Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

Ferrari Testarossa vs NM Highway Patrol

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Ferrari Testarossa vs NM Highway Patrol

Not exactly a 'kill', but a win nonetheless, and a good story for a rainy Sunday in AZ....

I had just bought a Testarossa and was driving across country from MI to AZ. Early on my last day, while going through northern NM, I had been the only car on the road for about an hour, when I see a highway patrol car on the other side of the highway, but he had a customer. It was an old Impala, that probably couldn't have exceeded the 75mph limit if he tried. I glance down to notice that I was just trundling along at between 75-80mph, but just like when an attractive girls struts past the coffee shop, both the cop and the customer stopped what they were doing, to watch the black Ferrari go by.

Not thinking anything of it (since I wasn't speeding), I continue down the road. About 30 mins later, I look in my rear view, and I notice way, way, way off in the distance red and blue flashing lights. I think to myself, "You have to be kidding"? I have a choice, continue along and have a meeting with 5-0, or let the Ferrari breathe a little. I chose to breathe! Within a matter of seconds I was well into triple digits, and somehow those annoying lights were a distance memory. However, I certainly know you can't outrun a radio, and I decide to duck into and behind a rest area.

I sit back there and wait.... and wait, and then wait some more! Probably about 10 mins later here comes NM's finest, with lights a blaze, and down the road he goes. Maybe he wasn't after me...... or maybe he was?

Should I go, or should I stay? After about 15 minutes of procrastination....... I go! No more than 10 miles down the road, my V1 starts singing and pointing its arrows forward. As I come over a rise, the V1 screams, and in the median are 3 patrol cars, radar on......... waving at me as I go by!

At my next gas stop, as I am filling up, sure enough 3 NM highway patrol cars pull in and surround me and the TR. I figure that something ugly is going to happen and I brace for the worst.

They actually just wanted to look at the car as they had never see one before. After yacking cars for an hour, one of the patrolman admits that he was trying to chase me, and didn't have a chance. He said that he thought he saw something black and low, but then it was just gone! So he wasn't sure if it was me. I, of course admitted to nothing!
Old 02-28-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2008 G55 AMG
niceeee thats a pretty cool story. and i bet you were relieved when they didnt come out of their patrol cars guns drawn!! hahaha good story..
Old 02-28-2010, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500R / 2003 BMW M5
[QUOTE=IngenereAMG;3961607] He said that he thought he saw something black and low, but then it was just gone! So he wasn't sure if it was me. I, of course admitted to nothing! [/QUOTE

Yea, it probably wasn't you! I heard NM is just crawling with Black Testarossa's! Great story.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Not exactly a 'kill', but a win nonetheless, and a good story for a rainy Sunday in AZ....

I had just bought a Testarossa and was driving across country from MI to AZ. Early on my last day, while going through northern NM, I had been the only car on the road for about an hour, when I see a highway patrol car on the other side of the highway, but he had a customer. It was an old Impala, that probably couldn't have exceeded the 75mph limit if he tried. I glance down to notice that I was just trundling along at between 75-80mph, but just like when an attractive girls struts past the coffee shop, both the cop and the customer stopped what they were doing, to watch the black Ferrari go by.

Not thinking anything of it (since I wasn't speeding), I continue down the road. About 30 mins later, I look in my rear view, and I notice way, way, way off in the distance red and blue flashing lights. I think to myself, "You have to be kidding"? I have a choice, continue along and have a meeting with 5-0, or let the Ferrari breathe a little. I chose to breathe! Within a matter of seconds I was well into triple digits, and somehow those annoying lights were a distance memory. However, I certainly know you can't outrun a radio, and I decide to duck into and behind a rest area.

I sit back there and wait.... and wait, and then wait some more! Probably about 10 mins later here comes NM's finest, with lights a blaze, and down the road he goes. Maybe he wasn't after me...... or maybe he was?

Should I go, or should I stay? After about 15 minutes of procrastination....... I go! No more than 10 miles down the road, my V1 starts singing and pointing its arrows forward. As I come over a rise, the V1 screams, and in the median are 3 patrol cars, radar on......... waving at me as I go by!

At my next gas stop, as I am filling up, sure enough 3 NM highway patrol cars pull in and surround me and the TR. I figure that something ugly is going to happen and I brace for the worst.

They actually just wanted to look at the car as they had never see one before. After yacking cars for an hour, one of the patrolman admits that he was trying to chase me, and didn't have a chance. He said that he thought he saw something black and low, but then it was just gone! So he wasn't sure if it was me. I, of course admitted to nothing!
Wow now that's a great story! Thank God they were enthused about your new beast..
Old 02-28-2010, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230 Sport
Awesome story. Could have been worse.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by OGCLK320
niceeee thats a pretty cool story. and i bet you were relieved when they didnt come out of their patrol cars guns drawn!! hahaha good story..
They actually turned out to be very cool.... which has not been the norm for allot of the traffic encounters I have had.

We were chatting for so long that I actually offered one of the cops if he wanted to drive it, and I would follow him in his patrol car. I could tell that he almost agreed, but better judgement prevailed!
Old 02-28-2010, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
nice. reminds me of a story i once had, gonna put it up.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. A normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop heart. Make the ******* chase you. He will follow. But he won't know what to make of your blinker signal that says you are about to turn right. This is to let him know you're pulling off for a proper place to talk. It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's, and fast heel-toe work.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Thumbs up Love it! 2 thumbs-up

Great read, thnx for sharing
Old 03-01-2010, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
great story!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:23 AM

'13 Dodge Dart, '16 Audi Q5
Great Story!

The thought of opening up a Testarossa, specifically a black one, on a smooth, flat, well-paved highway ... gave me goosebumps.

Fantastic.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:12 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
thanks for sharing!!! "it wasn't me..."

John
Old 03-02-2010, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Nice story but try not to do it end of the month..... they need quota !
Old 03-03-2010, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=Dragoncoach;3961839]

Yea, it probably wasn't you! I heard NM is just crawling with Black Testarossa's! Great story.
They are like Honda's in Northern NM!

Originally Posted by ZAHANMA
Great Story!

The thought of opening up a Testarossa, specifically a black one, on a smooth, flat, well-paved highway ... gave me goosebumps.
On that same trip, in the middle of an unnamed state, on an anonymous road, the TR hit a trip high of 175mph. I was fortunate enough to be along for the ride!
Old 03-09-2010, 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
god cant belive the TR made it cross country like that .. Nice story
Old 03-15-2010, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBFLO
god cant belive the TR made it cross country like that .. Nice story
Really? I guess you don't have much experience with Ferrari's. I have driven my 308, Mondial, 348, F40 and TR everywhere and never had a single problem. They really are quite good cars as well as art.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 C280
Awesome story!
Old 03-22-2010, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Great story. Even better to hear you actually DRIVE your f-cars. i'm constantly argueing with people who think f-cars fall apart the second you drive them. late model f-cars are built to be as reliable as any other car on the road.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cte430
Great story. Even better to hear you actually DRIVE your f-cars. i'm constantly argueing with people who think f-cars fall apart the second you drive them. late model f-cars are built to be as reliable as any other car on the road.
Like anything mechanical, it works better if you use it.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:42 PM

2001 Mercedes S500
I bet your heart was about to jump out of your chest. I've ran from the 5-0 before and it's about the most crazy adrenaline rush I've ever had. I have never done it before with the S 500. The 138mph speed limiter on it wouldn't give me enough speed to be able to yank away fast enough. My Volvo's don't have a speed limiter and will run off the 140mph gauge. The only time I've found that out is running away, haha.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:39 PM

C63
Great story, worth bumping.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
'16 E350, gone: '03 c230k
A couple good reads (your Viper kill story too) -thanks for sharing!!! I only did the run-away thing on one trip and hope to never do it again: I was in a rental car on a ~30 mile 'shortcut' thru the desert leading back onto the main highway. I saw the bubblegum lights on several miles back, knew I was less than 10 minutes from the main highway, so just rode the limiter as much as I could. Got to the highway and just blended in with traffic. My heart was racing as he went by a few miles down the road, and I saw him turn his lights off a minute or 2 later. I couldn't believe I got away with it!

However, at the end of the week on the way home I was trying to make my daughter's first Christmas dance recital and was late. I was cruising just under the limiter (~105), started going around a very mellow bend and then saw a car at the side of the road which appeared to be turning around - wouldn't you know it, highway patrol. Much too late to do anything when I saw him, so I hoped he just didn't notice me (yeah, right...). I was <10 minutes from turning off the highway into town and saw him quite a ways back, so tried to do the same 'blend into traffic' move once I turned off. Not a chance - he went around the other cars and picked me right out. Man, was he HOT!!! Yelling, cussing, the whole works. However, believe it or not, after telling him I was just coming back from travel, trying to make the dance recital and explained it was just starting as we were sitting there, he actually LET ME GO! He was still hot, wrote my name and license # down, swore he was going to give it to every patrol in the area and that I had better not cross the line again. I made the recital in time to see my daughter dance ... my heart was still racing.

Sorry for the highjack - this seemed like a good thread to add this to. In my experience, most troopers are reasonable people (as with anything there are exceptions, of course). You all be careful out there!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. A normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop heart. Make the ******* chase you. He will follow. But he won't know what to make of your blinker signal that says you are about to turn right. This is to let him know you're pulling off for a proper place to talk. It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's, and fast heel-toe work.
Fear and Loathing......great movie!