M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Navigation icon with X thru it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation icon with X thru it

What does this mean? Mercedes installed my Nav system today and I drove out of the dealership and noticed the icon. I am in New York but it shows me to be in the Pacific a few miles off the California coast.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Believe it means that no Sats are being received
Old 02-08-2006, 10:05 PM

1996 - C220/2001 - ML430/ 2005 RX-330
Originally Posted by KevinL
What does this mean? Mercedes installed my Nav system today and I drove out of the dealership and noticed the icon. I am in New York but it shows me to be in the Pacific a few miles off the California coast.
Yup, no satellites being received is what the red x means. You don't say how old your 163 is so it could be they didn't connect the antenna, didn't connect it correctly, the antenna is corroded under the roof mount (common problem in 04's and older), wire is broken or corroded off the blade under the rubber mount, etc. Could also be the map disk is defective (boot sector not loading the hardware initializers) - make sure your map dvd is not someone else's copy that wasn't copied correctly. I assume if MB did the install that a copied cd is not the problem however but it will cause that symptom. Could also be as simple as not in an area that can receive signals (if you're in Manhattan in the canyons of buildings). You must have a totally unobstructed view of the southern horizon for it to pick up the satellite waves. If MB installed it take it back and tell them to fix it.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:46 AM

Thanks

It is a 2003 ML350. I am in a good area for reception.

Got the Nav from MBDoctor and Mercedes put it in. They used their disk and I then put in the disk I got (copy) with the dvd nav unit after I left the dealership.

It does show me moving but apprears to be in the Pacific ocean (I am on the East coast)

I will have them put their disk in, but if it is not the disk will Mercedes fix the problem...?

Last edited by KevinL; 02-09-2006 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Thanks

It is a 2003 ML350. I am in a good area for reception.

Got the Nav from MBDoctor and Mercedes put it in. They used their disk and I then put in the disk I got (copy) with the dvd nav unit after I left the dealership.

It does show me moving but apprears to be in the Pacific ocean (I am on the East coast)

I will have them put their disk in, but if it is not the disk will Mercedes fix the problem...?
Could be also you have a bad unit. Was it new or used?? Do not think that MB will stand up to this one and rightfully so. They did not supply the unit nor did they supply the disc. You may have saved a few dollars but look what you have now. Was it worth it?? You should have done it right. Now you know why many MB dealers do not want to install stuff that customers carry in.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:57 PM

Ahh the plot thickens...

I called Sammy at MB Doctor. Told him I might have a bad unit or DVD. Mercedes told me the unit was working when I left. If it was a bad unit they should have known before it left the service department. Sammy was sceptical of it being a bad unit. He called me back an hour later and mentioned he would be on Long Island about 20 miles away and if I wanted he would stop by and test the unit. If id was a bad unit he would swap it ou. I of course said yes. He navigated his way to my house, pulled out the Nav unit while I was sitting next to him. The antena was NOT plugged in. He put it in and it aquired satelites in what seemed like 60 seconds. He put the unit back in place. It took him 3 minutes. I was amazed. We drove around the block with it running and I am very happy I bought it. In an off hand comment I mentioned to Sammy how the radio looks so dated with the black and white, while the nav is so colorful. He asked me if I wanted to change the color to blue, I agreed and he hooked up his lap top and changed it. My radio looks slick now. I can not say enough good things about this guy. He goes a mile a minute and his cell phone never stops ringing. He left me to do another install (video) for a new s500. I could tell by the conversation it was a repeat customer. He stands behind his work and I will use him for my satelite and dvd player.

I called Mercedes from the car and they gave me a credit for the install.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:08 PM

Cool. I figured it was something like that.

Trending Topics

Old 02-13-2006, 08:03 PM

Navigation - a little jumpy?

Most of the time my Nav is dead on, but twice now it seems to wander and plot incorrectly, staying off the streets but will then correct itself and then wander again.

This ever happen to anyone?
Old 02-14-2006, 10:20 PM

Most of the time my Nav is dead on, but twice now it seems to wander and plot incorrectly, staying off the streets but will then correct itself and then wander again.

This ever happen to anyone?
Yes, often, especially in small town Arkansas. You can go to navteq.com and report any off-route wandering or wrong streets and such so they can fix their map data. They have a whole entry screen just for it. My Lexus and MB are both off in the same areas of town and both have the same navteq maps underlying the software, so it is a navteq problem instead of a MB nav problem.