hundred pounds is noticeably lighter, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it significant. The weight difference between my car and a Porsche Boxster is significant. These are in fact daily driver street cars we are discussing.

When driven properly, the 6L GTO can do a bit better than mid 13's. But as anyone knows, the comparison ends once we go beyond the straight line. Plus, I was more so discussing the LS2 mod wise compared to M113 V8. No other mass produced naturally aspirated large displacement motor can match the LS in regard to ease of putting on serious power. Heads, cams, headers, along with a more aggressive differential and we are talking about some scary results...all without forced induction!

Yes the quality is crap compared to the Germans, yes the handling is not nearly as precise, but when one wants a mod friendly cost effective straight line screamer, these LS powered domestics are the place to go.

I am though quite impressed at how well your 7SP is holding up to the massive torque churned out by that Kleemann of yours...time will gauge the reliability but for now my prior statement is retracted.

I am speaking purely from a performance perspective with raw numbers and results...once we go into quality and such, well, things become obvious...
Old 08-02-2008, 09:50 PM

i drive an ///M6
I'll chime in with some useful info here..... my 1st benz was an '01 clk55- LOVED it- (i was the 2nd owner at 40k miles)--- awesome car! ---back then.Ihave an 06 GTO ls2 m6 and have to be honest-- my prev clk had nothing over on the goat- not even handling-- let's face it, handling STILL belongs to the "M" and porsches out there. The goat is loads of fun, though, and believe it or not, I actually get more compliments on this car than I did on my clk55 and my former 645ci combined. I think now that it is out of production, it gets noticed much more. I agree that the initial styling (04) was pretty bland, but the 05, 06 are pretty sharp. As far as a "cheap" interior, I firstfelt would be your typical pontiac until I first test drove one-- actually, the deciding factor to actually drive it was only after I sat in it- it DEFINITELY feels like an import (euro) compared to standard domestics-- then I drove it and was sold on buying one. Easy to mod, fast as hell stock, handles well enough for 99% of people on the road, and looks nice= a no brainer for me. I do miss the clk55, but my old 208's interior was not as sharp as my goat's, probably = imho. Let's not forget maintenance and upkeep, reliability, etc......
Old 08-03-2008, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DarrenCT
I'll chime in with some useful info here..... my 1st benz was an '01 clk55- LOVED it- (i was the 2nd owner at 40k miles)--- awesome car! ---back then.Ihave an 06 GTO ls2 m6 and have to be honest-- my prev clk had nothing over on the goat- not even handling-- let's face it, handling STILL belongs to the "M" and porsches out there. The goat is loads of fun, though, and believe it or not, I actually get more compliments on this car than I did on my clk55 and my former 645ci combined. I think now that it is out of production, it gets noticed much more. I agree that the initial styling (04) was pretty bland, but the 05, 06 are pretty sharp. As far as a "cheap" interior, I firstfelt would be your typical pontiac until I first test drove one-- actually, the deciding factor to actually drive it was only after I sat in it- it DEFINITELY feels like an import (euro) compared to standard domestics-- then I drove it and was sold on buying one. Easy to mod, fast as hell stock, handles well enough for 99% of people on the road, and looks nice= a no brainer for me. I do miss the clk55, but my old 208's interior was not as sharp as my goat's, probably = imho. Let's not forget maintenance and upkeep, reliability, etc......
My bro has the 04 GTO and the interior is ok except the so called leather seats. Its really rough and the rear is coming apart! The Clk55 has nicer interior,sound system. Also the GTO has plain "Grand Prix looks" unlike the timeless Clk55 style. The 05-06 Gto added hood scoops and led tails for 06 but still looks plain.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:17 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
My bro has the 04 GTO and the interior is ok except the so called leather seats. Its really rough and the rear is coming apart! The Clk55 has nicer interior,sound system. Also the GTO has plain "Grand Prix looks" unlike the timeless Clk55 style. The 05-06 Gto added hood scoops and led tails for 06 but still looks plain.
Dude -- Don't call the GTO a Grand Prix. The GTO boy's really get mad at that one!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:28 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG

Hey Cowboy. Careful on the use of 'we'. I'm pretty sure most GTO guys aren't with you on blowing an engine.

Most AMG owners, or a good portion of them, have pretty damn good knowledge of what's under their plastic cover.

Now go out there an tear up the pavement -- get a exhibition of speeding ticket while your at it!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hkycoldrct
Dude -- Don't call the GTO a Grand Prix. The GTO boy's really get mad at that one!
Its a fact the front looks 99% like a Grand Prix
Old 08-04-2008, 10:29 PM

CLK550
Originally Posted by hkycoldrct
How about Grand Am?

I'm laughing over some of the comments from the GTO crowd. While the interior of the GTO is a step up from the typical crap from Pontiac, it still has no business being compared to an MB interior. That's ridiculous. I've ridden/drove several GTOs and they are nowhere near on par with any MB. As for performance, again, a lot of hot air from the GTO owners. The GTO is a bloated pig, plain and simple. I will give them credit and admit that they sound nice modded, but their bark is far worse than their bite. You can thank the excessive weight for this. The car is average at best in just about every facet.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Almost a Member!

V
Originally Posted by RedBull
How about Grand Am?

I'm laughing over some of the comments from the GTO crowd. While the interior of the GTO is a step up from the typical crap from Pontiac, it still has no business being compared to an MB interior. That's ridiculous. I've ridden/drove several GTOs and they are nowhere near on par with any MB. As for performance, again, a lot of hot air from the GTO owners. The GTO is a bloated pig, plain and simple. I will give them credit and admit that they sound nice modded, but their bark is far worse than their bite. You can thank the excessive weight for this. The car is average at best in just about every facet.
its just a fast cavalier
Old 08-05-2008, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
I'd take this over a fleet of GTOs....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76DgyurNwVc
Old 08-05-2008, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How about Grand Am?

The GTOs so called leather seats are It feels like sand paper after only 50k miles! I tell you my 13yr old C36 w over 101k miles the leather has no wear! Talk about durability..
Old 08-05-2008, 11:44 PM

Charger SRT-8
The GTO is a bloated pig, plain and simple. I will give them credit and admit that they sound nice modded, but their bark is far worse than their bite. You can thank the excessive weight for this. The car is average at best in just about every facet.
Really? Like a 3800lb C63 or 4000lb+ E series with a cramped rear seat? Or the entire SL model range?

And how many Mercedes have raced in the SCCA Runoffs? How many have a manual transmission? Thought so.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:54 PM

CLK550
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Really? Like a 3800lb C63 or 4000lb+ E series with a cramped rear seat? Or the entire SL model range?
Bad comparisons. Mercedes are meant to be luxury cars, that also happen to be fast. GTO is neither luxurious or fast.

Last edited by RedBull; 08-07-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Almost a Member!

V
Bad comparisons. Mercedes are meant to be luxury cars, that also happen to be fast. GTO is neither luxurious or fast.
If someone who drove an E55/ SL65 , I would totally understand their definition of fast but rignt now I am
Old 08-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55 AMG, 2006 Pontiac GTO

Idk why you are comparing a GTO to a E55? E55>GTO in all aspects. BTW I really don't want to blow my Ls2. It's people like you that raise insurance rates.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:15 PM

Charger SRT-8
Really? Notice the title of the thread? Because $30k Mercedes are neither luxurious or fast either.

And if you still want to compare sticker to sticker, the ZR-1 holds up pretty well too.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Really? Notice the title of the thread? Because $30k Mercedes are neither luxurious or fast either.

And if you still want to compare sticker to sticker, the ZR-1 holds up pretty well too.
The SLK32 was not a $30K car. More like in the $50-60K range brand new, w/retractable hard top and lotsa amenities.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 236 Likes on 183 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
This is kill stories. You want to talk about the cars, keep it at the performance. Besides, if you want to introduce values, GM's depreciation rivals that of MB's. According to your logic, if the SLK32 is a $30K car then a GTO is what, a $17K car?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: slk32 vs 6.0 GTO