Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

My CL600 vs 2 C6's and a T/A

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes
My CL600 vs 2 C6's and a T/A

Up until this weekend the only cars that I had run in my CL was a Mustang GT and a stock LS6 CTS-V...and while they were both nice cars, neither was much of a challenge. So, this weekend I got to race two C6 Vettes and a 99 Trans Am.
Friday night I was crusing around and had seen a red C6 Vette, but he wasn't interested so I went on about my rat killing...kinda frustrated that he didn't wanna run...and about 2 hours later see the only other "fast" car of the night (the rest had been Muffstains and other cars that thought they were fast)...a 99 Trans Am.
So...I stalk the T/A for a little while to see if he's game, and he is, so we go out to a semi-abandoned road that's marked off for a 1/4 mile for a quick race. The road is kinda crappy...but is ok for a quick impromptu race. We line up to go from a dig, and on the third honk we both hit it....and spin. He catches first and jumps about a car and a half out front. I finally catch and start running him and wind up beating him by about a car length.
We pull over and talk for a little while. We exchange compliments on the cars and I mention the red Vette that ignored me. He says he's friends with that guy, so he calls him and sets up a race.
So, the T/A, the Vette, and I head out to a different part of town to run 3 wide from a 30 mph roll. Again, we go on the third honk and the T/A jumps out in front again and the poor Vette just doesn't have it...it's pretty much a race between me and the T/A. The results are about to be similar to the first race...but his radar detector goes off so we all shut it down real quick. A few second later a sheriff turns the corner. We are behaving at this point so he goes on by and doesn't give us any trouble.
We decide that it's not safe to run there anymore, so we go on a diff road and are gonna run the CL vs the Vette, then the winner vs the T/A. This is about the time I realize that my transmission is in Comfort mode rather than Sport. So I change the tranny and get ready. The Vette and I go from a 30 roll and he pretty much got left...final was about 4-5 cars ahead. So, now it's me vs the T/A. Again, a 30 mph roll and I win by about 3-4 cars...with the transmission in sport, he doesn't get the jump this time.
I call it a night at this point...and both the T/A and Vette drivers were cool guys. For those who will wonder, the T/A is a mostly stock 6 speed car with short tube headers, lid, and an LS6 intake and the Vette is a stock auto with an LS2.
Fast forward to Sunday afternoon, I'm headed home from town and see an orange C6. A red light catches both of us. The light turns green and we both hit it...and I pull away from him pretty easily. I don't know anything about it, except that it seemed stock except for maybe a cat back. He was cool too and we both exchanged compliments on the car.
Now, I know that I make a lot more power than those three, but with the weight advantage I honestly wasn't sure what the outcome would be. Just hope now I can catch some quicker cars running around and see how I stack up against them.

Last edited by FormulaZR; 08-03-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
interesting results. no surprise you won your races of course. good thing you noticed you were in C instead of S lol.

i would think the LS2 vette (was it a vert?) would pull harder on the LS1 T/A, as it only has intake and shorties.......which, to be honest, i dont think is enough to pull on a LS2 vette or keep up with it for that matter. maybe the LS2 guy didnt know how to drive? or the T/A guy was not mentioning all his mods? i know LS motors respond great to mods, but shorties are almost worthless on those cars ( i think nits like 10whp versus 20+ with LTs)
Old 08-02-2009, 10:04 PM

Yes
Ha ha, yea, I feel like a total douche for being in C (I don't know how it got there...must've been an accident), but **** happens, right?

To be honest, I really thought the Vette might pull up top...but I guess not. I really thing both Vette's needed a driver mod, though.

On the T/A, though...I own 2 LS1 powered cars and I'm pretty sure there's some stuff done to it that he's not telling. Either that...or he's got one hell of a factory freak! Especially since if he had an 01 or 02 car he would've had that intake stock...I've ever seen a short tube header/lid car pull that hard.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by FormulaZR
Ha ha, yea, I feel like a total douche for being in C (I don't know how it got there...must've been an accident), but **** happens, right?

To be honest, I really thought the Vette might pull up top...but I guess not. I really thing both Vette's needed a driver mod, though.

On the T/A, though...I own 2 LS1 powered cars and I'm pretty sure there's some stuff done to it that he's not telling. Either that...or he's got one hell of a factory freak! Especially since if he had an 01 or 02 car he would've had that intake stock...I've ever seen a short tube header/lid car pull that hard.
my thoughts exactly. that T/A had to have more done than he was letting on. I have pulled on LS1 camaros with full exhaust, and lid......and i dont pull like that on C6s or keep up for a little with a Cl600

he was probably full bolt-on with gears at the very least me thinks
Old 08-03-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Z06, 2006 Touareg V8, 1999 A4 1.8t, 1997 M3
On the T/A, though...I own 2 LS1 powered cars and I'm pretty sure there's some stuff done to it that he's not telling.
Tell us more about your f-bodies! Specifically, 785whp?! turbo + spray?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:28 PM

Yes
Originally Posted by TwentyValveB5
Tell us more about your f-bodies! Specifically, 785whp?! turbo + spray?

Didn't figure anyone would want to hear about those cars on here...

The '94 is kinda my cruise car to sound cool. It's a Z28 Convertible (94 was the first year of the new body to be a drop top, and is 1 of about 3500 Z28 'Verts for that year). Anyway, it's pretty basic, it has a Lloyd Elliot top end package on it which is just P&P factory heads and intake, 1000 cfm mono blade throttle body, 383 4-bolt main LT1, Comp "Big ***** Thumper" cam (just to sound cool), Vig 3600 converter, LT headers, Dr Gas street boom tube mufflers, stock 4L60E, and a 3.42 geared 10-bolt with a girdle.

The '01 is a 6 speed Formula with an LS6 intake, P&P 853 casting heads, ported 78mm throttle body, stock short block (347ci), custom grind cam (221/221 duration @ .050, .580/.580 lift, 114 LSA), LT headers, true duals with an X-pipe, baby dry nitrous shot (75-125 hp), and a stock 10 bolt rear end waiting to blow up...it's basically a stock appearing car that inherited some of the old parts from my '99.

The '99 is an auto Formula with a Fast 92 intake, ported 92mm TB, P&P AFR heads, 383 stroker LS1 block with 12:1 compression, custom cam (238/244 @ .050, .609/.615 lift, 112 LSA), 1 7/8 to 1 3/4 stepped LT headers, true duals with X-pipe, Ford 9" rear end with a Detroit locker and gun drilled axles, Rossler 4L60E w/ brake, Vig 3600 converter, and wet nitrous (150-300 hp) with a stand alone fuel system for the spray...the motor put 493 to the tires all motor and jetted for a 300 shot put down 787.

The '99 is by far my sweetheart car, it has 89k on the clock and the interior looks almost brand new, it is still a street car and does have A/C...it hasn't been gutted in any way.

The 99's old top end is on the '01 now. When the 99 still had a factory short block, factory 10 bolt with 3.23 gears, and no trans brake it would go 11.60's on motor and 10.50's on a 125 shot...I haven't gotten to run it since I got the new motor, but I'm hoping for high 9's.

Here's a couple pics of the '99...

Short Idle Clip:

Last edited by FormulaZR; 08-03-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:07 PM

2009 Z06, 2006 Touareg V8, 1999 A4 1.8t, 1997 M3
Didn't figure anyone would want to hear about those cars on here...
Man, I love it. My first car was a 3rd-gen, and I lusted after the 4th gens all through high school and college until they killed them

I'd still like to pick up an LS1-equipped 4th gen and start working on it. Might have to do that if this S4 sells here soon
Old 08-04-2009, 07:38 PM

Yes
Yep yep....everyone needs at least one LS powered vehicle!

Last edited by FormulaZR; 08-04-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:17 AM

'88 Porsche 951 / FJ Cruiser
Nice races, sounds like you enjoyed yourself. I never get any action around here. I too would have expected the C6 to pull on the T/A.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:39 PM

Yes
Originally Posted by speedfreak81
Nice races, sounds like you enjoyed yourself. I never get any action around here. I too would have expected the C6 to pull on the T/A.

I there was a twofold reason why it didn't:

1) The T/A had a little more done to it than was told.
2) The C6 needed a driver mod very badly...plus it was an LS2 car, not LS3.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
just reread and perhaps the reason the C6 wasnt as fast besides being an LS2 was that it was an auto.....different gears IIRC?