Kill Stories Discuss your exciting high speed excursions here!

F40 vs Sport Bike...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
F40 vs Sport Bike...

Whenever I am working in the garage, one of the neighbors always ends up 'dropping over' to say hi. I know they are wanting to check the cars out. Hell, I would be doing the same.

I was just finishing doing a fluid service on the F40 and I wanted to get it out for some exercise. Trying to end the conversation was proving futile so I asked the neighbor if he wanted to come along. He tried to hold back the 'ear to ear grin', but couldn't. So off we go.

I've never been one to hold back from a bit of fun, so I ran it up through the gears. I usually know when a passenger has not experienced anything quite like an F40 before, when they start grabbing for something to hold on to! I asked him if it was too much. He shook his head and asked for MORE! I was happy to oblige!

We accelerate hard, heading for a 90 degree freeway on ramp entrance. I brake impossibly late and turn in, getting a little power oversteer, followed by my passenger exclaiming, "Woo Hoo" in approval!

Entering any freeway and checking the rear view for recon in an F40 is always a challenge because that perspex rear window has louvers which makes it a bit difficult to assess who is behind (always a necessity in an F40). I am about to hit it when I notice a motorcycle headlight weaving through traffic. Is it a cop? Nope. As he approaches, I can see it's a big sport bike, with a t-shirt, baseball cap, shorts, and flip flops pilot at the helm.

As he approaches from the rear, he sizes up the F40. He then pulls up on the left, and scoots around on the right, followed by a wheelie and accelerates ahead. I look over at my passenger, and without saying a word he nods his head. Who am I to deny him?

I head off in pursuit and fall in behind the bike. Mr. fast guy looks over his shoulder and sees the F40. He then puts his hand behind his back and wags his index finger at me as much as to say, "don't try it"! With that, he punches it....... but I was more than ready and up to the task, and more importantly.... in the boost!

As he accelerates hard, 80, 100, 120, 130, 140... the F40 is glued to him as if attached by a wire, and I am actually not at full throttle, so as not to collect him on my hood. Shocked, he looks over his right shoulder, and his hat flies off. The he then looks over his left, and away goes his glasses.

With a right-left flick of the wrist and a brush of the throttle, we are alongside of the bike. I honk and he glances over, only to see my passenger and I wag our index fingers at him saying, "Don't even try it, you've experienced an F40"! ....... and speed away on our way deep into triple digits. I am sure I made another F40 believer out of him!
Old 05-04-2010, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG

f40 is my DREAM car. omg. great write-up.

is your car stock?

and i'm surprised i've never seen the f40 or ANY here for that matter. i've lived in the scottsdale/phoenix area for about 20 years.

edit: just looked at your sig and noticed it says "sold" next to the f40....so you no longer have it anymore?

Last edited by jturkel; 05-04-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charger SRT-8
Very good story! Your passenger/neighbor was a good sport for sure!

Do you think the sportbike downshifted into a low enough gear or was it perhaps a 600?

That rider was all kinds of stupid - no gear or safety equipment to start.

And since his glasses flew off, are you sure he saw your finger wags? Unless tucked low I would guess he was painfully temporarily blinded. What a dope!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by jturkel

f40 is my DREAM car. omg. great write-up.

is your car stock?

and i'm surprised i've never seen the f40 or ANY here for that matter. i've lived in the scottsdale/phoenix area for about 20 years.

edit: just looked at your sig and noticed it says "sold" next to the f40....so you no longer have it anymore?
Thanks for the compliment. You are in Scottsdale and haven't seen an F40? I have 3 friends with them, and they are all in Scottsdale.

It had an LM kit (bigger turbos, intercoolers, and ECU work. And yes, she is gone...... but she did leave me LOTS of memories!

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Very good story! Your passenger/neighbor was a good sport for sure!

Do you think the sportbike downshifted into a low enough gear or was it perhaps a 600?

That rider was all kinds of stupid - no gear or safety equipment to start.

And since his glasses flew off, are you sure he saw your finger wags? Unless tucked low I would guess he was painfully temporarily blinded. What a dope!
Aside from being dumb, your question reminded me of another part of the story that I had forgotten. We could hear him trying to find a gear that would let him put some distance on us, but all attempts failed!

I believe it was a CBR 900, if I remember correctly. Here's a shot of the old girl...
Old 05-04-2010, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Thanks for the compliment. You are in Scottsdale and haven't seen an F40? I have 3 friends with them, and they are all in Scottsdale.

It had an LM kit (bigger turbos, intercoolers, and ECU work. And yes, she is gone...... but she did leave me LOTS of memories!
oh that is sick!!! maybe in about 10 yrs when i'm done with medical school, residency, and hopefully most of my debt, i can start saving up for one haha

and yup...lived here for about 20 and never seen any of them.....and i've seen plenty of nice cars out here.....Veyrons, Pagani Zonda (THAT was amazing), 599 gtbs, astons, murcielagos, clk dtm....you know, the whole deal.....Scottsdale lol.....but never seen an F40
Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, CLK550
The F40 is an amazing car! Very cool write up! IMHO an F40 is the one to have unless you can get your hands on a 288 GTO! Forza!
Old 05-05-2010, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
You should have gone back to pick up his glasses and cap and keep them as a trophy
Old 05-05-2010, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jturkel
oh that is sick!!! maybe in about 10 yrs when i'm done with medical school, residency, and hopefully most of my debt, i can start saving up for one haha

and yup...lived here for about 20 and never seen any of them.....and i've seen plenty of nice cars out here.....Veyrons, Pagani Zonda (THAT was amazing), 599 gtbs, astons, murcielagos, clk dtm....you know, the whole deal.....Scottsdale lol.....but never seen an F40
I know the Veyron and Pagani guys! You should stop by the SE corner of Scottsdale Rd and Doubletree on the first Saturday of the month. Some of my friends and I get together for a Cars & Coffee. We usually have 150-200 of some very cool iron, steel and carbon fibre.....

Old 05-16-2010, 08:42 PM

06 CL55, 01 CLK55
Nice race, that guy definitely deserve it, no one in his right mind give finger because you wanted to race him, anyway since 2003 for 600 class and 04 for 1000 and up, there is no way any car sort of mass production, yes Lambo, Ferrari include it, what I call limited production starts from 7 figures, could hang with those bikes, of course with semi experience rider on the straight, and veteran on twisty.
I own a motorcycle dealership, so you could imagine I am no beginner when it comes down to bikes, and been around anything that moves fast for long enough, I also listed here only the MB I own, so trust me when I say I know how fast is any of those sport cars, anyway nevertheless nice kill and as I said he defiantly deserve it and I hope he learned a lesson.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
Originally Posted by R1MAN
since 2003 for 600 class and 04 for 1000 and up, there is no way any car sort of mass production, yes Lambo, Ferrari include it, what I call limited production starts from 7 figures, could hang with those bikes, of course with semi experience rider on the straight, and veteran on twisty.
I have to disagree, a Ferrari 430 should give a good run to a 600 from 60-140.
The newer 458 Italia and Gallardo LP560 would beat it even worse and the LP640 is a 1000 killer. That's in a straight, add corners and it will get worse for the bikes, not better.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by kindafast
The newer 458 Italia and Gallardo LP560 would beat it even worse and the LP640 is a 1000 killer. That's in a straight, add corners and it will get worse for the bikes, not better.
+1 on this one.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:57 PM

06 CL55, 01 CLK55
This is one of the most discussed subjects, cars vs bikes, however I would like to clarify about what I said.
Before anything I have to mention that what I mean by beating or winning is getting from point A to B faster, also in all my statement I assume a rider with good skill is riding the bike.
What I meant about 03-up 600 class was not a comparison to sport cars, I was just stating that since then 600 bikes have evolved or gotten a lot better, but now while we are at it, I do believe from standing still a 600 bike will beat sport cars unless they will go for some miles to reach the top speed and then yes sport car will win, I know you said 40-140, but that is where sport cars have the most advantage, but regarding your statement, yes I agree.
Now actually what I meant and was comparing the sport cars to, were 1000 and up sport bikes, since 04 1000 cc bikes started to make big numbers is HP, on some of them you can go to around 100mph in first gear, it doesn’t really make a lot of difference at the end.
Anyway in regard of sport cars vs bikes, it is my opinion that these days there is not a lot chance any of mass production cars in stock terms (if the car is mod up, then the bike should have some good add-ons as well) can beat especially 1000-up bikes, I don’t see how they can beat Hayabusa or ZX14 in straight line, you know the rule of thumb, power to weight ratio, of course you must remove the top speed restriction, also you mentioned it will be even worse in twisty, but I have to disagree on that, I do understand the whole concept of 4 wheels vs 2 wheels traction, but a race doesn’t finish in one turn, bike’s brutal acceleration will make up for its lack of traction when they are coming out of a turn, also it depends where it is happening, if we are talking about canyons or public road, then I must say not a chance for the car, in a canyon from point A a bike will get to point B sooner. And if the canyon is something like Ortega Canyon, for those not familiar with it, it is a canyon located in OC CA, it is a vary tight canyon with sharp and small turns, then even a 600 will win, actually will win easier than if you were riding a 1000, and if it happens on the race track, you will have to put a professional driver, in level of formula one, behind the wheel to beat an experienced rider, which again it wont be a fair race and in that case you will have to have a pro rider at level of GP guys, which is a whole different thing and I love to see what will happens, I can not imagine what will be the out come.
This is an old clip, but I think it fits this subject
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjWUgI_PUTs

Last edited by R1MAN; 05-17-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:50 AM

Charger SRT-8
No way. A 430 would get walked hard by a 600 and the LP640 would be AT LEAST a second behind a 1000.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...mile-list.html
Old 05-18-2010, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
Originally Posted by R1MAN
Before anything I have to mention that what I mean by beating or winning is getting from point A to B faster, also in all my statement I assume a rider with good skill is riding the bike.
What I meant about 03-up 600 class was not a comparison to sport cars, I was just stating that since then 600 bikes have evolved or gotten a lot better, but now while we are at it, I do believe from standing still a 600 bike will beat sport cars unless they will go for some miles to reach the top speed and then yes sport car will win, I know you said 40-140, but that is where sport cars have the most advantage, but regarding your statement, yes I agree.
Now actually what I meant and was comparing the sport cars to, were 1000 and up sport bikes, since 04 1000 cc bikes started to make big numbers is HP, on some of them you can go to around 100mph in first gear, it doesn’t really make a lot of difference at the end.
Anyway in regard of sport cars vs bikes, it is my opinion that these days there is not a lot chance any of mass production cars in stock terms (if the car is mod up, then the bike should have some good add-ons as well) can beat especially 1000-up bikes, I don’t see how they can beat Hayabusa or ZX14 in straight line, you know the rule of thumb, power to weight ratio, of course you must remove the top speed restriction, also you mentioned it will be even worse in twisty, but I have to disagree on that, I do understand the whole concept of 4 wheels vs 2 wheels traction, but a race doesn’t finish in one turn, bike’s brutal acceleration will make up for its lack of traction when they are coming out of a turn, also it depends where it is happening, if we are talking about canyons or public road, then I must say not a chance for the car, in a canyon from point A a bike will get to point B sooner. And if the canyon is something like Ortega Canyon, for those not familiar with it, it is a canyon located in OC CA, it is a vary tight canyon with sharp and small turns, then even a 600 will win, actually will win easier than if you were riding a 1000, and if it happens on the race track, you will have to put a professional driver, in level of formula one, behind the wheel to beat an experienced rider, which again it wont be a fair race and in that case you will have to have a pro rider at level of GP guys, which is a whole different thing and I love to see what will happens, I can not imagine what will be the out come.
This is an old clip, but I think it fits this subject
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjWUgI_PUTs
When I said 1000, I meant just that not 1300 or 1400. Those are a bit too much for the cars I mentioned. But if I had a LP560 I wouldn't even consider racing a 750+ from dig. if it's a 600 I would ask for a 60 and the lowest I would give him is a 40. I beat a CRB1000 with exhaust from 90-155 in my almost stock Z06. And he wasn't a bad rider.
A lot of the races do depend on the driver, I never had a bike so I can't comment on that, but I would assume there is a lot more to it than just mashing a pedal like in an automatic car.

I did some spirited driving a while ago on a hilly road with twisties .3 bikes came along, lost the first two in less than 30 seconds, the other one was an old friend and I slowed to let him catch up a few times, but if I wanted he would of been left easily. They were college guys, so I doubt their skill level was high.

From personal experience bikers are over confident in their ability to take on a car and they expect that because one old man was shifting his car like a grandma I will be doing the same.

Oh and last time I checked the automobile is ahead of motorcycles in the mile

No way. A 430 would get walked hard by a 600 and the LP640 would be AT LEAST a second behind a 1000.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...mile-list.html
I wouldn't go from 0 with a biker if it was for braging rights, unless they would do a 100+ roll the next race. Why give them such an advatange?

Not a fan of paper racing based on other people's results, but if I was racing a 1000 in an LP640 from 60-140 my money would be on me .

Last edited by kindafast; 05-18-2010 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:19 AM

Charger SRT-8
That's in a straight, add corners and it will get worse for the bikes, not better.
A top rider on a factory bike will beat the best in car on the the road circuit but not by much. Low 1:30s at Laguna Seca, maybe 1:29s. On public roads however, you're right.

I beat a CRB1000 with exhaust from 90-155 in my almost stock Z06. And he wasn't a bad rider.
That is debatable depending upon the year of the bike.

Not a fan of paper racing based on other people's results, but if I was racing a 1000 in an LP640 from 60-140 my money would be on me .
Data is data and a 15mph+ trap speed differential says everyone else's money would probably be on the bike.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:36 PM

06 CL55, 01 CLK55
When I said 1000, I meant just that not 1300 or 1400. Those are a bit too much for the cars I mentioned. But if I had a LP560 I wouldn't even consider racing a 750+ from dig. if it's a 600 I would ask for a 60 and the lowest I would give him is a 40. I beat a CRB1000 with exhaust from 90-155 in my almost stock Z06. And he wasn't a bad rider.
A lot of the races do depend on the driver, I never had a bike so I can't comment on that, but I would assume there is a lot more to it than just mashing a pedal like in an automatic car.

I did some spirited driving a while ago on a hilly road with twisties .3 bikes came along, lost the first two in less than 30 seconds, the other one was an old friend and I slowed to let him catch up a few times, but if I wanted he would of been left easily. They were college guys, so I doubt their skill level was high.

From personal experience bikers are over confident in their ability to take on a car and they expect that because one old man was shifting his car like a grandma I will be doing the same.
I wish you'd know that it has nothing to do with my interest on bikes, the only category these days 1000 fell behind higher cc, like Hayabusa, is right at the top speed, assuming both bikes have removed the top speed restriction, and thats not by much, I have a ZX14, all stock, and every time I ride with friends who owns 1000, there is no way I can leave them behind
I have to ask you again that do you mean a race starts from 60 mph and ends at 140 mph? if your answer is yes, in my opinion any late model 1000 bike will win, but then again as you said, its all paper racing, you’ll never know until you do or see it for yourself.
Also I agree, some bikers act over confident about their skill and ability, let alone take on cars, just like the guy who got his *** handed over to him by IngenerAMG, in fact I see them daily, for some its really easy to get fool by a bike, after few months when they are not that afraid anymore, they think they have learned everything there is, and what do you know next is they went down, after years still it makes me sick in my stomach every time I hear that such and such went down and such and such happened, I see them every day coming back after few months to buy some accessories and the way they walk and talk shows they are full of arrogance and they are ready to go pro, its good and I think it’s a must for a rider to be confident about their riding skill, but that’s one thing and being arrogant/ignorance and not know your limit quite the other, remind you there are few like this, but those few bad apples are enough to give a bad impression about bikers.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I haven't been back here in a while. It always brings a chuckle when I hear this bike or car, will beat that other car or bike. Most of the time what really matters is the skill and commitment of the variable behind the wheel or in the saddle. That is even more important if it is a bike.

I have a fair amount of experience with 4 wheels and have taken apart lots of 4 wheel and 2 wheel opponents, and found that all the arm chair racing in the world can't take the place of skill, experience and commitment. A 750 hp Ford GT or a 190 hp superbike is useless and probably dangerous in the wrong hands and usually just ends up scaring and/or humiliating its owner.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210 E55 & W204 C63
all the arm chair racing in the world can't take the place of skill, experience and commitment.
Hit the nail on the head there
Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211-55
It always brings a chuckle when I hear this bike or car, will beat that other car or bike....

I have a fair amount of experience with 4 wheels and have taken apart lots of 4 wheel and 2 wheel opponents, and found that all the arm chair racing in the world can't take the place of skill...
Gotta love those arm chair racers and their hypothetical races. The "if this" and "if that" has gotten so old, you can't tell a kill story anymore without hearing about how you will lose or should have lost.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
Power:weight supremacy and operator skill are the only factors that matter.

Skill on a bike is paramount since anyone can hammer in a car if they've no fear.

Anyone riding a bike without full gear is clearly a total amateur.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:42 PM

Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by cahiil55k
Gotta love those arm chair racers and their hypothetical races. The "if this" and "if that" has gotten so old, you can't tell a kill story anymore without hearing about how you will lose or should have lost.
I guess when I post how I beat a C5Z about 6 times from a dig and mutiple rolls, you won't bring up how it should have walked me provided it was properly driven.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
What year Z06 and what year CBR 1000. I have a 2008 CBR 1000 and I have no issues from a roll or stop beating my buddies 2002 Z06. I think 0-60 on a 2008 CBR 1000rr is around mid 2 sec range and a C5 Z06 is around 4. That is quite a bit of difference right there by the time both drivers reach 60 MPH.

I am actually in the market right now for a 2002-2004 Z06 but it is not a match for a newer newer liter bike. 1.5 sec's is a bunch of car lengths.

Dont get me wrong the Z06's are no slouch but not liter bike material stock. Every since I drove his car I was amazed with the power. Just sold my E39 M5 to get the Z06.

Oh and last time I checked the automobile is ahead of motorcycles in the mile

I wouldn't go from 0 with a biker if it was for braging rights, unless they would do a 100+ roll the next race. Why give them such an advatange?

Last edited by bud4ya; 05-25-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
Right on the money. You wack the throttle on a newer liter back at 80-100 MPH in first or second you are going over backwards if you are not covering that rear brake.

I haven't been back here in a while. It always brings a chuckle when I hear this bike or car, will beat that other car or bike. Most of the time what really matters is the skill and commitment of the variable behind the wheel or in the saddle. That is even more important if it is a bike.

I have a fair amount of experience with 4 wheels and have taken apart lots of 4 wheel and 2 wheel opponents, and found that all the arm chair racing in the world can't take the place of skill, experience and commitment. A 750 hp Ford GT or a 190 hp superbike is useless and probably dangerous in the wrong hands and usually just ends up scaring and/or humiliating its owner.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211-55
I guess when I post how I beat a C5Z about 6 times from a dig and mutiple rolls, you won't bring up how it should have walked me provided it was properly driven.
I will occasionally break out the flag is it's completely obvious but nope I would never make excuses for the losing party. That's just sore losing.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:32 PM

Charger SRT-8
Originally Posted by cahiil55k
I will occasionally break out the flag is it's completely obvious but nope I would never make excuses for the losing party. That's just sore losing.
Personally I prefer races where both machines are driven to their potential. Makes it more exciting and a better comparison of performance. I understand your POV.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: F40 vs Sport Bike...