Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

slk32 vs 6.0 GTO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
600hp GTO Supercharged
Talking

21,850 plus 7k blower....not even 30k for 600 ponies?

ok.......it doen't matter...we're just yackin' anyhow.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:57 AM

Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
Lets look at it this way, the GTO is putting down 45 more horsepower in stock trim, yet is a mid 13 second car compared to the SLK being a mid to high 12 second car
Let's look at it this way, the LS2 GTO is actually a high 12sec, low 13sec car if launched decently.

And for those that want straight-line performance only, this list pretty much has Mercedes covered:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106610
Old 07-27-2008, 12:15 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Let's look at it this way, the LS2 GTO is actually a high 12sec, low 13sec car if launched decently.

And for those that want straight-line performance only, this list pretty much has Mercedes covered:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106610

If people wanted straight line performance only, they wouldn't have bought an AMG (which can actually handle & stop in addition to accelerate). It's been said a thousand times before - anything can be made to go fast in a straight line. It's achieving performance in the other categories along with the high build quality that typically separates an AMG & an M car, for example, from other makes & models.

BTW, while there are dedicated car forums that say they have achieved certain times & traps in stock form, but they may or may not have been official so I am drawing my conclusions from the vast majority of publications & actual sanctioned ETs/traps at the strip. I too can pull "ringer" SLK55 quarter mile ETs (like a 12.22 from Dragtimes but what is the point - it's an outlier & not typical). So, for point of debate, the GTO is still a mid/low 13 sec car & the SLK a mid to high 12 sec car. The GTO is not a slow car, I'm just pointing out some to some Goat posters that taking your modded GTO & pulling a stock SLK55 in some street encounter can also bite your azz. There are STOCK AMGs running the same ETs & Traps as Holden's modded/blown GTO. http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-15929.html
Old 07-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Almost a Member!

600hp GTO Supercharged
Wink

If people wanted straight line performance only, they wouldn't have bought an AMG (which can actually handle & stop in addition to accelerate). It's been said a thousand times before - anything can be made to go fast in a straight line. It's achieving performance in the other categories along with the high build quality that typically separates an AMG & an M car, for example, from other makes & models.

BTW, while there are dedicated car forums that say they have achieved certain times & traps in stock form, but they may or may not have been official so I am drawing my conclusions from the vast majority of publications & actual sanctioned ETs/traps at the strip. I too can pull "ringer" SLK55 quarter mile ETs (like a 12.22 from Dragtimes but what is the point - it's an outlier & not typical). So, for point of debate, the GTO is still a mid/low 13 sec car & the SLK a mid to high 12 sec car. The GTO is not a slow car, I'm just pointing out some to some Goat posters that taking your modded GTO & pulling a stock SLK55 in some street encounter can also bite your azz. There are STOCK AMGs running the same ETs & Traps as Holden's modded/blown GTO. http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-15929.html

VERY nice run!

upon review it seems not very many AMG guys are dragin'
Old 07-27-2008, 01:34 PM

wife's car2014 ml350
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Everyone has their place in the food chain. Let's not all get into competition here because there are people on these forums that have cars that'd make some of your "fast" cars look like they're standing still on the highway or at the dragstrip.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:39 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by Wm Holden
VERY nice run!

upon review it seems not very many AMG guys are dragin'
Agreed. In relation to GTO owners, I'd say some AMG guys drag thier cars but most GTO guys hit the strip (just one man's opinion).

BTW, nice GTO.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Almost a Member!

600hp GTO Supercharged
Wink

Agreed. In relation to GTO owners, I'd say some AMG guys drag thier cars but most GTO guys hit the strip (just one man's opinion).

BTW, nice GTO.

Thanks.....yeah, seems like most of them (GTO owners) hit the track at least once.

of the "NEW" GTO's it looks like I'm 6th fastest on drag times.
and 4th in rwhp....kinda sweet really.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E55 AMG, 2006 Pontiac GTO
Lets all just stop, just buy a GTO and a AMG like I did!
Old 07-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Almost a Member!

600hp GTO Supercharged
LOL! solved!
Old 07-27-2008, 06:13 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Thanks.....yeah, seems like most of them (GTO owners) hit the track at least once.

of the "NEW" GTO's it looks like I'm 6th fastest on drag times.
and 4th in rwhp....kinda sweet really.
Yes, I saw that...very impressive.

-Matt
Old 07-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Almost a Member!

600hp GTO Supercharged
Thumbs up

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by 1qikctr
hahahahahaah well said my man well said My s2k with Blacktracx at 8psi can smoke a lot of cars in 50k-70k ranges
yeah i wanted a turbo s2k being a honda fan, but i needed 4dr's and california smog laws make it difficult. I settled with the c32 because it had 4dr's and force induction and lot more comfortable then a sti or evo.

how much power are you putting down?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
i brought up the mustang because its a car that a GTO buyer would look at since its a muscle car too with a big v8 rwd and a muscle car name. The LS is a great engine for a cheap price.

Ok, the car has a good engine? What else can it offer? I'm sure you don't just buy a car because of just the engine right? The only component you brought up is the great LS2 engine with 400hp and nothing else of substance. Thats more of a boy racer attitude to looking at cars and probably only makes up less then 1% of the car buying population. You haven't address any of the other faults of the car.

The car was sub par for the market it was in, both the gto's sales and GM agree with me, hence the car is no longer in the US. If they brought it down to a mustang level pricing, it probably would've done better from a sales stand point if the only reason to buy the car is because its rwd and a v8.

Some cars GM has done right with, for example the malibu and the Camaro. To a degree the sky, solistic and aura.

The v8 brings people into the dealership. The other factors i stated before actually sell the car.

Speed and power as just one of many factors that determine how good a car is. Hence why the GTO is not on the same level as a amg.

Same reason why even if i made my c32 faster then f430, it still wouldnt be on the same level as the ferrari. You should learn just because its faster doesn't necessary make it a better car, its just one of the components.
I used to drive a C32, and now drive an 06 GTO. Stock, the AMG suspension and brakers better, but GTO would be quicker. I wouldnt say that the C32 interior feels any better than the GTOs, so IMO you are wrong to say that the C32 is in a better league than a GTO
Old 07-29-2008, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by purplenurple
I used to drive a C32, and now drive an 06 GTO. Stock, the AMG suspension and brakers better, but GTO would be quicker. I wouldnt say that the C32 interior feels any better than the GTOs, so IMO you are wrong to say that the C32 is in a better league than a GTO
you just said why a c32 would be better then the gto. Styling aside, a all around balanced car is better then a one sided car. I would rather have a car that has good suspension, brakes and slightly slower at the quarter mile then just a car with better quarter mile times.

Straight line performance is one of the brench marks used to determine how good a car is, not the only one. Thats what you don't understand.

Sad part is the majority of Americans think this way. This is the difference Europeans perceive cars and Americans.

Example, most people would think a shelby mustang is better then a roush because its faster in the straight. Europeans think the roush is better because its a little slower, but it actually has tuned suspension and better brakes and is overall a more balanced car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1s9zG0FAqQ

This is also one of the reasons i picked a amg car. They have good power, unqiue styling, comfort, decent handling straight out of the box and awesome brakes.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Almost a Member!

600hp GTO Supercharged
Cool

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
you just said why a c32 would be better then the gto. Styling aside, a all around balanced car is better then a one sided car. I would rather have a car that has good suspension, brakes and slightly slower at the quarter mile then just a car with better quarter mile times.

Straight line performance is one of the brench marks used to determine how good a car is, not the only one. Thats what you don't understand.

Sad part is the majority of Americans think this way. This is the difference Europeans perceive cars and Americans.

Example, most people would think a shelby mustang is better then a roush because its faster in the straight. Europeans think the roush is better because its a little slower, but it actually has tuned suspension and better brakes and is overall a more balanced car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1s9zG0FAqQ

This is also one of the reasons i picked a amg car. They have good power, unqiue styling, comfort, decent handling straight out of the box and awesome brakes.

I'm tttoooooooooooooooooooo afraid of the wall to consider racing a car in any situation...other than a straight line controled enviorment (track) situation.
But that's just me.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm tttoooooooooooooooooooo afraid of the wall to consider racing a car in any situation...other than a straight line controled enviorment (track) situation.
But that's just me.
There's risks in drag racing as well as racing on the open track. Thats why its fun right?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/sp...rssnyt&emc=rss

Take your car out on the twisties, its just a different kind of fun. Just like you gotta make sure you dont miss a gear or feather the throttle so you dont spin too much in dragging.

Same on a track you have brake at the right moment and know when to throttle out of the apex.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 07-30-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
$7,000.00 installed blower including drag radials....
I bought the car for 21,850 with 1600 mile on the odo. (like new)
so I'm in it UNDER 30k....I slay Lambo's maser's benz, vettes, pretty much anything that gets driven to the stip gets smoked.
Quick question. Does your car have 4 doors? Does it have a Hand assembled Motor? Does your car have heated and vented seats? Does your car come with a brotherhood of the Elite? When you drive past people does your car play the OJ's? Ok, does your car have an airmatic suspension to keep your drink from being spilled as you casually cruise up to 155? Does your car have illuminated door sills? Does your car have brakes big enough to stop planets?

Quick question. Did your car come with any of the things I mentioned, stock?

What your saying is, Oh look at me. I'm better then you because my car is faster. Who cares if your car is faster? An AMG is a daily driver vs your GTO that has no traction in the rain. You have to consider this as well, an AMG is a statement. Its a symbol of Class, Taste and Elegance. Even the 1995 C36 or the AMG sledgehammer are still timeless classics unlike your VXR.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Almost a Member!

V
after market heated seats: $800
touring suspension kit: $1800
Twin turbo setup installed $8000

Look on the people's face who just spent $80k on their precious car and thought it was at the top of the food chain: priceless
Old 07-30-2008, 11:52 PM

Cars
This thread is very amusing to read. Threads like these are on every car forum I've visited..."Car X is superior to car Y because it comes with a heated crotch warmer that was hand assembled by a midget in Transylvania. Does your Y have that?" or "My X has a far superior NASA engineered flux capacitor and all brand Y's bow down before my might!"

I appreciate all cars and even more so car enthusiasts from all segments. The GTO and AMG are very different cars but share some common traits: Their owners are typically enthusiasts who wanted something different than what the masses drive as well as something with a little excitment. For some that may be superior handling while for others its blazing straight line performance. Still others may like creature comforts or low key styling. (The GTO is very low key and most people have no idea what it is and most people couldn't pick out an AMG from standard varieties of the same MB platfrom)

I say let's salute the guys that give each other a run and a thrill and respect each other for the enthusiasts we are regardless of ride choice.

Tommy_s4: I didn't see the "brotherhood of the elite" on the options list...Is there an annual fee for joining the "brotherhood of the elite" and do members get a certificate suitable for framing?

Last edited by tripower; 07-31-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
Originally Posted by tripower

Tommy_s4: I didn't see the "brotherhood of the elite" on the options list...Is there an annual fee for joining the "brotherhood of the elite" and do members get a certificate suitable for framing?
ok... You know what I ment by that.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by tripower
It's called the AMG private lounge. Anyone can get in...if you have an AMG VIN.

Last edited by ChicagoX; 07-31-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by renesis83
Look on the people's face who just spent $80k on their precious car and thought it was at the top of the food chain: priceless
Not as good as the look on the face of the guy who thinks a bunch of bolt-ons gets them anywhere close.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Well its true the new AMGs are overpriced. Except the C63. You get almost 500hp which runs low to mid 12s@115+ with the luxury amenities.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:09 PM
Almost a Member!

V
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
Well its true the new AMGs are overpriced. Except the C63. You get almost 500hp which runs low to mid 12s@115+ with the luxury amenities.
I recently saw the topgear episode where they compare it with the M3 and RS4 , I would go with the C63 all day
Are these cars marked up or any thing whats the going price
Old 07-31-2008, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
They go for low $60k range.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: slk32 vs 6.0 GTO