Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

slk32 vs 6.0 GTO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK550
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Really? Notice the title of the thread? Because $30k Mercedes are neither luxurious or fast either.
A $30k used Mercedes is still a hell of a lot more luxurious than any GTO......not to mention faster. Of course, you could always throw out the ricer argument about how you can get a used GTO for around $15k and spend less overall to make it faster than an SLK32. The only problem is that it's still a Pontiac.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by Improviz
The SLK32 was not a $30K car. More like in the $50-60K range brand new, w/retractable hard top and lotsa amenities.
Exactly. The only way to compare is MSRP to MSRP. And at $30k, the Mercedes will win on luxury, but lose in performance.

HLG600 - "performance". See above.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Exactly. The only way to compare is MSRP to MSRP.
Horse hooey. Who made you the judge of what criterion are, and are not, relevant here? If the guy in the cheaper car decides to run the guy in the faster car, then the MSRP doesn't matter.

And at $30k, the Mercedes will win on luxury, but lose in performance.
Subjective, and irrelevant.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:26 AM

Charger SRT-8
Horse hooey. Who made you the judge of what criterion are, and are not, relevant here? If the guy in the cheaper car decides to run the guy in the faster car, then the MSRP doesn't matter.

Subjective, and irrelevant.
Wrong. You want to compare luxury and performance - then you look at cost.

Subjective and irrelevant? Show me a new Mercedes at $30k that can out perform what was a new $30k GTO. Thought so.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Exactly. The only way to compare is MSRP to MSRP. And at $30k, the Mercedes will win on luxury, but lose in performance.

Okay, we play by your rulez....

tuned SRT-4 > SRT-8 ??
Old 08-12-2008, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
better than luxury
Attached Thumbnails slk32 vs 6.0 GTO-67489b646cce785.jpg  
Old 08-12-2008, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Wrong. You want to compare luxury and performance - then you look at cost.
No, you don't. Luxury is a separate item from performance, friend, which is why AMGs cost a tad bit more than entry level models. ALL Mercedes have luxury, SOME have very high performance, and the price goes up commensurately.

On the performance front: $5 Casio keeps better time than a $9200 Rolex SS Daytona, but guess which one can be turned around and sold for $1500+ over list?

Subjective and irrelevant? Show me a new Mercedes at $30k that can out perform what was a new $30k GTO. Thought so.
Who gives a ****? The GTO was a total flop in the US, chiefly because it looks like a Cavalier. It's funny that you have to resort to lame class-warfare style arguments whenever an American car gets smoked by a German car. The fact is that this car is about as popular as a case of herpes, for good reason: it is utterly undistinctive and boring from any styling standpoint, and looked like a compact $17/day rental car, not a flagship performance coupe...and the sales figures showed this, as buyers held up their noses and steered clear of it. So what if it's fast?

Inferiority complex at work here? Because the guy who bought the SLK32 new could have bought two of the GTOs, but obviously had the good sense not to, as did most people interested in that segment. There are nice American muscle cars available, but this iteration of the goat was a total disappointment.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Chappy

tuned SRT-4 > SRT-8 ??
Thwack! That sound you just heard is the hammer hitting the nail right on the head!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Thats why my bro is getting rid of his 04 GTO. I couldve got a new 05-06 GTO with 400hp but styling is bland and has no class. Just a big motor with a Pontiac logo for $30k+. Whats up with the Pont G8? Looks like another Grand prix!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:11 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
No, you don't. Luxury is a separate item from performance, friend, which is why AMGs cost a tad bit more than entry level models. ALL Mercedes have luxury, SOME have very high performance, and the price goes up commensurately.

On the performance front: $5 Casio keeps better time than a $9200 Rolex SS Daytona, but guess which one can be turned around and sold for $1500+ over list?

Who gives a ****? The GTO was a total flop in the US, chiefly because it looks like a Cavalier. It's funny that you have to resort to lame class-warfare style arguments whenever an American car gets smoked by a German car. The fact is that this car is about as popular as a case of herpes, for good reason: it is utterly undistinctive and boring from any styling standpoint, and looked like a compact $17/day rental car, not a flagship performance coupe...and the sales figures showed this, as buyers held up their noses and steered clear of it. So what if it's fast?

Inferiority complex at work here? Because the guy who bought the SLK32 new could have bought two of the GTOs, but obviously had the good sense not to, as did most people interested in that segment. There are nice American muscle cars available, but this iteration of the goat was a total disappointment.
It seems that GM's big cure-all is to throw the Vette engine in other brands and they figure it will sell it self. Pontiac missed the mark on the GTO and I think this is why you see them moving ahead cautiously with the Camero re-incarnation. The GTO's were sitting on lots collecting dust. Every time I took my Co. car in for service they were ready to wheel and deal to mover them.

Problem with Pontiac in my opinion is they really do all look the same. The one Pontiac I'm in love with was Pontiac thinking way outside the box for the time with the 70 Trans Am. The G8 is at least a stab in the right direction though. Making it look the the BMW makes it more popular that just inside the Pontiac ring. Folks that can't aford the bimmer may very well opt for the G8.

Last edited by hkycoldrct; 08-12-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by hkycoldrct
It seems that GM's big cure-all is to throw the Vette engine in other brands and they figure it will sell it self. Pontiac missed the mark on the GTO and I think this is why you see them moving ahead cautiously with the Camero re-incarnation. The GTO's were sitting on lots collecting dust. Every time I took my Co. car in for service they were ready to wheel and deal to mover them.

Problem with Pontiac in my opinion is they really do all look the same. The one Pontiac I'm in love with was Pontiac thinking way outside the box for the time with the 70 Trans Am. The G8 is at least a stab in the right direction though. Making it look the the BMW makes it more popular that just inside the Pontiac ring. Folks that can't aford the bimmer may very well opt for the G8.

I do like the looks of the new Camaro; it is a throwback to the days way back when, when GM actually made good (and distinctive) looking cars. It is unfortunate that they waited so long to release it, as w/gas at 4 bucks a gal., it probably won't do nearly as well as it would have a few years ago....

But yeah, those GTOs are butt-ugly. I actually followed the release with great anticipation (was rooting for GM, believe it or not), but when I saw it I was like "Wtf?!?!?"
Old 08-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by hkycoldrct
...The G8 is at least a stab in the right direction though...
+1

I’ve long admired Pontiacs - from the 1964 GTO through their ’74 SD 455 TA & Formula.

When properly equipped, they were able to more than hold their own against the cars of the era. Immense backdoor engineering support that found its way to Detroit’s Woodward Avenue and, shortly thereafter, the dragstrip. The ~81,000 GTOs (excluding it lesser Tempest and LeMans variants) sold in 1967 were testament to their market penetration. Highly profitable for GM. Those were indeed GM’s glory years, as they’ve continued to lose market share since those heady days. They’re still a worthwhile collectable investment, if that’s your cup of tea.

I’ve been trounced by a few LS1 and LS2 GTOs at the local ‘strip. Beat some, too. Rather pleased to head back home in the MB, regardless. For a Monaro to have ever been badged as a GTO is blasphemous, imho. Robert Lutz’s intentions were (and are) well founded. He only has so much with which to work. It did, however, fail miserably in the contemporary marketplace.

Had a go with a young buck in a G8 the other day. He went 0 for 3.
To his credit, he gestured with an upwardly-extended thumb.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:44 AM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Wink

Originally Posted by splinter
+1

I’ve long admired Pontiacs - from the 1964 GTO through their ’74 SD 455 TA & Formula.

When properly equipped, they were able to more than hold their own against the cars of the era. Immense backdoor engineering support that found its way to Detroit’s Woodward Avenue and, shortly thereafter, the dragstrip. The ~81,000 GTOs (excluding it lesser Tempest and LeMans variants) sold in 1967 were testament to their market penetration. Highly profitable for GM. Those were indeed GM’s glory years, as they’ve continued to lose market share since those heady days. They’re still a worthwhile collectable investment, if that’s your cup of tea.

I’ve been trounced by a few LS1 and LS2 GTOs at the local ‘strip. Beat some, too. Rather pleased to head back home in the MB, regardless. For a Monaro to have ever been badged as a GTO is blasphemous, imho. Robert Lutz’s intentions were (and are) well founded. He only has so much with which to work. It did, however, fail miserably in the contemporary marketplace.

Had a go with a young buck in a G8 the other day. He went 0 for 3.
'74 SD 455? What's that? It amazes me that there were so few SD's built but you can find a new listing a week advertising 'all original numbers matching' SD's! Le old buyer beware!

I test drove a G8 and it wasn't near as peppy as the 'ol trey-deuce. Maybe the GXP G8 offering will be a little more lively. How badly did you trounce on the G8? Stock or any mods to it?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:23 AM

CLK550

tuned SRT-4 > SRT-8 ??
Already done that with my old SRT-4. Wasn't much of a contest.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i think this gto vs amg argument is more fun to read then the actual kill story.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Thwack! That sound you just heard is the hammer hitting the nail right on the head!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:04 AM

Charger SRT-8

tuned SRT-4 > SRT-8 ??
wow. tuned vs. stock and MAYBE with the stock turbo and on race gas. Not even in the realm of this debate.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 08-13-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:07 AM

Charger SRT-8

Thanks for proving my point. They both affect cost. If you go back and actually read the posts, it was stated that GTOs are neither fast NOR luxurious. Well gee, a new Mercedes at $30k is hardly either as well and definitely slower.

If you want to introduce $50k and higher cars to the equation, then look at the Corvette.

That's the point.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 08-13-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Thanks for proving my point. They both affect cost.
Inventing quotes now for yourself? You never argued this. What you're doing is changing your argument to suit the facts, and this is BS. Someone said that Goats are neither luxurious nor fast (the second point is, imo, false), and then you chimed in about the price point.

So instead of discussing apples to apples (speed), you want to discuss oranges and watermelons.

If you go back and actually read the posts, it was stated that GTOs are neither fast NOR luxurious.
So? I'm not arguing with him, I'm arguing with you, and you pulled $30K out of the air in a discussion about performance, because you can't win on the main issue, so you have to resort to a red herring argument about $30K.

Actually, you should lower the price point on the GTO, because frankly few people were stupid enough to pay full sticker for them, and even fewer bought them at the deeply discounted prices that GM had to offer to get those things off their hands.

Well gee, a new Mercedes at $30k is hardly either as well and definitely slower.
Odd, you seemed to be singing a different tune a few posts back...what was it you said, ah, yes:
Hmm, I believe we have a flip-flop here, ladies and gents!

Actually, it is more luxurious, infinitely more prestigious, and offers the added benefit of NOT looking like a Cavalier. It also has infinitely more quality parts used in its construction, a more sophisticated engine, transmission, standard items, and a host of other features that the rental-car looking GTO doesn't have, for example a seven speed automatic transmission, versus four in the GTO.

If you want to introduce $50k and higher cars to the equation, then look at the Corvette.

That's the point.
Funny, I thought the point was the race between these two cars (looks at title of thread). Oh, gee, that's because that IS the point of this discussion, your little banter aside.

Last edited by Improviz; 08-13-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by splinter
...Had a go with a young buck in a G8 the other day. He went 0 for 3.
Nice. I torched a white 2008 Infiniti G37S in Irvine last week and he wouldn't even look over, after mad-******* me at the light.

The only GTO I like is the one in the movie "XxX" with Vin Diesel and Asia Argento. The new ones are longer Grand Prixs. Not even in the same league as an AMG.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Inventing quotes now for yourself? You never argued this. What you're doing is changing your argument to suit the facts, and this is BS. Someone said that Goats are neither luxurious nor fast (the second point is, imo, false), and then you chimed in about the price point.

So instead of discussing apples to apples (speed), you want to discuss oranges and watermelons.

So? I'm not arguing with him, I'm arguing with you, and you pulled $30K out of the air in a discussion about performance, because you can't win on the main issue, so you have to resort to a red herring argument about $30K.

Actually, you should lower the price point on the GTO, because frankly few people were stupid enough to pay full sticker for them, and even fewer bought them at the deeply discounted prices that GM had to offer to get those things off their hands.

Odd, you seemed to be singing a different tune a few posts back...what was it you said, ah, yes:

Actually, it is more luxurious, infinitely more prestigious, and offers the added benefit of NOT looking like a Cavalier. It also has infinitely more quality parts used in its construction, a more sophisticated engine, transmission, standard items, and a host of other features that the rental-car looking GTO doesn't have, for example a seven speed automatic transmission, versus four in the GTO.

Funny, I thought the point was the race between these two cars (looks at title of thread). Oh, gee, that's because that IS the point of this discussion, your little banter aside.

1+
Old 08-14-2008, 10:30 AM

Charger SRT-8

You have a ridiculous method of confusing the debate. For the second time, go back and read the post.

The statement is a GTO is neither luxurious or fast. Neither is a Mercedes that costs the same amount. And the only way to compare is MSRP vs. MSRP. If you don't understand that, then there is no need to continue.

A flip-flop? Oh please. The Mercedes, while still having more content than the GTO, is hardly a "luxurious car" at $30k.

I could give a crap about the styling, that's not the topic either.
If you want to brag about a $50-$60k AMG Mercedes for luxury or speed (and not by much) vs. a GTO, that's just being an arrogant ***** that would be laughed off any other forum. You pay for what you get.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 08-14-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Banned

Bantha
The GTO is a bungle except for the engine. We know Detroit can make some of the best motors in the world that's not even a question. But its the whole package, the Pontiac is just a flop.

You want ***** and nice styling wait for the SS Camaro.

The SLK? AMG or not, its a car for women and Merlot sippin' nancy boys.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
You have a ridiculous method of confusing the debate. For the second time, go back and read the post.

The statement is a GTO is neither luxurious or fast. Neither is a Mercedes that costs the same amount. And the only way to compare is MSRP vs. MSRP. If you don't understand that, then there is no need to continue.
I understand it perfectly, I'm just saying that it is a ridiculous, nonsensical argument.

A flip-flop? Oh please.
Hmm, let's see here; first, you said:
Then, you said:
...it was stated that GTOs are neither fast NOR luxurious. Well gee, a new Mercedes at $30k is hardly either as well and definitely slower.
So, you're saying this isn't a flop, and has perfect intellectual consistency....fine, then please explain how a car that you said on one hand is "hardly" luxurious can still win on luxury when compared against the breathtakingly ugly GTO, unless of course your main argument is that since the Mercedes has "hardly" any luxury, and yet it "wins on luxury", then prima facie the GTO has NO luxury--in which case you've just proved our point, and with yourself to be wrong, and, well, not the sharpest knife in the debating drawer.

Nicely done.

The Mercedes, while still having more content than the GTO, is hardly a "luxurious car" at $30k.
Funny how all automotive publications seem to classify Mercedes as "luxury" cars...perhaps you know something they don't.

I could give a crap about the styling, that's not the topic either.
No, it seems quite apparent that insofar as you are concerned, the topic is whatever you deem it to be, excluding of course the one which this thread is actually about.

But here's a challenge for you: find me any automotive publication which listed the GTO as a "luxury" car. And find me one which does NOT list Mercedes as a luxury car.

Good luck.

Aren't your hands getting just a wee bit tired of grasping at straws and holding up red herrings?

But hey, here's a nice thing: we can compare. Let's just have a look at the "nonluxurious" C300, which retails at the same price as the GTO, via autos.msn.com, checked also at a few other sites (mbusa, edmunds) :

GTO C300
tranny: 4 spd auto 7 spd auto
warranty: 3/36 4/48
lifetime roadside assist n/a std
engine 16V, 67 hp/litre 24v, 76 hp/litre
brake assist n/a std
VSC n/a std
dual climate control n/a std
front side airbags n/a std
f/r side head curtain airbags n/a std
speed sensitive steering n/a std
interior air filtration n/a std
sunroof n/a std
one touch up/dn pwr windows n/a std
open/close windows/sunroof w/remote n/a std
sun sensor for climate control n/a std
weatherband radio n/a std
wood trim n/a std
tire pressure monitoring n/a std
bluetooth interface n/a std

Items available on Benz not offered on GTO: auto dimming mirrors, rain sensing wipers, navigation, bi-xenon headlights, subwoofer, dvd player, heated exterior mirrors, heated seats, folding rear seat, hands free phone, telematic system, homelink system, satellite radio, heated headlight washers, rear power sunshade, 10 way memory drivers seat including power steering column w/memory, satellite radio, voice control for nav system.

Oh, yeah....that's "barely" a win if ever there was one!!

If you want to brag about a $50-$60k AMG Mercedes for luxury or speed (and not by much) vs. a GTO, that's just being an arrogant ***** that would be laughed off any other forum. You pay for what you get.
Oh, so out trots the class warfare argument again, along with name calling. You seem to have a lot of resentment towards Mercedes owners. Well, **** off, friend: I worked hard to get where I am, and make apologies to no one; NOTHING was handed to me on a silver platter, and I'm not "arrogant", I'm simply dismantling your silly argument brick by brick.

Last edited by Improviz; 08-15-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Is this a "deam car" we all aspire too? These may be the darlings of the local constabulary and rental fleets, but no takers here.
Attached Thumbnails slk32 vs 6.0 GTO-charger_police_car.jpg   slk32 vs 6.0 GTO-untitled.bmp   slk32 vs 6.0 GTO-wka2005032446984_pv.jpg   slk32 vs 6.0 GTO-rental-magnum.jpg   slk32 vs 6.0 GTO-gto-rental.bmp  

slk32 vs 6.0 GTO-charger-rental.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: slk32 vs 6.0 GTO