Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

08 CLS 63 vs 05 GTO 6.0

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Kompressor
Talking 08 CLS 63 vs 05 GTO 6.0

I own the 05 GTO (6.0 rated @ 400 HP) and little brother owns the 08 AMG (Rated @ 507 hp ).
Both on street tires and from a 30 MPH roll. Even through 2nd gear (for me 2nd as I have a 6 speed don't know what gear his was as it's a 7 speed Auto) catch 3rd (tire scratch and all, Love it with TC off!) and that damn 4 door starts to pull HARD! By the time I'm in 4th he's solidly ahead by a 1 - 1.5 cars. Gap didn't get any bigger nor do I close it any. Ran it back a couple more times, exact same results.
Felt pretty good with the results since we both know that damn Benz HAD to be faster than the GTO (in stock configuration). I mean, whatever combination of gearing they used in the tranny & rear, AMG got it perfect! That damn 4 door pulls like a freight train when you step on the loud pedal (and the trip-tronic shifting is fun!) I wouldn't of paid 100 Large plus luxury tax (neither did my brother) but it's a nice *** car none the less.
I have Long Tubes, Mid-Pipes, Under Drive Pulley, Cam-Pushrods-Springs I plan to install during the week. After the install and a tune, I'm shooting for a solid 400 HP/TQ TO THE WHEELS and the re-match shall commence. I'm fairly certain that the car positioning should be swapped given that power should be "close" to the wheels and the slight weight difference
Old 03-22-2009, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by MM Alexander
I own the 05 GTO (6.0 rated @ 400 HP) and little brother owns the 08 AMG (Rated @ 507 hp ).
Both on street tires and from a 30 MPH roll. Even through 2nd gear (for me 2nd as I have a 6 speed don't know what gear his was as it's a 7 speed Auto) catch 3rd (tire scratch and all, Love it with TC off!) and that damn 4 door starts to pull HARD! By the time I'm in 4th he's solidly ahead by a 1 - 1.5 cars. Gap didn't get any bigger nor do I close it any. Ran it back a couple more times, exact same results.
Felt pretty good with the results since we both know that damn Benz HAD to be faster than the GTO (in stock configuration). I mean, whatever combination of gearing they used in the tranny & rear, AMG got it perfect! That damn 4 door pulls like a freight train when you step on the loud pedal (and the trip-tronic shifting is fun!) I wouldn't of paid 100 Large plus luxury tax (neither did my brother) but it's a nice *** car none the less.
I have Long Tubes, Mid-Pipes, Under Drive Pulley, Cam-Pushrods-Springs I plan to install during the week. After the install and a tune, I'm shooting for a solid 400 HP/TQ TO THE WHEELS and the re-match shall commence. I'm fairly certain that the car positioning should be swapped given that power should be "close" to the wheels and the slight weight difference

Weird...there's a trap speed difference of 8-10 mph between these two cars, I'd have expected him to pull you by more than a few lengths.

Was he in gear, or stomping the gas while in drive and letting the vehicle downshift after the "go" signal?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:21 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor
Arrow

Don't know how he shifted (I didn't ask) but we've been racing high horsepower cars for YEARS (close to 20 of them). I'm fairly certain he shifted via the pedals on the steering wheel (again we're far from rookies, lol)
Also, where are you getting "trap speeds" from? Please don't tell me you're referencing some magazine/e-zine article
Those idiots (as far as straight line performance goes) couldn't get a Terminator nor a Z06 in the 11's (which we've done when they were both STOCK!
Sorry, but the results were just as I posted above and we ran repeatedly (over the course of 1/s hour) with the repeated results. He won, every time by the same margin of victory
I'll be sure to update this thread within the next 2 weeks once I get the parts on and a tune done.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Banned

SL600
I don't know about this one. My brother had the exact same GTO you had, modded even (with exhaust, here is the the GTO).

It didn't play nice. It ate up my A4 and S4 (both of which were tuned) like cake, come the E55 however... (after my IC fix ) well, the GTO just wasn't competition. I'd beat it pretty bad. No video unfortunately, but trust me your GTO couldn't hang with the CLS63-- this is coming from experience with a similar platform, not a magazine.

If you do happen to run again, please record it. I'd love to see this.

Last edited by Akademiks; 03-22-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:38 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor
Having exhaust does not really equal a modded car to me. Cam, LT's, UDP and good tune will put out 400 HP/TQ with the LS2. The e63 put's maybe 440 to the wheels and weighs a good 4 - 500 pounds more. I'm pretty sure the GTO will beat your beloved MB. Sorry, but nothing built/bought is invincible. Trust me on that. My Mustang puts 590/627 HP/TQ to the wheels. 10 second (10.78 @ 138.4 on Drag Radials) full interior with A/C and it's not even considered "fast" for a street car in these parts (Houston Tx.) ****, we've got WRX's, Civic's and a myriad of other brands that cover it and then some! If you feel your AMG should/will/can beat anything it rolls against (no matter how the other is modded) you really need to get out more. Houston has a way of knocking any chips off your shoulder (car related) QUICKLY!
Old 03-22-2009, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Don't know how he shifted (I didn't ask) but we've been racing high horsepower cars for YEARS (close to 20 of them). I'm fairly certain he shifted via the pedals on the steering wheel (again we're far from rookies, lol)
Also, where are you getting "trap speeds" from? Please don't tell me you're referencing some magazine/e-zine article
Those idiots (as far as straight line performance goes) couldn't get a Terminator nor a Z06 in the 11's (which we've done when they were both STOCK!
Sorry, but the results were just as I posted above and we ran repeatedly (over the course of 1/s hour) with the repeated results. He won, every time by the same margin of victory
I'll be sure to update this thread within the next 2 weeks once I get the parts on and a tune done.
I'm referencing multiple sources, including runs I've seen done for both cars at actual tracks by actual people, you know, as opposed to those figments of my imagination that conduct those "non-real-world" tests in magazines; everyone knows those are all done on some faraway planet by aliens, not here on earth by real humans driving real cars provided to them by real manufacturers.

Bottom line is this: CLS63s trap in the 11x range, and 6L Goats trap in the 10x range. Further, horsepower is 100 apart stock to stock, and curb weight is fairly close as well, within a few hundred pounds.

So I'm basing my opinion on that.

Something doesn't sound right here.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Having exhaust does not really equal a modded car to me. Cam, LT's, UDP and good tune will put out 400 HP/TQ with the LS2. The e63 put's maybe 440 to the wheels and weighs a good 4 - 500 pounds more. I'm pretty sure the GTO will beat your beloved MB. Sorry, but nothing built/bought is invincible. Trust me on that. My Mustang puts 590/627 HP/TQ to the wheels. 10 second (10.78 @ 138.4 on Drag Radials) full interior with A/C and it's not even considered "fast" for a street car in these parts (Houston Tx.) ****, we've got WRX's, Civic's and a myriad of other brands that cover it and then some! If you feel your AMG should/will/can beat anything it rolls against (no matter how the other is modded) you really need to get out more. Houston has a way of knocking any chips off your shoulder (car related) QUICKLY!
Which is all wonderful, but has nothing to do with the race you're describing, i.e. stock vs stock.

And stock to stock, a CLS63 should be able to walk a stock 6.0 Goat pretty good.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

SL600
lol you sound hella bitter. Calm down. I never said anything about beating modded cars. The point of saying my Brothers GTO had exhaust was to say its FASTER then your stock GTO and even his couldn't beat my E55. And a CLS63 is failry close in performance to a E55.

I never said I was the fastest, nor did I say I could beat your car.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:53 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor
Improviz, you're exactly right.
I have no idea what I'm talking about and a FEW HUNDRED POUNDS is easily made up by rated 100 HP difference (at the motor none the less, through an Auto).
Hell, I must have imagined this all as well or forgotten the details (since it happened about 14 -15 hours ago now).
I didn't post this to e-warrior against you or anyone else. Just found it entertaining and it made for a fun evening (my brothers and I are often too busy with this thing called life to hang out as we did in yesteryear, unfortunately)
But like I stated above, come on down/over to Houston, Tejas and bring that invincible 63 and a fat wallet. You should have no problem filling it with dead Presidents by beating up on the local LSx based cars/trucks.
We'll try and get out at a better time next round (was pretty late last night and a spur of the moment thing) so we can get some video PROOF of the events.
I'm pretty sure my Brother has a an account here, I'll text him a link to this and let him opine on last nite's decadance.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Banned

SL600
I have no idea what I'm talking about and a FEW HUNDRED POUNDS is easily made up by rated 100 HP difference (at the motor none the less, through an Auto).
Hell, I must have imagined this all as well or forgotten the details (since it happened about 14 -15 hours ago now).
I didn't post this to e-warrior against you or anyone else. Just found it entertaining and it made for a fun evening (my brothers and I are often too busy with this thing called life to hang out as we did in yesteryear, unfortunately)
But like I stated above, come on down/over to Houston, Tejas and bring that invincible 63 and a fat wallet. You should have no problem filling it with dead Presidents by beating up on the local LSx based cars/trucks.
We'll try and get out at a better time next round (was pretty late last night and a spur of the moment thing) so we can get some video PROOF of the events.
I'm pretty sure my Brother has a an account here, I'll text him a link to this and let him opine on last nite's decadance.
Dude, it's a simple fact. Here is your GTO. 13.29? And you say you went door to door with a car that does this? 12.1?

Are you serious? And quit bringing up money and dead presidents and Huston, because quite frankly no one cares. No one here is saying the AMG is the fastest thing ever-- it's just faster then your GTO.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:00 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor
Cool

Originally Posted by Improviz
And stock to stock, a CLS63 should be able to walk a stock 6.0 Goat pretty good.

Just saw that and had to reply on that .
What have YOUR results been? Please, share with the curious (such as myself)
Old 03-22-2009, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Man, you sure seem to have a big chip on your shoulder, along with a propensity towards assumption along with putting lots of words into people's mouths. So far you're the only one in the thread to spout off about money, or lack thereof, which is kind of amusing, not to mention pathetic: all anyone has said here is that stock to stock, the CLS63 traps several MPH faster than a stock GTO 6.0L. You're the one who's got his knickers in a twist and are trying to deflect using a stupid class warfare-type argument, which has nothing to do with the relative performance of these two vehicles.

But I've got better things to do to run down to Houston to run a Goat. As to what my CLS55 (not 63) can do vs. a stock Goat: considering how it's fared against the same engine mounted in Vettes that weigh several hundred pounds less than a stock goat, I'm not really too worried about it.

Last edited by Improviz; 03-22-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG

Just saw that and had to reply on that .
What have YOUR results been? Please, share with the curious (such as myself)
Haven't run a stock GTO 6L in this car, but did in my previous car and it was pretty even, while a 5.7L stocker was not so fortunate.

As to the current car: here's a vid of stocker vs a 450 rwhp Mustang, so I don't think I need to be too concerned about a 400 crank horsepower GTO.

Just curious, though: do you have any slips? From what you're saying you should be into the upper 12's to be running within a carlength or two of a CLS63. Please, share with the curious.

Last edited by Improviz; 03-22-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:21 PM

03 C32 AMG
Ive raced a Stock ls2 gto and took it off the line and gained a car . This is in my C32 AMG also.

Havent raced one rolling yet , but im sure theres no way a stock ls2 is hanging with the amg.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by EURO KNG
Ive raced a Stock ls2 gto and took it off the line and gained a car . This is in my C32 AMG also.

Havent raced one rolling yet , but im sure theres no way a stock ls2 is hanging with the amg.
Yeah, sounds about right.

Although according to the delusional op, your car should tie with a CLS63.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
That was actually a mistake on his part. Have him put it into sport mode (not manual), put it in the lowest gear it will go at whatever speed you guys decide to start from, and I believe you will see him put a good bit more distance on you.

Us humans cannot shift as efficiently as the computer can on these auto trannies...at least not without a LOT of practice.

Have him try that before your mods go on and I bet you see quite a difference.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
I ran a stock ls2 GTO 6spd 400hp. From a roll I walked it. With the cls63 it wouldve been ugly. Probably the cls63 was spinning.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
i have dominated many LS2 GTOs with my older/slower (40whp slower) setup. I might be able to keep up with a CLS63 on my new setup (not sure). But there is NO WAY that a stock LS2 is staying even within 3 CLs of a CLS63 AMG
Old 03-25-2009, 11:41 PM

cls63
Owner of 07' cls 63 amg in question. yeah it was only about 2 car lenghts, we rolled at 30 did the the 3 honks and punched it. i was in sport mode. esp off. wanted to play with the tiptronic so had it to hold in 3rd while we started play should have been 2nd gear but was curious and then shifted the rest of the way. only went a little over a 1/4 mile spread or so. after we finish putting the mods on the gto will get some video this go around we play like this on a regular sibling rivery at its best. but if my 63 was suppose to walk and keep walking on the gto i need to go get some warranty work done!! im waiting to find an 09' cts v to play with
Old 03-25-2009, 11:52 PM

cls63
Wink

Originally Posted by Timeless
That was actually a mistake on his part. Have him put it into sport mode (not manual), put it in the lowest gear it will go at whatever speed you guys decide to start from, and I believe you will see him put a good bit more distance on you.

Us humans cannot shift as efficiently as the computer can on these auto trannies...at least not without a LOT of practice.

Have him try that before your mods go on and I bet you see quite a difference.

your right on having the computer do the shifting but it was just a few test runs to see difference the mods are gonna make on the gto next time we will get more in depth with video
Old 03-26-2009, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by RAW INC
Owner of 07' cls 63 amg in question. yeah it was only about 2 car lenghts, we rolled at 30 did the the 3 honks and punched it. i was in sport mode. esp off. wanted to play with the tiptronic so had it to hold in 3rd while we started play should have been 2nd gear but was curious and then shifted the rest of the way. only went a little over a 1/4 mile spread or so. after we finish putting the mods on the gto will get some video this go around we play like this on a regular sibling rivery at its best. but if my 63 was suppose to walk and keep walking on the gto i need to go get some warranty work done!! im waiting to find an 09' cts v to play with
Waitaminute...you started in third gear? At 30 mph? Well, that explains it....crap, next time leave the parking brake on, that'll make it even more advantageous for your opponent!

The only "warranty work" your car needs is to replace the nut behind the wheel. At that speed, you should've been starting the run in first gear, not third. Here are the max speeds in gears, according to Car & Driver:

1st - 44.1
2nd - 67.2
3rd - 100.1
4th - 140.7

You still had a good 14 mph to go in first...basically, you botched the race, not the car.

Next time, do this: 1) put in sport mode; 2) paddle shift down to the lowest gear the car will let you go into; 3) punch it, and let the car do the rest.

Last edited by Improviz; 03-26-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:03 AM
Banned

SL600
You FAIL.

Last edited by Akademiks; 03-26-2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:42 AM

cls63
Originally Posted by Improviz
Waitaminute...you started in third gear? At 30 mph? Well, that explains it....crap, next time leave the parking brake on, that'll make it even more advantageous for your opponent!

The only "warranty work" your car needs is to replace the nut behind the wheel. At that speed, you should've been starting the run in first gear, not third. Here are the max speeds in gears, according to Car & Driver:

1st - 44.1
2nd - 67.2
3rd - 100.1
4th - 140.7

You still had a good 14 mph to go in first...basically, you botched the race, not the car.

Next time, do this: 1) put in sport mode; 2) paddle shift down to the lowest gear the car will let you go into; 3) punch it, and let the car do the rest.

If thats the case it really wasnt a bothched race. If you read again I did the steps you just said. i was in sports mode, while in sports mode i had it hold in 3rd gear before i shift (or till computer says ur gonna tear it up and shifts for u. which by the way is what you are doing if u paddle shift to lowest gear and then do not shift anymore) that dosent mean I started in 3rd!! At 30mph roll (sport mode) car should have been in 2nd when i punch it if the computer goes to 1st again im not sure will pay more attention to that next time.(new to tiptronic) but i really doubt it does. So what if i ran it as hard as an unwanted stepchild, and only have gotten maybe- maybe 3 car lenghts instead of 2. That would be even more of a disgrace. I ran it as hard as i could and that all i beat u by. That really sucks but a win is a win they say
Old 03-26-2009, 08:54 AM

cls63
The rematch is on the way ofcourse with gto.should be finished minus tune dont see us really waiting for that might also do a pass or two from stop. since i have an advantage with tire grip. very little spin from dead stop to flooring the pedal. and this is taking off in 1st gear esp off. thanks to 295/30/19 pirelli in the rear
Old 03-26-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
If thats the case it really wasnt a bothched race. If you read again I did the steps you just said. i was in sports mode, while in sports mode i had it hold in 3rd gear before i shift (or till computer says ur gonna tear it up and shifts for u. which by the way is what you are doing if u paddle shift to lowest gear and then do not shift anymore) that dosent mean I started in 3rd!! At 30mph roll (sport mode) car should have been in 2nd when i punch it if the computer goes to 1st again im not sure will pay more attention to that next time.(new to tiptronic) but i really doubt it does. So what if i ran it as hard as an unwanted stepchild, and only have gotten maybe- maybe 3 car lenghts instead of 2. That would be even more of a disgrace. I ran it as hard as i could and that all i beat u by. That really sucks but a win is a win they say
Don't understand any of that. How about this...put it in drive and floor it, 'kay ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 08 CLS 63 vs 05 GTO 6.0